THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1359, 1360, 1361 ... 3669, 3670, 3671  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:26 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
He blinked

Trump agrees to hold State of the Union address after shutdown ends

LINK

Quote:
President Donald Trump backed down Wednesday night and said he would hold his State of the Union address after the government shutdown is over.

“Nancy Pelosi asked me to give the State of the Union Address. I agreed. She then changed her mind because of the Shutdown, suggesting a later date. This is her prerogative - I will do the Address when the Shutdown is over,” Trump tweeted. “I look forward to giving a ‘great’ State of the Union Address in the near future!”

He didn't "blink".

Quite the opposite. He simply postponed the SOTU. He didn't end the Shutdown. In the meantime, he gets to play around with the shutdown while blaming it on the Dems. Until he decides that despite the Dems "unwillingness" to resolve things, he must "do his his duty as the President" and have the SOTU on his own terms.

Like I said . . . pissing contest.

Has he ever respected the (putatively) co-equal power of Congress in public before this?

The "pissing contest" is also about upholding norms, the law, and the Constitution and stuff.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:28 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
He blinked

LINK

Quote:
President Donald Trump backed down Wednesday night and said he would hold his State of the Union address after the government shutdown is over.

“Nancy Pelosi asked me to give the State of the Union Address. I agreed. She then changed her mind because of the Shutdown, suggesting a later date. This is her prerogative - I will do the Address when the Shutdown is over,” Trump tweeted. “I look forward to giving a ‘great’ State of the Union Address in the near future!”

He didn't "blink".

Quite the opposite. He simply postponed the SOTU. He didn't end the Shutdown. In the meantime, he gets to play around with the shutdown while blaming it on the Dems. Until he decides that despite the Dems "unwillingness" to resolve things, he must "do his his duty as the President" and have the SOTU on his own terms.

that's a pissing contest he can only win with fox viewers not exactly expanding the base

It's not a question of him expanding the base. It's about feeding the "both sides are bad" idiots who are more dangerous than Trump's base.

those are the fox viewers...that is the trump base ...they just won't admit it and don't want to talk politics right now
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:29 pm    Post subject:

Qsmiff wrote:
State Of The Union Address to be given at the VFW hall south of K street...... everybody bring a dish!! ..,.....Newt is in charge of ice...and paper plates!!

LINK?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Qsmiff
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:33 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Qsmiff wrote:
State Of The Union Address to be given at the VFW hall south of K street...... everybody bring a dish!! ..,.....Newt is in charge of ice...and paper plates!!

LINK?

You have to go to the VFW website....lol
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:33 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Qsmiff wrote:

LINK?

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:36 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
He blinked

LINK

Quote:

He didn't "blink".

You don't call the bold blinking?

I already explained why it isn't.

Our definition of blinking differ. LINK
Quote:
WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump said Wednesday night he is postponing his State of the Union address until the partial government shutdown ends, yielding after a weeklong showdown with House Speaker Nancy Pelosi.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Qsmiff
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:42 pm    Post subject:

VicXLakers wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Qsmiff wrote:

LINK?

...and to think, I almost didn't click that link......Fun at the VFW hall...... GOOD TIMES!!..
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:43 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
I'm not going to call them racist. They just did blackface at basketball games for school spirit.

Are we sure that was blackface? My understanding is that game was a "black out" game where they are all supposed to dress in black. And nearly everyone is wearing black in it with some kids in the full body paint.

I have seen other photos of them during "blue out" events, where the kids are rocking full blue body paint in the same way. I'm not sure which group that would be racist against, if at all.

Yeah, I know there are times where the kids wear jackets with hoods, so why would anyone get upset if they all wore white hoods, amirite?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:56 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
This is not about a pissing contest. This is about preserving a Democracy, preserving checks and balances, preserving the institutions of government.

Trump is trying to destroy our Democracy from within and has been doing so for two years.

And we just all pretend like it's business as usual, like he's just any other Republican president we don't like.

No. It's bigger than that. He is a (bleep) Russian puppet trying to dismantle the FBI and use the DOJ to go after his enemies and stop the investigation into his own crimes.

SOMEONE HAS TO SAY NO. THIS IS NOT NORMAL. YOU WILL NOT GET AWAY WITH THIS.

This is the first step. Next come congressional investigations. And then maybe impeachment.

Not because he's an R and we're D's. But because he's a (bleep) traitor trying to destroy all that is good about our country.

Of course it's a pissing contest. I mean we can pretend it's about some dignified decorum. But in the world that is reality and not spin, it's just back and forth that amounts to a pissing contest.

Trump will have his SOTU under a different set of circumstances. The difference will be the GOP will then have the "Democrats as Obstructionists" card to play. And then the Dems will fire back their rhetoric as to how the GOP acted out of turn etc. . . .

That's the very definition of a pissing contest. The fact that it is taking place on the political stage doesn't change that.

I don’t get this. If they don’t stand up to him you give them grief for rolling over. When they do, you give them grief for that. Trump shut down the government. He now wants to come into the well if the house and spew lies and propaganda. Nancy said no thank you. She will give him that honor when he does his job and opens the government. He can say whatever he wants in his speech, but not while he has the government shut down.
Qsmiff
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:56 pm    Post subject:

Lol.....Amen my brotha'!!
Qsmiff
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:59 pm    Post subject:

You don't let tantruming children have their way.....you drive off, and leave them at the market!!...lol
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:00 pm    Post subject:

I actually feel bad for people like ring finger. Given some financial success in their lives, they seem to want to shill for the MAGA people who don’t hold them any more human or worthwhile than the master held the house slaves as higher than the field slaves. Selling out your brothers and sisters doesnt make you less of a savage to them, it just makes you a stupid and useful savage to them.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:08 pm    Post subject:

Qsmiff wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Qsmiff wrote:

LINK?

...and to think, I almost didn't click that link......Fun at the VFW hall...... GOOD TIMES!!..

you said bring your own dish would I steer you wrong?

Wanna buy a watch?*

* an old joke from another place and time
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:18 pm    Post subject:

Nancy Pelosi knows that Trump can get absolutely nothing from a shutdown, or else he will do it over and over again. He must yield before he can get anything.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:38 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
I don’t get this. If they don’t stand up to him you give them grief for rolling over. When they do, you give them grief for that.

It’s not hard to get. I play each hand as it is dealt. It’s the only way to navigate the ever changing (bleep). It’s about how you approach each battle. I’ve already laid out why I think sticking to this denial of the SOTU is a mistake, but I’ll expand on it. The initial declaration that Trump shouldn’t give his address under the shutdown made sense and I support it. But Trump doubled down. At that point the logical next move is to step back and let him defy the rejection, and then call him on it after the fact. In so doing you maintain an upper hand of integrity. Anything else is simply engaging in the immature back and forth we wish to condemn Trump for.

Instead he’ll ultimately get his SOTU out there some way. It’s ridiculous to believe his supposed concession means he won’t.
Quote:
Trump shut down the government. He now wants to come into the well if the house and spew lies and propaganda. Nancy said no thank you.

Once Trump defied that, the best move was to say, “OK, bring it” and shut him down on the lack of merit in the message. Doing otherwise just plays into his hands.

Quote:
She will give him that honor when he does his job and opens the government. He can say whatever he wants in his speech, but not while he has the government shut down.

As I said, he’ll find a way to say it anyway. And do so while playing the victim. I get what you and others are saying. I just think it’s based on a huge miscalculation despite the fact it appears to make sense.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:53 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Nancy Pelosi knows that Trump can get absolutely nothing from a shutdown, or else he will do it over and over again. He must yield before he can get anything.

Thinking Trump will yield is a huge miscalculation, as we will see when he defies this alleged concession he made today.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:02 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
I actually feel bad for people like ring finger. Given some financial success in their lives, they seem to want to shill for the MAGA people who don’t hold them any more human or worthwhile than the master held the house slaves as higher than the field slaves. Selling out your brothers and sisters doesnt make you less of a savage to them, it just makes you a stupid and useful savage to them.

I don’t. They pompously and naively engage in disingenuousness while trying to justify everything that is wrong.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:02 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Thinking Trump will yield is a huge miscalculation, as we will see when he defies this alleged concession he made today.

How so?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:03 pm    Post subject:

Pelosi has him over a barrel. He knows it and she knows it.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:08 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

I don’t. They pompously and naively engage in disingenuousness while trying to justify everything that is wrong.

I have some sympathy for folks who don’t know that the people they have chosen to affiliate with don’t see them as equals and never will. There’s something pitiful about that.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:09 pm    Post subject:

VicXLakers wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Qsmiff wrote:

LINK?

Where is that? I wanna go to the party.

Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:15 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
I don’t get this. If they don’t stand up to him you give them grief for rolling over. When they do, you give them grief for that.

It’s not hard to get. I play each hand as it is dealt. It’s the only way to navigate the ever changing (bleep). It’s about how you approach each battle. I’ve already laid out why I think sticking to this denial of the SOTU is a mistake, but I’ll expand on it. The initial declaration that Trump shouldn’t give his address under the shutdown made sense and I support it. But Trump doubled down. At that point the logical next move is to step back and let him defy the rejection, and then call him on it after the fact. In so doing you maintain an upper hand of integrity. Anything else is simply engaging in the immature back and forth we wish to condemn Trump for.

Instead he’ll ultimately get his SOTU out there some way. It’s ridiculous to believe his supposed concession means he won’t.
Quote:
Trump shut down the government. He now wants to come into the well if the house and spew lies and propaganda. Nancy said no thank you.

Once Trump defied that, the best move was to say, “OK, bring it” and shut him down on the lack of merit in the message. Doing otherwise just plays into his hands.

Quote:
She will give him that honor when he does his job and opens the government. He can say whatever he wants in his speech, but not while he has the government shut down.

As I said, he’ll find a way to say it anyway. And do so while playing the victim. I get what you and others are saying. I just think it’s based on a huge miscalculation despite the fact it appears to make sense.

I respect your opinion. If I agree with Nancy that she doesn’t owe him the stage in her house while the government is shut down. Just as she doesn’t owe him a wall. He can speak where he wants. Except one place.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:50 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

I respect your opinion. If I agree with Nancy that she doesn’t owe him the stage in her house while the government is shut down. Just as she doesn’t owe him a wall. He can speak where he wants. Except one place.

Colbert used a very old bartender adage about the place to speak, You don't have to go home but you can't stay here.

slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:41 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

This shutdown is nothing more than Trump throwing a tantrum.

If a little kid wants something his parents say he can't have, he will raise hell until his parents give in. Pelosi shouldn't give in, and it seems right now like she won't.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:59 am    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

This shutdown is nothing more than Trump throwing a tantrum.

If a little kid wants something his parents say he can't have, he will raise hell until his parents give in. Pelosi shouldn't give in, and it seems right now like she won't.

The Shutdown has definitely slowed the BLUE WAVE taking their places in Government... He is trying to figure out what they have planned to attack him with?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1359, 1360, 1361 ... 3669, 3670, 3671  Next
Page 1360 of 3671
Jump to: