THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1093, 1094, 1095 ... 3670, 3671, 3672  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject:

Article

Story about the other guy in the room with Kavanugh and Ford. The guy has written extensively about how they used to party so hard they'd black out. Kavanaugh self-described himself as the "Treasurer of the 100 Kegs" Club.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
The Thief wrote:
kikanga wrote:
adkindo wrote:

I am not sure what exactly the claim is....are you suggesting there is a large segment of the population that is doing worse in the current economy than they were 2,4,or 6 years ago? If your complaint is that in a booming economy, the rich benefit more on a net dollar basis.....then I am not sure how you would remedy that, or why you feel it needs remedied at all. The Rich will always gain more on a net dollar basis in a growing economy.

The way you gush over our economy where 80% of workers are living paycheck to paycheck.
It kinda makes me sick.

You could also attribute that to people spending money of items that they just don't need or just general mismanagement of money. I don't think that number means 80% of people that are buying the essentials only are living paycheck to paycheck. That symptom is not just a symptom of the poor. I know people that have a healthy income but just don't do any type of financial planning.

I can't even take your post seriously. Especially the bolded. It's borderline offensive.

It's the old 'avocado toast and iphone over health care' spiel that some tone deaf republican struck out with over a year ago.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:

It's the old 'avocado toast and iphone over health care' spiel that some tone deaf republican struck out with over a year ago.

I never really understood the avocado toast issue. A loaf of bread and 1 avocado costs maybe $2 total and that's for the entire loaf of bread.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
The Thief wrote:
kikanga wrote:
adkindo wrote:

I am not sure what exactly the claim is....are you suggesting there is a large segment of the population that is doing worse in the current economy than they were 2,4,or 6 years ago? If your complaint is that in a booming economy, the rich benefit more on a net dollar basis.....then I am not sure how you would remedy that, or why you feel it needs remedied at all. The Rich will always gain more on a net dollar basis in a growing economy.

The way you gush over our economy where 80% of workers are living paycheck to paycheck.
It kinda makes me sick.

You could also attribute that to people spending money of items that they just don't need or just general mismanagement of money. I don't think that number means 80% of people that are buying the essentials only are living paycheck to paycheck. That symptom is not just a symptom of the poor. I know people that have a healthy income but just don't do any type of financial planning.

Do you really consider this economy a success when 80% of workers live paycheck to paycheck?
Unemployment is down. Underemployment and working poor numbers are up.

- When was the last time in America the majority of workers did not work pay check to pay check?

- Underemployment and working poor numbers are up from when?

I get the game...I have probably been guilty of playing it in the past....it is imperfect, so it must not be good, but that is not how we have ever evaluated the economy as it relates to our political leaders. They are judged on what the economy was when they took office, to where it is now....along with relevant caveats. There is simply no data that I am aware of that suggests any material segment of the population is performing poorer financially today than they were in 2016, 2012, or 2008.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
adkindo wrote:
MIT Sloan School of Management study claims twice as many undocumented immigrants in the U.S. as commonly believed

Quote:
There are roughly twice as many undocumented immigrants in the U.S. as commonly believed, according to a sweeping new study by MIT Sloan School of Management's Mohammad Fazel-Zarandi, a Senior Lecturer in the Operations Research and Statistics group, and his colleagues, Edward Kaplan and Jonathan Feinstein, both from Yale School of Management.

The study, which is published today in PLOS ONE, estimates that there are about 22.1 million undocumented immigrants in the U.S.; the most prominent current estimate is 11.3 million. Even using parameters intentionally aimed at producing a conservative estimate, the study finds a population of 16.7 million undocumented immigrants.

LINK

I guess this means that "undocumented's" are involved in approximately half the crime, as a percentage, than previously thought?

Assume you would need to do some research or perform a study for that answer. I do not know the answer, but I would bet on the simplistic correlation you suggest would not prove accurate.....but again, I do not know the answer.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
ribeye wrote:
adkindo wrote:
MIT Sloan School of Management study claims twice as many undocumented immigrants in the U.S. as commonly believed

Quote:
There are roughly twice as many undocumented immigrants in the U.S. as commonly believed, according to a sweeping new study by MIT Sloan School of Management's Mohammad Fazel-Zarandi, a Senior Lecturer in the Operations Research and Statistics group, and his colleagues, Edward Kaplan and Jonathan Feinstein, both from Yale School of Management.

The study, which is published today in PLOS ONE, estimates that there are about 22.1 million undocumented immigrants in the U.S.; the most prominent current estimate is 11.3 million. Even using parameters intentionally aimed at producing a conservative estimate, the study finds a population of 16.7 million undocumented immigrants.

LINK

I guess this means that "undocumented's" are involved in approximately half the crime, as a percentage, than previously thought?

Assume you would need to do some research or perform a study for that answer. I do not know the answer, but I would bet on the simplistic correlation you suggest would not prove accurate.....but again, I do not know the answer.

The number of crimes committed by "undocumented's" did not change; only the pool of people changed.

Let's try it this way: Let's say we have a population believed to be 100 people and based on what we know, 10 of them are left handed. We later learn that it was really 200 people. The percentage went from 10% to 5% due to the previously thought erroneous assumption.

Last edited by ribeye on Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
There is simply no data that I am aware of that suggests any material segment of the population is performing poorer financially today than they were in 2016, 2012, or 2008.

Have you heard of Puerto Rico before?

Inflation is destroying any chance of real wages increasing.

Quote:
Real wages are essentially flat in the past year

As inflation increases it puts a damper on wages. While average hourly earnings have increased from $26.34 per hour to $27.05, or 2.7% over the past year, inflation at 2.9% has actually lead to real wages falling a small amount from $10.78 per hour a year ago to $10.76 in July this year.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckjones/2018/08/11/trumps-economic-scorecard-higher-inflation-flat-wages-and-a-ballooning-federal-deficit/#62d6601022fa
Quote:
Rising prices have erased U.S. workers’ meager wage gains, the latest sign strong economic growth has not translated into greater prosperity for the middle and working classes.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2018/08/10/america-wage-growth-is-getting-wiped-out-entirely-by-inflation/?utm_term=.cbaffd394083

Last edited by kikanga on Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:28 pm; edited 3 times in total
The Thief
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
The Thief wrote:
kikanga wrote:
adkindo wrote:

It kinda makes me sick.

I can't even take your post seriously. Especially the bolded. It's borderline offensive.

Yes because a proper budget could never help people get out of the paycheck to paycheck trap...gasp
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
adkindo wrote:
There is simply no data that I am aware of that suggests any material segment of the population is performing poorer financially today than they were in 2016, 2012, or 2008.

Have you heard of Puerto Rico before?

Inflation is destroying any change of real wages increasing.

Quote:
Real wages are essentially flat in the past year

As inflation increases it puts a damper on wages. While average hourly earnings have increased from $26.34 per hour to $27.05, or 2.7% over the past year, inflation at 2.9% has actually lead to real wages falling a small amount from $10.78 per hour a year ago to $10.76 in July this year.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckjones/2018/08/11/trumps-economic-scorecard-higher-inflation-flat-wages-and-a-ballooning-federal-deficit/#62d6601022fa
Quote:
Rising prices have erased U.S. workers’ meager wage gains, the latest sign strong economic growth has not translated into greater prosperity for the middle and working classes.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2018/08/10/america-wage-growth-is-getting-wiped-out-entirely-by-inflation/?utm_term=.cbaffd394083

To add (notice the growth from 2014, Qtr 2 to 2017, Qtr 2, about when the leader of the Republican Party took over--though without any real input until the tax cuts that started in 2018, Jan--and then since):

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/graph/?id=LES1252881600Q,

What is it you (adkindo) are so excited about?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:

I never really understood the avocado toast issue. A loaf of bread and 1 avocado costs maybe $2 total and that's for the entire loaf of bread.

Really? Are you buying day old bread and half a avocado?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:

You see an avocado is a very fancy fruit that is only enjoyed by the coastal elites and the materialistic younger generation. No bootstraps working man would fork over the vast fortune that each one costs and be so nonchalant about the luxury of even having one available as to spread it on toast and eat it like it was common apple.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:

You see an avocado is a very fancy fruit that is only enjoyed by the coastal elites and the materialistic younger generation. No bootstraps working man would fork over the vast fortune that each one costs and be so nonchalant about the luxury of even having one available as to spread it on toast and eat it like it was common apple.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject:

GOP lawmaker's siblings endorse Dem opponent: 'Difficult to see my brother as anything but a racist'

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/gop-lawmakers-siblings-endorse-dem-opponent-difficult-to-see-my-brother-as-anything-but-a-racist/ar-AAAsu49?ocid=ientp

Thank you family members. dont stand by and watch your loved ones or friends or people you know harm other people when you know they are racist/sexist/whatever else ist. Dont just stand by and try to look the other way. Do something about it.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
adkindo wrote:
ribeye wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Quote:

LINK

The number of crimes committed by "undocumented's" did not change; only the pool of people changed.

Let's try it this way: Let's say we have a population believed to be 100 people and based on what we know, 10 of them are left handed. We later learn that it was really 200 people. The percentage went from 10% to 5% due to the previously thought erroneous assumption.
rib, you know and I know, that he knew what you meant the first time.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject:

The Thief wrote:
kikanga wrote:
adkindo wrote:

It kinda makes me sick.

Poor people spend 60% of their paychecks on necesseties, middle class families are about an even split between necessities and luxury goods, while the wealthy spend 65% of their incomes on luxury goods.

We are a nation of debtors, as food, healthcare, education, and transportation costs have risen while wages have stagnated - not to mention a decade of near zero interest rates - Americans have been incentivized to spend and borrow.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:

How much do you think a loaf of bread costs? Cheaper brands, like Wonder Bread are $1.88. Natures Own is just under $3. Smaller avocados are about $.60, larger ones can be had for $1. All fresh.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:27 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

Quote:

LINK

Good!
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject:

Interesting. I wonder if she would pursue this.

Quote:
BREAKING: Montgomery MD PD Chief Tom Manger confirms will investigate sexual allegations against Brett Kavanaugh if a complaint is filed. ⁦@CNN⁩ ⁦@ChrisCuomo⁩

https://twitter.com/BrianKarem/status/1043306079713734657
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject:

Since the weekend is coming up and this thread is mostly populated by lefties both centrist and progressive, I was wondering what bold policy reforms the LG politicos would push for under a Democratic presidency with House and Senate majorities.

To start off:

1) Statehood for Puerto Rico and D.C.
2) Pack SCOTUS - push for up to 13 (15?) seats, let the GOP freak out, and then try to fix the number of SCOTUS seats via constitutional amendment.

Anyone else?
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
jodeke wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:

How much do you think a loaf of bread costs? Cheaper brands, like Wonder Bread are $1.88. Natures Own is just under $3. Smaller avocados are about $.60, larger ones can be had for $1. All fresh.

Boston area - cheapest loaf of whole wheat bread: $2.50 to $3.99
Regular avocado - $1.50 to $2.00
Items only cheaper if on sale or in bulk
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject:

Grassley grants Kavanaugh accuser another extension.....
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

Attacking a possible victim is not a pretty look.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Since the weekend is coming up and this thread is mostly populated by lefties both centrist and progressive, I was wondering what bold policy reforms the LG politicos would push for under a Democratic presidency with House and Senate majorities.

To start off:

1) Statehood for Puerto Rico and D.C.
2) Pack SCOTUS - push for up to 13 (15?) seats, let the GOP freak out, and then try to fix the number of SCOTUS seats via constitutional amendment.

Anyone else?

Why is that a "bold policy reform".....the previous two administrations (Bush/Obama) supported Puerto Rico's choice to become a state or remain a territory. I do think if it happens, it will be an extremely difficult transition for residents of Puerto Rico beyond the very large segment of the population who are very opposed to becoming state; being forced to operate as a state and pay federal income taxes. That being said, I do think in the long run, it would be in PR's best interest to obtain statehood.

Last edited by adkindo on Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:45 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
adkindo wrote:

who attacked someone? where did this attack take place?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:22 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
adkindo wrote:

who attacked someone? where did this attack take place?

LINK

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1093, 1094, 1095 ... 3670, 3671, 3672  Next
Page 1094 of 3672
Jump to: