THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1360, 1361, 1362 ... 3669, 3670, 3671  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:21 am    Post subject:

I think it's definitely has a pissing contest element to it the second time Pelosi denied Trump the SOTU but it works so gotta give her the credit... I mean, when did the last time Trump 'yield' in politics
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:27 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
PSA: Kamala Harris is going to be interviewed by Rachel Maddow tonight.

Yes she was and yes she was quite dynamic. She's a force and one I will play very close attention to.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:22 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
I actually feel bad for people like ring finger. Given some financial success in their lives, they seem to want to shill for the MAGA people who don’t hold them any more human or worthwhile than the master held the house slaves as higher than the field slaves. Selling out your brothers and sisters doesnt make you less of a savage to them, it just makes you a stupid and useful savage to them.

Exhibit A on why it's almost a virtual guarantee I won't be voting blue.

And selling out my brothers and sisters? Wow, you're calling me an Uncle Tom? That seems mildly inappropriate.

You do realize, that this sort of rhetoric is precisely what creates MAGA people don't you? You probably don't realize it, since I don't believe it is your intention, but positions like this put people in a place where the only thing left to do is accept and own their label. It reinforces group membership. Basic psychology 101.

I said it in here years ago, pre-Trump, that the virtue signaling and public shaming, the use of our skin color and other minority issues as props, would only create more divisiveness over time, not less. What started out as good intentions has just snowballed into a mess that is destined to eat itself in the race to the bottom.

We all had a good thing going. We were making progress, in some areas, very much so. But now the left, particularly the extremists, have been equally complicit in ruining it. It should tell the Dems something about their strategy when they couldn't even beat what I think we would all agree is the worst presidential candidate in the history of the United States.

It shouldn't be that hard. All they have to do is get out of their own way. And I'll be happy when they do, so they can be the party of reason instead of derangement once again.
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:34 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
I actually feel bad for people like ring finger. Given some financial success in their lives, they seem to want to shill for the MAGA people who don’t hold them any more human or worthwhile than the master held the house slaves as higher than the field slaves. Selling out your brothers and sisters doesnt make you less of a savage to them, it just makes you a stupid and useful savage to them.

And selling out my brothers and sisters? Wow, you're calling me an Uncle Tom? That seems mildly inappropriate.

You do realize, that this sort of rhetoric is precisely what creates MAGA people don't you? You probably don't realize it, since I don't believe it is your intention, but positions like this put people in a place where the only thing left to do is accept and own their label. It reinforces group membership. Basic psychology 101.

I said it in here years ago, pre-Trump, that the virtue signaling and public shaming, the use of our skin color and other minority issues as props, would only create more divisiveness over time, not less. What started out as good intentions has just snowballed into a mess that is destined to eat itself in the race to the bottom.

We all had a good thing going. We were making progress, in some areas, very much so. But now the left, particularly the extremists, have been equally complicit in ruining it. It should tell the Dems something about their strategy when they couldn't even beat what I think we would all agree is the worst presidential candidate in the history of the United States.

It shouldn't be that hard. All they have to do is get out of their own way. And I'll be happy when they do, so they can be the party of reason instead of derangement once again.

Luckily for us we don’t need you to vote for a Democrat. All of your neighbors in Orange County did it for you. How’d that blue wave feel?
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:52 am    Post subject:

lakerjoshua wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Luckily for us we don’t need you to vote for a Democrat. All of your neighbors in Orange County did it for you. How’d that blue wave feel?

It felt ... surprising and yet unsurprising at the same time?
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:57 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

Eh. He's a conservative masquerading as an independent (which is typical of independents) and he gets off on being a contrarian and riling people up. The fact that he's eliminated ALL Democrats from consideration before the field is even determined says it all. He has a MAGA hat he just wears it backwards.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:01 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Eh. He's a conservative masquerading as an independent (which is typical of independents) and he gets off on being a contrarian and riling people up. The fact that he's eliminated ALL Democrats from consideration before the field is even determined says it all. He has a MAGA hat he just wears it backwards.

It's true that I hold a number of conservative positions, but at no time have I ever considered myself a conservative.

Who gets to decide what I am?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:36 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
I think it's definitely has a pissing contest element to it the second time Pelosi denied Trump the SOTU but it works so gotta give her the credit... I mean, when did the last time Trump 'yield' in politics

She didn’t deny him a second time. She said he couldn’t come until the shutdown is over. The shutdown is still going on.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:50 am    Post subject:

What is the largest Terrorist Attack on the people of the USA

The media needs to start asking the question

Is Trump a Terrorist himself?

Why is the Government still closed

It was a terrorist attack against the USA
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:52 am    Post subject:

Love how Ring blames the Dems for racial and ethnic division in politics. When Trump created a self proclaimed Muslim ban, killed refugees in a concentration camp, let Americans die in Puerto Rico due to a lack of food and water, encouraged police brutality, attacked an American judge for having an Hispanic last name, and started birtherism.

But sure, it's the Dems fault for calling him out on it.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:07 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Love how Ring blames the Dems for racial and ethnic division in politics. When Trump created a self proclaimed Muslim ban, killed refugees in a concentration camp, let Americans die in Puerto Rico due to a lack of food and water, encouraged police brutality, attacked an American judge for having an Hispanic last name, and started birtherism . . .

Called all immigrants from Mexico rapist and drug dealers, defined White Supremacists as "very fine people", referred to African and Caribbean nations as "(bleep) hole countries . . . and the list goes on

It is undeniable that the current racial divide was initiated, driven, expanded and is being sustained by Trump and the GOP . . . absolutely undeniable by anyone of any intelligence and honesty.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:20 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Love how Ring blames the Dems for racial and ethnic division in politics. When Trump created a self proclaimed Muslim ban, killed refugees in a concentration camp, let Americans die in Puerto Rico due to a lack of food and water, encouraged police brutality, attacked an American judge for having an Hispanic last name, and started birtherism.

I said the Dems are equally complicit. The call out culture employed by the left isn't effective -- that's precisely why we are seeing more divisiveness, not less.

Just because you disagree with something, that doesn't mean that however you respond to it is effective.

Shaming and scarlet lettering doesn't work. It doesn't work on animals, it doesn't work on children, and it certainly doesn't work on adults. It has the opposite effect. If you call your significant other a fatty every day no matter how much weight they've lost, eventually, a lot of the time they're just going to give up and just be a fatty.

This party took a group of people who elected Barack Obama to a second year team and in a span of less than 4 years pushed them so far away that enough people just said bleep this, I'll just stand over here then. Instead of realizing that and looking within, they're just doubling down on it.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:25 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
kikanga wrote:

I said the Dems are equally complicit. The call out culture employed by the left isn't effective -- that's precisely why we are seeing more divisiveness, not less.

Just because you disagree with something, that doesn't mean that however you respond to it is effective.

Shaming and scarlet lettering doesn't work. It doesn't work on animals, it doesn't work on children, and it certainly doesn't work on adults. It has the opposite effect. If you call your significant other a fatty every day no matter how much weight they've lost, eventually, a lot of the time they're just going to give up and just be a fatty.

This party took a group of people who elected Barack Obama to a second year team and in a span of less than 4 years pushed them so far away that enough people just said bleep this, I'll just stand over here then. Instead of realizing that and looking within, they're just doubling down on it.

For a group that does so much finger pointing conservative voters sure seem to get their feelings hurt a lot when their (bleep) behavior is pointed out.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:25 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Love how Ring blames the Dems for racial and ethnic division in politics. When Trump created a self proclaimed Muslim ban, killed refugees in a concentration camp, let Americans die in Puerto Rico due to a lack of food and water, encouraged police brutality, attacked an American judge for having an Hispanic last name, and started birtherism . . .

Called all immigrants from Mexico rapist and drug dealers, defined White Supremacists as "very fine people", referred to African and Caribbean nations as "(bleep) hole countries . . . and the list goes on

It is undeniable that the current racial divide was initiated, driven, expanded and is being sustained by Trump and the GOP . . . absolutely undeniable by anyone of any intelligence and honesty.

Wrong. The divide was occurring long before Trump, it's just been exacerbated by him and during his tenure.

I'd like you to read this article from Psychology Today. It was written pre-Trump in early 2015, and it espouses many of the things I was saying pre-Trump as well. https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/positively-media/201505/shame-social-shamers

Even if you want to put all the blame on Trump, fine, then you need to ask yourself how Trump became a thing to begin with among a voter base that should in theory should have gotten younger and elected Obama twice.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:31 am    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
kikanga wrote:

For a group that does so much finger pointing conservative voters sure seem to get their feelings hurt a lot when their (bleep) behavior is pointed out.

Are you confused as to why that might be?
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:36 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Wrong. The divide was occurring long before Trump, it's just been exacerbated by him and during his tenure.

Do you understand the word "current"?
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:41 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
governator wrote:

She didn’t deny him a second time. She said he couldn’t come until the shutdown is over. The shutdown is still going on.

Some people prob see it as purely Pelosi defending the country, I see it as Pelosi playing politics and played it well
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:53 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Do you understand the word "current"?

Of course I do. But "current" is a subjective term. I assumed it meant "over the past few years". What's your timeframe for "current"?

I'm pretty sure the article I referenced was posted before he even announced he was running. The signs and growing trends were there long before Trump. He's really more the byproduct of our collective failure.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:55 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

Of course I do. But "current" is a subjective term. I assumed it meant "over the past few years". What's your timeframe for "current"?

I'm pretty sure the article I referenced was posted before he even announced he was running. The signs and growing trends were there long before Trump. He's really more the byproduct of our collective failure.

Haha, c'mon, now. You just glossed over current on this one. Don't reply with, "Current? Whatever do you meaaan, current?..."
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:23 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Haha, c'mon, now. You just glossed over current on this one. Don't reply with, "Current? Whatever do you meaaan, current?..."

Well, it's not clear. He brought up examples of things Trump did before he was even President. I did the same.

The current divide, I'm arguing, started well before Trump. There's no doubt it is worse now with him in office. But the reason it is worse has equal blame on both sides. The tactics employed by the left got him here to begin with, and instead of changing course, they are doubling down on it. It's too much for me. Sorry.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:24 am    Post subject:

So sick of "both sides".
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:32 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

It's just another example of rf's silly semantics games to further his disingenuousness.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:36 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
kikanga wrote:

That's true. The racism in politics started before Trump. Barry Goldwater is another Republican that immediately comes to mind.

Last edited by kikanga on Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:38 am; edited 2 times in total
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:36 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Well, it's not clear. He brought up examples of things Trump did before he was even President.

No, the things I mentioned all happened during his presidency with the exception of the comment about immigrants which he made during his campaign.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:46 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Nancy Pelosi knows that Trump can get absolutely nothing from a shutdown, or else he will do it over and over again. He must yield before he can get anything.

Thinking Trump will yield is a huge miscalculation, as we will see when he defies this alleged concession he made today.

Quote:

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump said Wednesday night he is postponing his State of the Union address until the partial government shutdown ends, yielding after a weeklong showdown with House Speaker Nancy Pelosi.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1360, 1361, 1362 ... 3669, 3670, 3671  Next
Page 1361 of 3671
Jump to: