THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1355, 1356, 1357 ... 3670, 3671, 3672  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:33 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
I raised three sons. None of them behave like this, precisely Huey, because I didn’t treat their formative years as oh hey, they are just kids, they have time to change, it doesn’t matter if they are racists or misogynists or spoiled little criminals now.

On another subject, you know how you get vile groups like the black Israelites? You subject black men (and women) to centuries of a country where those MAGA creeps not only are the status quo, they run things. I am on the daily amazed that black folk deign to speak to us. Those guys just snapped and something is wrong with them, but damn man, I understand. So let’s not make a comparative case of the more dangerous group in every way getting a relative pass because they didn’t say quite as awful of things from their perch if superiority.

BINGO! Which is why I don't buy into the "matter of degree". MAGATs are that way inherently. The Black Israelites came to be via forces not of their own. So if we are going to get into "matter of degree" discussions, I would say that the people who are responding to years of mistreatment at the hands of the MAGATs are the ones who get the benefit of the doubt.

If we start with the premise that the kids are racist (which IMO is debatable but I'll go along with it) -- why doesn't there exist the position that they too, are victims of their upbringing?

It's not clear to me why one group is mentally incapable of "knowing better" in terms of some of the words exchanged, but the other group, a group consisting of children, are fully mentally capable and have simply chosen the wrong path?

To me, this is a case of bad actors all around. The Black Israelites for hurling racist and homophobic slurs at schoolkids, Nathan Phillips for injecting himself into the situation and worsening it (an action he appears to have a habit of), and the kids for failing to defuse the situation if not exacerbating it by standing their ground. I really don't see anyone doing anything "good" here.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:50 am    Post subject:

I'm not going to call them racist. They just did blackface at basketball games for school spirit.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
I'm not going to call them racist. They just did blackface at basketball games for school spirit.

And they are just cheering the Native Americans on when they do that tomahawk chop thing . . .
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:16 am    Post subject:

If I have it right Speaker Pelosi can lock the doors of the chamber because she has control of it and who and when they can speak there. I think it would be a mistake not to allow Trump to speak in the chamber. It would optic being like Dump, petty and vindictive.

Trump tells Pelosi he'll deliver State of the Union in the House on Tuesday

LINK

Quote:
WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump told Speaker Nancy Pelosi on Wednesday that he will deliver his State of the Union address in the House chamber on Tuesday, rejecting her suggestion that he delay it or submit it in writing because of the month long government shutdown.

Quote:
As a practical matter, the speaker of the House has control over the chamber, including when it is open and when the president can speak there.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:25 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:

If you really believe that I'm a bit disappointed. Blackface is demeaning. It takes us back to the days of Stepin Fetchit. Blacks have climbed a very steep mountain to blot that image. Yasir Boss cannot be tolerated or excused.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:38 am    Post subject:

Maybe we could adopt a little of our past. How about we begin with the 70% tax rate for extremely high earners? How about we go back to when the Democrats ran Congress for all but two terms from 1934 - 1981, a period a great GDP growth and social change, and the debt to GDP went down from 40.5% to 31.08%? (It has now about quadrupled, or about 105%.)

Just think if the FDR revolution continued and the Ronald Regan revolution never happened? Oh course, we can't do that, but we should remember that all, or nearly all, of the social gains and great accomplishments since the inception of this country have been brought on by progressives--and yes, Lincoln was truly a progressive and Ike's interstate highway system, against the wishes of many conservatives, was as well.

MEGABITCHEN--Make everyone great and believe in changing hate entirely now
Huskers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:52 am    Post subject:

I know a lot of us were looking forward to this, but it's been postponed.

Quote:
NEWS - @MichaelCohen212 postponing his Feb. 7 testimony after threats to his family from President Trump and his team. Story TK

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1088142654460887040
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:54 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:

Are we sure that was blackface? My understanding is that game was a "black out" game where they are all supposed to dress in black. And nearly everyone is wearing black in it with some kids in the full body paint.

I have seen other photos of them during "blue out" events, where the kids are rocking full blue body paint in the same way. I'm not sure which group that would be racist against, if at all.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:56 am    Post subject:

Michael Cohen postpones plan to testify at Congress because of fear for his family’s safety

LINK

Quote:
Davis cited “ongoing threats” to Cohen’s family from Trump and the president’s current personal attorney, Rudy Giuliani, in the decision to postpone his Feb. 7 appearance before the House Oversight Committee.

If this is true both Trump and Giuliani are in violation of law. This is obstruction at it's apex.

Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:59 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:

Are we sure that was blackface? My understanding is that game was a "black out" game where they are all supposed to dress in black. And nearly everyone is wearing black in it with some kids in the full body paint.

I have seen other photos of them during "blue out" events, where the kids are rocking full blue body paint in the same way. I'm not sure which group that would be racist against, if at all.

It's pretty simple. There's only one time when blackface is acceptable, and that's never.

There's a reason you never see any teams do it.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:01 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Michael Cohen postpones plan to testify at Congress because of fear for his family’s safety

LINK

Quote:
Davis cited “ongoing threats” to Cohen’s family from Trump and the president’s current personal attorney, Rudy Giuliani, in the decision to postpone his Feb. 7 appearance before the House Oversight Committee.

If this is true both Trump and Giuliani are in violation of law. This is obstruction at it's apex.

If it is true, yes, but if it is not provable, then not, at least according to our system.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:03 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:

It's pretty simple. There's only one time when blackface is acceptable, and that's never.

Not to mention the exaggerated, white toothed grins painted on some of the faces. There's no mistaking the intent of that.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:05 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:

If you don't see the racism you're either being disingenuous or oblivious of the implication. If I'm correct you're Asian. If so are you are angered when (if this is in the vein of the N word delete it) slant eyed, slop head is the optic? It's racist.

Last edited by jodeke on Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:07 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:

only Robert Downey in tropic thunder but kidding aside, Americans should know, no black face of any kind (whether the intent). No different than chink in the armor to describe J.Lin
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:19 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:

If you don't see the racism you're either being disingenuous or oblivious of the implication. If I'm correct you're Asian. If so are you are angered when (if this is in the vein of the N word delete it) slant eyed, slop head is the optic. It's racist.

Are those Raiders fans that dress up in black body paint racist too? I mean, having clear intent matters doesn't it?

Are we sure it wasn't ignorance versus racism?

I'm not closing out the possibility that the act was done with the intent to be racist, I'm just also open to the possibility that they didn't know better.

FWIW, they have allegedly said they aren't going to do blackouts anymore. I'm not sure that a true racist would bother.

And to answer your question, yes, that would bother me but wearing a kimono for Halloween doesn't.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:28 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:

If you don't see the racism you're either being disingenuous or oblivious of the implication. If I'm correct you're Asian. If so are you are angered when (if this is in the vein of the N word delete it) slant eyed, slop head is the optic. It's racist.

Are those Raiders fans that dress up in black body paint racist too? I mean, having clear intent matters doesn't it?

I'm not closing out the possibility that the act was done with the intent to be racist, I'm just also open to the possibility that they didn't know better.

FWIW, they have allegedly said they aren't going to do blackouts anymore. I'm not sure that a true racist would bother.

And to answer your question, yes, that would bother me but wearing a kimono for Halloween doesn't.

If Raider-fan dressed up in black face, I kinda think it would be different.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:35 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:

If Raider-fan dressed up in black face, I kinda think it would be different.

So only Raider fans can do black face but no one else? Could the kids at the game just say they were Raider fans or do they have to be an actual game? I mean, my point is that there is context and nuance that needs to be applied. I'll grant it is almost never ok to do it, and most people should be aware of it, I just think we should be open minded to the fact that some people don't know about it, particularly in areas or group that don't have a lot of black people in it.

But even if the kids in the photo admitted to doing blackface to be racist, what is the relevance? They aren't the kids that were at the Lincoln Memorial were they?
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:40 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
I just think we should be open minded to the fact that some people don't know about it, particularly in areas or group that don't have a lot of black people in it.

Hell of a stretch. I lived abroad and foreigners know about historical US blackface
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:53 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
I just think we should be open minded to the fact that some people don't know about it, particularly in areas or group that don't have a lot of black people in it.

Hell of a stretch. I lived abroad and foreigners know about historical US blackface

Sure, contrasted against a number of famous people in Hollywood recently who apparently didn't know better. Are Jimmy Fallon and Jimmy Kimmel racist?

I'm just saying there should be a distinction between someone who is ignorant and someone who is hateful.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:56 am    Post subject:

I don't know how many of you guys use twitter but I use it for news and to follow people I like. An observation I have is that almost every criticism of liberals and people defending overt racism are exclusively white men.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:02 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
I don't know how many of you guys use twitter but I use it for news and to follow people I like. An observation I have is that almost every criticism of liberals and people defending overt racism are exclusively white men.

There are plenty of people who criticize liberals that don't defend overt racism. Of course, our bar for overt is now extremely low in some cases.

As a minority person, the bar for me to call someone racist is very high and I consider nuance and context as well. Saying a slur is a racist thing, but it doesn't necessarily make the person saying it a racist. I'm sure that's a crazy position to hold for some, but it is the one I hold.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:17 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

So only Raider fans can do black face but no one else? Could the kids at the game just say they were Raider fans or do they have to be an actual game? I mean, my point is that there is context and nuance that needs to be applied. I'll grant it is almost never ok to do it, and most people should be aware of it, I just think we should be open minded to the fact that some people don't know about it, particularly in areas or group that don't have a lot of black people in it.

But even if the kids in the photo admitted to doing blackface to be racist, what is the relevance? They aren't the kids that were at the Lincoln Memorial were they?

You asked about Raider-fan. I answered, and I don't mean it was OK to wear black-face, but painting your body the color of your team, I believe is pretty universally accepted.

As has been stated, I can't think of a time black-face is accepted anymore.

Do you recall when Ted Danson was married to Whoppie (or maybe they were just dating) and he went to a party dressed in black-face. Needless to say, that is the last time he does THAT.

I also agree that being stupid or ignorant is not a crime. But when kids wear those damn hats . . . I'm not too hopeful.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:38 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

You asked about Raider-fan. I answered, and I don't mean it was OK to wear black-face, but painting your body the color of your team, I believe is pretty universally accepted.

As has been stated, I can't think of a time black-face is accepted anymore.

Do you recall when Ted Danson was married to Whoppie (or maybe they were just dating) and he went to a party dressed in black-face. Needless to say, that is the last time he does THAT.

I also agree that being stupid or ignorant is not a crime. But when kids wear those damn hats . . . I'm not too hopeful.

I do remember that! I mean, we're holding these kids from Kentucky to a higher standard than Ted Danson, a Hollywood celebrity who is married to (or maybe dating) a black woman?

I also remember when Jimmy Kimmel did blackface to do a Shaq bit. And Jimmy Fallon did blackface to do a Chris Rock bit. And recently, someone famous, I can't remember who, that dressed up as one of the OITNB characters in blackface.

In any case, why are we even talking about blackface? None of the kids at the Lincoln Memorial were wearing it as far as i know.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:40 pm    Post subject:

I'm sure someone is keeping a list of norms broken; next on the list, the State of the Union. A Republican House will never let another Dem President give the SOTU.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:48 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

In any case, why are we even talking about blackface? None of the kids at the Lincoln Memorial were wearing it as far as i know.

I suspect because of this:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/covington-catholic-students-blackface-race-issues_us_5c472a2de4b0a8dbe1752db5
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1355, 1356, 1357 ... 3670, 3671, 3672  Next
Page 1356 of 3672
Jump to: