THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1349, 1350, 1351 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:27 pm    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
Teens in Make America Great Again hats taunted a Native American elder and Vietnam War Veteran at the Lincoln Memorial while they were celebrating Indigenous Peoples day..

Teens were there as part of a Catholic School event.. to Tell Women they do not have a right to their bodies.. and thought they should just tell other people they were taught to despise to (bleep) off too

This story was the biggest reason I feared Donald Trump.. this is his disease of hatred and racism.. Cheered by the zombie white apes and then PARENTS cheer Trump in front of their children and their children act like Trump

Their behavior provokes sadness for my species.. disrespect our planet and each other.. ad infinitum

Quote:
Videos of the confrontation show a smiling young man in a red Make America Great Again hat standing directly in front of the man, who was playing a drum and chanting. Other kids could be seen laughing, jumping around and making fun of the chants.

Quote:
Taitano said the standoff continued until a chaperone came and led the teens away for a photograph.
Some of the boys could be seen wearing hoodies and jackets with the name of Covington Catholic High School, an all-boys' school in Northern Kentucky.
The school's website said a group of students had planned to attend Friday's March for Life rally in Washington.
The school is part of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Covington, and in a statement given to CNN affiliate WLWT, spokeswoman Laura Keener said the diocese would investigate the incident and take appropriate action.

different camera angle with more dialogue:

hateful epithet at 7:18

nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:40 pm    Post subject:

What a bunch of pieces of (bleep).
Ted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:50 pm    Post subject:

Unpopular opinion probably, but I don't think those kids were really taunting the Native American guy. The guy walked up to them with his drum, and the one kid just stood in front of him like a moron and seemed kind of like he was unsure what to do, and then stood in front trying to show he was being a tough guy or some sh**. But with today's internet everything is blown way out of proportion and sensationalized.

Doesn't mean that school doesn't put out a bunch of entitled white racist douchebags, I'm just commenting on this situation here. From stuff I read online, the school has a history of racist behavior, and coupled with the MAGA hats, and groupthink mentality, definitely some racial overtones, but even though the video looks bad, it's important not to just jump to conclusions. Although, opinions are already made up.

FWIW, I would feel way more comfortable around a group of Mexican immigrants than that MAGA wearing group of white boys.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:38 am    Post subject:

Ted wrote:
Unpopular opinion probably, but I don't think those kids were really taunting the Native American guy. The guy walked up to them with his drum, and the one kid just stood in front of him like a moron and seemed kind of like he was unsure what to do, and then stood in front trying to show he was being a tough guy or some sh**. But with today's internet everything is blown way out of proportion and sensationalized.

Doesn't mean that school doesn't put out a bunch of entitled white racist douchebags, I'm just commenting on this situation here. From stuff I read online, the school has a history of racist behavior, and coupled with the MAGA hats, and groupthink mentality, definitely some racial overtones, but even though the video looks bad, it's important not to just jump to conclusions. Although, opinions are already made up.

FWIW, I would feel way more comfortable around a group of Mexican immigrants than that MAGA wearing group of white boys.

Wat
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:11 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Ted wrote:

Wat

blown out of proportion? by the media? Few media even describe the teens as white teens, they just describe them as teens. It happens exactly as it occured, a group of white teens went to a Native Americans gathering mocked and taunt them. The kid that stood in front of the Vietnam War veteran was grinning the whole time, incredible for the Vietnam War vet to not respond to the taunt... What conclusion do you come away with?
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:19 am    Post subject:

Context:

Quote:
Eugene Gu, MDVerified account (@) eugeneguMore

Trump called Elizabeth Warren Pocahontas and joked about Wounded Knee.

Jason Chaffetz posted a selfie next to a Native American statue in Disneyland.

Rand Paul posted one next to a teepee on a beach.

These leaders influenced these kids to become bigots.

#CovingtonCatholic

I wouldn't say these "leaders" influence kids to "become" bigots, but these prominent REPUBLICANS certainly gave these kids permission to publicly display their bigotry without fear of retribution.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:37 am    Post subject:

What do you liberals think about guaranteed basic income?

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-features/andrew-yang-2020-president-780803/
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:38 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-features/andrew-yang-2020-president-780803/

There are other issues, such as health care, climate change, and infrastructure upgrades that are priorities with me. There is only so much money out there to pay for all of what liberals want.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:43 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
I might not watch Bill Maher next week. The fact that he invites the Ann Coulter's and Ben Shapiro's of the world onto his show. It's so misguided.

What is he gonna correct every unfounded, racist, offensive thing Coulter says on his show next week? Of course not. So in effect. He's just giving her a platform to spread a toxic message.

At least when Jon Stewart invited Bill O'Reilly on the Daily Show back in the day. Jon literally debate him and correct almost every lie O'Reilly said. Even if Jon had to add something after the commercial break or on an extended episode online.

I want liberals and progressives to invite conservatives to the conversation, so I will be watching--though I do wish they had control of their mic's when the they get all filibustery and won't stop to listen.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:58 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Ted wrote:

Wat

blown out of proportion? by the media? Few media even describe the teens as white teens, they just describe them as teens. It happens exactly as it occured, a group of white teens went to a Native Americans gathering mocked and taunt them. The kid that stood in front of the Vietnam War veteran was grinning the whole time, incredible for the Vietnam War vet to not respond to the taunt... What conclusion do you come away with?

here are 3 videos of Native American Vietnam Vet Nathan Philips and others in his group approaching, from a distance, the kentucky rubes, and not the other way around

(apologies for the twitter links...also apologies that they might be maga accounts, but they have these videos)

https://twitter.com/mariajudy_/status/1086681831804674048/video/1

https://twitter.com/infolibnews/status/1086839064622497792/video/1

https://twitter.com/PolishPatriotTM/status/1086955744556171266/video/1

1h45m video (warning: contains profanity and hateful slurs)

Last edited by Huey Lewis & The News on Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:11 am; edited 1 time in total
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:10 am    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
governator wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Ted wrote:

Wat

here are 3 videos of Native American Vietnam Vet Nathan Philips and others in his group approaching, from a distance, the kentucky rubes, and not the other way around

(apologies for the twitter links...they might be right accounts accounts, but they have these videos)

Then i was mistaken, sorry
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:18 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
governator wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Ted wrote:

Wat

(apologies for the twitter links...also apologies that they might be right wing accounts, but they have these videos)

all good with me, fam

I have no problem with those little rubelets being doxxed even if they didn't do what's been reported. If you're wearing that hat, you've bought into destroying this country, and for that, you should be taken down a peg or two. Goes double for attending an anti-abortion event.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:48 am    Post subject:

Let Mama Warren get to work...

This country is long overdue for a finger up it's caboose
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:03 am    Post subject:

If you review the various videos and accounts, it would appear there was some verbal back and forth between the students and a group of street preachers (I don’t know if that’s the correct term), and the Native man moved in drumming between them in an attempt to stop that altercation. He was then confronted by the kid who stood in his face and smirked. The other kids seemed to at first light heartedly join the drummer, and then moved more toward mocking and taunting, before their chaperone moved them away.
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:08 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
governator wrote:

There are other issues, such as health care, climate change, and infrastructure upgrades that are priorities with me. There is only so much money out there to pay for all of what liberals want.

Yes, I agree with this. Universal basic income is going to become an issue if/when we start transitioning to a post scarcity world where machines can do just about everything we want and need. (Think of the Star Trek universe.) The time between now and then could be turnulent. We should be able to put this one off for more urgent issues though.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:28 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
If you review the various videos and accounts, it would appear there was some verbal back and forth between the students and a group of street preachers (I don’t know if that’s the correct term), and the Native man moved in drumming between them in an attempt to stop that altercation. He was then confronted by the kid who stood in his face and smirked. The other kids seemed to at first light heartedly join the drummer, and then moved more toward mocking and taunting, before their chaperone moved them away.

Joy Reid interviewed the elder native American man. He said there had been building tension between the two groups of young people for a couple of hours. He said the students would taunt the Black religious group, leave, then come back with a larger group of students. It started with about 20 students, then they eventually came back with a group of around 100 students, clearly outnumbering of the other group. The native American man said the students were turning into a mob and he was afraid something ugly was about to happen. He decided to place himself between the two groups in an effort to avert a more dangerous physical confrontation between the two. All throughout the couple of hours this unfolded, the students used racial and religious epithets towards both the black group and the native Americans.

He was on Joy Reid's Sunday morning show. Here's a link the the NBC video: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/catholic-school-investigate-taunting-native-americans-n960626

Last edited by ChefLinda on Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:28 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
governator wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Ted wrote:

Wat

(apologies for the twitter links...they might be right accounts accounts, but they have these videos)

These kids were dumb, immature, smirky...but the headlines I saw about this incident were purposefully misleading and is a huge part of the problem we are facing in the world now. Thank you for posting these links. Context is critical.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:30 pm    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
governator wrote:
governator wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Ted wrote:

Wat

These kids were dumb, immature, smirky...but the headlines I saw about this incident were purposefully misleading and is a huge part of the problem we are facing in the world now. Thank you for posting these links. Context is critical.

You might want to check out what I just posted above.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:26 pm    Post subject:

That face is literally the same (bleep) eating grin face that says "I'm a dick and I win no matter what you do". Wish I could smack that smirk off his face.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:47 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:

Eventually it’ll probably be necessary, if automation and machine learning take as many jobs as they project to and if new, unexpected jobs don’t pop up to make up for the number of lost jobs, but that’s not an issue right now.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:03 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
kikanga wrote:
I might not watch Bill Maher next week. The fact that he invites the Ann Coulter's and Ben Shapiro's of the world onto his show. It's so misguided.

What is he gonna correct every unfounded, racist, offensive thing Coulter says on his show next week? Of course not. So in effect. He's just giving her a platform to spread a toxic message.

At least when Jon Stewart invited Bill O'Reilly on the Daily Show back in the day. Jon literally debate him and correct almost every lie O'Reilly said. Even if Jon had to add something after the commercial break or on an extended episode online.

I want liberals and progressives to invite conservatives to the conversation, so I will be watching--though I do wish they had control of their mic's when the they get all filibustery and won't stop to listen.

Some of the best moments from political comedians (I don't know what else to call them) have been when they went against conservatives. John Stewart crushed tucker Carlson and Jim Cramer.. maher has knocked a few out as well.

I'm definitely watching. Put them on a non home set? Without any censoring? At this point in time?

Bring it.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:15 pm    Post subject:

You are on a plane that's crashing. It's heading toward a mountain. And there are only 2 parachutes. On the plane there are 3 people. You, Mitch McConnell, and Ann Coulter. What do you do?
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:36 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
You are on a plane that's crashing. It's heading toward a mountain. And there are only 2 parachutes. On the plane there are 3 people. You, Mitch McConnell, and Ann Coulter. What do you do?

Mitch causes the kind of pain that Ann can only aspire to.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:36 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

Grab both parachutes and jump. Holding onto the 2nd one in case the first one failed.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:47 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Mitch causes the kind of pain that Ann can only aspire to.

liferaft

pankot palace
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1349, 1350, 1351 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next
Page 1350 of 3663
Jump to: