THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1425, 1426, 1427 ... 3668, 3669, 3670  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:46 am    Post subject:

White Nationalist Rep. Steve King Posts Violent Meme About New Civil War

If you are on the Left and don't think that Trump and the GOP that supports him are your enemy, you really need to rethink that. Because whether you view them as the enemy or not doesn't change the fact they they view you as theirs.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:44 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

If you are on the Left and don't think that Trump and the GOP that supports him are your enemy, you really need to rethink that. Because whether you view them as the enemy or not doesn't change the fact they they view you as theirs.

Trump doesn't know about it. He knows nothing about it. Don't even ask. He hasn't heard about Steve King, he doesn't know anything about it, look at our economy, jobs are coming back.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:16 am    Post subject:

Beto has outraised all the other candidates in the first 24 hours of his candidacy. $6.1 million.

But some are saying that $4.5 million of that was the money that he donated to the party during the Senate run, and that the party gave the money back to him. But it's unclear if that's true.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:28 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

It's allowed, Freedom of Speech. Only in America!!!

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:13 am    Post subject:

No freedom to incite or threaten violence
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:42 pm    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
No freedom to incite or threaten violence

Don’t think that qualifies as inciting or threatening violence, but it’s a pretty moronic thing for him or anyone for that matter to say.

I don’t at all agree or like what he said, but we should want to limit governmental controls as much as possible, even with hate speech. There’s a consequence to freedom though, no doubt about it.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:42 pm    Post subject:

NYT: Deutsche Bank knew Trump lied about his wealth in attempt to buy the Buffalo Bills in 2014. And even though he defaulted on another earlier loan in 2004, they still decided to lend him more money in 2014.

None of this is a surprise, but it's nice to have some confirmation. There's probably more things to come. As one expert said, the worst case scenario for Trump and one that is fairly realistic, as far as the state of New York is concerned, is that the Trump Organization gets dissolved by the state.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/18/business/trump-deutsche-bank.html
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:52 pm    Post subject:

Federal Authorities Raided Trump Fundraiser’s Office in Money Laundering Probe
A sealed search warrant obtained by ProPublica shows federal agents scoured Elliott Broidy’s office for documents related to China, Saudi Arabia and a Miami Beach club promoter.
by Robert Faturechi and Justin Elliott March 18, 5 a.m. EDT

Quote:
Broidy served as a major Trump campaign fundraiser and was the national deputy finance chair of the Republican National Committee until he resigned in April 2018, when it was revealed he had agreed to secretly pay off a former Playboy model in exchange for her silence about their affair.

I'm starting to wonder if in the future the Film Thread will use this thread as reference for the movies coming out about the trump affairs

wonder if they will waste time on something as small as the Epstein-Acosta affair

EPSTEIN-ACOSTA DEAL WAS EVEN SWEETER THAN WE THOUGHT
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:56 pm    Post subject:

Bill Maher keeps saying Trump won't leave office peacefully if and when he's defeated. Trump says things like he has the support of the military, bikers, tough people. I wonder if he thinks those people will participate in a coup? I wonder if he's foolish enough to believe they will?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:58 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Bill Maher keeps saying Trump won't leave office peacefully if and when he's defeated. Trump says things like he has the support of the military, bikers, tough people. I wonder if he thinks those people will participate in a coup? I wonder if he's foolish enough to believe they will?

More importantly . . . why are you watching Bill Maher?
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:36 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I like his brand of political satire.

governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:20 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:

What's wrong with Bill Maher, he's funny. John Oliver I think tops the cake. Trevor Noah somewhat disappoint me, maybe too used to Stewart (shoulda do a completely new format) and I miss watching Colbert, the satirist

But yeah, I think he can rile people up to a coup or violence. We've seen it without him directly telling them
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:59 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:

What's wrong with Bill Maher, he's funny. John Oliver I think tops the cake. Trevor Noah somewhat disappoint me, maybe too used to Stewart (shoulda do a completely new format) and I miss watching Colbert, the satirist

But yeah, I think he can rile people up to a coup or violence. We've seen it without him directly telling them

Bill Maher can be overbearing at times, but I love his humor. And he criticizes both sides, of course more the right because they are begging to be criticized.
And I don't have to agree with all of his ideas. He was wrong about Stan Lee and comics, but I was with him and Sam Harris when they went at Ben Afleck.
He's an atheist and a pothead, so he gets my vote.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:37 am    Post subject:

Buck32 wrote:
governator wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Bill Maher can be overbearing at times, but I love his humor. And he criticizes both sides, of course more the right because they are begging to be criticized.
And I don't have to agree with all of his ideas. He was wrong about Stan Lee and comics, but I was with him and Sam Harris when they went at Ben Afleck.

I’m not even a modern day lefty, and I enjoy Bill Maher. He’s not entirely tribal, and he has no qualms going after some of the extremism and ridiculousness that sometimes occurs on the left.

Also, I think there is a brand of left wing libertarianism that is small, but one i identify with more and I feel like he is in that camp. It’s that hippie/skateboarder, leave me alone, I just want to ride my skateboard and smoke pot kind of thing. (I don’t skate nor smoke pot fwwi lol)

I also really appreciate that he is one of the few that welcomes conservatives on the show for debate.
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:43 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Buck32 wrote:
governator wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I’m not even a modern day lefty, and I enjoy Bill Maher. He’s not entirely tribal, and he has no qualms going after some of the extremism and ridiculousness that sometimes occurs on the left.

Also, I think there is a brand of left wing libertarianism that is small, but one i identify with more and I feel like he is in that camp. It’s that hippie/skateboarder, leave me alone, I just want to ride my skateboard and smoke pot kind of thing. (I don’t skate nor smoke pot fwwi lol)

I also really appreciate that he is one of the few that welcomes conservatives on the show for debate.

Agreed. He is also against censorship on the left which is increasingly becoming an issue. (Never thought I’d see that.)
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:48 am    Post subject:

How, Since Reagan, Republican Administrations Always Lead To An Economic Meltdown--in 10 Easy Steps

Step 1: Republicans get into power and then cut taxes as much as possible on the rich and big corporations.

Step 2: Republicans brag about how the economy has improved on essentially borrowed money since reduced tax income means that more money must be borrowed to offset the loss in taxes. Interest will then have to be paid on that borrowed money for a long, long time, thus reducing the ability of the government to invest in people and programs.

Steps 3 through 10
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:11 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

Bill used to call himself a libertarian, that is before Republicans bogarted the term. He was what many called themselves back in the day, a civil libertarian: one who doesn't want government micromanaging the everyday aspects of the people that doesn't directly impact others. Republicans have since popularized the term libertarian to include businesses, and aspects that do directly impact others, but with large businesses, it is not fighting against the big guy's power over the little guy, but maintaining and supporting the big guy's power over the little guy. What they fail to understand is that businesses also have great power and can ignore the interests of the people when it comes to the environment, workers, and consumers.

The second part of this modern day libertarian phenomena has to do with guns. Conservative libertarians believe there should be little or no regulation when it comes to guns, even though reckless or negligent behavior with a gun can directly impact another or others. Furthermore this impact can be magnified by fighting gun show loopholes, which can further impact the authorities' ability to solve gun related crimes.

Lastly, the biggest hole in these "freedom" issues we hear so much about is that these same libertarian freedom loving conservatives do not believe a woman has the freedom to manage her own body.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:24 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:

You mean other than being an arrogant, smug, condescending, (bleep), mean-spirited douchebag?

I used enjoy his show, but in recent years he's become such a needlessly snarky blowhard that any meaningful intelligent discussion gets buried in his grandstanding and the rare moments of genuine humor just aren't worth it. There are too many others that do what he tries to do but are much more clever, enjoyable and truly funny.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:45 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
governator wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:

You mean other than being an arrogant, smug, condescending, (bleep), mean-spirited douchebag?

I used enjoy his show, but in recent years he's become such a needlessly snarky blowhard that any meaningful intelligent discussion gets buried in his grandstanding and the rare moments of genuine humor just aren't worth it. There are too many others that do what he tries to do but are much more clever, enjoyable and truly funny.

My daughter feels much the same way as do you, and I will disagree with the both of ya's. Of course you can do what she does and not watch the show.

As for those others, I don't find anyone else consistently better at providing political humor. Stewart was the king and Colbert was a close second, but Maher's in the league with John Oliver and Trevor Noah, though I watch him more often (he has truly great shows about once, maybe twice, a month that are must see), and his show is much better than Samantha Bee's.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:51 am    Post subject:

For me, Maher is in Late Letterman mode. Not having as much fun with it anymore, but still knows how to do the thing by heart, and he has some really good writers and guests.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:56 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
governator wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:

My daughter feels much the same way as do you, and I will disagree with the both of ya's. Of course you can do what she does and not watch the show.

As for those others, I don't find anyone else consistently better at providing political humor. Stewart was the king and Colbert was a close second, but Maher's in the league with John Oliver and Trevor Noah, though I watch him more often (he has truly great shows about once, maybe twice, a month that are must see), and his show is much better than Samantha Bee's.

The core of the "others" I was referring to. Oliver and Noah are entertaining and intelligent without the "(bleep) you, I'm so much smarter than everyone else" BS that consumes Maher. To sum it up those guys are truly clever where as Maher is all about projecting "look how clever I am".
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:19 am    Post subject:

Is this going to be a problem for Beto?

Quote:
"Are you for third-trimester abortions?" an attendee of the campaign event in Cleveland asked O'Rourke, before describing the medical alternatives to such a procedure and disputing the medical necessity of late-term abortions. "Are you going to protect the lives of third-trimester babies? ... Are you for or against third-trimester abortions?"

O'Rourke responded: "The question is about abortion and reproductive rights. And, my answer to you is, that should be a decision the woman makes. I trust her."

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/beto-orourke-seemingly-endorses-third-trimester-abortions-that-should-be-a-decision-the-woman-makes
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:24 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ribeye wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
governator wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:

The core of the "others" I was referring to. Oliver and Noah are entertaining and intelligent without the "(bleep) you, I'm so much smarter than everyone else" BS that consumes Maher. To sum it up those guys are truly clever where as Maher is all about projecting "look how clever I am".

I like Bill but in short doses...he's getting too grouchy/pushy for me.

I like Seth Meyers but I don't watch any of them regularly

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:25 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:

Quote:
"Are you for third-trimester abortions?" an attendee of the campaign event in Cleveland asked O'Rourke, before describing the medical alternatives to such a procedure and disputing the medical necessity of late-term abortions. "Are you going to protect the lives of third-trimester babies? ... Are you for or against third-trimester abortions?"

O'Rourke responded: "The question is about abortion and reproductive rights. And, my answer to you is, that should be a decision the woman makes. I trust her."

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/beto-orourke-seemingly-endorses-third-trimester-abortions-that-should-be-a-decision-the-woman-makes

Only with those who already have a problem with him.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:32 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ribeye wrote:

Quote:

Only with those who already have a problem with him.

How about the Independents or moderates who barely know him?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1425, 1426, 1427 ... 3668, 3669, 3670  Next
Page 1426 of 3670
Jump to: