THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1398, 1399, 1400 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:00 am    Post subject:

^^

2 years and still going strong
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/did-president-trump-say-i-believe-putin/ar-BBTJroD?li=BBnbcA1
Quote:
"Intelligence officials in the briefing responded that that was not consistent with any of the intelligence our government possesses," McCabe said. "To which the president replied, 'I don't care. I believe Putin.'"

When asked what he thought of the president's comments, McCabe said he was shocked.

"It's just an astounding thing to say," McCabe told Pelley. "To spend the time and effort and energy that we all do in the intelligence community to produce products that will help decision-makers and the ultimate decision maker — the president of the United States — make policy decisions. And to be confronted with an absolute disbelief in those efforts and an unwillingness to learn the true state of affairs that he has to deal with every day was just shocking."
cisternachyli
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:04 am    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
Just a reminder about who our President is on a 1-1 level when interacting with others in government. When Comey was fired, he called Andrew McCabe, the Deputy Director of the FBI and now acting Director thanks to the Comey firing, to ask about how he should get back to DC. McCabe told him the government jet has to return to DC anyway along with your security detail so go ahead and come back on the jet.

Later, Trump called McCabe, and here is part of the conversation from our President:

After we agreed on a time to meet, the president began to talk about how upset he was that Comey had flown home on his government plane from Los Angeles—Comey had been giving a speech there when he learned he was fired. The president wanted to know how that had happened.

I told him that bureau lawyers had assured me there was no legal issue with Comey coming home on the plane. I decided that he should do so. The existing threat assessment indicated he was still at risk, so he needed a protection detail. Since the members of the protection detail would all be coming home, it made sense to bring everybody back on the same plane they had used to fly out there. It was coming back anyway. The president flew off the handle: That’s not right! I don’t approve of that! That’s wrong! He reiterated his point five or seven times.

I said, I’m sorry that you disagree, sir. But it was my decision, and that’s how I decided. The president said, I want you to look into that! I thought to myself: What am I going to look into? I just told you I made that decision.

The ranting against Comey spiraled. I waited until he had talked himself out.

Toward the end of the conversation, the president brought up the subject of my wife. Jill had run unsuccessfully for the Virginia state Senate back in 2015, and the president had said false and malicious things about her during his campaign in order to tarnish the FBI. He said, How is your wife? I said, She’s fine. He said, When she lost her election, that must have been very tough to lose. How did she handle losing? Is it tough to lose?

I replied, I guess it’s tough to lose anything. But she’s rededicated herself to her career and her job and taking care of kids in the emergency room. That’s what she does.

He replied in a tone that sounded like a sneer. He said, “Yeah, that must’ve been really tough. To lose. To be a loser.”

This expletive malignant narcissist mexpletive fexpletive. I just read this again and it makes me so angry that our President is this kind of spiteful, bitter, hurtful person.

The problem is that many of the people who voted for this POS traitor are just like him; what do we do about that?
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:08 am    Post subject:

https://www.goodreads.com/work/quotes/50833-strength-to-love

Something reminded me I had read through this book in the past..

Quote:

“To have serpentlike qualities devoid of dovelike qualities
is to be passionless, mean, and selfish.
To have dovelike without serpentlike qualities
is to be sentimental, anemic, and aimless.
We must combine strongly marked antitheses.”
― Martin Luther King Jr., Strength to Love

“My friends, we cannot win the respect of the white people of the South
or elsewhere if we are willing to trade the future of our children
for our personal safety or comfort.
Moreover, we must learn that
passively to accept an unjust system
is to cooperate with that system,
and thereby to become a participant
in its evil. ...
'Put up thy sword.”

― Martin Luther King Jr., Strength to Love
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:33 am    Post subject:

The Lebrons wrote:
Surfitall wrote:
This expletive malignant narcissist mexpletive fexpletive. I just read this again and it makes me so angry that our President is this kind of spiteful, bitter, hurtful person.

That's not as bad as ~63 million people, with eyes and ears, voting for him. Or today, ~40% approving of the job he is doing as President. Those two facts are far worse.

It’s frustrating, but there is a significant group in there that will be willing to switch to a Democratic candidate if he or she can convincingly articulate how they will make their economic lives better. While every racist and mysoginist voted for Trump, not all Trump voters are racist and misogynist. More than anything else, I now believe Trump was elected out of economic frustration in the swing states, which also happen to be the states first hit by automation. (All those factory jobs went away.) To win those swing voters over, the same ones who voted for Obama, we need someone who has a legitimate plan to address the economic concerns, and someone who won’t get sucked in to the identity politics game. (I am concerned about the far lefts repeated dismissal of demonstrating that Democrats care about white males, and I consider myself further left than most.)

Right now, I keep reading about Andrew Yang running for President and I am very intrigued. He isn’t playing identity politics. He has released the most comprehensive platform I think I’ve ever seen at this stage. I don’t agree with it all (like wanting to make Puerto Rico a State)...I actually think it’s a mistake to have such a broad list of goals this early...but I like the guy. If he can stick to his core ideas (Freedom Dividend, Healthcare for All, and Himan Centered Capitalism) I think he has something.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:44 am    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
If you haven’t seen this yet, it’s worth five minutes of your time (literally the whole movie including credits is only 7 mins long): A Night At the Garden. https://anightatthegarden.com

This caught my attention because Fox News was refusing to air a commercial about this short film: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/fox-news-nazi-documentary-ad_us_5c682bdfe4b05c889d1fc15d?utm_source=reddit.com

The commercial is worth watching too.

What were your thoughts on the movie?
20,000 people in America wanted to support Nazi Germany to kill jews and russians is part of what I see

I really dislike reading about History.. especially wars.. just makes me see humanity in a way I don't like.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:47 am    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
Surfitall wrote:

That's not as bad as ~63 million people, with eyes and ears, voting for him. Or today, ~40% approving of the job he is doing as President. Those two facts are far worse.

It’s frustrating, but there is a significant group in there that will be willing to switch to a Democratic candidate if he or she can convincingly articulate how they will make their economic lives better. While every racist and mysoginist voted for Trump, not all Trump voters are racist and misogynist. More than anything else, I now believe Trump was elected out of economic frustration in the swing states, which also happen to be the states first hit by automation. (All those factory jobs went away.) To win those swing voters over, the same ones who voted for Obama, we need someone who has a legitimate plan to address the economic concerns, and someone who won’t get sucked in to the identity politics game. (I am concerned about the far lefts repeated dismissal of demonstrating that Democrats care about white males, and I consider myself further left than most.)

Right now, I keep reading about Andrew Yang running for President and I am very intrigued. He isn’t playing identity politics. He has released the most comprehensive platform I think I’ve ever seen at this stage. I don’t agree with it all (like wanting to make Puerto Rico a State)...I actually think it’s a mistake to have such a broad list of goals this early...but I like the guy. If he can stick to his core ideas (Freedom Dividend, Healthcare for All, and Himan Centered Capitalism) I think he has something.

Out of curiosity, why do you disagree with Puerto Rico being a state?
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:56 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Surfitall wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
Surfitall wrote:

I think granting statehood to Puerto Rico creates more problems than it solves. First, if we grant Puerto Rico statehood, what about American Samoa, Guam, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Etc.? Do they also get statehood? If not, why not? If so, why?

I have read that many are concerned about losing their unique culture and Spanish language, which makes them more similar to Latin America than to the US. If they are reluctant to assimilate, we should be very reluctant to have them join as a state.

There are definitely some pros for becoming a state for them. As a US territory, the Constitution is only selectively applied by congress. They don't have access to the same bankruptcy codes that states get access to. (This is bad for them.) On the other hand, if they become a state, the US then has to pick up the tab on a huge amount of their $74B debt.

They've gotten the shaft from Trump as they try to recover from the Hurricane way worse than the would have if they were a full fledged state.

I'm not in any way an expert on the pros and cons of why we continue to keep PR as a territory, but at the end of the day my gut says that both the US and PR would be better off if PR were its own fully independent country rather than as a state.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:15 pm    Post subject:

Then let these territories decide if they wanna be independent or join US statehood. If US has no intention to give them the self determination of independence then give them statehood, same with D.C., and give citizenship. Same rights, same representation as everyone
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:20 pm    Post subject:

Trump: ‘Prime Minister Abe nominated me for Nobel peace prize’

Y’all think he BS ing?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:54 pm    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Surfitall wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
Surfitall wrote:

I think granting statehood to Puerto Rico creates more problems than it solves. First, if we grant Puerto Rico statehood, what about American Samoa, Guam, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Etc.? Do they also get statehood? If not, why not? If so, why?

I have read that many are concerned about losing their unique culture and Spanish language, which makes them more similar to Latin America than to the US. If they are reluctant to assimilate, we should be very reluctant to have them join as a state.

There are definitely some pros for becoming a state for them. As a US territory, the Constitution is only selectively applied by congress. They don't have access to the same bankruptcy codes that states get access to. (This is bad for them.) On the other hand, if they become a state, the US then has to pick up the tab on a huge amount of their $74B debt.

They've gotten the shaft from Trump as they try to recover from the Hurricane way worse than the would have if they were a full fledged state.

I'm not in any way an expert on the pros and cons of why we continue to keep PR as a territory, but at the end of the day my gut says that both the US and PR would be better off if PR were its own fully independent country rather than as a state.

I think one of the main arguments against statehood for the three you mentioned is that they have populations of 55k, 164k, and 106k respectively. That's about half of the population of the least populous state, combined. Puerto Rico, OTOH, has more people than 20 of our current states, more than the bottom four combined.

I do think we should be moving these territories toward some sovereignty or statehood though.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:03 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Then let these territories decide if they wanna be independent or join US statehood. If US has no intention to give them the self determination of independence then give them statehood, same with D.C., and give citizenship. Same rights, same representation as everyone

Puerto Rico is not a state because it has been good business for a number of people for them not to be, and it would be a horrible blow for the GOP if they were. Four congressional seats and 2 senate seats that go Democratic?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:20 pm    Post subject:

This is unbelievable! He can't be that ignorant.

'I believe Putin': Trump dismissed US advice on North Korea threat, says McCabe

LINK

Quote:
A former FBI acting director has alleged Donald Trump dismissed advice from his own security agencies on the threat posed by North Korea’s missiles, saying “I don’t care. I believe Putin.”

Quote:
“The president launched into several unrelated diatribes. One of those was commenting on the recent missile launches by the government of North Korea. And, essentially, the president said he did not believe that the North Koreans had the capability to hit us here with ballistic missiles in the United States. And he did not believe that because President Putin had told him they did not. President Putin had told him that the North Koreans don’t actually have those missiles,” said McCabe.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:48 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Surfitall wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Surfitall wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
Surfitall wrote:

I think one of the main arguments against statehood for the three you mentioned is that they have populations of 55k, 164k, and 106k respectively. That's about half of the population of the least populous state, combined. Puerto Rico, OTOH, has more people than 20 of our current states, more than the bottom four combined.

I do think we should be moving these territories toward some sovereignty or statehood though.

Good point. I agree.
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:01 pm    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
Surfitall wrote:
If you haven’t seen this yet, it’s worth five minutes of your time (literally the whole movie including credits is only 7 mins long): A Night At the Garden. https://anightatthegarden.com

This caught my attention because Fox News was refusing to air a commercial about this short film: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/fox-news-nazi-documentary-ad_us_5c682bdfe4b05c889d1fc15d?utm_source=reddit.com

The commercial is worth watching too.

What were your thoughts on the movie?
20,000 people in America wanted to support Nazi Germany to kill jews and russians is part of what I see

I really dislike reading about History.. especially wars.. just makes me see humanity in a way I don't like.

I actually think the commercial is better than the movie. More concise, communicates the same message much more efficiently. I was frankly shocked to see 20,000 American Nazis doing the Nazi salute in front of a giant portrait of George Washington. This was a part of history that I didn’t realize actually happened. Thank goodness these people backed off when we joined wwII. The exclamation point at the end of the commercial is great: “It could happen here.”

With all the talk of immigration recently, back then Germans were having a massive impact on the make-up of the US population. Between 1820 and 1870, over 7.5 millions Germans moved to America. (By 2010 over 50 million Americans have German ancestry.) I guess it’s not surprising that there were supports of Hitlers regime before we had joined the war, they brought their hatreds and bigotry’s with them.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:50 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
governator wrote:

Puerto Rico is not a state because it has been good business for a number of people for them not to be, and it would be a horrible blow for the GOP if they were. Four congressional seats and 2 senate seats that go Democratic?

Yeah, unfortunately but not that many people speak up or care. Been going on for decades.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:58 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:

Y’all think he BS ing?

No BS...

Japan nominated Trump for Nobel Peace Prize after White House asked, newspaper reports

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/japan-nominated-trump-nobel-peace-prize-after-white-house-asked-n972661

I'll bet they buy a buttload of rooms at trump's Washington DC hotel to keep him happy too

THIS IS A PRESIDENT THAT CAN BE AND HAS BEEN BOUGHT
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:14 pm    Post subject:

Is Roger Stone looking for some of those famous republican Second Amendment remedies?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DzteScVXgAAeE7M.jpg
Freddie Buckets
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:48 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein is expected to leave the Justice Department in mid-March, according to a Justice Department official who spoke to CNN Monday.

The official disputed the idea that the timing of Rosenstein's departure has anything to do with the latest revelations from former acting FBI Director Andrew McCabe, emphasizing that the plan was always that Rosenstein would help with the transition for his successor and then leave.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/18/politics/rod-rosenstein-mid-march/index.html
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:01 pm    Post subject:

Freddie Buckets wrote:
Quote:
Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein is expected to leave the Justice Department in mid-March, according to a Justice Department official who spoke to CNN Monday.

The official disputed the idea that the timing of Rosenstein's departure has anything to do with the latest revelations from former acting FBI Director Andrew McCabe, emphasizing that the plan was always that Rosenstein would help with the transition for his successor and then leave.

I thought Rosenstein was going to hang on until Mueller was done? If Seth Abramson is right (and he's always right), Mueller's got another six months.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:47 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
Freddie Buckets wrote:
Quote:

I thought Rosenstein was going to hang on until Mueller was done? If Seth Abramson is right (and he's always right), Mueller's got another six months.

In other news, Individual 1 is still a raving lunatic.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:54 pm    Post subject:

VicXLakers wrote:
governator wrote:

Y’all think he BS ing?

No BS...

Japan nominated Trump for Nobel Peace Prize after White House asked, newspaper reports

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/japan-nominated-trump-nobel-peace-prize-after-white-house-asked-n972661

I'll bet they buy a buttload of rooms at trump's Washington DC hotel to keep him happy too

THIS IS A PRESIDENT THAT CAN BE AND HAS BEEN BOUGHT

First meeting with China Xi was to get his Trademark issues taken care of for him and family

Quote:

On the day the president’s daughter Ivanka Trump met the Chinese leader, China granted preliminary approval for three new trademarks for her namesake brand, covering jewellery, bags and spa service, according to official documents.

Her company, Ivanka Trump Marks LLC, has been granted four additional trademarks since her father’s inauguration and has 32 pending, according to the Associated Press, which first reported the new approvals.

Quote:

Shortly after his election in November and after a decade of fighting in court, Donald Trump was granted trademark protection for his name in the construction industry. In February, the Trump name was granted an additional 38 trademarks for a range of uses including hotels, insurance and bodyguard services.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/apr/19/ivanka-trump-brand-china-trademarks-day-us-president-met-xi-jinping
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:44 am    Post subject:

So, FBI are a bunch of powerless cowards

Rosenstein is the only person left who can keep the Mueller probe going?

Quote:

Rosenstein’s potential ouster from the Justice Department–which has generated noisy speculation in Washington legal circles for months–would be momentous. He supervises Mueller’s probe into potential coordination between Trump associates and the Kremlin during the 2016 presidential race, an inquiry that Trump regularly calls a “witch hunt.”

Solicitor General Noel Francisco, a conservative litigator with no prosecutorial experience, is next in line to take control of the probe. But many expect he would recuse himself since his old law firm, Jones Day, represents the Trump campaign. Francisco has already removed himself from several matters before the Supreme Court that the firm is litigating.

If Francisco stepped aside, then Steve Engel–who heads the Department’s elite and secretive Office of Legal Counsel–would likely step in to oversee Mueller. Engel served in the Justice Department during the George W. Bush administration and clerked for Judge Alex Kozinski, who stepped down from his post in December amid sexual misconduct allegations.

Regardless, Hill Democrats say they would view any White House effort to fire and replace Rosenstein as an attack on the Mueller probe.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/rod-rosenstein-not-ousted-as-deputy-attorney-general-for-now

Rosenstein is voluntarily stepping down?
I'd fight for the People of America

I'd right the wrongs of that Traitor Comey if I were Rosenstein
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:56 am    Post subject:

An attempt to fire or replace Rosenstein would be an attack on Mueller probe?

Reading here says he isn't overseeing the investigation since
November when Whitaker showed up

South Park Government

Too bad civilization doesn't get wiser with age. Just more corrupt and less rational thought

Quote:

Rosenstein ceased overseeing Mueller's probe on Nov. 7 when Trump named Matt Whittaker acting attorney general.

Barr now has oversight of the investigation.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:12 am    Post subject:

Bernie is in... My view personally, I like Bernie because he's the most honest/perceived the most honest (some will disagree) but he needs to step aside for the new generation. You too Hillary, Biden and even Warren

https://www.yahoo.com/news/bernie-sanders-formally-launches-2020-campaign-120037428.html
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:30 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Bernie is in... My view personally, I like Bernie because he's the most honest/perceived the most honest (some will disagree) but he needs to step aside for the new generation. You too Hillary, Biden and even Warren

https://www.yahoo.com/news/bernie-sanders-formally-launches-2020-campaign-120037428.html

Warren hasn't been a part of the Dem political machine as much as HRC was. I dont think age will be a factor among the younger generation. She has progressive ideas too.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1398, 1399, 1400 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next
Page 1399 of 3663
Jump to: