THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1356, 1357, 1358 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:51 pm    Post subject:

The Lebrons wrote:
I'm sure someone is keeping a list of norms broken; next on the list, the State of the Union. A Republican House will never let another Dem President give the SOTU.

NOT a SOTU it would just be a sales pitch for his vanity wall and could go on for hours
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:51 pm    Post subject:

PSA: Kamala Harris is doing a CNN Town Hall with Jake Tapper on Monday night at 7p.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:01 pm    Post subject:

trump knows he can't get on live TV any more because of his lies and knows the SOTU was his last chance... equal time anyone?
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:19 pm    Post subject:

Just to be clear, Pelosi said if he ended the government shutdown, they could work on the date for the SOTU. It was up to him. But he's the baby man drama queen traitor from hell, so no SOTU propaganda from well of Congress for you.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:23 pm    Post subject:

Welp, there goes Trump using DACA as a hostage. Supreme Court rejects hearing it.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:27 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
I'm not going to call them racist. They just did blackface at basketball games for school spirit.

Are we sure that was blackface? My understanding is that game was a "black out" game where they are all supposed to dress in black. And nearly everyone is wearing black in it with some kids in the full body paint.

I have seen other photos of them during "blue out" events, where the kids are rocking full blue body paint in the same way. I'm not sure which group that would be racist against, if at all.

If you don't see the racism you're either being disingenuous or oblivious of the implication. If I'm correct you're Asian. If so are you are angered when (if this is in the vein of the N word delete it) slant eyed, slop head is the optic. It's racist.

Quote:
Are those Raiders fans that dress up in black body paint racist too? I mean, having clear intent matters doesn't it?

No, they are not. Their intent is clear. Not to recognize that is being disingenuous. At sporting events fans dress in costumes that emulate their team. Today's climate causes some to be disgruntle, e.g. Washington Redskin fans. Some accept the name, some don't. I haven't heard of any Black people complaining about the Black Hole in Raider Nation.
Quote:
Are we sure it wasn't ignorance versus racism?

Given the way Blacks have been, are treated, I don't believe it was ignorance. IMO it's veiled racism.
Quote:
I'm not closing out the possibility that the act was done with the intent to be racist, I'm just also open to the possibility that they didn't know better.

That's the way I approach situations such as this, a two way street, one way sometimes results in dead ends. I use history as a bellwether and rule out ignorance. I think they knew what they were doing. I won't rule out insensitivity but to me that's unacceptable.
Quote:
FWIW, they have allegedly said they aren't going to do blackouts anymore. I'm not sure that a true racist would bother.

I'm not sure the media coverage isn't the reason they "allegedly" won't do blackouts anymore. Continuing to do blackouts would open the school to more condemnation.
Quote:
And to answer your question, yes, that would bother me but wearing a kimono for Halloween doesn't.

One is mocking the other is honoring traditional dress.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:35 pm    Post subject:

I think we all can agree that if your behavior is indistinguishable from racist behavior. You can't be upset if people think you are racist.

Same goes for Trump. If he somehow magically isn't a racist, Russian asset. He just acted exactly like one all this time. It's ridiculous for him to be offended when the media thinks he's a racist, Russian asset.

Last edited by kikanga on Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:35 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Just to be clear, Pelosi said if he ended the government shutdown, they could work on the date for the SOTU. It was up to him. But he's the baby man drama queen traitor from hell, so no SOTU propaganda from well of Congress for you.

Not a fan of this move by Pelosi. Just comes across as pointless and petty.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:37 pm    Post subject:

All the polls this week have Trump approval at low points and disapproval at all time high. This AP poll has his approval at 34% -- that's the lowest number I recall seeing these last two years.

AP-NORC poll: Shutdown drags Trump approval to yearlong low

Quote:
A strong majority of Americans blame President Donald Trump for the record-long government shutdown and reject his primary rationale for a border wall, according to a new poll that shows the turmoil in Washington is dragging his approval rating to its lowest level in more than a year.

Overall, 34 percent of Americans approve of Trump’s job performance in a survey conducted by The Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research. That’s down from 42 percent a month earlier and nears the lowest mark of his two-year presidency. The president’s approval among Republicans remains close to 80 percent, but his standing with independents is among its lowest points of his time in office.

8-point drop in one month.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:38 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

She is checking the Executive branch, that's her job. More power to her.

Letting him give a SOTU like everything is normal would be an abdication of her duty. 800,000 government employees are suffering at his hands. You don't reward him by giving him a microphone to lie from the well of Congress while he keeps the government shut down. Not petty or pointless at all, imo.

Last edited by ChefLinda on Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:39 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

I agree. As I stated it would make her seem as vindictive and petty as Trump.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:39 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
All the polls this week have Trump approval at low points and disapproval at all time high. This AP poll has his approval at 34% -- that's the lowest number I recall seeing these last two years.

AP-NORC poll: Shutdown drags Trump approval to yearlong low

Quote:
A strong majority of Americans blame President Donald Trump for the record-long government shutdown and reject his primary rationale for a border wall, according to a new poll that shows the turmoil in Washington is dragging his approval rating to its lowest level in more than a year.

Overall, 34 percent of Americans approve of Trump’s job performance in a survey conducted by The Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research. That’s down from 42 percent a month earlier and nears the lowest mark of his two-year presidency. The president’s approval among Republicans remains close to 80 percent, but his standing with independents is among its lowest points of his time in office.

8-point drop in one month.

Doesn't matter what poll you look at. His approval rating looks like the Hindenburg. https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/trump-approval-ratings/

But when election time hits. I expect his approval rating to go up to low 40s (at the max). The country is filled with closeted Trump supporters.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:42 pm    Post subject:

I think FiveThirtyEight has the most accurate polls because they aggregate all polls to come up with a percentage. The latest I saw is Trump's approval is at 40%.
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:48 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Maybe, but when your opponents (Trump and McConnell) only respond to pure power politics, I don't mind her punching back. IMO, it's terribly insulting that this guy wants to give another campaign speech (which is what it's going to be inevitably) while people are working without pay or not working at all.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:51 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Michael Cohen postpones plan to testify at Congress because of fear for his family’s safety

LINK

Quote:
Davis cited “ongoing threats” to Cohen’s family from Trump and the president’s current personal attorney, Rudy Giuliani, in the decision to postpone his Feb. 7 appearance before the House Oversight Committee.

If this is true both Trump and Giuliani are in violation of law. This is obstruction at it's apex.

If it is true, yes, but if it is not provable, then not, at least according to our system.

I'm fairly sure if it weren't provable it wouldn't be presented in a court of law. IMO their "ongoing threats" is proof enough. It would take a Beverly Hills lawyer to debunk what's been printed, their statements. They're giving more evidence for Mueller's investigation.

ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:56 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
I think FiveThirtyEight has the most accurate polls because they aggregate all polls to come up with a percentage. The latest I saw is Trump's approval is at 40%.

I was going to link to them to make that very point. They, and others, try to get to some average of the polling, though each polling firm is weighted based on other factors.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:01 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

I imagine most Americans would agree with you. Still, there is a reason to deny Trump a podium to indoctrinate the people and spew his propaganda to get his way. Yes, it is his right to give the speech, but it is also the right of Federal workers to get paid.

As such, I will have to agree with Nancy, even if it is petty.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:01 pm    Post subject:

I like Gillibrand more after watching this video :

I'd vote for her with no hesitation if she won the primary. But right now I see her as strong candidate for the VP spot on the ticket at best.

Last edited by kikanga on Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:02 pm    Post subject:

Heartburn wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Maybe, but when your opponents (Trump and McConnell) only respond to pure power politics, I don't mind her punching back. IMO, it's terribly insulting that this guy wants to give another campaign speech (which is what it's going to be inevitably) while people are working without pay or not working at all.

Punch back by letting them dig a hole. Expose the lies I know they will tell. Expose them over and over again with proof.

VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:04 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Letting him give a SOTU like everything is normal would be an abdication of her duty. 800,000 government employees are suffering at his hands. You don't reward him by giving him a microphone to lie from the well of Congress while he keeps the government shut down. Not petty or pointless at all, imo.

well put
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:07 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Heartburn wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Punch back by letting them dig a hole. Expose the lies I know they will tell. Expose them over and over again with proof.

The hole they have dug is deep enough. Don't lower a mic into the hole so they can keep spewing garbage, especially when it's at the expense of the entire government.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:13 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

It's a move that strikes at the heart of emotional Trumpers more so than the logical Democrats in our country. The fact that you think it's pointless is actually a good sign. Trump and Trumpers specialize in pointless gestures. Oh and power moves that leave the opposition helpless.

Last edited by kikanga on Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:17 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

I imagine most Americans would agree with you. Still, there is a reason to deny Trump a podium to indoctrinate the people and spew his propaganda to get his way. Yes, it is his right to give the speech, but it is also the right of Federal workers to get paid.

As such, I will have to agree with Nancy, even if it is petty.

The President has shut the government down and refuses to re-open it. He just gave a televised address to the nation. If he wants to be on TV again he should re-open the government.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:22 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Further reflection allows you may have a valid point. Her position as I understand it is to get the government reopened. It may be deemed vindictive and petty by some but may turn out to be effective. She's in a position of power. If she shows Trump she's not willing to go along to get along she may be right in not allowing the SOTU to be given in the chamber. Let him do as he says he'd do, find another place and expose the lies. I'm conflicted.

Last edited by jodeke on Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:34 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
I like Gillibrand more after watching this video :

I'd vote for her with no hesitation if she won the primary. But right now I see her as strong candidate for the VP spot on the ticket at best.

I think she knows she has no shot to win the nomination. She's running for VP.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1356, 1357, 1358 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next
Page 1357 of 3663
Jump to: