THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1397, 1398, 1399 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:06 am    Post subject:

"I bring greetings from the 45th president of the United States of America, President Donald Trump."

https://twitter.com/axios/status/1096783318799056897

crickets

That is the respect the leader of the Republican Party gets from our allies. (Though to be fair, from Trump's allies, Russia and Saudi Arabia, I would expect a hugh round of applause.)
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:14 am    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
governator wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Well, if a guy starts out by telling you it isn't actually one while announcing it, that would be the first clue. And the second would be the fairly objective statistics of border crossing. Not only is the issue not new, but it is actually decreased.

I’m with you on the facts and I’m against Trump but is the Supreme Court/legislative head would decide based on the definition of emergency, I think they won’t, they’ll look at legality which trump will prob win. We’ll see, I don’t even know which route would actually be better for the left in the long run

I’m not sure what precedent or even loose definition of emergency you could use. On a legal front, this is a slam dunk. It would require all of the conservative justices to make a ruling that would stand in infamy until a future court struck it down.

Now we get to see how wise the founding fathers really were with this whole checks and balances concept. While individuals can be foolish, I like to think our judicial institution is strong enough to handle all but the most partisan issues in the short run (right to have an abortion for example), and that things work themselves out through the courts in the longer run. But I’ll admit that I’d feel much safer with more Democrat appointed judges on the high court in the short run.

from what I know I think it's a pretty easy case on the merits

I could see a really partisan court trying to challenge a suit from pelosi on other grounds not related to the merits (like standing) but even those are probably pretty weak

someone like the governor of CA bringing the suit (from what I know CA loses a lot of funds from this presidential declaration, but someone correct me if I'm wrong) on the other hand has even fewer non-merits issues
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:55 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
"I bring greetings from the 45th president of the United States of America, President Donald Trump."

crickets

That is the respect the leader of the Republican Party gets from our allies. (Though to be fair, from Trump's allies, Russia and Saudi Arabia, I would expect a hugh round of applause.)

Love the response. Pence didn't show any embarrassment. He's cool under fire.

I can't think of a constitutional reason to impeach that would fit the standards. I've heard Maxine Waters and others talk of impeachment but I haven't seen or heard any applicable reasons. Am I missing something?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:51 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
ribeye wrote:

crickets

Love the response. Pence didn't show any embarrassment. He's cool under fire.

I can't think of a constitutional reason to impeach that would fit the standards. I've heard Maxine Waters and others talk of impeachment but I haven't seen or heard any applicable reasons. Am I missing something?

The constitutional reasons are only what the politicians think are serious crimes and misdemeanors to warrant undoing the will of the people--and this case, Comey, Facebook, Russia, and others we're sure to learn about who put their thumb on the scale. There are so many dots to connect, not to mention the many others we don't know about, that not only don't I have the energy to connect them, I don't have the energy to listen to someone else connect them--for now.

I am 95ish% certain, once connected, there will be, at least, a strong circumstantial case to impeach.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:14 pm    Post subject:

I assume this to be political. Did anyone get in the mail a American Community Survey from the United States Census Bureau? If so did you fill it out online? I got one and am conflicted as to should I or should I not fill it out.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:00 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
I assume this to be political. Did anyone get in the mail a American Community Survey from the United States Census Bureau? If so did you fill it out online? I got one and am conflicted as to should I or should I not fill it out.

Only 3.5 million people receive an ACS each year. It is used to figure out how federal grants and subsidies will be divided up between community resources like Hospitals, childrens services, programs for the elderly, community meals programs, etc. Considering less than 2 % of the Adult population receives the form, you actually have an outsized voice in your community since the overwhelming majority of your neighbors won't be receiving a questioinaire. The form's actually mandatory and if you decide not to respond to the ACS, you could be fined up to $5,000 under Title 18 U.S.C Section 3571 and Section 3559, which amends Title 13 U.S.C. Section 221.

Here is information on the ACS directly from the Census Bureau. ACS
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:13 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Only 3.5 million people receive an ACS each year. It is used to figure out how federal grants and subsidies will be divided up between community resources like Hospitals, childrens services, programs for the elderly, community meals programs, etc. Considering less than 2 % of the Adult population receives the form, you actually have an outsized voice in your community since the overwhelming majority of your neighbors won't be receiving a questioinaire. The form's actually mandatory and if you decide not to respond to the ACS, you could be fined up to $5,000 under Title 18 U.S.C Section 3571 and Section 3559, which amends Title 13 U.S.C. Section 221.

Here is information on the ACS directly from the Census Bureau. ACS

Thanks Aussie I read the entire message. It seems authentic. It didn't mention a fine. I submitted the information online. Hopefully my information will better my neighborhood. Being the skeptic I am, I doubt it will.

Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:58 pm    Post subject:

If you haven’t seen this yet, it’s worth five minutes of your time (literally the whole movie including credits is only 7 mins long): A Night At the Garden. https://anightatthegarden.com

This caught my attention because Fox News was refusing to air a commercial about this short film: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/fox-news-nazi-documentary-ad_us_5c682bdfe4b05c889d1fc15d?utm_source=reddit.com

The commercial is worth watching too.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:36 am    Post subject:

Scratching my head. Trump says he's going to build our military, signed a 717 billion defense spending bill to do so. Now he wants to move some of those monies to build his wall, declaring a national emergency. I don't think the monies will be moved but I'm truly concerned. How someone so obviously self centered is allowed to continue with his quest is troubling.

ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Scratching my head. Trump says he's going to build our military, signed a 717 billion defense spending bill to do so. Now he wants to move some of those monies to build his wall, declaring a national emergency. I don't think the monies will be moved but I'm truly concerned. How someone so obviously self centered is allowed to continue with his quest is troubling.

Convince the people they are being attacked by caravans of Rapists Murderers and Burglars crawling through their windows (agricultural workers and general laborers and asylum seekers)

And it will become an issue of "National Defense"

You just showed how easily he should be able to appropriate the funds from his 717B .. but the military is researching the effectiveness of such an expenditure before giving their ok from what I understand
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:51 am    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
If you haven’t seen this yet, it’s worth five minutes of your time (literally the whole movie including credits is only 7 mins long): A Night At the Garden. https://anightatthegarden.com

This caught my attention because Fox News was refusing to air a commercial about this short film: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/fox-news-nazi-documentary-ad_us_5c682bdfe4b05c889d1fc15d?utm_source=reddit.com

The commercial is worth watching too.

At the start I kept expecting it was some CGI editing changing images

At the end I checked
I think it is sort chronologically so this one is on the bottom of the page
https://www.cinema.ucla.edu/search/node/night%20at%20the%20garden

Just to make sure

"The truth is stranger than fiction"

"Right to Peaceful Assembly"

Then they left and blended right in with everyone else
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:15 pm    Post subject:

Does anyone know why, regarding the wall (and other things) it works this way?

Doesn’t make sense to me to have Trump or Pelosi or whoever having opinions on what measures are best suited for border security. I really don’t think either have any clue about specific border security tactics.

Don’t we have experts for that whether its DHS or Border Patrol or whatever?

At most companies, the decisions are made about how much budget to allocate for say, marketing. But those allocating the budget typically leave it up to the department heads as to how it gets spent.

You dont usually have CEOs saying “well now we need to spend X dollars on microinfluencer marketing”. At small companies yes, but not at huge corporations like a government.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:18 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:

crickets

Literally nobody likes him and not even a slice of wonderbread covered with processed mayo delivering the message will change that.

As a country we have lost all of our soft power. We might still be able to blow up the world if our giant floppy disks with the targeting programs still work but that's about it .
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:41 pm    Post subject:

A new, Democratic president will recover much of the reputation we have lost. It still sucks, but the rest of the world knows he was elected through foreign help and that he lost by millions of votes and has been unpopular throughout.

His impact will mostly be felt domestically through the army of judges he will appoint, even if he's there for just four years. That's the deal the Republicans have with him: be as crazy as you want, distract the country as much as you want, but keep appointing judges we want and we'll vote for them in the Senate.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:49 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

Doesn’t make sense to me to have Trump or Pelosi or whoever having opinions on what measures are best suited for border security. I really don’t think either have any clue about specific border security tactics.

At most companies, the decisions are made about how much budget to allocate for say, marketing. But those allocating the budget typically leave it up to the department heads as to how it gets spent.

You dont usually have CEOs saying “well now we need to spend X dollars on microinfluencer marketing”. At small companies yes, but not at huge corporations like a government.

Pelosi will heed the advise of the agencies you mentioned, Trump won't. He's placed people that will listen to him rather than those of real knowledge concerning border problems. Nancy has a better understanding of the problem than Trump.

Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:05 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
A new, Democratic president will recover much of the reputation we have lost. It still sucks, but the rest of the world knows he was elected through foreign help and that he lost by millions of votes and has been unpopular throughout.

I talk to friends overseas all the time and while they know that Trump is mostly an aberration, they are almost universally distressed that America contains a number of people roughly the size of the entire population of Italy who actually voted for him. That gives them great pause. While they knew we had crazies amongst as, as all countries do, they had no clue they were that numerous. Almost 63 million people who would even entertain electing someone as loony as Trump is scary no matter how one might like to dress it down. And when almost 90% of those people still support him after the shenanigans of the past 2 years, is downright terrifying to many around the world. That's going to be very difficult to recover from. 60ish million potential loons having the ability to vote in the most powerful nation on the planet is a legit problem...
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:33 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Pelosi will heed the advise of the agencies you mentioned, Trump won't. He's placed people that will listen to him rather than those of real knowledge concerning border problems. Nancy has a better understanding of the problem than Trump.

That’s not what she has done though.

She has already said walls are immoral. The important thing is that we secure our borders. Just let the experts decide on how.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:18 pm    Post subject:

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/02/florida-student-arrested-pledge-of-allegiance.amp
11-Year-Old Arrested After Refusing to Stand for Pledge of Allegiance

Kids get arrested for disagreeing with a substitute teacher??
11years old?

Did they handcuff the Eleven year old child and put him in a police car?
WTF X Infinity
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:46 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

That’s not what she has done though.

She has already said walls are immoral. The important thing is that we secure our borders. Just let the experts decide on how.

My point is, I think she's willing to do that.

Last edited by jodeke on Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:54 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

The experts have weighed in. There are no experts advocating the wall.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:48 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

The experts have weighed in.

Just another way the border wall is connected to climate change.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:00 am    Post subject:

McCabe interview 60 minutes

Immediately after Trump fired the man investigating him He called and demanded to know why
The ex DIRECTOR OF THE FBI was flying home on a government plane

I might think Comey is part of some big conspiracy or just really stupid but c'mon how many years of Service to the USA and treated like a piece of trash by a Russian Agent

Republicans. The R stands for Russians
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:07 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

The experts have weighed in.

Just another way the border wall is connected to climate change.

It is connected to morally bankrupting America

Should Trump become like the Taliban and start destroying old monuments not built to recognize him and his brand of love

We should tell Coulter to tell Trump He needs to teardown lady liberty
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:35 am    Post subject:

Just a reminder about who our President is on a 1-1 level when interacting with others in government. When Comey was fired, he called Andrew McCabe, the Deputy Director of the FBI and now acting Director thanks to the Comey firing, to ask about how he should get back to DC. McCabe told him the government jet has to return to DC anyway along with your security detail so go ahead and come back on the jet.

Later, Trump called McCabe, and here is part of the conversation from our President:

After we agreed on a time to meet, the president began to talk about how upset he was that Comey had flown home on his government plane from Los Angeles—Comey had been giving a speech there when he learned he was fired. The president wanted to know how that had happened.

I told him that bureau lawyers had assured me there was no legal issue with Comey coming home on the plane. I decided that he should do so. The existing threat assessment indicated he was still at risk, so he needed a protection detail. Since the members of the protection detail would all be coming home, it made sense to bring everybody back on the same plane they had used to fly out there. It was coming back anyway. The president flew off the handle: That’s not right! I don’t approve of that! That’s wrong! He reiterated his point five or seven times.

I said, I’m sorry that you disagree, sir. But it was my decision, and that’s how I decided. The president said, I want you to look into that! I thought to myself: What am I going to look into? I just told you I made that decision.

The ranting against Comey spiraled. I waited until he had talked himself out.

Toward the end of the conversation, the president brought up the subject of my wife. Jill had run unsuccessfully for the Virginia state Senate back in 2015, and the president had said false and malicious things about her during his campaign in order to tarnish the FBI. He said, How is your wife? I said, She’s fine. He said, When she lost her election, that must have been very tough to lose. How did she handle losing? Is it tough to lose?

I replied, I guess it’s tough to lose anything. But she’s rededicated herself to her career and her job and taking care of kids in the emergency room. That’s what she does.

He replied in a tone that sounded like a sneer. He said, “Yeah, that must’ve been really tough. To lose. To be a loser.”

This expletive malignant narcissist mexpletive fexpletive. I just read this again and it makes me so angry that our President is this kind of spiteful, bitter, hurtful person.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:59 am    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
This expletive malignant narcissist mexpletive fexpletive. I just read this again and it makes me so angry that our President is this kind of spiteful, bitter, hurtful person.

That's not as bad as ~63 million people, with eyes and ears, voting for him. Or today, ~40% approving of the job he is doing as President. Those two facts are far worse.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1397, 1398, 1399 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next
Page 1398 of 3663
Jump to: