THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1538, 1539, 1540 ... 3669, 3670, 3671  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 1:28 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Wonder how Alabama will treat fetuses who absorb their twin in utero.
With the new fetal heart beat law. They are murderers.

God Alabama is an embarrassment to our country.

As someone pointed out on Twitter, Alabama is dead last in education and 4th worst in infant mortality rate.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 1:28 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
If I become convinced (through continued polling and performance closer to the primaries) that Biden has an 80% certainty of beating Trump, and the next closest Democrat has only a 60% shot, I will be 100% on board the Biden train. I just think next February is a long way off.

You're right, it is. A lot can happen. Biden might look terrible at the debates, who knows. Maybe Warren's ideas and policy proposals look so sharp that she simply can't be denied. Maybe Harris looks as good at the debates as she does when she's grilling an overmatched Bill Barr. There's definitely a long way to go.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 1:29 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
If I become convinced (through continued polling and performance closer to the primaries) that Biden has an 80% certainty of beating Trump, and the next closest Democrat has only a 60% shot, I will be 100% on board the Biden train. I just think next February is a long way off.

That's eminently fair. I've taken the Indivisible Pledge and am trying to be supportive of all candidates within reason and concentrate on stamping out the divisive propaganda.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 1:32 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:

Same here. I don't dislike Biden. Just want to see how he does against the field before crowning him our nominee. Trump wasn't even officially running at this point in 2015. Obama was considered to have no chance at this point in 2007.

It'll be interesting to see how he does in Iowa. He struggled there in 2008. And whoever wins it will get a boost.

Last edited by kikanga on Thu May 16, 2019 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 1:45 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:
kikanga wrote:

just Alabama?

A Coordinated Attack on Roe v. Wade’: Missouri Senate Follows Suit, Passes Restrictive Abortion Bill
by Matt Naham | 10:21 am, May 16th, 2019

Missouri poised to join Alabama, Georgia as state senate passes near-total abortion ban

Don't forget to add Ohio to that list.

The idea here is to pass a broad menu of bills designed to allow the court to pick the one it wants to use to overturn Roe V Wade.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 1:52 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:

I do think your two choices, and my choice, will do very well in the debates. Well enough? Stay tuned.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 1:54 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:
kikanga wrote:

just Alabama?

A Coordinated Attack on Roe v. Wade’: Missouri Senate Follows Suit, Passes Restrictive Abortion Bill
by Matt Naham | 10:21 am, May 16th, 2019

Missouri poised to join Alabama, Georgia as state senate passes near-total abortion ban

Don't forget to add Ohio to that list.

The idea here is to pass a broad menu of bills designed to allow the court to pick the one it wants to use to overturn Roe V Wade.

chip . . . chip . . . chip . . . chip
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 2:04 pm    Post subject:

I heard Nancy Pelosi is hesitant on impeachment because she doesn't want to interfere with the 2020 elections. (Heard on The Beat With Ari Melber) I don't agree with her reasoning. Republicans are interfering at every turn.

I'm conflicted. On one hand I think "take the gloves off." On the other I think it will benefit Trump because he won't be removed from office and will have a "See there I told you, no collusion" talking point if collusion is in the impeachment filing.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 3:14 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Ukraine Prosecutor Says No Evidence of Wrongdoing by Bidens

Quote:
Ukraine’s prosecutor general said in an interview that he had no evidence of wrongdoing by U.S. Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden or his son, despite a swirl of allegations by President Donald Trump’s lawyer.

That's why the shameless jerk turned around and came back

Let's ask Ukraine if they have any dirt on The Big Unindictable

America better change their presidential protections

There are a lot of men even worse than trump
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 4:09 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
<snipped>
Quote:
You can speak to those people through your policy proposals and by meeting with them and expressing empathy for their personal stories (the way Elizabeth Warren and some others do).

But when you announce at every campaign stop, "Unlike the last campaign who ignored white working class America, I will be different and work for your vote!" what many black women and Clinton female voters hear is: "I'm a white male and I won't forget you the way Clinton did!"

Maybe Biden is the magic key to beating Trump. I don't know. I only know that it's not a guarantee. There's a general consensus in the media and the electorate that only Biden can beat Trump -- and that he will. That scares me because it reminds me of Clinton beating Trump in every poll. And then, oops.
Is Biden saying this or are you paraphrasing? I googled your quote and got nothing.

Also, you, of all people, should not forget: Hillary received nearly 3 million more votes than did Trump.

No, it wasn't Biden. I paraphrased sarcastically. There are a handful of candidates who have implied the above multiple times without saying Clinton's name. I intentionally didn't say who said it because I'm trying not to single out candidates for attack. Obviously I know she got more votes but I'm playing along (for the sake of discussion) with the conventional wisdom/meme that HRC "didn't do enough" in the swing states. I don't personally feel that way. (Was she supposed to have a crystal ball and know that Paul Manafort was giving internal polling data to the Russians so they could carpet bomb specific voters on Facebook scaring them off Clinton? Was she supposed to go to Wisconsin 15 times instead of 12 times? Was she supposed to magically wipe away the effect of Comey's October surprise?) But I digress.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 4:15 pm    Post subject:

Flynn provided details in Mueller's obstruction inquiry, new memo shows

Quote:
The defendant informed the government of multiple instances, both before and after his guilty plea, where either he or his attorneys received communications from persons connected to the Administration or Congress that could have affected both his willingness to cooperate and the completeness of that cooperation,” the filing states.

“The defendant even provided a voicemail recording of one such communication. In some of those instances, the SCO was unaware of the outreach until being alerted to it by the defendant,” the document continues.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 4:19 pm    Post subject:

VicXLakers wrote:

Quote:
The defendant informed the government of multiple instances, both before and after his guilty plea, where either he or his attorneys received communications from persons connected to the Administration or Congress that could have affected both his willingness to cooperate and the completeness of that cooperation,” the filing states.

“The defendant even provided a voicemail recording of one such communication. In some of those instances, the SCO was unaware of the outreach until being alerted to it by the defendant,” the document continues.

Congress should call him to testify:

Quote:
Mimi Rocah Verified account @Mimirocah1

Flynn is a full signed up cooperating witness whose agreement would require him to comply with all subpoenas. Even Barr can’t stop that.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 4:45 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

Yep, it's going to be overturned. Just a matter of time.
And that's how "Christian" Republicans will sleep well at night after voting for Trump.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 4:51 pm    Post subject:

Republicans are superior strategists. I have to give them their due.
Trump Jr. made a big fuss about his Republican-controlled Senate committee subpoena. Because Republicans will use it to (A) close all Russian interference investigations in the Senate and (B) argue there is no reason for Trump Jr. to testify to any Democratic-controlled House committee.

In some ways I wish we controlled the Senate more than the Presidency.

Last edited by kikanga on Thu May 16, 2019 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 5:06 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Johnny Verhovek Verified account @JTHVerhovek

FOX News 2020 Democratic primary poll (w/ change from March):

Biden: 35 (+4)
Sanders: 17 (-6)
Warren: 9 (+5)
Buttigieg: 6 (+5)
Harris: 5 (-3)
O'Rourke: 4 (-4)
Booker: 3 (-1)
Klobuchar: 2 (+1)
Castro: 2 (+1)
Delaney/Gabbard/Inslee/Ryan/Williamson/Yang: 1

Quote:
General election matchups polled:

Biden 49, Trump 38
Bernie 46, Trump 41
Harris 41, Trump 41
Warren 43, Trump 41
Buttigieg 40, Trump 41

If these are still the numbers next year half-way through primary voting, then you want the person with the +11 lead.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 5:54 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:

Quote:

Congress should call him to testify:

Quote:
Mimi Rocah Verified account @Mimirocah1

Flynn is a full signed up cooperating witness whose agreement would require him to comply with all subpoenas. Even Barr can’t stop that.

Rachel Maddow just read the court transcript. The judge ordered that the Mueller report must have anything related to Flynn UN-REDACTED, to be delivered to the judge and simultaneously RELEASED TO THE PUBLIC by Memorial Day.

Hey, Barr. Block that.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 6:43 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Heartburn wrote:
Also, the party needs to do a much better job of informing the electorate that the Senate and House elections matter as much as anything else. We're here because people like McConnell, Graham, McCain, Gym Jordan and the other nihilists are playing for themselves. That cartel needs to be broken up.

I wish some of the 25 presidential candidates who have no shot at winning the nomination would run for the Senate in their state instead. We need to take back the Senate with strong candidates. If we strategized as a party instead of as individuals, that would be the smarter long-term play.

Would've loved to see Beto run for Senate in 2020. I kinda understand how losing twice in a row (and Cornyn is a stronger incumbent than Cruz) would sour his political aspirations... but that's proof of where his priorities lie.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 7:17 pm    Post subject:

Hickenlooper in Colorado and Bullock in Montana are probably the strongest two potential Senate candidates with two possible pickups for the Dems. Hopefully both will be out of this presidential race early and can run for Senate. There's still plenty of time.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 7:48 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
Hickenlooper in Colorado and Bullock in Montana are probably the strongest two potential Senate candidates with two possible pickups for the Dems. Hopefully both will be out of this presidential race early and can run for Senate. There's still plenty of time.

Bullock has been very clear that he has no interest in becoming a legislator. He only desires an executive role and would preference remaining in an executive position in Montana should a run at the executive at the federal level fail. He's been clear that he won't be shamed into running for the Senate. In Montana, there isn't a great deal of difference between Democrats and Republicans, certainly nothing like we see at the federal level, and he isn't a party loyalist. So his running for Senate is nothing more than a DNC pipe dream. They need to move on because he's not interested in the Senate seat. And considering the reprehensible mess that is Washington, I can't say I blame him. I wouldn't want to sign up to be a part of the mess that is Congress either. And if your heart isn't in it,why put yourself through it?
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 8:45 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Yep, it's going to be overturned. Just a matter of time.
And that's how "Christian" Republicans will sleep well at night after voting for Trump.

On a brighter note, Pennsylvania voters at a town hall in an area that went for trump connected the dots between his Supreme Court choices and their loss of union rights. That’s ammunition in Michigan and Wisconsin too.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 8:59 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
Wilt wrote:

Bullock has been very clear that he has no interest in becoming a legislator. He only desires an executive role and would preference remaining in an executive position in Montana should a run at the executive at the federal level fail. He's been clear that he won't be shamed into running for the Senate. In Montana, there isn't a great deal of difference between Democrats and Republicans, certainly nothing like we see at the federal level, and he isn't a party loyalist. So his running for Senate is nothing more than a DNC pipe dream. They need to move on because he's not interested in the Senate seat. And considering the reprehensible mess that is Washington, I can't say I blame him. I wouldn't want to sign up to be a part of the mess that is Congress either. And if your heart isn't in it,why put yourself through it?

So you're telling me he is not interested?

I hope he changes his mind.
eddiejonze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 9:39 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
Wilt wrote:

The biggest one of all- Butigeig would win a senate seat in Indiana.
Abrams needs to rethink a senate run as well.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 11:11 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
Wilt wrote:

The DNC needs to understand that's it's 2019 and NO means NO. Attempted Date Rape is not OK. Just because he agrees to a date doesn't mean they get to have their way with him against his will...
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 4:12 am    Post subject:

How late can you change from presidential candidate for primary election to senate candidate? I’m sure all of them wanna see how things shake up after at least the 1st debate
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 5:25 am    Post subject:

This is what thoughtful leadership looks like. And she has a plan for that.

Quote:
Elizabeth Warren Verified account @ewarren

Right-wing lawmakers in Alabama just enacted the most extreme abortion ban in over 40 years, the latest in a wave of abortion bans across the country in states like Georgia, Kentucky, Mississippi, and Ohio. Republicans are on the march to overturn Roe v. Wade.

They’re hoping the Supreme Court will back their radical play, and it might work. Donald Trump packed the courts with extreme, anti-choice judges. Senate Republicans stole a SCOTUS seat & rammed through Justice Kavanaugh’s confirmation in order to cement an anti-choice majority.

Our next President can begin to undo some of the damage by appointing neutral and fair judges who actually respect the law and cases like Roe instead of right-wing ideologues bent on rolling back our rights. But Congress has a role to play as well.

We should pass new federal laws that protect access to reproductive care from right-wing ideologues in the states and ensure access to birth control and abortion care. Laws that will stand no matter what the Supreme Court does. Here’s what that looks like:

Congressional Action to Protect Choice

First, Congress should create federal, statutory rights that parallel Roe’s protections. We must prohibit states from interfering in the ability of a health professional to provide medical care—including abortion care—& from interfering in the ability of a patient to access care.

Popular new federal rights that parallel Roe would preempt state laws like the AL, GA, & OH bans. They'd end the political games played by right-wing courts to narrow Roe’s protections. And they'd ensure that choice remains the law—even if the Supreme Court overturns Roe.

Next, Congress should pass federal laws to preempt state efforts to pass Targeted Regulations on Abortion Providers (TRAP) laws, which are designed to functionally limit and eliminate women’s access to abortion care with medically-unnecessary restrictions.

Congress must guarantee reproductive health coverage as part of all health coverage. That starts with repealing the Hyde Amendment. Congress must also pass the EACH Woman Act, which would also prohibit abortion restrictions on private insurance.

Finally, we must ensure equal access to health care and support reproductive justice. Systemic barriers have made it especially difficult for low-income women and women of color to get the access to reproductive care they need.

And the women of color who have led the repro justice movement teach us that these issues are bigger than Roe. We must go beyond abortion to ensure access to contraception, STI prevention & care, sex ed, care for pregnant moms, safe home & work environments, good wages, & more.

When I was growing up, people still got abortions. Some were lucky—others weren't. They all went through hell. The overwhelming majority of Americans don’t want to return to that time. Congress should act to ensure that the will of the people remains the law of the land.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1538, 1539, 1540 ... 3669, 3670, 3671  Next
Page 1539 of 3671
Jump to: