THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1183, 1184, 1185 ... 3669, 3670, 3671  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:

It's just as likely McCain voted with Democrats on Obamacare because it was his way of sticking it to Trump for his vindictive personal comments. McCain could be a contrarian at times -- not necessarily for the sake of policy, but for the sake of his own ability to be the center of attention.

When his "Straight-Talk-Express" failed to win him the nomination, he came back the next time around and caved on every single one of his previous principles. He went around and bowed down to every single right-wing foundation or evangelical institution letting them know he'd do their bidding this time around. If he believed in campaign finance reform in the distant past, that belief had long since been jettisoned in favor of acquiring the nomination by any means necessary.

Was he less personally nauseating than: Trump, McConnell, Nunes, Hatch, etc? Yes. But that's not saying all that much. He was a tiny bit less bad than the rest of the herd.

(The other Republican who manages to pull this off is John Kasich -- he seems like a nice guy who is fairly polite but his policies are 100% extreme right wing. He was forced to pull back a time or two in Ohio due to protests and pressure, but again, that's not saying much.)

I don't know McCain's motives; I only know his vote. Did I mention it was HUGE?

Correct me if I missed the exact nature of this, but didn't McCain and Obama agree to limit the use of outside spending, and Obama, for reasons I don't remember right now, was the one who opted out of that agreement?

OK, close enough. I could add more people, at least triple digits, and likely many multiples of that, but I get it: Even a better Republican will be nauseating way more often than not.

ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject:

Meanwhile down in Georgia, where Secy of State Brian Kemp is running for governor while also controlling the voting regulations:

Analysis: Brian Kemp has purged over 300,000 voters from Georgia rolls

Quote:
Georgia Secretary of State Brian Kemp is accused of seeking to suppress the black vote ahead of his big election

Quote:
Georgia has removed over 300,000 voters from the state's voter rolls over the past two years, a team of database experts, statisticians, lawyers and investigators working with the Palast Investigative Fund told reports on a call Friday morning.

Quote:
It also follows a report that Kemp had blocked 53,000 voter registrations – 70 percent of them from African-Americans. The news comes just weeks before Kemp's election against Georgia Democrat Stacey Abrams, who could become the state's first black governor. Kemp used the controversial "exact match" program to purge nearly the voters from the rolls in over the last two years. Under the policy, voter registration applications and their driver's license, social security or state ID records must have identical information. This means that any minor discrepancy, such as a typo, missing hyphen or middle initial could result in a rejection.

Kemp was also named in two other lawsuits over absentee ballot rejections in Gwinnett County. Voting rights groups filed lawsuits after discovering the county had rejected absentee ballots from Asian-Americans at four times the rate of white voters and ballots from African-Americans at three times the rate of white voters.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject:

Everywhere they are in power, the standard game plan for the GOP is to suppress the vote. It's just the playbook, like talking about less regulation and lower taxes. North Dakota, Texas, Kansas, and Georgia are just the current egregious examples, but it is happening everywhere, as they seek to turn a minority into a representative majority.

And if you listen to them, they quite clearly talk about why they are doing it within their own ranks. In Pennsylvania, the voter ID law they sought to implement under the GOP governor was by their own admission designed to hand the state's electoral votes to the GOP. But when you talk about any of these, they go to voter fraud they can never document, and why is it so hard to get an ID? (while they make it as hard as possible). Because they never want to talk about their actual motives.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Oh look, here are the Republicans trying to limit the Hispanic vote in Kansas.

Quote:
Ari Berman @AriBerman

There is only 1 polling place for 27,000 people in Dodge City, KS, which is 60% Hispanic, & it's being moved outside of town, 1 mile from nearest bus stop. Happening at same time Kris Kobach, one of most anti-immigrant politicians in US, running for gov

Republican Kris Kobach is running for governor at the same time he is Secy of State controlling the voting system. So in essence, he's a corrupt, cheating racist.

If Republican ideas for governing are so intrinsically great and worthwhile, why do they need to cheat to win? Shouldn't their ideas stand on their own and be voted up or down? Republicans don't want or respect democracy, they want to rule by any means necessary.

Have to start calling the Attorney General of these states
Call all of their local Churches and ask to speak to the pastor or whoever..
Engage them politely and ask if they support Racism and if they can do something to stop it. Tell them Jesus was BROWN

I may call.. someone.. just so I hear from them how they feel and so they know how I feel.

https://ag.ks.gov/complaint-center
The Kansas Attorney General's Office handles complaints and investigation requests regarding a number of issues. Please choose the topic that best describes your complaint:

https://www.dodgecity.org/54/City-Commission

http://www.fordcounty.net/220/County-Clerks-Office
Debbie Cox
County Clerk
dcox ( a t ) fordcounty.net
Phone: 620-227-4550

Churches
https://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=Churches&find_loc=dodge+city,+ks
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject:

I once watched an episode of Rescue 911 on Animal Planet

Rescued a nice German Shepard and it didn't pass the food bowl test so they told us they had to put it down.. This was a TV show.. the city was Detroit.. I called politely just to ask why they had to put it down and she told me I was the 7th person that called since the show ended.

Call these people

Get their names and make them tell you they support Racism and then put it in their local papers.

What sane person believes (bleep) WITH VOTING 2 weeks out is LEGIT AND HONORABLE

Call the military .. (bleep) it.. just get everyone involved that can possibly be involved.. 3 way the SPLC ACLU etc..

Very Honorable way to GET IN THEIR FACE.. by phone politely .. don't go all Borat on them
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject:

The Russians never stopped -- shocker. And the Trump administration has done nothing to deter them -- shocker.

New Justice Department Case Shows Russia Is Now Attacking the Midterm Elections. Putin’s assault on America didn’t stop after the 2016 election—and it still favors Trump.

Quote:
On Friday, the US attorney in the Eastern District of Virginia unsealed a criminal complaint accusing a Russian national named Elena Alekseevna Khusyaynova of conspiring to interfere in the US political system. The document maintains that as a financial officer, she was part of the effort mounted by the Internet Research Agency, a troll farm in St. Petersburg funded by a Russian oligarch close to Vladimir Putin, to use Facebook and Twitter accounts to influence politics in the United States. The IRA’s role in Putin’s attack on the 2016 election—a scheme that was part of what’s known as “Project Lakhta”— has already been revealed. But the complaint highlights a less-known fact: The Russian attack “continues to this day” and is partially aimed at the 2018 midterm campaign. That is, the United States, as it heads toward a crucial election, remains under assault by the Kremlin.

Quote:
The Justice Department contends the “strategic goal” of the Russian operation is to “sow division and discord in the US political system, including by creating social and political polarization, undermining faith in democratic institutions, and influencing US elections, including the upcoming 2018 midterm elections.”

Quote:
As the complaint puts it, the Russian operation aimed to “inflame passions on a wide variety of topics, including immigration, gun control and the Second Amendment, the Confederate flag, race relations, LGBT issues, the Women’s March, and the NFL national anthem debate” and that it sought to exploit specific events in the United States, including the “Unite the Right” rally in Charlottesville organized by white supremacists and the Las Vegas mass shooting.

So Republicans don't have to run on their "polices," they just let Russian trolls rile up their base on culture war issues, and let Trump reinforce those exact issues at his rallies.

Hey, that sounds a lot like what happened in 2016 when Trump colluded with Russia to steal the election! And they are trying it again because there haven't been any negative consequences for them -- yet.

The good news is there are more of us than them -- IF WE ALL GET OUT AND VOTE.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Sahil Kapur @ sahilkapur

ICYMI: Internal RNC poll recently warned candidates that "most voters believe that the GOP wants to cut back on (Social Security and Medicare) in order to provide tax breaks for corporations and the wealthy." Urged them to counter it.

Link

So what did they do? They all started LYING about it and pretending they support the ACA, pre-existing conditions, Medicare and SS. That's the strategy: LIE. Just like Trump.

GOP:
Cheat the voters at the polls.
Cheat the composition of the electorate through gerrymandering.
Stoke racial and cultural fears.
When all else fails, lie. Lie often, lie loudly and lie continuously. And never admit the lie and never admit your past assertions were wrong (the tax cuts will pay for themselves).
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject:

I'm starting to get a sense of voter fatigue. I wonder if this will affect next month's vote, i.e. if turnout is going to be worse than expected. For the last few months, I've seen more and more people just avoiding politics all together. Fatigue/disillusionment setting in.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject:

Women are still angry, still working to make it happen, and still fired up. 🔥🔥🔥
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
I'm starting to get a sense of voter fatigue. I wonder if this will affect next month's vote, i.e. if turnout is going to be worse than expected. For the last few months, I've seen more and more people just avoiding politics all together. Fatigue/disillusionment setting in.

Early voting in Georgia is up more than 300% over 2014 mid-terms and growing each day. Absentee ballots also up all over.

Don't be swayed by the mainstream media and their "Democrats are in disarray" and "Democrats have no message." It's 1000% bull****.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

Early voting in Georgia is up more than 300% over 2014 mid-terms and growing each day. Absentee ballots also up all over.

Don't be swayed by the mainstream media and their "Democrats are in disarray" and "Democrats have no message." It's 1000% bull****.

I haven't been watching the news much. Just talking about people around me.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

Early voting for many states starts next week (Oct. 22, 27...). Will be interesting to see turnouts.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject:

I voted by mail this week...my boys and their others are going to vote this weekend...my older son has large block of friends/coworkers that live in Austin Tx many that are/were republicans all voting for Beto
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject:

On Maddow show tonight, they reported Tennessee early voting is up 300% over 2014. The Senate seat is Corker's open seat (retiring) and is between Marsha Blackburn (one of the House teaparty reps) and former Tennessee governor Democrat Phil Bredesen. The race is a toss-up with a slight edge for Bredesen.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

I think that’s something that is happening more in “safe” spaces. In battlegrounds, passions are high.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:49 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
On Maddow show tonight, they reported Tennessee early voting is up 300% over 2014. The Senate seat is Corker's open seat (retiring) and is between Marsha Blackburn (one of the House teaparty reps) and former Tennessee governor Democrat Phil Bredesen. The race is a toss-up with a slight edge for Bredesen.

Blackburn is actually a 3 to 1 favorite
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

Europe’s top court ordered Poland’s government on Friday to immediately halt implementation of a controversial law designed to force nearly two dozen of the nation’s Supreme Court justices into early retirement.

Link

Bannon and the Mercers
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Republican Lawmakers Break With Trump After President Claims Saudis' Explanation of Khashoggi Death 'Credible'

https://www.newsweek.com/republicans-break-trump-over-acceptance-saudi-khashoggi-death-explanation-1179883
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Quote:
Republican Lawmakers Break With Trump After President Claims Saudis' Explanation of Khashoggi Death 'Credible'

https://www.newsweek.com/republicans-break-trump-over-acceptance-saudi-khashoggi-death-explanation-1179883

Two Republicans are better than zero, but I expect the majority will remain silent or support Trump, and this to get lost in the shuffle.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:10 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Quote:

Two Republicans are better than zero, but I expect the majority will remain silent or support Trump, and this to get lost in the shuffle.

Big paychecks to all who side with Kushner Bin Trumpn
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject:

Watch this and try to imagine Trump, Sarah Sanders, and Manafort in the same position. Mueller giving his judgment.

VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:15 am    Post subject:

Jon Ralston
https://twitter.com/RalstonReports

@RalstonReports

Been watching early voting a long time and I don’t think I have ever seen Dems win Washoe by 15 points — 49-34. It’s NV’s swing county, GOP has 2 percent edge. It’s only one day, we still need to see Clark. But that is a bad omen for Repubs.

Jon Ralston

@RalstonReports

Replying to @sorceror43
Jon Ralston Retweeted Sorceror43
Huge day for Dems in Clark, too. Almost 3 percent over reg lead. Thanks, @sorceror43!Jon Ralston added,
Sorceror43

@sorceror43
Clark County First day of #EarlyVote:

Dems 14.5k (48.4%), GOP 10.1k (33.6%), Oth 5.4k (18.0%). Total votes cast: 30.1k…

Jon Ralston

@RalstonReports

I’ll have analysis on my blog tomorrow, but big first day of really voting for Dems in Nevada. Turnout was close to presidential year levels. We will know in a few days if anomaly or trend.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ that's what we like to hear
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:04 am    Post subject:

Early voting is up all over. That favors the Dems. But remember, that means the press and Republicans will double-down on their "Dem blue wave has evaporated" "Dems are in disarray" "Dems have no message." blah blah blah. When they do that, they are trying to depress the Democratic vote. Ignore and keep voting, donating, volunteering.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject:

Jon Ralston
@RalstonReports

Also, on the day President Trump came to Elko to rev up the base and drew more than 8,000 people, guess how many people went out and voted in Elko County on Saturday? 435.

Maybe everything he touches doesn't turn to gold, @SenDeanHeller?

https://twitter.com/RalstonReports/status/1054043302293471232

The Early Voting Blog

https://thenevadaindependent.com/article/the-early-voting-blog

Turnout in Clark County was near-presidential year levels, with 30,000 voters turning out and Democrats winning by about 4,500 votes: 14,735-10,210. That’s 48 percent to 33 percent, which means Democrats were 6 percent above their registration and Republicans were 4 percent above theirs.

So the Democrats, who need to build a firewall in Clark, have a 4,500-vote lead. In contrast, in 2014, that lead after the first day was nonexistent, signaling a red wave. There was no southern firewall in 2014, so the Republicans swept everything. Turnout also was a third of what it was this year. 2018 is not 2014.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject:

Jon Ralston
‏@RalstonReports
https://twitter.com/RalstonReports/status/1054160972158357504

Another big turnout day in Clark. In 2014, it was about 7,500 on Day Two. As of 3 PM today, 17,000 had turned out. Going to be three or four times last midterm.

@earlyvotedata
Replying to @RalstonReports
But it isn’t the same number as yesterday...is that normal in your experience because it is a Sunday? Looks like final number will be around 25k?

Jon Ralston
@RalstonReports

Always drop off on Sunday.

@RalstonReports

Another double-digit win for Dems in Washoe (Reno). GOP has 2 percent reg edge there.Jon Ralston added,

@RalstonReports
Dems crushed it again today in GOP Washoe. Very unusual.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1183, 1184, 1185 ... 3669, 3670, 3671  Next
Page 1184 of 3671
Jump to: