THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1534, 1535, 1536 ... 3668, 3669, 3670  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 6:11 am    Post subject:

Yeah, The African American community is solid democrat, not solid left/progressive. I think there's actually a large number of conservative african americans (especially religious ones)... I have no factual number. Actually same with newer immigrants (Asians), I would assume more conservative but vote more democrat. GOP's racism plays a big role
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 6:53 am    Post subject:

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/trump-says-u-farmers-15-190027436.html

Trump using China's own tactic in the trade war, subsidizing... On one hand I hate this 'corporate' welfare but on the other hand, I love seeing the Chinese get a taste of their own medicine
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 7:02 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:

Trump using China's own tactic in the trade war, subsidizing... On one hand I hate this 'corporate' welfare but on the other hand, I love seeing the Chinese get a taste of their own medicine

Soooo. Will Farmers need to be drug tested to receive their welfare checks?
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 7:25 am    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
governator wrote:

Soooo. Will Farmers need to be drug tested to receive their welfare checks?

Why not, make it a criteria. I'll let you come up with whom to test for corporation
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 7:38 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:

trump using tax dollars to buy votes...an old republican tactic

'Do as we say NOT as we do'
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 8:05 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Ruby Cramer Verified account @rubycramer

Elizabeth Warren has turned down an offer to hold a Fox News town hall. The news channel is a "hate-for-profit racket" that provides "cover," she says, for the very thing she's campaigning against: "corruption that’s rotting our government and hollowing out our middle class."

Quote:
Elizabeth Warren Verified account @ewarren

I love town halls. I’ve done more than 70 since January, and I’m glad to have a television audience be a part of them. Fox News has invited me to do a town hall, but I’m turning them down—here’s why...

Fox News is a hate-for-profit racket that gives a megaphone to racists and conspiracists—it’s designed to turn us against each other, risking life and death consequences, to provide cover for the corruption that’s rotting our government and hollowing out our middle class.

Hate-for-profit works only if there’s profit, so Fox News balances a mix of bigotry, racism, and outright lies with enough legit journalism to make the claim to advertisers that it’s a reputable news outlet. It’s all about dragging in ad money—big ad money.

But Fox News is struggling as more and more advertisers pull out of their hate-filled space. A Democratic town hall gives the Fox News sales team a way to tell potential sponsors it's safe to buy ads on Fox—no harm to their brand or reputation (spoiler: It’s not).

Here’s one place we can fight back: I won’t ask millions of Democratic primary voters to tune into an outlet that profits from racism and hate in order to see our candidates—especially when Fox will make even more money adding our valuable audience to their ratings numbers.

I’m running a campaign to reach all Americans. I take questions from the press and voters everywhere I go. I’ve already held town halls in 17 states and Puerto Rico—including WV, OH, GA, UT, TN, TX, CO, MS & AL.

I’ve done 57 media avails and 131 interviews, taking over 1,100 questions from press just since January. Fox News is welcome to come to my events just like any other outlet. But a Fox News town hall adds money to the hate-for-profit machine. To which I say: hard pass.

I love that she just bluntly spells it all out.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 8:27 am    Post subject:

Ford Prepares for Mass Layoffs After Losing $1 Billion to Trump's Trade Tariffs, Report Says

Quote:
Ford is having a bad year in 2018. Its stock is down 29%, and the tariffs imposed by President Trump have reportedly cost the company $1 billion, as the company is in the midst of a reorganization. Now, the company is announcing layoffs.

Jim Hackett, Ford’s CEO, is working to engineer a $25.5 billion restructuring of the automaker, hoping to cut costs and remain competitive, the Wall Street Journal reports. But auto sales are down, and one reason is the trade tariffs that Trump has imposed on metals and other goods. According to Bloomberg, Hackett has said they have already cost the company $1 billion in profit and could do “more damage” if the disputes aren’t resolved quickly.

Ford, the No. 2 U.S. automaker by sales, is making aggressive job cuts as part of that reorganization, NBC News reported. While the company hasn’t said how many jobs will be lost, a report from Morgan Stanley estimates “a global headcount reduction of approximately 12 percent,” or 24,000 of Ford’s 202,000 workers worldwide.”
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 8:54 am    Post subject:

White House reviews plan to deploy 120,000 troops to Middle East (Iran)

Quote:
Acting Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan last week presented the White House with a plan to send up to 120,000 troops to the Middle East in the event that Iran escalates tensions, according to a New York Times report.

The Times reports that national security adviser John Bolton issued an order for the plans and the proposal does not include a ground invasion, which would require many more troops.

The plan was ordered to prepare in the event that Iran attacks American forces or accelerates the development of nuclear weapons, according to the Times, citing administration officials.

It is largely driven by Bolton, who has pushed for more aggressive action against Iran under both Trump and former President George W. Bush.

We don't have a Secretary of Defense. We have an "acting" Secretary of Defense who is a (former) defense industry executive. This is how a president creates a unitary executive branch where he holds all the power, and where stupidity and bad decisions are free to run wild and unchecked with no regard for consequences, intended or otherwise.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 9:16 am    Post subject:

When your new plan is so reprehensible that even Kirstien Nielsen thinks it's a bad idea...

Washington Post: Before Trump’s purge at DHS, top officials challenged plan for mass family arrests

Quote:
In the weeks before they were ousted last month, Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen and top immigration enforcement official Ronald Vitiello challenged a secret White House plan to arrest thousands of parents and children in a blitz operation against migrants in 10 major U.S. cities.

According to seven current and former Department of Homeland Security officials, the administration wanted to target the crush of families that had crossed the U.S.-Mexico border after the president’s failed “zero tolerance” prosecution push in early 2018. The ultimate purpose, the officials said, was a show of force to send the message that the United States was going to get tough by swiftly moving to detain and deport recent immigrants — including families with children.

The sprawling operation included an effort to fast-track immigration court cases, allowing the government to obtain deportation orders against those who did not show for their hearings — officials said 90 percent of those targeted were found deportable in their absence. The subsequent arrests would have required coordinated raids against parents with children in their homes and neighborhoods.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 9:48 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Sahil Kapur Verified account @sahilkapur

In New Hampshire, Joe Biden predicts that once President Trump is out of office, Republicans will have “an epiphany” and work with Democrats toward consensus.

12:58 PM - 14 May 2019
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 9:52 am    Post subject:

Iran is total MAFIA action

Saudia Arabia the little kingdom that cried wolf. Murdering Kashoggi.. cutting him into little pieces andthen
Having

Trump and Kushner cover for them

Zero trust in these people

Republicans have truly become a party of terrorists.

Supporting Trump who is supporting Dictators all over the place.. best friends

Guarantee.. The first Innocent civilian killed in Iran by US Bombs will create worldwide terrorism against US Targets.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 12:23 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Quote:

In New Hampshire, Joe Biden predicts that once President Trump is out of office, Republicans will have “an epiphany” and work with Democrats toward consensus.

The old, "There's only one Hitler" theory. Pukes like Lindsey Graham will pull their faces out of Trump's ample buttocks and return to their former lives as garden variety Republican hacks. I'm for the adult party, but that's not to say that I wouldn't love for them to pay for all the stunts they got away with.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 1:31 pm    Post subject:

Is There a Connection Between Undocumented Immigrants and Crime?

The short answer: Nope.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 1:44 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Quote:

Once the debates begin I bet Biden will start losing % points.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 1:45 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Quote:

Lol. Did he say it with a straight face?
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 1:56 pm    Post subject:

Warren is growing on me. Specific, detailed policy proposals. Calling out the GOP's crap for what it is. The debates are coming soon and I will be intently watching.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 2:21 pm    Post subject:

Trump’s resistance to congressional oversight had a very bad day in court

Quote:
But the substance of the hearing was a disaster for Trump’s efforts to resist congressional subpoenas digging into his finances. At one point, Mehta warned that, under Trump lawyer William Consovoy’s sweeping legal theory, congressional investigations into Watergate would have been unconstitutional. At another, the judge suggested that Congress might have the inherent power to investigate the president in order to inform the public of potential misconduct.

Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 3:20 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Quote:

Elizabeth Warren has turned down an offer to hold a Fox News town hall. The news channel is a "hate-for-profit racket" that provides "cover," she says, for the very thing she's campaigning against: "corruption that’s rotting our government and hollowing out our middle class."

Quote:

I love town halls. I’ve done more than 70 since January, and I’m glad to have a television audience be a part of them. Fox News has invited me to do a town hall, but I’m turning them down—here’s why...

Fox News is a hate-for-profit racket that gives a megaphone to racists and conspiracists—it’s designed to turn us against each other, risking life and death consequences, to provide cover for the corruption that’s rotting our government and hollowing out our middle class.

Hate-for-profit works only if there’s profit, so Fox News balances a mix of bigotry, racism, and outright lies with enough legit journalism to make the claim to advertisers that it’s a reputable news outlet. It’s all about dragging in ad money—big ad money.

But Fox News is struggling as more and more advertisers pull out of their hate-filled space. A Democratic town hall gives the Fox News sales team a way to tell potential sponsors it's safe to buy ads on Fox—no harm to their brand or reputation (spoiler: It’s not).

Here’s one place we can fight back: I won’t ask millions of Democratic primary voters to tune into an outlet that profits from racism and hate in order to see our candidates—especially when Fox will make even more money adding our valuable audience to their ratings numbers.

I’m running a campaign to reach all Americans. I take questions from the press and voters everywhere I go. I’ve already held town halls in 17 states and Puerto Rico—including WV, OH, GA, UT, TN, TX, CO, MS & AL.

I’ve done 57 media avails and 131 interviews, taking over 1,100 questions from press just since January. Fox News is welcome to come to my events just like any other outlet. But a Fox News town hall adds money to the hate-for-profit machine. To which I say: hard pass.

That's an interesting take. It only works if you are doing tons of town halls in red states, which she is. I'm a big believer that whoever wins the Democratic nomination needs to communicate to people on the right in some meaningful way. We have to talk to each other! The reality is, 47% of conservatives cluster around one news channel: Fox News. (And 88% of "consistent conservatives" trust Fox News.)

Liberals cite a much wider swath of news outlets...conservatives would argue that's because all the other outlets are liberal.

Conservatives also express distrust in far more news outlets than Dems...24 out of 36 mainstream news outlets. So...one way or another, we have to talk to each other and sadly for America, Fox news is one of the only outlets that Conservatives actually trust.

All this data is from research done by Pew...it's an incredible piece of research about the state of political polarization and media habits in America: https://www.journalism.org/2014/10/21/political-polarization-media-habits/
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 4:11 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Quote:

Once the debates begin I bet Biden will start losing % points.

He should. He's really light on substance and his record is not where the party is headed. If his numbers hold, I bet the party will pair him with Warren or Harris.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 4:27 pm    Post subject:

The Real Story On The Biden Quote
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 4:50 pm    Post subject:

I wouldn't describe Biden as progressive. And I think progressive policy helped us in 2018.
But if the party wants to move further left. Dem voters will have to prove it in the primary. I'm happy no matter who wins. Anybody but Trump is the motto.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 6:32 pm    Post subject:

Millenials, and every age group demographic deserting Bernies and running towards Biden in droves. African Americans solidly behind Biden and support strengthening with each new poll.

Quote:
Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) has seen his support drop sharply among the young voters that have powered his rise in Democratic politics, according to a new poll.

The survey from Morning Consult finds that Sanders’s support among people between the ages of 18 and 29 has dropped from 45 percent in March to 33 percent in May.

Sanders’s support with the youngest voters, who propelled his surprising challenge to then-Democratic contender Hillary Clinton in 2016, has steadily declined in the poll since topping out at 46 percent in late February.

Overall, former Vice President Joe Biden has opened up a big lead over the Democratic field, coming in at 39 percent support among Democratic primary voters polled, followed by Sanders at 19 percent and Sens. Elizabeth Warren (Mass.) and Kamala Harris (Calif.) at 8 percent each. South Bend, Ind., Mayor Pete Buttigieg is at 6 percent and former Rep. Beto O’Rourke (D-Texas) is at 5 percent.

Biden’s support among the youngest voter set has risen from less than 20 points last month to 24 percent in the latest survey. Warren has also seen an uptick among young voters, further contributing to Sanders’s decline.

Biden leads in every other age group and his margins grow the older the electorate gets.

The former vice president leads Sanders by 7 points among 30- to 44-year-olds, by 23 points among those between the ages of 45 and 54, by 31 points with those between 55 and 64 years of age, and he leads by 43 points among those over the age of 65.

Joe Viagra Showing More Staying Power
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 7:46 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

She is really great.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 7:47 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Quote:

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 9:41 pm    Post subject:

From CL's post.

Quote:

I'm glad to hear advertisers are pulling out. It's something I hoped would happen.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1534, 1535, 1536 ... 3668, 3669, 3670  Next
Page 1535 of 3670
Jump to: