THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1432, 1433, 1434 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:13 pm    Post subject:

Random question for you guys, but someone at work mentioned that social security is expected to run out by 2034.

Just trying to figure out if true, how this is possible. If I stick a bunch of money in the bank, it would in theory never be less than whatever amount I put in.

So taking it back to social security, how can the money we have put in, to be paid back to us, not be there?
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:13 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
Moving on from Enemy Number 1C, must never forget Enemy Number IB:

Per Ari Fleischer:

Quote:
The Iraq war began sixteen years ago tomorrow. There is a myth about the war that I have been meaning to set straight for years. After no WMDs were found, the left claimed "Bush lied. People died." This accusation itself is a lie. It's time to put it to rest.

Vox (one of only many sites that) lists some of the instances where Bush and/or his administration, either lied or made unsupportable false statements such as:

Quote:
In August 2002, Cheney declared, “Simply stated, there’s no doubt that Saddam Hussein now has weapons of mass destruction.”

Though Trump is a total trump, we must never forget that he did not originate what has become standard operating procedure for his party that seems to require its membership to lie, obfuscate, misrepresent, or make specious statements for the benefit of the party and at the expense of the country, the American people, and people throughout the world.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/3/20/18274228/ari-fleischer-iraq-lies-george-w-bush-wmds

started long before bush and cheney
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:14 pm    Post subject:

It will not be able to fully fund somewhere around that time. Last I checked, they would only be able to fund something like 80%.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:15 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Random question for you guys, but someone at work mentioned that social security is expected to run out by 2034.

Just trying to figure out if true, how this is possible. If I stick a bunch of money in the bank, it would in theory never be less than whatever amount I put in.

So taking it back to social security, how can the money we have put in, to be paid back to us, not be there?

if we let the republicans spend it all on the military...
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:16 pm    Post subject:

VicXLakers wrote:
ribeye wrote:
Moving on from Enemy Number 1C, must never forget Enemy Number IB:

Per Ari Fleischer:

Quote:
The Iraq war began sixteen years ago tomorrow. There is a myth about the war that I have been meaning to set straight for years. After no WMDs were found, the left claimed "Bush lied. People died." This accusation itself is a lie. It's time to put it to rest.

Vox (one of only many sites that) lists some of the instances where Bush and/or his administration, either lied or made unsupportable false statements such as:

Quote:
In August 2002, Cheney declared, “Simply stated, there’s no doubt that Saddam Hussein now has weapons of mass destruction.”

Though Trump is a total trump, we must never forget that he did not originate what has become standard operating procedure for his party that seems to require its membership to lie, obfuscate, misrepresent, or make specious statements for the benefit of the party and at the expense of the country, the American people, and people throughout the world.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/3/20/18274228/ari-fleischer-iraq-lies-george-w-bush-wmds

started long before bush and cheney

Well, there is Public Enemy Number 1A, you know, Saint Reagan.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:18 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
It will not be able to fully fund somewhere around that time. Last I checked, they would only be able to fund something like 80%.

Thanks. Why is that? Like, if I put $1,000 per year under my mattress for 40 years, there should be at least $40,000 in there for me.

Why would there only be $32,000? I mean, obviously it means I spent the $8K difference but what exactly are they buying with the money?
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:19 pm    Post subject:

VicXLakers wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

And, Social Security pays widows and the disabled.
realking24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:19 pm    Post subject:

VicXLakers wrote:
governator wrote:
realking24 wrote:

the president
America is thriving!
I used to not like him but the more I looked into and research for myself i didn’t find what the press was feeding me.
millions of dollars wasted on Fake Russia collusion is just 1 example out of so many.

can we get some facts?

translated from Russian to English and then back into Russian

https://thehill.com/opinion/campaign/435029-as-russia-collusion-fades-ukrainian-plot-to-help-clinton-emerges
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:21 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
ribeye wrote:

Thanks. Why is that? Like, if I put $1,000 per year under my mattress for 40 years, there should be at least $40,000 in there for me.

Why would there only be $32,000? I mean, obviously it means I spent the $8K difference but what exactly are they buying with the money?

Besides paying widows and the disabled, people are living longer, so the payments have increased substantially and the demographics are changing, meaning specifically, though not limited to, we are having fewer children.

Last edited by ribeye on Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:21 pm    Post subject:

VicXLakers wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

So my feeling is that money, at the very least the principal, should not be touched for ANY reason. If people can just spend it on whatever they want, why even have social security at all? Just include it in my taxes.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:22 pm    Post subject:

realking24 wrote:
Wow what an Echo chamber!

Look here pops, you marked yourself with almost every bottom-drawer parrot line there ever was. Anti-vax, echo chamber, fake news. lol echo chamber or not, not even the hardest wingnut conservative facebook group would send you out as representative of their best of breed. Stop now. Don't waste anyone's time with this bull (bleep).
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:24 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
ribeye wrote:

Besides paying widows and the disabled, people are living longer, so the payments have increased substantially and the demographics are changing, meaning specifically, though not limited to, we are having fewer children.

Got it. Thanks. So it’s not $1 in, $1 out.

I never looked into this stuff. Assumed it was like a governmental 401K where like I have to put X in and later I can get that principal plus any interest back out once I hit a certain age.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:26 pm    Post subject:

realking24 wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:
governator wrote:
realking24 wrote:

the president
America is thriving!
I used to not like him but the more I looked into and research for myself i didn’t find what the press was feeding me.
millions of dollars wasted on Fake Russia collusion is just 1 example out of so many.

can we get some facts?

https://thehill.com/opinion/campaign/435029-as-russia-collusion-fades-ukrainian-plot-to-help-clinton-emerges

a member of trump's idiot nation...Russer are you listening
realking24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:27 pm    Post subject:

Thought it was common knowledge that the media has been manipulating information to fit the narrative that their selling? What happened to the whole Russia collusion that Trump was getting votes from Russia to help him win???? Are you guys really in this much denial?
realking24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:28 pm    Post subject:

VicXLakers wrote:
realking24 wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:
governator wrote:
realking24 wrote:

the president
America is thriving!

can we get some facts?

It’s hard to get real facts at the other networks!
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:28 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

So my feeling is that money, at the very least the principal, should not be touched for ANY reason. If people can just spend it on whatever they want, why even have social security at all? Just include it in my taxes.

everyone that is not a republican agrees
realking24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:29 pm    Post subject:

[quote="realking24"]
VicXLakers wrote:
realking24 wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:
governator wrote:
realking24 wrote:

the president
America is thriving!

can we get some facts?

Did you read it? What’s wrong with what was said?
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:29 pm    Post subject:

realking24 wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:
realking24 wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:
governator wrote:
realking24 wrote:

the president
America is thriving!

can we get some facts?

It’s hard to get real facts at the other networks!

really dude...switch the channel fox is fake news
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:31 pm    Post subject:

realking24 wrote:
Thought it was common knowledge that the media has been manipulating information to fit the narrative that their selling? What happened to the whole Russia collusion that Trump was getting votes from Russia to help him win???? Are you guys really in this much denial?

you certainly are
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:34 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
ribeye wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
ribeye wrote:

I never looked into this stuff. Assumed it was like a governmental 401K where like I have to put X in and later I can get that principal plus any interest back out once I hit a certain age.

It depends, but generally speaking, most do not get out what they put in because it goes out to non paying sources. Some die and get nothing. Others, who live to be 90 or more, probably get more back.

If it is all, and only, about you, you are probably a Republican and angry about it. If you accept that widows and the disabled are funded from Social Security, then you accept that everything is not just about me (or you).
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:34 pm    Post subject:

[quote="realking24"]
realking24 wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:
realking24 wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:
governator wrote:
realking24 wrote:

the president
America is thriving!

can we get some facts?

I stopped right here...

Quote:
Ukraine’s top prosecutor divulged in an interview aired Wednesday on Hill.TV that he has opened an investigation

I live in Nevada
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:38 pm    Post subject:

realking24 wrote:

You are welcomed to provide examples and evidence to support just what the media is manipulating.

And by the way, who said Trump was getting votes from Russia? Is that translator gizmo acting up again?
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:40 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
realking24 wrote:

You are welcomed to provide examples and evidence to support just what the media is manipulating.

And by the way, who said Trump was getting votes from Russia? Is that translator gizmo acting up again?

who said no collusion besides the liar in chief ...must be hiding it in the fox chamber
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:45 pm    Post subject:

[quote="realking24"]
realking24 wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:
realking24 wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:
governator wrote:
realking24 wrote:

the president
America is thriving!

can we get some facts?

Having a bad time of it?

Here, this outta brighten your day
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:46 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
ribeye wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
ribeye wrote:

It depends, but generally speaking, most do not get out what they put in because it goes out to non paying sources. Some die and get nothing. Others, who live to be 90 or more, probably get more back.

If it is all, and only, about you, you are probably a Republican and angry about it. If you accept that widows and the disabled are funded from Social Security, then you accept that everything is not just about me (or you).

Well, you’re right. Some ppl die get nothing but put in a lot. And others, they live longer and take out more than they put in. So if you set up your models right, there should still be money available for all, no?

The only way it fails is if the model is wrong and you pay out too much and don’t take enough in.

I don’t get your last part. Presumably, I will be old, a widow, or disabled at some point too. Or maybe what you’re saying is that when I pay social security, I am not paying in to it for me, I am paying into it, effectively, for everyone other than me.

That probably explains why I didn’t understand how we could run out. I never looked into this stuff, and had thought my social security payments were being made to secure my future well being.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1432, 1433, 1434 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next
Page 1433 of 3663
Jump to: