THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1426, 1427, 1428 ... 3670, 3671, 3672  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:35 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ribeye wrote:
Is this going to be a problem for Beto?

Quote:
"Are you for third-trimester abortions?" an attendee of the campaign event in Cleveland asked O'Rourke, before describing the medical alternatives to such a procedure and disputing the medical necessity of late-term abortions. "Are you going to protect the lives of third-trimester babies? ... Are you for or against third-trimester abortions?"

O'Rourke responded: "The question is about abortion and reproductive rights. And, my answer to you is, that should be a decision the woman makes. I trust her."

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/beto-orourke-seemingly-endorses-third-trimester-abortions-that-should-be-a-decision-the-woman-makes

Only with those who already have a problem with him.

How about the Independents or moderates who barely know him?

Do you think Indy's or moderates are anti-choice?
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:37 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
ribeye wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ribeye wrote:

Quote:
"Are you for third-trimester abortions?" an attendee of the campaign event in Cleveland asked O'Rourke, before describing the medical alternatives to such a procedure and disputing the medical necessity of late-term abortions. "Are you going to protect the lives of third-trimester babies? ... Are you for or against third-trimester abortions?"

O'Rourke responded: "The question is about abortion and reproductive rights. And, my answer to you is, that should be a decision the woman makes. I trust her."

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/beto-orourke-seemingly-endorses-third-trimester-abortions-that-should-be-a-decision-the-woman-makes

maybe regulated abortion? like beyond 24 weeks gestation (which fetus can survive outside wombs) only to protect life of mother or if severely abnormal fetus? Is 24 weeks enough time to find out you're pregnant and make an informed decision?

prob separate topic discussion specifically for abortion

But no, won't effect Beto. It's a crafted leftish answer
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:42 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ribeye wrote:

Quote:

It’s a very politically un-savvy answer to an inflammatory question. I think it will be a problem, not necessarily what he answered, but how he answered it.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:53 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
vanexelent wrote:

maybe regulated abortion? like beyond 24 weeks gestation (which fetus can survive outside wombs) only to protect life of mother or if severely abnormal fetus? Is 24 weeks enough time to find out you're pregnant and make an informed decision?

Some testing for genetic defects aren't done until 10-13 weeks into pregnancy. So that's 10-14 weeks really, as far as having to make an informed choice.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:56 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:

Quote:

that has always been my view of abortion...
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:58 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
ribeye wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ribeye wrote:

Quote:

I crafted it for myself 50 years ago...
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:06 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
governator wrote:
vanexelent wrote:

Some testing for genetic defects aren't done until 10-13 weeks into pregnancy. So that's 10-14 weeks really, as far as having to make an informed choice.

yeah, 24 weeks seems to be adequate time for me but I'm a man, we need women's opinion
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:08 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ribeye wrote:

Quote:

I don't think either are generally opposed to the comment about reproductive rights.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:09 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
ribeye wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ribeye wrote:

Quote:

Exactly.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:10 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
ribeye wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ribeye wrote:

Quote:

I think, and polling suggests, that most Americans are against third trimester abortions in most instances.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:12 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
ribeye wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ribeye wrote:

Quote:

I think, and polling suggests, that most Americans are against third trimester abortions in most instances.

He didn't directly endorse that . . . and define "most instances". You make it sound like women are just going out and having third trimester abortions as a routine.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:18 am    Post subject:

Yup -- false dichotomy. Paint it as a black-or-white question, and if you don't say "white," everyone can claim you say "black."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:22 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ribeye wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
ribeye wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ribeye wrote:

Quote:

He didn't directly endorse that . . . and define "most instances". You make it sound like women are just going out and having third trimester abortions as a routine.

C'mon, you know how this will play. It is not what I think but what moderates think and how conservatives will blow this up to become infanticide to help influence them.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:26 am    Post subject:

Case in point:

Beto O’Rourke on Third-Trimester Abortions: Should be Decision the Woman Makes

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2019/03/18/beto-orourke-on-third-trimester-abortions-should-be-decision-the-woman-makes/
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:35 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
Case in point:

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2019/03/18/beto-orourke-on-third-trimester-abortions-should-be-decision-the-woman-makes/

Brietbart . . . like I said, only with people who would have a problem with him no matter what he said.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:36 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ribeye wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
ribeye wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ribeye wrote:

Quote:

C'mon, you know how this will play. It is not what I think but what moderates think and how conservatives will blow this up to become infanticide to help influence them.

See above
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ribeye wrote:
Case in point:

Brietbart . . . like I said, only with people who would have a problem with him no matter what he said.

You think that this ends with Breitbart? You must not watch conservatives much on CNN, Bill Maher, or elsewhere, or listen to much AM radio, with conservative upon conservative upon conservative, or (and I must admit I'm not talking from experience on this point, but what I've heard or read), in much of the social media such as Facebook. These guys are masters at spreading propaganda, and give 'em an inch, they will turn it into a mile.

Any bets against that this will be on most of the cable news tonight?
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:00 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ribeye wrote:
Case in point:

You think that this ends with Breitbart? You must not watch conservatives much on CNN, Bill Maher, or elsewhere, or listen to much AM radio, with conservative upon conservative upon conservative, or (and I must admit I'm not talking from experience on this point, but what I've heard or read), in much of the social media such as Facebook. These guys are masters at spreading propaganda, and give 'em an inch, they will turn it into a mile.

But how will that hurt Beto, or any Democrat? Republicans always frame Dems as being socialist baby-killers. Beto saying he's not in favor of putting restrictions on a woman's right to choose isn't ground breaking.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:05 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
Case in point:

Unless the Mullahs and Imams have their wish

America, "Home of the Free"

Might be lots and lots of freedom OF Religion
But not freedom FROM Religion

Does that need to be added to our bill of rights?
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:07 am    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
ribeye wrote:
Case in point:

Unless the Mullahs and Imams have their wish

America, "Home of the Free"

Might be lots and lots of freedom OF Religion
But not freedom FROM Religion

Does that need to be added to our bill of rights?

I think there's plenty of secular people on both side of political spectrum that do feel there's a room for honest discussion regarding late-term elective abortion
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:17 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ribeye wrote:
Case in point:

You didn't ask whether it will get talked about. That much is obvious. You asked whether it will hurt. It's not going to hurt him since the only people who will care are those who would never be for him in the first place.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:32 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ribeye wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ribeye wrote:
Case in point:

You didn't ask whether it will get talked about. That much is obvious. You asked whether it will hurt. It's not going to hurt him since the only people who will care are those who would never be for him in the first place.

There is a better way to answer the question, such as, I'm against late term abortions except when a woman's health is at issue.

I think a significant number of voters don't make up their minds until the last week or so. Will this particular issue have an effect? You seem to have your mind made up that this issue will not have an effect, and I don't know, but I worry as I don't like giving Trump ammo.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:38 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

There is a better way to answer the question, such as, I'm against late term abortions except when a woman's health is at issue.

I think a significant number of voters don't make up their minds until the last week or so. Will this particular issue have an effect?

Honestly not trying to be argumentative here, but how is not answering q question perfectly a year and a half before that going to be an issue for him? There's plenty of time to clarify over the next 18 months.

Quote:
You seem to have your mind made up that this issue will not have an effect, and I don't know, but I worry as I don't like giving Trump ammo.

I haven't so much made my mind up about anything as much as I just don't think the brief exchange you posted is going to significantly sway anyone against him who wasn't likely inclined to be against him anyway.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:00 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

I’m not even a modern day lefty, and I enjoy Bill Maher. He’s not entirely tribal, and he has no qualms going after some of the extremism and ridiculousness that sometimes occurs on the left.

Also, I think there is a brand of left wing libertarianism that is small, but one i identify with more and I feel like he is in that camp. It’s that hippie/skateboarder, leave me alone, I just want to ride my skateboard and smoke pot kind of thing. (I don’t skate nor smoke pot fwwi lol)

I also really appreciate that he is one of the few that welcomes conservatives on the show for debate.

Bill used to call himself a libertarian, that is before Republicans bogarted the term. He was what many called themselves back in the day, a civil libertarian: one who doesn't want government micromanaging the everyday aspects of the people that doesn't directly impact others. Republicans have since popularized the term libertarian to include businesses, and aspects that do directly impact others, but with large businesses, it is not fighting against the big guy's power over the little guy, but maintaining and supporting the big guy's power over the little guy. What they fail to understand is that businesses also have great power and can ignore the interests of the people when it comes to the environment, workers, and consumers.

The second part of this modern day libertarian phenomena has to do with guns. Conservative libertarians believe there should be little or no regulation when it comes to guns, even though reckless or negligent behavior with a gun can directly impact another or others. Furthermore this impact can be magnified by fighting gun show loopholes, which can further impact the authorities' ability to solve gun related crimes.

Lastly, the biggest hole in these "freedom" issues we hear so much about is that these same libertarian freedom loving conservatives do not believe a woman has the freedom to manage her own body.

Yeah, Maher is probably more of a classic liberal, not the way it is defined today though. I agree that many conservatives tend to be TOO free market while today's leftists tend to be TOO much in favor of governmental oversight. That's one of the problems we have today. The majority of the loudest voices are speaking in the extremes and I really wish they wouldn't. I firmly believe that the best economic system is a capitalistic one, with some controls and regulations in place where necessary.

On your last point about abortion, I disagree. I run in a circle with a bunch of libertarian types (some left, mostly center-right) and of those that are opposed to abortion, it has nothing to do with women's right to manage her own body. That's how the left has painted that picture, but it isn't accurate IMO. Most of them don't really care if a woman wants to get plastic surgery done, get tattoos, cut off her own arm, or sew her elbows together.

The only thing they care about is the life inside. Now, I don't want to get into a debate of what is life, the point is, they don't care what a woman does with her body, they only care about what a man or a woman does with another person's body (that other person being the person inside).
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:41 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

On your last point about abortion, I disagree. I run in a circle with a bunch of libertarian types (some left, mostly center-right) and of those that are opposed to abortion, it has nothing to do with women's right to manage her own body. That's how the left has painted that picture, but it isn't accurate IMO. Most of them don't really care if a woman wants to get plastic surgery done, get tattoos, cut off her own arm, or sew her elbows together.

The only thing they care about is the life inside. Now, I don't want to get into a debate of what is life, the point is, they don't care what a woman does with her body, they only care about what a man or a woman does with another person's body (that other person being the person inside).

Except you can't separate the life growing inside a woman's body from the woman's body. That's not how it goes. If you control one aspect of it, you can control it all.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1426, 1427, 1428 ... 3670, 3671, 3672  Next
Page 1427 of 3672
Jump to: