THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1354, 1355, 1356 ... 3668, 3669, 3670  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:44 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
I haven't watched the Today Show in quite some time. Think I'll tune in to see what she has to say. The tweets are sweet.

Savannah Guthrie, NBC slammed for upcoming interview with Covington Catholic student: '#RacismEnabler'

LINK

And here's another problem, people who reward people like Guthrie by tuning in to these attention grabs.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:53 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
I haven't watched the Today Show in quite some time. Think I'll tune in to see what she has to say. The tweets are sweet.

Savannah Guthrie, NBC slammed for upcoming interview with Covington Catholic student: '#RacismEnabler'

LINK

And here's another problem, people who reward people like Guthrie by tuning in to these attention grabs.

I've never watched Savannah Guthrie. Curiosity killed the cat. Satisfaction brought it back. Sorry you don't approve. NOT

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:55 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:

LINK

No thanks, I've got some abscess draining vids on YT that I've been meaning to get to.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:55 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

I have NO qualms with that. My wife and I have worked very hard to help our kids to be kind, thoughtful and respectful people. To see that some of their peers have been raised to be the opposite is infuriating. We can't save these POS MAGATs, but we can make an example of them. And we should.

I disagree that they deserve to be crushed, but you have good reasons.

Of course they deserve it. They are mean, hateful, smug, entitled, aggressive perps. And letting them off the hook just teaches them to do it more. It’s odd you can find the black Israelites vile and worthy of recrimination, but not these kids.

This is the saddest dynamic of this particular incident. It's resulted in the most baffling of commentary from the most unexpected sources.

It has literally lead to people attempting to justify that two wrongs equate to a right.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:58 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

I've never watched Savannah Guthrie. Curiosity killed the cat. Satisfaction brought it back. Sorry you don't approve. NOT

You go right ahead and feel proud and defiant to be part of the problem. You're a true rebel.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:01 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:

You go right ahead and feel proud and defiant to be part of the problem. You're a true rebel.

Nah, not proud and defiant nor a rebel, just curious.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:03 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I'm a huge proponent of curiosity when it is productive.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:05 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I'm a huge proponent of curiosity when it is productive.

Ooootay. Hope I get something from watching.

kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:19 pm    Post subject:

What is "crushed" at the end of the day? Nasty headlines and tweets for a month? 30-35% of the country (Trumpers) loving you far longer than that? Returning to a cushy upper to middle class life where you are so bored you feel like trolling people who don't look like you?
I'll save my sorrow for people actually getting crushed. Like the black and brown Americans victimized by the prison industrial complex for a lifetime. Or the Americans dying from lack of food and water in Puerto Rico. Or the kids separated at the border. That's what crushed looks like in my book.

Reminds me of the "hell" Kavanaugh lived through. Oh poor Brett. He got vetted for a lifetime appointment. And the media was mean to him for pointing out his repeated perjury.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:36 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

I have NO qualms with that. My wife and I have worked very hard to help our kids to be kind, thoughtful and respectful people. To see that some of their peers have been raised to be the opposite is infuriating. We can't save these POS MAGATs, but we can make an example of them. And we should.

Of course they deserve it. They are mean, hateful, smug, entitled, aggressive perps. And letting them off the hook just teaches them to do it more. It’s odd you can find the black Israelites vile and worthy of recrimination, but not these kids.

I do believe the rube kids are vile, just to a lesser degree, and I appreciate that you notice a discrepancy between my attitudes toward both groups . It exists, and here's my reasoning, for your critique:

-balancing what I know of the hebrew israelite group, its history, and of most run of the mill Trump fanatics, and their history. The israelites are a group that is vulgar and racist by design, and outwardly so. They don't waste time dressing their misanthropy and perceived ethnic supremacy with elected public position or patriotism. They simply shout slurs at you as you walk by. That's it. Shock and vulgarity is the organization's entire essence. The only time I've ever been called a g__k (ethnic slur for Asians) was when I was walking around Philly with my mom and some other family. You can bet I looked up some background for the black israelites after that. Trump supporters, the pervasive international shame we must all now suffer, at least keep that sort of overt vitriol limited to private conversation, anonymous online trolling, and moments of weakness, for the most part.

-these are boys, still. Not men. I hold out that you have the time to change before your character is pretty much set in stone, regardless of what you've done at that age (with a couple of exceptions). The adult form of this beast, on the other hand, is a real danger to our democracy and I would never play down the harm they are doing. In the case of these boys, youth really is one ofonly two factors exonerating them of my most violent wishes, which I don't even "feel" for the israelites group. The other factor is:

-the videos themselves: in the context of this incident, and the 2+ hours of footage I watched, most of the outright hate speech and slurs came from from one direction. This does not excuse the rednecks' rowdy, inconsiderate behavior. If you think I've missed something, link me to the videos.

That's how I break this down. I'm still trying to piece together a fair perspective of this whole thing. If you disagree, I know you have good reasons for doing so, please share them.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:41 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

What is "crushed" at the end of the day? Nasty headlines and tweets for a month? 30-35% of the country (Trumpers) loving you far longer than that? Returning to a cushy upper to middle class life where you are so bored you feel like trolling people who don't look like you?
I'll save my sorrow for people actually getting crushed. Like the black and brown Americans victimized by the prison industrial complex for a lifetime. Or the Americans dying from lack of food and water in Puerto Rico. Or the kids separated at the border. That's what crushed looks like in my book.

Reminds me of the "hell" Kavanaugh lived through. Oh poor Brett. He got vetted for a lifetime appointment. And the media was mean to him for pointing out his repeated perjury.

"Crushed" is being sent death threats, being denied college admission, jobs, having Disney producers tweet that you should be fed through woodchippers, having your future prospects at livelihood erased.

I don't think they deserve it, but I get that others do, and like I said before, if all of that happens to these rednecks, no sweat off my sack.
67ShelbyGT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:57 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

Its amazing how out of control false equivalency has become! Books will be written about this for decades. When the biggest tragedy in your life is that Starbucks only put Merry Xmas in just 40/50 cups this year instead of 48/50 the year before, then the answer is you've lived a highly privileged life. And good for you (of course you know I'm not talking about you, kikanga), but could you please stfu or maybe read some books (or listen to those directly affected) about the experience of those not as privileged as you before you whitesplain, mansplain or both.

This is the gift that Roger Ailes left us, and it fully manifested under Trump. Remember, Ailes admitted to this. That he created faux news as a gimmick because he knew he couldn't compete on just news alone. And that gimmick is this notion that the most privileged group is really the victim. That its actually white males that have it the hardest... FN sells this all day. And sadly, Ailes succeeded! R Stone succeeded. Lol what crazy times we live in.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:06 am    Post subject:

"Crushed" is being sent death threats, being denied college admission, jobs, having Disney producers tweet that you should be fed through woodchippers, having your future prospects at livelihood erased.

I don't think they deserve it, but I get that others do, and like I said before, if all of that happens to these rednecks, no sweat off my sack.

You're talking about death threats. I'm talking about deaths.
Minorities getting executed by law enforcement and Trump telling cops to rough up suspects more than they already do. Puerto Rican Americans starving to death because Trump refuses to provide resources. Migrant children dying in Trump's concentration camps. When anyone wears a MAGA hat. That's what they are supporting. But for the covington kids. That wasn't enough. They needed to yell rape jokes to girls in a park and troll an ancient Native American man.

These MAGA kids will have to lay low on social media and in public for a while. And the Trumpers on admission boards and the Trumpers hiring for jobs will embrace them. Little Johnny might have to settle for Dartmouth instead of Cornell. Might have to work for Wells Fargo and not Chase.
67ShelbyGT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:10 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

That qualifies as "crushed" now ?

You got a 8yr old and a 7yr old that died at the border, 4yr olds that have to stand in courts, 250 kids separated from parents, a prison system that disproportionately incarcerates minorities, crack/cocaine sentence discrepancy, a ban based on religious discrimination, entire ethnic group race labeled as rapists / drug dealers, 12 yr old Tamir Rice shot by cops, hell black males in general shot at routine stops just to name a few....

But but Kavanaugh faced a "few threats", 17yr old covington "children" are gonna have their own actions held against them, that "child" Dylann Roof being treated like an adult.. crushed I tells you!

Aye aye aye Faux news has successfully changed the definition of the word crushed. Wow.

Last edited by 67ShelbyGT on Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:12 am    Post subject:

Guys you're making my point. For them, that is crushed.
67ShelbyGT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:17 am    Post subject:

Wtf?! What does that mean? Crushed is crushed. Not perceived or relative crushed. This is one of the the most asinine attempt at saving face I've seen this side of Sarah Sanders.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:24 am    Post subject:

67ShelbyGT wrote:

Wtf?! What does that mean? Crushed is crushed. Not perceived or relative crush. This is one of the the most asinine attempt at saving face I've seen this side of Sarah Sanders.

I don't know if you're being obtuse or what, but if that's what you make of the positions I've taken, I don't really know how you'd like me to respond.

I despise Trump, Trumpism, modern American conservatism, and Fox News...
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:31 am    Post subject:

Results of Kos straw poll:

Beto O'Rourke 8% 2145 votes

Elizabeth Warren 18% 4781 votes

Kamala Harris 28% 7256 votes

Joe Biden 12% 3231 votes

Cory Booker 2% 461 votes

Bernie Sanders 12% 3189 votes

Tulsi Gabbard 1% 327 votes

Sherrod Brown 6% 1667 votes

Other 5%1366 votes

Unsure 6% 1642 votes
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:32 am    Post subject:

67ShelbyGT wrote:

Wtf?! What does that mean? Crushed is crushed. Not perceived or relative crush. This is one of the the most asinine attempt at saving face I've seen this side of Sarah Sanders.

I don't know if you're being obtuse or what, but if that's what you make of the positions I've taken, I don't really know how you'd like me to respond.

I despise Trump, Trumpism, modern American conservatism, and Fox News...

I agree with and completely understand your "degrees of distain" Huey. Certain levels of disgust should be reserved for the absolute worst of the worst. These kids, as deplorable as they are, don't reach that high water mark for me.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:56 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
Results of Kos straw poll:

Beto O'Rourke 8% 2145 votes

Elizabeth Warren 18% 4781 votes

Kamala Harris 28% 7256 votes

Joe Biden 12% 3231 votes

Cory Booker 2% 461 votes

Bernie Sanders 12% 3189 votes

Tulsi Gabbard 1% 327 votes

Sherrod Brown 6% 1667 votes

Other 5%1366 votes

Unsure 6% 1642 votes

no hillary in the poll
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:01 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Donald Trump has never been more unpopular than he is now. Or so the latest round of polling on the president’s handling of the government shutdown suggests.

Fifty-nine percent of voters disapprove of Trump’s overall job performance in CBS News’ latest survey, the highest that figure has been since the president took office. That finding is buttressed by a new Politico–Morning Consult poll, which puts Trump’s disapproval rating at 57 percent, the highest it has ever been in that pollster’s research.

Notably, these figures aren’t drastically worse than the president’s typical poll numbers. A majority of Americans disliked Trump on the day he was elected, and have continued to dislike him ever since. Nonetheless, even marginal declines in Trump’s base of support would likely be enough to nullify his hopes of reelection, given how narrowly he eked out an Electoral College majority in 2016.

Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:44 am    Post subject:

I raised three sons. None of them behave like this, precisely Huey, because I didn’t treat their formative years as oh hey, they are just kids, they have time to change, it doesn’t matter if they are racists or misogynists or spoiled little criminals now.

On another subject, you know how you get vile groups like the black Israelites? You subject black men (and women) to centuries of a country where those MAGA creeps not only are the status quo, they run things. I am on the daily amazed that black folk deign to speak to us. Those guys just snapped and something is wrong with them, but damn man, I understand. So let’s not make a comparative case of the more dangerous group in every way getting a relative pass because they didn’t say quite as awful of things from their perch if superiority.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:56 am    Post subject:

Can anyone think of a law or something that should be in place
That stops Presidents from doing what this piece of (bleep) is doing

The Government cannot just be shutdown on a whim from a racist pos

ALL Presidential candidates need to talk about FIXING Executive Privilege

Trump has been a RUSSIAN AGENT acting as POTUS45 for 2 years

This is a Disgrace and should've been stopped long ago

I hope this turns on them so (bleep) bad.. really bad hombres in our white house and GOP

Is there a good excuse available for hurting so many americans?
His Bankruptcies hurt lots of americans and now he gets to trash americans lives and NO PUNISHMENT
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:59 am    Post subject:

-balancing what I know of the hebrew israelite group, its history, and of most run of the mill Trump fanatics, and their history. The israelites are a group that is vulgar and racist by design, and outwardly so.

So is the MAGA hat. The very message that slogan represents is vulgar and racist. To wear it is antagonistic, by design.

Quote:
-these are boys, still. Not men. I hold out that you have the time to change before your character is pretty much set in stone, regardless of what you've done at that age (with a couple of exceptions). The adult form of this beast, on the other hand, is a real danger to our democracy and I would never play down the harm they are doing. In the case of these boys, youth really is one ofonly two factors exonerating them of my most violent wishes, which I don't even "feel" for the israelites group. The other factor is:

OK, so they are just boys, not men, but who are acting like the vile men they clearly model. If these "boys" are not being provided with appropriate examples by their parents and teachers, how do you expect these "boys" to evolve into decent men if society provides them the lame excuse "boys will be boys" without consequence?

Quote:
-the videos themselves: in the context of this incident, and the 2+ hours of footage I watched, most of the outright hate speech and slurs came from from one direction. This does not excuse the rednecks' rowdy, inconsiderate behavior. If you think I've missed something, link me to the videos.

That's how I break this down. I'm still trying to piece together a fair perspective of this whole thing. If you disagree, I know you have good reasons for doing so, please share them.

Yeah, nothing patently offensive about "it's not rape if you enjoy it".
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:05 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
I raised three sons. None of them behave like this, precisely Huey, because I didn’t treat their formative years as oh hey, they are just kids, they have time to change, it doesn’t matter if they are racists or misogynists or spoiled little criminals now.

On another subject, you know how you get vile groups like the black Israelites? You subject black men (and women) to centuries of a country where those MAGA creeps not only are the status quo, they run things. I am on the daily amazed that black folk deign to speak to us. Those guys just snapped and something is wrong with them, but damn man, I understand. So let’s not make a comparative case of the more dangerous group in every way getting a relative pass because they didn’t say quite as awful of things from their perch if superiority.

BINGO! Which is why I don't buy into the "matter of degree". MAGATs are that way inherently. The Black Israelites came to be via forces not of their own. So if we are going to get into "matter of degree" discussions, I would say that the people who are responding to years of mistreatment at the hands of the MAGATs are the ones who get the benefit of the doubt.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1354, 1355, 1356 ... 3668, 3669, 3670  Next
Page 1355 of 3670
Jump to: