THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1248, 1249, 1250 ... 3670, 3671, 3672  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:56 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
In the past I held empathy for Melania.

Not me. She's always been a glorified mail-order bride with zero substance who knowingly married a scumbag.

I feel that her biggest sin is that she knowingly participated in the birther conspiracy. Most people don't know that and the press rarely points it out.

Not divorcing POTUS45 and wearing that coat at such a sensitive time are her worst sins so far..

She MUST BE LIKE donald to stick around that long

I am sure she must have enough money saved up to divorce him and let the world know what he has done to America and that Putin is telling him to destroy our alliances....
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:06 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Not me. She's always been a glorified mail-order bride with zero substance who knowingly married a scumbag.

I feel that her biggest sin is that she knowingly participated in the birther conspiracy. Most people don't know that and the press rarely points it out.

I'd be willing to bet that if the truths were known, that'd be amongst the least of her sins.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:08 pm    Post subject:

Melania is all about the money. I've never bought any of her bs.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:26 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:
Katie Porter takes the lead in Ca 45.

Told you about those races breaking late for Dems Chickenstu!

Indeed, you did!

I should also point out that Young Kim's lead over Gil Cisneros in CA-39 has dwindled to just 711 votes; her lead was 1,957 votes on Monday. It was about 4,000 the night after Election Day. And of course, the Kim campaign is trying to drum up corruption allegations in the vote count process.

https://www.mysanantonio.com/technology/businessinsider/article/Tensions-flare-as-candidates-accuse-each-other-of-13389592.php
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:15 am    Post subject:

Why attack Melania? she's not the president. I'm ok with her or her office giving suggestion to the office of POTUS, private or in public as long as it doesn't put the US in a badlight. It is the POTUS who decide
NMLaker
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:26 am    Post subject:

How’s that anti cyber bullying campaign going?
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:58 am    Post subject:

Melania is just like her husband, obsessed with appearances and expensive things. That's not so bad as long as you're not hurting anybody but such people have no business being in government, let alone the White House. Honestly there should be a requirement that a person has to have worked in some kind of public service before they can become president.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:17 am    Post subject:

Right after Trump's election when people were worried about how Democrats were going to "win back" Trump's WWC voters, I said the answer was not to chase them but to expand the electorate. And that's exactly what happened.

CNBC A week later it’s clear the midterms did produce a blue wave – here are the three main factors that drove the Democrats’ triumph
Quote:
John Harwood [AT] JohnJHarwood

expanding margins from 2014 to 2018 that propelled blue wave:

—under 30, +11D to +35D
—women, +4 to +19
—Latinos, +26 to +40
—Asians, -1 to +54
—college grads, -3 to +20
—independents, -12 to +12
—single, +13 to +24
—not white evangelical, +12 to +34

Quote:
Those currents were demographic change, Democratic mobilization and disaffection with President Donald Trump. As is clearer now than on election night, they produced a blue wave that has fundamentally altered the political calculus of the capital.

The demographic changes follow long-established trends. Year by year, the share of whites in the population shrinks while the share of Latinos, blacks and Asian-Americans swells.

Educational attainment keeps rising, especially among women. Declining marriage rates leave a larger proportion of Americans living as single adults. The rural population declines, while urban and suburban areas grow.

Quote:
All those demographic trends expand the pool of Democratic-leaning voters. But they’ve been offset in recent midterm elections by low rates of voting among specific Democratic constituencies, most notably young voters and Latinos.

That’s where the second current — Democratic mobilization — made a difference. In small but consistent ways, the party’s campaigns altered turnout patterns in their favor.

Exit polls provide one basic measure. In 2010 and 2014, about the same number of Democrats and Republicans showed up to vote. This year, Democrats outnumbered Republicans by 4 percentage points.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:24 am    Post subject:

Asians -1 to +54

wow
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:51 am    Post subject:

LAT: Trump, stung by midterms and nervous about Mueller, retreats from traditional presidential duties

Quote:
For weeks this fall, an ebullient President Trump traveled relentlessly to hold raise-the-rafters campaign rallies — sometimes three a day — in states where his presence was likely to help Republicans on the ballot.

But his mood apparently has changed as he has taken measure of the electoral backlash that voters delivered Nov. 6. With the certainty that the incoming Democratic House majority will go after his tax returns and investigate his actions, and the likelihood of additional indictments by special counsel Robert S. Mueller III, Trump has retreated into a cocoon of bitterness and resentment, according to multiple administration sources.

Behind the scenes, they say, the president has lashed out at several aides, from junior press assistants to senior officials. “He’s furious,” said one administration official. “Most staffers are trying to avoid him.

The official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, painted a picture of a brooding president “trying to decide who to blame” for Republicans’ election losses, even as he publicly and implausibly continues to claim victory.

Quote:
Publicly, Trump has been increasingly absent in recent days — except on Twitter. He has canceled travel plans and dispatched Cabinet officials and aides to events in his place — including sending Vice President Mike Pence to Asia for the annual summits there in November that past presidents nearly always attended.

Jordan’s King Abdullah II was in Washington on Tuesday and met with Secretary of State Michael R. Pompeo, but not the president.

Quote:
Although it was Veterans Day, Trump bucked tradition and opted not to make the two-mile trip to Arlington National Cemetery in northern Virginia to lay a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, as presidents since at least John F. Kennedy have done to mark the solemn holiday.

That's your guy, Trumpsters. A small bitter narcissist who only cares about how things affect him personally. And no, he wasn't sent by Jesus to save you from the Librulz.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:01 am    Post subject:

Washington Post: Five days of fury: Inside Trump’s Paris temper, election woes and staff upheaval

Quote:
As he jetted to Paris last Friday, President Trump received a congratulatory phone call aboard Air Force One. British Prime Minister Theresa May was calling to celebrate the Republican Party’s wins in the midterm elections — never mind that Democrats seized control of the House — but her appeal to the American president’s vanity was met with an ornery outburst.

Trump berated May for Britain not doing enough, in his assessment, to contain Iran. He questioned her over Brexit and complained about the trade deals he sees as unfair with European countries. May has endured Trump’s churlish temper before, but still her aides were shaken by his especially foul mood, according to U.S. and European officials briefed on the conversation.

Quote:
During his 43-hour stay in Paris, Trump brooded over the Florida recounts and sulked over key races being called for Democrats in the midterm elections that he had claimed as a “big victory.” He erupted at his staff over media coverage of his decision to skip a ceremony honoring the military sacrifice of World War I.

The president also was angry and resentful over French President Emmanuel Macron’s public rebuke of rising nationalism, which Trump considered a personal attack. And that was after his difficult meeting with Macron, where officials said little progress was made as Trump again brought up his frustrations over trade and Iran.

“He’s just a bull carrying his own china shop with him when­ever he travels the world,” presidential historian Douglas Brinkley said.

Quote:
“Trump needs adulation, so heading into the midterms, holding these rallies, he was cheered and it became narcissistic fuel to his engine,” Brinkley said. “After the midterm, it’s the sober dawn of the morning.”

Quote:
But Trump quickly grew infuriated by a torrent of tweets and media coverage suggesting that the president was afraid of the rain and did not respect veterans.

Trump told aides he thought he looked “terrible” and blamed his chief of staff’s office, and Fuentes in particular, for not counseling him that skipping the cemetery visit would be a public-relations nightmare.

This is what happens when people consume Fox News 24/7 and stay firmly entrenched in the right-wing bubble of alternate facts, lies and bogus conspiracy theories. Reality comes back to bite you in the ass. Thanks to all who voted Democratic for making this happen.

Last edited by ChefLinda on Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:23 am; edited 1 time in total
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:09 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Why attack Melania? she's not the president. I'm ok with her or her office giving suggestion to the office of POTUS, private or in public as long as it doesn't put the US in a badlight. It is the POTUS who decide

Probably shouldn't say anything bad about Eva Braun either

Wives that support evil....... Should be self explanatory
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject:

Another way of looking at the stats in the previously posted analysis:

Quote:
John Harwood ( a t ) JohnJHarwood

the blue wave of 2018 in a nutshell:

Republicans carried white evangelical Christians by 53 percentage points

Democrats carried everyone else by 34 points

white evangelical Christians are only one-fourth of the electorate
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
tox wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:
Katie Porter takes the lead in Ca 45.

no longer ashamed of my home district

wowzers i expected that race to be done already

Orange County Registrar of Voters had tons of votes to count. Here's last night's report:

Quote:
Total estimated number of ballots to count (after Election Day): 441,011

Total estimated number of ballots counted (after Election Day): 179,411

Total Estimated Left to Count: 261,600

At this point they've counted all of the vote-by-mail ballots received by election day, none of the 21,000 vote-by-mail ballots received after election day, none of the 160,000 provisionals, two-thirds of the 188,000 packets dropped-off at the polls on election day, about a fourth of the 13,000 election day paper ballots, and none of the 3,200 conditional voter registrations.

Note that this is for all ballots counted by the OC Registrar, and not just CA-45.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject:

WHITE HOUSE CREATES 'POLICY TIME' TO GET DONALD TRUMP TO FOCUS ON WORK INSTEAD OF 'EXECUTIVE TIME'

Translation: He spends most of his time watching TV, tweeting and talking to his buddies on the phone and spends very little time actually performing the duties of the office. He is a lazy, pathetic joke.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:

Quote:
John Harwood _at_ JohnJHarwood

I've been voting Dems for a few elections but I think you're seeing a lot more of previously centrist GOP folks who have abandoned that party in droves and are voting Dem.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:
So much Trump exceptionalism:

Presidents & Executive Politics Presidential Greatness

Spoiler alert: #WorstPresidentEver

Interesting that Obama's ranking jumped up 10 places in 4 years -- by which I mean not a surprise when staring at the grotesque contrast between a real president and a fake president every day.

Fitting company.

Of the last 12 names on the list, 4 of them died in office, one was assassinated, William Henry Harrison died only 34 days in, and Harding had a lovechild with a 20-something. Andrew Johnson, Buchanan, and Hoover are always among the bottom in those lists as is Franklin Pierce, whose son was crushed in a train accident soon before he took office, giving him more than enough leeway to suffer in his work. Nixon rounds out the lot. Johnson was spared from impeachment by one vote and Nixon (you know what).

I'm not a conservative, but like the article mentions, I would have Polk clearly higher, Grant clearly lower, and Carter clearly lower. Polk and Carter are only separated by 6 spots, and I find that to be ludicrous.

Polk was probably the most efficient 1-term President (who didn't run for another term). Carter is a great man and always was, but I actually believe his level of personal standards worked against him in that particular job. He went out of his way to needlessly put anyone in harm's way and when he does decide to sends teams to rescue the hostages, the situation goes fubar and he gets the blame. He wasn't cozy with fat cats in Congress of either party. Tip O'Neill didn't like him and he was a Democrat. Carter was cursed by the times in which he governed. Polk was a Jacksonian slaveholder. Those Presidents are usually among the bottom tier in modern lists for that reason. He's probably both high and low in this list considering personal beliefs/actions and political/professional success.

One who I'm surprised to see that high is Woodrow Wilson, whose racial viewpoints were notoriously lousy. Not that he didn't have achievements on the world stage, but in terms of a poll conducted in 2018. McKinley over Polk is a bit odd, too. If anyone with a tenure ended by an assassin should be higher, it's JFK. The man should be credited for sparing the free world from devastation. If either LBJ or Nixon were President during the CMC, things might've been vastly different. Jimmy Carter had met with Castro numerous times over the years and Fidel told him they had armed(!) nukes with his command to fire at the US if the US invaded. Fidel was prone to bombast, but this was after a prior attempt by the US to overthrow him. Dangerous game that Kennedy handled with great wisdom and composure.

It is hard for me, a casual history student and far from being a scholar, to rank presidents beyond those I lived under. Still, I have read about many of these men, and a few, such as Kennedy, Johnson, the Roosevelt's, Lincoln and Jefferson, more than just a little.

Your points are solid though I disagree (with you and most scholars) with the low rating for Carter. He was the first president to experience negative talk radio, and I believe many, if not most, formed a negative opinion on him largely as a result. I know I did at the time. He was far ahead of the curve when he asked us to begin conservation. Regardless what anyone thinks about this, this is becoming the norm and will be the norm for most in the near future--if not for protecting the environment, for the cost. Saint Reagan gets credit (mostly undeserved) for ending the cold war, for cutting regulations and pork, and for fighting the Afghan rebels, but these all began with Carter. Besides Clinton, Carter was the last president to see the US debt to GDP decrease. He is blamed for high inflation and the Iranian hostage crisis (the solution to which was delayed due to Reagan's intervention), neither of which were problems he or his policies created. I see him around 20th in ranking and Polk in the low to mid teens, so the distance between is about the same.

I agree that Woodrow Wilson is overrated, but like Andrew Jackson, I expect he will see his rankings drop over time, and that McKinley over Polk is unusual. I always rank JFK higher than most, for the reasons you mentioned, that he was masterful with the Missiles of October dire situation.

LBJ is one of the hardest to rank for me. I so hated that damn war. I have come to understand the difficulties he faced with that war, so, though, he made some major mistakes, I have begun to think, the die had already been cast by the time he took over. On the other hand, we know what an amazing accomplishment was the Civil Rights legislation as well as the voting rights legislation that he rammed through with will and gile--that his party has yet to recover from.

Last edited by ribeye on Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Like someone once said, she knew what she signed up for.
Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
WHITE HOUSE CREATES 'POLICY TIME' TO GET DONALD TRUMP TO FOCUS ON WORK INSTEAD OF 'EXECUTIVE TIME'

Translation: He spends most of his time watching TV, tweeting and talking to his buddies on the phone and spends very little time actually performing the duties of the office. He is a lazy, pathetic joke.

I would much rather have Donny Johnny watching TV and phone chatting than doing Presential stuff and (bleep) things up more.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject:

You go high, we go low:

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject:

Quote:
LBJ is one of the hardest to rank for me. I so hated that damn war.

But he's averaging 26/8/7...oh wrong thread.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:
LBJ is one of the hardest to rank for me. I so hated that damn war.

But he's averaging 26/8/7...oh wrong thread.

Well-played!
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
You go high, we go low:

That was edifying. Thanks.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Quote:
John Harwood AT JohnJHarwood

I've been voting Dems for a few elections but I think you're seeing a lot more of previously centrist GOP folks who have abandoned that party in droves and are voting Dem.

I think there are a lot of 2016 Trump voters that are gettable in 2020.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:
So much Trump exceptionalism:

Presidents & Executive Politics Presidential Greatness

Spoiler alert: #WorstPresidentEver

Interesting that Obama's ranking jumped up 10 places in 4 years -- by which I mean not a surprise when staring at the grotesque contrast between a real president and a fake president every day.

Fitting company.

Of the last 12 names on the list, 4 of them died in office, one was assassinated, William Henry Harrison died only 34 days in, and Harding had a lovechild with a 20-something. Andrew Johnson, Buchanan, and Hoover are always among the bottom in those lists as is Franklin Pierce, whose son was crushed in a train accident soon before he took office, giving him more than enough leeway to suffer in his work. Nixon rounds out the lot. Johnson was spared from impeachment by one vote and Nixon (you know what).

I'm not a conservative, but like the article mentions, I would have Polk clearly higher, Grant clearly lower, and Carter clearly lower. Polk and Carter are only separated by 6 spots, and I find that to be ludicrous.

Polk was probably the most efficient 1-term President (who didn't run for another term). Carter is a great man and always was, but I actually believe his level of personal standards worked against him in that particular job. He went out of his way to needlessly put anyone in harm's way and when he does decide to sends teams to rescue the hostages, the situation goes fubar and he gets the blame. He wasn't cozy with fat cats in Congress of either party. Tip O'Neill didn't like him and he was a Democrat. Carter was cursed by the times in which he governed. Polk was a Jacksonian slaveholder. Those Presidents are usually among the bottom tier in modern lists for that reason. He's probably both high and low in this list considering personal beliefs/actions and political/professional success.

One who I'm surprised to see that high is Woodrow Wilson, whose racial viewpoints were notoriously lousy. Not that he didn't have achievements on the world stage, but in terms of a poll conducted in 2018. McKinley over Polk is a bit odd, too. If anyone with a tenure ended by an assassin should be higher, it's JFK. The man should be credited for sparing the free world from devastation. If either LBJ or Nixon were President during the CMC, things might've been vastly different. Jimmy Carter had met with Castro numerous times over the years and Fidel told him they had armed(!) nukes with his command to fire at the US if the US invaded. Fidel was prone to bombast, but this was after a prior attempt by the US to overthrow him. Dangerous game that Kennedy handled with great wisdom and composure.

It is hard for me, a casual history student and far from being a scholar, to rank presidents beyond those I lived under. Still, I have read about many of these men, and a few, such as Kennedy, Johnson, the Roosevelt's, Lincoln and Jefferson, more than just a little.

Your points are solid though I disagree (with you and most scholars) with the low rating for Carter. He was the first president to experience negative talk radio, and I believe many, if not most, formed a negative opinion on him largely as a result. I know I did at the time. He was far ahead of the curve when he asked us to begin conservation. Regardless what anyone thinks about this, this is becoming the norm and will be the norm for most in the near future--if not for protecting the environment, for the cost. Saint Reagan gets credit (mostly undeserved) for ending the cold war, for cutting regulations and pork, and for fighting the Afghan rebels, but these all began with Carter. Besides Clinton, Carter was the last president to see the US debt to GDP decrease. He is blamed for high inflation and the Iranian hostage crisis (the solution to which was delayed due to Reagan's intervention), neither of which were problems he or his policies created. I see him around 20th in ranking and Polk in the low to mid teens, so the distance between is about the same.

I agree that Woodrow Wilson is overrated, but like Andrew Jackson, I expect he will see his rankings drop over time, and that McKinley over Polk is unusual. I always rank JFK higher than most, for the reasons you mentioned, that he was masterful with the Missiles of October dire situation.

LBJ is one of the hardest to rank for me. I so hated that damn war. I have come to understand the difficulties he faced with that war, so, though, he made some major mistakes, I have begun to think, the die had already been cast by the time he took over. On the other hand, we know what an amazing accomplishment was the Civil Rights legislation as well as the voting rights legislation that he rammed through with will and gile--that his party has yet to recover from.

Good points, another thing that wasn't his fault, but really screwed Carter was the energy crisis. People in lines waiting for gas had to be plenty pissed. I don't know if you were driving back then. My mother remembered to me that the gas station she went to served cars with plates that ended in odd numbers on one day and then even numbers the next and she had a El Dorado, the giantest production car evar. The sad thing about Jimmy is that he was frugal and orderly and he expected the country to rally behind him in measures to reduce energy use and he did things like pinching pennies on White House events and turning the thermostat down and wearing sweaters like Mr. Rogers. Unfortunately, he was dealing with Americans -- the same people who bought all the crap Reagan sold to em about a new day in America and they just continued their proud wastefulness. There's a documentary from 2007 that showed Carter doing a book tour and he went on a full plane and everyone one that plane of every conceivable stripe, they were all smiling and he shook everyone's hand. He shows the interpersonal ease and brilliance that Clinton and Obama had in conversing with ordinary people. They all had the gift that Rs typically lack (ahem).

LBJ to me is the most tragic Pres who wasn't assassinated, at least in modern times. He was a master of exerting power to the point of physically domineering over people (called "The Johnson Treatment"), and knew where all the bodies were buried in Congress. There's a call between Nixon and J. Edgar Hoover where Hoover says about LBJ, "He is a tough individual..." with emphasis on tough. LBJ's complexity is probably why Caro's biography of him is three volumes, each that could choke an elephant. He got duped into that war. All of his domestic achievements were totally undercut by it. After exiting the race in 68, he went off to go die. He chain smoked and drank Cutty Sark til he had a heart attack.

His last public speech about race relations was poignant. He looked frail and about to go. He tossed a nitroglycerin into his mouth at the podium. I think by 1972, the African-American community were able to appreciate what he was able to force through Congress. The audience at that crowd looked glowingly at him again. Longtime civil rights advocate Roger Wilkins said he was truly the first civil rights president even though he said LBJ nearly used the N word in his presence in a meeting. He said he was fond of him in some ways and found him deeply flawed in others. Kennedy, Johnson and Nixon were three shadowy figures in a row. Multiple personas. JFK was the Don Draper of Presidents.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1248, 1249, 1250 ... 3670, 3671, 3672  Next
Page 1249 of 3672
Jump to: