THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1094, 1095, 1096 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:47 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Grassley grants Kavanaugh accuser another extension.....

Attacking a possible victim is not a pretty look.

who attacked someone? where did this attack take place?

WHAT'D I DO???
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:43 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:

It's the old 'avocado toast and iphone over health care' spiel that some tone deaf republican struck out with over a year ago.

I never really understood the avocado toast issue. A loaf of bread and 1 avocado costs maybe $2 total and that's for the entire loaf of bread.

I always thought avocado toast is metonymy for fancy brunches.
And in fairness, my generation is (bleep) obsessed with brunch. Or, at least the yuppies among us.

Of course, an iPhone and brunch are pennies compared to rent and college tuition. So yeah, a swing and a miss.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:08 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

Because he doesn't have the votes. And he's terrified of Dr. Blasey Ford.

Last edited by Baron Von Humongous on Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:14 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Since the weekend is coming up and this thread is mostly populated by lefties both centrist and progressive, I was wondering what bold policy reforms the LG politicos would push for under a Democratic presidency with House and Senate majorities.

To start off:

1) Statehood for Puerto Rico and D.C.
2) Pack SCOTUS - push for up to 13 (15?) seats, let the GOP freak out, and then try to fix the number of SCOTUS seats via constitutional amendment.

Anyone else?

Why is that a "bold policy reform".....the previous two administrations (Bush/Obama) supported Puerto Rico's choice to become a state or remain a territory. I do think if it happens, it will be an extremely difficult transition for residents of Puerto Rico beyond the very large segment of the population who are very opposed to becoming state; being forced to operate as a state and pay federal income taxes. That being said, I do think in the long run, it would be in PR's best interest to obtain statehood.

I'm glad it's not considered bold!

I hope it's a sign of a near future bipartisan push for Puerto Rico statehood.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:10 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

That is how many days Merrick Garland's nomination was open.

And he never got a vote

And he never had an allegation of attempted rape against him.

And you're worried about a week or so?

Your partisanship strains your credibility
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject:

Grassley granted another extension because as her lawyer explained, she had spent the day being interviewed by the FBI because of the numerous death threats she had received. Therefore she was not available to confer with her attorney about Grassley's latest offer.

If Grassley had not granted her another extension in light of this, he would look even more like a big unfeeling sexist jackass and would have made the GOP's gender gap problem even worse. Besides, he knows that none of the male GOP senators' votes will be swayed no matter how she testifies. So it was better for him politically to look like he was trying to be accommodating.

In this case posting a "No" smiley indicates disagreement with the above sentiments and instead affirmation that victim's concerns (death threats, she and her family having to vacate their home, travel complications) should be disregarded . That is a passive aggressive shot at the abuse victim. The unspoken implication is, "Why is she taking so long? What's her problem, anyway?"

See, that's how passive-aggressive BS works. You say something in a way that could be misinterpreted then deny the attack afterwards. "Who me, what did I do?"
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject:

Quote:
The Hoarse Whisperer @HoarseWisperer

“I’m not ready.”

“You have to be.”

“I’m not ready.”

“It’s too late to stop.”

“I’m not ready.”

“We need to finish this.”

“Can’t we just slow this down.”

“No. You know you started this.”

The negotiation between Senate R’s and Dr. Blasey Ford feels familiar.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject:

Now, back to dragging Trump:

Tariffs could mean a 2M drop in car sales and cost 715,000 jobs, warns auto industry group

Quote:
The impact of President Donald Trump's escalating (bleep)-for-tat over tariffs is already being felt, say auto industry experts. New car prices are beginning to rise, and auto exports are dropping. But a new report warns that sales could plunge by as much as 2 million vehicles a year, resulting in the loss of up to 715,000 American jobs and a hit of as much as $62 billion to the U.S. GDP.

Quote:
Already enacted tariffs on imported aluminum and steel have added about $240 to the cost of producing a new car, truck, or crossover in the U.S., noted Peter Nagle, a senior economist with research firm IHS Markit. And the first round of tariffs with China is adding still more to the price that manufacturers have to pay for a variety of parts used on American assembly lines.

The impact will grow as a result of the second round of China tariffs, Nagle added, cautioning that a “dizzying” series of trade moves will “exacerbate” the problems the auto industry faces as it struggles to head off the first downturn in sales since emerging from the depths of the last recession. Activating tariffs using Section 232 rules would likely prove devastating, he warned.

Nagel estimated consumers would be “looking at price increases of $1,300 for a typical mass market product, up to $5,800 for a luxury vehicle.” Those increases would not be limited to just imported vehicles. Toyota, for example, has forecast the price of a U.S.-made Camry would rise about $1,600.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject:

It's getting more and more difficult to watch the NEWS. It's so depressing not to be able to stop what Trump is doing to our Democracy. Some of our representative are worthy of being choked. I'll get out and vote and encourage all in my orbit to do same. IMO that's our only hope.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:

Tariffs could mean a 2M drop in car sales and cost 715,000 jobs, warns auto industry group

Quote:
The impact of President Donald Trump's escalating (bleep)-for-tat over tariffs is already being felt, say auto industry experts. New car prices are beginning to rise, and auto exports are dropping. But a new report warns that sales could plunge by as much as 2 million vehicles a year, resulting in the loss of up to 715,000 American jobs and a hit of as much as $62 billion to the U.S. GDP.

Quote:
Already enacted tariffs on imported aluminum and steel have added about $240 to the cost of producing a new car, truck, or crossover in the U.S., noted Peter Nagle, a senior economist with research firm IHS Markit. And the first round of tariffs with China is adding still more to the price that manufacturers have to pay for a variety of parts used on American assembly lines.

The impact will grow as a result of the second round of China tariffs, Nagle added, cautioning that a “dizzying” series of trade moves will “exacerbate” the problems the auto industry faces as it struggles to head off the first downturn in sales since emerging from the depths of the last recession. Activating tariffs using Section 232 rules would likely prove devastating, he warned.

Nagel estimated consumers would be “looking at price increases of $1,300 for a typical mass market product, up to $5,800 for a luxury vehicle.” Those increases would not be limited to just imported vehicles. Toyota, for example, has forecast the price of a U.S.-made Camry would rise about $1,600.

Fewer cars being bought might be the first time Trump did something good for the environment
Buy used, people!
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject:

Washington Post: Trump couldn’t hold back about Christine Ford. There is no bottom.

Quote:
The biggest political story of this year’s elections may end up being that we all underestimated just how deeply alienated the female electorate might grow from President Trump — and, possibly, the Republican Party as well.

On Friday, Trump finally gave up and succumbed to his raging urge to slime Christine Blasey Ford, which he had managed to keep bottled up for a miraculous five days:

Quote:
This also comes as a new batch of polling out Friday suggests that the Republican Party’s problems among women in the midterms may be getting worse. Here’s a rundown:

A new Reuters poll finds that larger percentages of Democrats than Republicans are certain to vote this fall, relative to 2014, a year Republicans won handily — and crucially, this is particularly pronounced among various female constituencies. The percentage of Democratic women overall who are certain to vote is nine points higher than in 2014 — while among GOP women it’s two points lower. This pattern is even more pronounced among specific female constituencies, such as young women and white women older than 60, who are incredibly fired up to vote.

A new USA Today poll finds that Brett M. Kavanaugh’s Supreme Court nomination is under water amid accusations of sexual assault, with Americans opposing Senate confirmation of him 40 to 31 percent. Those abysmally low numbers are heavily driven by women, who oppose confirmation by 20 points, 43 to 23 percent.

A new NBC News poll also finds Kavanaugh’s nomination under water, with 38 percent of Americans opposing it and only 34 percent in support — with opposition rising nine points since last month. Again women figure heavily, with women over 50 moving from being +3 on confirmation last month to -7 now, and suburban women jumping to -11 now. There’s also been a drop of 14 points among Democratic women.

A new analysis from Janie Velencia of FiveThirtyEight, which combined numerous polls from this month, found that women favor Democrats in the generic House ballot matchup by an average of 15 points. As Velencia concluded: “That’s a bigger margin than the one by which they voted for Democrats in 2016 (+10 points), 2014 (+4 points) or 2012 (+11 points).”
Velencia also found a large gender gap driving Democratic leads in multiple statewide races. Recent polls show Kyrsten Sinema enjoying a 22-point lead among women in the Arizona Senate race; Phil Bredesen with a 21-point lead among women in the Tennessee Senate race; and Tony Evers leading Scott Walker by 16 points among women in the Wisconsin gubernatorial race.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject:

Since some folks here are into conspiracy theories, how about the doppelganger theory tweeted out by Ed Whelan, President of the Ethics & Public Policy Center, last night?

Here's a brief rundown (link):
Quote:
Amid the maneuvering, the nomination was roiled further late Thursday by incendiary tweets from a prominent Kavanaugh friend and supporter who publicly identified another high school classmate of Kavanaugh’s as Ford’s possible attacker.

Ed Whelan, a former clerk to the late justice Antonin Scalia and president of the Ethics and Public Policy Center, pointed to floor plans, online photographs and other information to suggest a location for the house party in suburban Maryland that Ford described. He also named and posted photographs of the classmate he suggested could be responsible.

Ford dismissed Whelan’s theory in a statement late Thursday: “I knew them both, and socialized with” the other classmate, Ford said, adding that she had once visited him in the hospital. “There is zero chance that I would confuse them.”

Republicans on Capitol Hill and White House officials immediately sought to distance themselves from Whelan’s claims and said they were not aware of his plans to identify the former classmate, now a middle school teacher, who could not be reached for comment and did not answer the door at his house Thursday night.

On Friday morning, Whelan said he had made an “inexcusable mistake” by identifying Kavanaugh’s classmate.

“I made an appalling and inexcusable mistake of judgment in posting the tweet thread in a way that identified Kavanaugh’s Georgetown Prep classmate,” he said on Twitter. “I take full responsibility for that mistake, and I deeply apologize for it. I realize that does not undo the mistake.”

Whelan has been involved in helping to advise Kavanaugh’s confirmation effort and is close friends with both Kavanaugh and Leonard Leo, the head of the Federalist Society who has been helping to spearhead the nomination. Kavanaugh and Whelan also worked together in the Bush administration.

Kavanaugh and his allies have been privately discussing a defense that would not question whether an incident involving Ford happened, but instead would raise doubts that the attacker was Kavanaugh, according to a person familiar with the discussions.

Despite Whelan's retraction, his preposterous doppelganger theory was boosted by the dolts on Fox & Friends this morning. And the conservative Twittersphere is revealing that whispers of Whelan's bombshell had been floating around D.C. over the past few days. In fact, Matt Whitlock - Orrin Hatch's Deputy CoS - and unnamed sources in a Politico article (link) from yesterday morning were amplifying hype for Whelan's "bombshell" before it dropped.

Now I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but I'm skeptical Ed Whelan came up with this alternate narrative all by his lonesome and that he had this bombshell he thought would exonerate his friend and didn't let anyone else know at least the outlines of his lame doppelganger theory before tweeting it all out last night. Maggie Haberman of the failing NYTimes agrees:
Quote:
Maggie Haberman
@maggieNYT
Sort of surprising that people seem to think Whalen did this by sifting through Google in the dark. The move was incredibly irresponsible to put some citizen’s name out there. But he was clearly working off oppo. Who helped him/knew is a valid question.

Then the next logical question has to be "how much did Brett Kavanaugh know about his friend Ed Whelan's doppelganger theory before Thursday?"

An evil twin update:

The aforementioned hack, Ed Whelan, coordinated his evil twin conspiracy theory with conservative PR firm CRC Public Relations, which is working with The Federalist Society and the Judicial Crisis Network to promote Kavanaugh's confirmation (see here). As the linked article notes, CRC was the firm behind the infamous Swift Boat Veterans smear campaign again John Kerry in the 2004 presidential race. Whelan was workshopping his absurd theory with CRC head honcho Greg Mueller, an old Pat Buchanan flunky:
Quote:
CRC Public Relations, the prominent Alexandria, Virginia-based P.R. firm, guided Whelan through his roller-coaster week of Twitter pronouncements that ended in embarrassment and a potential setback for Kavanaugh’s hopes of landing on the high court, according to three sources familiar with their dealings.

After suggesting on Twitter on Tuesday that he had obtained information that would exculpate Kavanaugh from the sexual assault allegation made by Christine Blasey Ford, Whelan worked over the next 48 hours with CRC and its president, Greg Mueller, to stoke the anticipation. A longtime friend of Kavanaugh’s, Whelan teased his reveal — even as he refused to discuss it with other colleagues and close friends, a half dozen of them said. At the same time, he told them he was absolutely confident the information he had obtained would exculpate the judge.

Today, a now former Senate Judiciary Committee spokesman and CRC flack, Garrett Ventry, was fired for undisclosed sexual harassment claims from a previous job:
Quote:
It is unclear to what extent Whelan was coordinating with members of the Senate Judiciary Committee and other Republicans on Capitol Hill.

A former CRC employee, Garrett Ventry, had been working for Judiciary Committee chairman Chuck Grassley (R., Iowa) until Saturday, when he resigned after news surfaced that he had faced accusations of sexual harassment in the past. NBC News first reported the resignation.

A source said Ventry had joined the Committee after the Federalist Society requested that CRC send somebody over to the Hill to help with the Kavanaugh nomination.[...]

But Whelan was in communication with at least one Republican member of the committee this week, and that member told associates he was aware Whelan’s theory involved the home of a Kavanaugh classmate near the Chevy Chase Country Club.

Link

Now I'm no conspiracy theorist, but it seems like Ventry is the fall guy for this moronic PR snafu. Everyone on the Senate Judiciary Committee and Brett Kavanaugh are going to of course deny having detailed knowledge of Greg Mueller and Ed Whelan's inane doppelganger theory, but it's interesting that Whelan - who grew up in Santa Monica - had detailed information about the childhood homes of Blasey Ford, Kavanaugh, Mark Judge, the private citizen obliquely accused by Whelan of the crime, and an unnamed second woman. How in the heck does Whelan know the identity of this still unnamed woman whose childhood home he pinpointed on Google maps as part of his Twitter conspiracy presentation?

And how in the hell did Whelan know to go poking around Christine Blasey Ford's LinkedIn profile this past weekend before her name was revealed in a Post story?
Quote:
On Sunday, Ford noticed that — even before her name became public — Whelan appeared to be seeking information about her.

That morning, Ford alerted an associate via email that Whelan had looked at her LinkedIn page, according to the email, which was reviewed by The Post. LinkedIn allows some subscribers to see who views their pages. Ford sent the email about 90 minutes after The Post shared her name with a White House spokesman and hours before her identity was revealed in a story posted on its website.

A White House spokesman said Friday that neither Kavanaugh nor anyone in the White House gave Ford’s name to Whelan before it was disclosed by The Post.

Link

So it seems someone with knowledge of Kavanaugh's prep school social group and perhaps knowledge of a gathering where Dr. Blasey Ford alleges she was sexually assaulted has been feeding Ed Whelan info that Whelan has used to coordinate an insane attack on a former classmate of Kavanaugh's in order to clear Kavanaugh's name. Who provided Whelan this information if it wasn't Kavanaugh or Blasey Ford?

And how much did top staff in Hatch and Grassley's offices really know about CRC and Whelan's snooping and conspiracy theory hit job? Did they tell their bosses? Did they coordinate with Whelan and Mueller through CRC flack Ventry?

Ironically, in an effort to create a conspiracy theory to smear two people and clear Kavanaugh's name, Whelan, Mueller, and Judiciary Committee staff members may have been parties to a conspiracy.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject:

^^^I hope the Dems on the committee ask Kavanaugh if he knew about this covert GOP ops to clear him by implicating someone else. I know he'll lie, but I want to see them make him squirm.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Alibaba's Jack Ma backs down from promise to Trump to bring 1 million jobs to the US

Quote:

"The promise was made on the premise of friendly US-China partnership and rational trade relations," Ma told Chinese news site Xinhua on Wednesday. "That premise no longer exists today, so our promise cannot be fulfilled."

Thank you Republicans
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
^^^I hope the Dems on the committee ask Kavanaugh if he knew about this covert GOP ops to clear him by implicating someone else. I know he'll lie, but I want to see them make him squirm.

Right on, and to get Kavanaugh's denials on the record for future impeachment hearings (hopefully from his DC Circuit Court gig after his SCOTUS bid fails).

Also, as an FYI to the conspiracy theorists on the board, Blasey Ford's attorney says her client will testify next week. Blasey Ford has also retained the services of Michael Bromwich, former DOJ IG who also represents Andy McCabe.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject:

I'm curious

Why do the Billionaire Christians want to stop abortions

Do they think it is going to enhance their chance at getting into Heaven?
Sincere. .
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
I'm curious

Sincere. .

The Bible is based on Patriarchy. Men are in charge and women and children are their property. Women are only to be granted the rights that the Patriarchy give them. Biblical patriarchy doesn't care about fetuses, they are about controlling women's bodies and libidos. Women aren't individual beings with a right to their own sexuality. That's also why they are against birth control, they don't believe women should have sex outside a marriage. Women and children are objects. That's also why they don't really care if women or children are sexually assaulted and have no problem supporting the men who do these things. I'm not saying all Evangelical Christians believe this. But it is the foundation layed out in the Bible. And most women who are Evangelicals hold these beliefs too, it's not just men.
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
I'm curious

Sincere. .

The Bible is based on Patriarchy. Men are in charge and women and children are their property. Women are only to be granted the rights that the Patriarchy give them. Biblical patriarchy doesn't care about fetuses, they are about controlling women's bodies and libidos. Women aren't individual beings with a right to their own sexuality. That's also why they are against birth control, they don't believe women should have sex outside a marriage. Women and children are objects. That's also why they don't really care if women or children are sexually assaulted and have no problem supporting the men who do these things. I'm not saying all Evangelical Christians believe this. But it is the foundation layed out in the Bible. And most women who are Evangelicals hold these beliefs too, it's not just men.

Actually you can say this. If they don't they're not Evangelicals.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject:

I'm curious

Sincere. .

If you truly believe life starts at conception, then that is reason enough.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
adkindo wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
adkindo wrote:

LINK

I attacked the bs game the lawyers are trying to play....I said nothing negative about Ms. Ford.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

he has the votes....it is a done deal...just trying to avoid giving the Democrats and their propaganda machine (aka msm) any additional false narratives.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
adkindo wrote:

That is how many days Merrick Garland's nomination was open.

And he never got a vote

And he never had an allegation of attempted rape against him.

And you're worried about a week or so?

Your partisanship strains your credibility

thought this thread did not like "whataboutisms"? Has nothing to do with Garland. You do not know my opinion on how Garland was handled. Garland was not smeared with extremely questionable accusations, nor was his reputation damaged for pure political reasons.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
In this case posting a "No" smiley indicates disagreement with the above sentiments and instead affirmation that victim's concerns (death threats, she and her family having to vacate their home, travel complications) should be disregarded . That is a passive aggressive shot at the abuse victim. The unspoken implication is, "Why is she taking so long? What's her problem, anyway?"

See, that's how passive-aggressive BS works. You say something in a way that could be misinterpreted then deny the attack afterwards. "Who me, what did I do?"

your partisan glasses are so thick that you go to an extreme degree to diminish anyone or anything that does not agree with you. I explained my post, and even more....look at the time stamp....had her attorney's given their claim or reasoning for the delay? No....it was posted right as news broke from Grassley....but you spend 30 minutes creating this entire fictional thought process that I went through because you do not like that I am pointing out that her attorneys have delayed and stalled all week.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:36 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
adkindo wrote:

he has the votes....it is a done deal...just trying to avoid giving the Democrats and their propaganda machine (aka msm) any additional false narratives.

Why would he ever give a (bleep) about Democrats propaganda?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject:

The Lebrons wrote:
adkindo wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
adkindo wrote:

WHAT'D I DO???

Just once...just one time, I would like to see you add an opinion or something to the conversation instead of jumping in with passive aggressive comments because you think you're in agreement with the thread regulars.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1094, 1095, 1096 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next
Page 1095 of 3663
Jump to: