THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1395, 1396, 1397 ... 3671, 3672, 3673  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:54 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Andrew G. McCabe, the former deputy F.B.I. director, said in an interview aired on Thursday that top Justice Department officials became so alarmed by President Trump’s decision in May 2017 to fire James B. Comey, the bureau’s director, that they discussed whether to recruit cabinet members to invoke the 25th Amendment to remove Mr. Trump from office.

The dire concerns about the president’s actions also prompted Mr. McCabe to order the bureau’s team investigating Russia’s election interference to look into whether Mr. Trump had obstructed justice by firing Mr. Comey. The F.B.I. also began examining whether Mr. Trump had been working on behalf of Russia against American interests.

25th
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:12 pm    Post subject:

Just about every photo op with Trump has at least 1, sometimes only 1, African American in the picture. Hey look there's my African American! He's so obvious it's shameful.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:14 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
UBI ought to be a conservative issue. As automation removes jobs, one of the best uses of unemployed and underemployed people is as consumers. That income you give them gives you a huge multiplier effect as they spend it.

Who is subsidizing the income? If it's a generous billionaire, I'm totally good with it.
It should be part of that 70% tax on the ultra rich. Part of that goes into the UBI fund. The more automation we get, the more they have to put into that fund. It will always be a lot less than the difference between the amounts they are making by losing human employees and going with automation/robots. So they will not be able to yell foul.

But then how would it be a conservative issue? They're not going to want to tax themselves at 70% (well, the rich ones anyway).

Plus, I don't think that would work. Most of the wealth from the ultra rich isn't from salaried income is it? A lot of them draw a $1 salary (Zuckerberg, Larry Ellison, etc) and I think Jeff Bezos only makes around $80,000 per year. Much of their wealth is tied up in investments.
i just thru that out there. but you are correct. it would not be a salary tax or it couldnt only be that. it would have to be something else or a mixture of a few taxes to capture that money. It could be done. the money is there, we just have to go get it...back.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:26 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Quote:
McConnell says Trump will sign spending bill and declare national emergency

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/02/14/spending-bill-vote-government-shutdown-1170006

And the era of declaring national emergencies to advance policy you can't pass in Congress begins.

Oh, will they ever regret this since the Dems have a far more aggressive agenda. Either the Dems challenge this and the courts do not uphold the practice, or they do uphold the practice which could be years from now and BT (beyond Trump). If the latter is the case, just wait for the national emergencies in health care, or global warming/climate change, or . . .

Last edited by ribeye on Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:30 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
U.S. retail sales in December suffered their worst decline in nine years, according to Commerce Department data released Thursday, a potential red flag for economic growth.

Advance estimates of December 2018 retail and food services sales, a major driver of the U.S. economy, fell 1.2 percent from the previous month, to $505.8 billion, according to the Census Bureau.

The drop is the steepest plunge in retails sales since August 2009, according to a Bloomberg News analysis of Commerce Department data.

Consumer spending is responsible for roughly 70 percent of U.S. growth and considered a key indicator of future economic conditions. The unexpected December plunge is the latest in a series of signs that growth is starting to slow after gradually accelerating since 2017.

In the wake of Thursday’s dismal sales data, J.P. Morgan slashed its projection for economic growth in the fourth quarter of 2018 from 2.6 percent to 2 percent of gross domestic product on an annualized basis.

Retail Sales Biggest Drop in 9 Years

Quote:
Consumers and businesses in financial distress continue to file for bankruptcy, according to the latest report from the American Bankruptcy Institute.

For example, commercial Chapter 11 filings increased 75 percent in October 2018 over October 2017.

The ABI also reports the average nationwide per capita bankruptcy filing rate for October 2018 increased slightly to 2.49 (total filings per 1,000 per population) from the filing rate of 2.48 during the first nine months of 2018.

States with the highest per capita filing rate (total filings per 1,000 population) through the first 10 months of this year are: Alabama (5.74); Tennessee (5.54); Georgia (4.61); Mississippi (4.34); and Illinois (3.77.)

Trumpians Playing Follow The Leader
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:58 pm    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:
who will bring the suit challenging this declaration's validity?

Nancy Pelosi, as the Speaker of the House, can challenge on the basis that Congress has the power to appropriate money.

She basically said so today.
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:51 pm    Post subject:

Heartburn wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Quote:

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/02/14/spending-bill-vote-government-shutdown-1170006

And the era of declaring national emergencies to advance policy you can't pass in Congress begins.

Let's not pretend that the GOP is worried about Dems pulling this trick when we have Dem president. They have no memory and they cannot be shamed. Especially their leader McConnell.

"...Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.” - George Orwell, 1984.

As I said:

@ManuRaju on Twitter:

“This is a fight worth having,” Lindsey Graham on a national emergency. I asked him if he concerned about the precedent it would set: “I’m not worried about what some Democrat is going to do in the future,” he said.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:04 pm    Post subject:

I see this as a win-win.
Either the national emergency will be stopped by the legislative and/or judicial branches. Or the national emergency will stand, and the next Dem President can use this precedent to advance progressive policy as soon as 2 years from now.

I do prefer option 1 though.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:27 pm    Post subject:

THIS IS WHERE TRUMP WANT'S TO BUILD HIS WALL

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:46 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
PHILosophize wrote:
who will bring the suit challenging this declaration's validity?

Nancy Pelosi, as the Speaker of the House, can challenge on the basis that Congress has the power to appropriate money.

She basically said so today.

interesting

I could see there being a debate re: her standing or whether it's a political question, especially with this scotus
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:24 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
Quote:
U.S. retail sales in December suffered their worst decline in nine years, according to Commerce Department data released Thursday, a potential red flag for economic growth.

Advance estimates of December 2018 retail and food services sales, a major driver of the U.S. economy, fell 1.2 percent from the previous month, to $505.8 billion, according to the Census Bureau.

The drop is the steepest plunge in retails sales since August 2009, according to a Bloomberg News analysis of Commerce Department data.

Consumer spending is responsible for roughly 70 percent of U.S. growth and considered a key indicator of future economic conditions. The unexpected December plunge is the latest in a series of signs that growth is starting to slow after gradually accelerating since 2017.

In the wake of Thursday’s dismal sales data, J.P. Morgan slashed its projection for economic growth in the fourth quarter of 2018 from 2.6 percent to 2 percent of gross domestic product on an annualized basis.

Retail Sales Biggest Drop in 9 Years

Quote:
Consumers and businesses in financial distress continue to file for bankruptcy, according to the latest report from the American Bankruptcy Institute.

For example, commercial Chapter 11 filings increased 75 percent in October 2018 over October 2017.

The ABI also reports the average nationwide per capita bankruptcy filing rate for October 2018 increased slightly to 2.49 (total filings per 1,000 per population) from the filing rate of 2.48 during the first nine months of 2018.

States with the highest per capita filing rate (total filings per 1,000 population) through the first 10 months of this year are: Alabama (5.74); Tennessee (5.54); Georgia (4.61); Mississippi (4.34); and Illinois (3.77.)

Trumpians Playing Follow The Leader

Auto loan delinquencies surge past Great Recession rate

Kelly Anne Smith
@keywordkelly
February 12, 2019 in
Auto Loans
https://www.bankrate.com/loans/auto-loans/auto-loan-delinquencies-rise/
Quote:
More Americans are falling behind on one of their biggest financial obligations, and that’s a puzzling trend in light of a strong economy and jobs picture.

Some 7 million Americans are 90 days or more behind on their auto loan payments, new data released by the Federal Reserve Bank of New York shows. The number of delinquent loans follows a trend of steady increases since 2011 and has risen to the highest level in the 19-year history of the bank’s loan origination data.

“That is more than a million more troubled borrowers than there had been at the end of 2010 when the overall delinquency rates were at their worst,” economists at the New York Fed wrote in a blog post.
The economy is strong, so why are delinquencies rising?

Most auto loans taken out in 2018 to what the Fed describes as the “most creditworthy individuals,” or those with credit scores about 720. But borrowers with credit scores less than 620 had delinquency rates exceeding 8 percent in the fourth quarter of last year. The New York Fed finds the development “surprising” considering the strong economy and labor market.

“The overall performance of auto loans has been slowly worsening, despite an increasing share of prime loans in the stock,” economists at the New York Fed wrote in a blog post. “The substantial and growing number of distressed borrowers suggests that not all Americans have benefitted from the strong labor market and warrants continued monitoring and analysis of this sector.”

A recent Bankrate survey finds most Americans haven’t gotten a pay boost in the past year. October 2018’s average wage had about the same purchasing power as it did 40 years ago, according to Pew Research. As costs like health care and child care continue to increase, wages are struggling to keep up.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:17 pm    Post subject:

Adam Goldman
‏@adamgoldmanNYT

The FBI was better off when “you all only hired Irishmen,” Sessions said in one diatribe about the bureau’s workforce. “They were drunks but they could be trusted. Not like all those new people with nose rings and tattoos — who knows what they’re doing?”

4:38 PM - 14 Feb 2019

https://twitter.com/adamgoldmanNYT/status/1096207023555915776

trump has surrounded himself with the best bull shooters ever
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:17 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Wilt wrote:
It'll come down to John Roberts.

Politically speaking, Trump would probably want it defeated in the courts. He rather be seen fighting for the wall than building it.

Yeah, the wall is like the caravan. It's only useful when it is out on the horizon.

You guys really think Trump cares if the wall is built or if the court supports his declaration? I think he just need the chaos to continue to election day in 2020

I love it when a guy disagrees with your post and then agrees with your post.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:11 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
governator wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Wilt wrote:

Politically speaking, Trump would probably want it defeated in the courts. He rather be seen fighting for the wall than building it.

Yeah, the wall is like the caravan. It's only useful when it is out on the horizon.

You guys really think Trump cares if the wall is built or if the court supports his declaration? I think he just need the chaos to continue to election day in 2020

No way! I hate that. But I love it when a guy disagrees with what I'm saying and then agrees.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:10 am    Post subject:

Trumpians Filing their Taxes and Finally Realising They Got Swindled
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:19 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
governator wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Wilt wrote:

No way! I hate that. But I love it when a guy disagrees with what I'm saying and then agrees.

Me? I’m agreeing with you guys lol

Last edited by governator on Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:37 am; edited 1 time in total
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:35 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Quote:

Oh, will they ever regret this since the Dems have a far more aggressive agenda. Either the Dems challenge this and the courts do not uphold the practice, or they do uphold the practice which could be years from now and BT (beyond Trump). If the latter is the case, just wait for the national emergencies in health care, or global warming/climate change, or . . .

Ballsy move by McConnell declaring GOP supports trump’s emergency declaration. To expand what the a left president can do

Lack of health care access emergency - Medicare for all, pharma control
Gun deaths emergency - background checks
Poverty emergency - tax reform
Climate change - green new deal
Lack of voting rights for US territories emergency - statehood
Drug addiction emergency - pharma control
Obesity emergency-
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:46 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
ribeye wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Quote:

Ballsy move by McConnell declaring GOP supports trump’s emergency declaration. To expand what the a left president can do

Obesity emergency-

2020 may not even have a recognizable government
Pure Trash Society to not have checks and balances on a Russian Agent as President

Who cares what a Democrat president can do.. still TWO YEARS away
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:56 am    Post subject:

McConnell has been the most devastatingly destructive Senate majority leader ever.

Agree/Disagree?
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:19 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
McConnell has been the most devastatingly destructive Senate majority leader ever.

Agree/Disagree?

Not sure how that's even a question. It's like asking who's faster? Usain Bolt or a pack of 8 year olds?
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:22 am    Post subject:

The Veil of Ignorance principle would be so useful here, if those on the right were even capable of applying critical thinking principles.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:42 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Agree/Disagree?

Not sure how that's even a question. It's like asking who's faster? Usain Bolt or a pack of 8 year olds?

There are probably other examples that date back to antiquity that equal him, but in terms of modern day examples, yeah, despicable.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:27 am    Post subject:

Trump says he'll declare emergency on U.S.-Mexico border

LINK

Quote:
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Donald Trump on Friday announced he would declare a national emergency at the U.S.-Mexico border, a move Democrats vowed to challenge as an unconstitutional attempt to fund his promised border wall without approval from Congress

Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:52 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
ribeye wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Quote:

Obesity emergency-

This is actually a smart move by McConnell. He gets the funding bill signed, he doesn’t break with Trump’s base, and he lets trump take this to the courts. McConnell just washed his hands of it without any significant blowback.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:13 am    Post subject:

I'm still trying to process his revisionist history on North Korea
(admittedly the only part I saw)

even for trump that was unbelievable
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1395, 1396, 1397 ... 3671, 3672, 3673  Next
Page 1396 of 3673
Jump to: