THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1544, 1545, 1546 ... 3669, 3670, 3671  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 2:04 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
So what’s the play here with these state anti-abortion law? How are these laws can effect roe v wade? I understand conservative SC 5-4 or could be 6-3 if one of the older progressive justices step down for whatever reason but how is it legally can overturn an already SC decided case

LINK

Quote:
The Supreme Court can overrule itself. This happens when a different case involving the same constitutional issues as an earlier case is reviewed by the court and seen in a new light, typically because of changing social and political situations. The longer the amount of time between the cases, the more likely this is to occur (partly due to stare decisis).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 2:15 pm    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:

It’s absolutely about political expediency.

Nope. It's about the survival of that Constitution you speak of.

Quote:
If you are too worried about getting elected in 2020 to do what is right, then that’s what you are doing.

Voting Trump out in 2020 is the right thing to do. Unquestionably, undeniably. Impeachment is nothing more political theater at this point in time - and dangerous political theater at that.

Quote:
Nobody knows whether it will be good or bad for Democrats come 2020, there are legitimate arguments on both sides about the impact of opening up an investigation for impeachment.

The framers of the constitution created this mechanism specifically for this situation. The electorate gets to pass judgment on the President every four years, and we will do so regardless in 2020, but if you believe that the president is abusing his authority and undermining the democratic process, that his continued tenure in office poses a threat to the republic and that it can’t wait until the next election, then Impeachment is the mechanism to take care of it.

For people on either side of this argument, it comes down to how bad you think Trump is for America. Can it wait until the next election? If you think it can wait, then presumably you either think he isn’t sooooo bad that it requires immediate action...or you think he is that bad but you are too worried about the political ramifications of going through with the process on the next election. (Aka, it’s not politically expedient.)

It's been made extremely obvious at this point that there is no immediate action to be taken that will remove Trump from office. It's all about 11/2020 at this point.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 2:16 pm    Post subject:

[quote="VicXLakers"]
VicXLakers wrote:
"The Trump Family Business" Air Tonight At 9Pm ET

Quote:
CNN Special Reports Presents: The Trump Family Business
CNN Anchor Erin Burnett Hosts One-Hour Special

Airs Friday May 17th at 9 PM ET

youtube...

CNN Special Report The Trump Family Business 9PM 5/17/19 |

Quote:
Politics & Government
Published on May 17, 2019
For years, President Trump has bragged about his business prowess. However, he prefers to keep the details of how he makes money secret. Case in point: his current battles to keep his taxes and other financial documents away from scrutiny.

here's the last ten minutes...

after watching this I want to wipe them all out...even the Marine that stands at attention guarding the idiot...it makes men in uniform look stupid
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 4:09 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Quote:
PoliticsVideoChannel @politvidchannel

BREAKING: Rep. Adam Schiff Said This Today on President Trump

"If the only way that we can do our oversight is through an impeachment proceeding, then maybe we have to go down that road."

Are you sensing a theme from congressional leadership yet?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 6:40 pm    Post subject:

It's frustrating watching our government fall apart. Politics is giving me nausea and anxiety. I don't watch as much as I use to. I'll do my part by voting and encouraging all my friends to and ask them to encourage all their friends to.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 7:36 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
https://www.philly.com/news/pennsylvania-poll-joe-biden-donald-trump-bernie-sanders-20190515.html

https://www.philly.com/news/pennsylvania-poll-joe-biden-donald-trump-bernie-sanders-20190515.html

I'm a Warren supporter. But seeing headlines like this about Biden gives me comfort (if he wins the nomination).
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 4:10 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Quote:

"If the only way that we can do our oversight is through an impeachment proceeding, then maybe we have to go down that road."

Yeah, Democrat leadership getting outplayed over and over
Russia collusion... nothing
Stormy Daniels... nothing
Tax return... nothing
Kavanagh... nothing
Merrick Garland... success but by GOP
Head of EPA... anti-climate
Head of education... ?Devos?
Head of pharmaceutical oversite... the epipen CEO

If the table was turned, I wonder if GOP would get beat like this (just paraphrasing, don’t take offense). Been hearing Democrats need to grow a spine for decades, can’t even impeach the worst POTUS in history. Yes the senate is majority GOP, make your damn case to the public, Americans aren’t blind
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 5:01 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Quote:

Tax return... nothing
Kavanagh... nothing

If the table was turned, I wonder if GOP would get beat like this (just paraphrasing, don’t take offense). Been hearing Democrats need to grow a spine for decades, can’t even impeach the worst POTUS in history. Yes the senate is majority GOP, make your damn case to the public, Americans aren’t blind

no but they are stupid...witness trump's idiot nation
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 7:20 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Quote:

Tax return... nothing
Kavanagh... nothing

Most of these aren’t over yet. And a lot of Americans ARE blind, or at least uninterested. Where the Democrats got beaten is at the structural level. While most lefties pay attention at the presidential level, the GOP was going house to house and taking everything starting at dog catcher and working their way up. Hate fear and resentment has a natural get out the vote advantage over policy and inclusiveness, as does a willingness to ignore any rule that gets in the way. But they did the work and built a gerrymandered voter suppression and propaganda system that perfectly maximized their assets. And part of that is getting the voters on the left not to vote or to spend their time attacking each other over small points.

By the time people started waking up, we had trump and no garland, and there hasn’t been much beyond winning the mid terms, holding the fort, and trying to build an electoral wave for 2020 that can be done. And saying they should just seat garland or impeach trump is more getting played. Impeachment only works if there is call for it. This isn’t watergate. The GOP has no ultimate decency to fall back on if the truth is revealed. It’s already out there. They have to do it one step at a time, without letting Trump dictate the process. The independent part of the electorate IS starting to move. The wheels ARE turning. But everything is about 2020 first and foremost.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 9:10 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
governator wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Quote:

Tax return... nothing
Kavanagh... nothing

Most of these aren’t over yet. And a lot of Americans ARE blind, or at least uninterested. Where the Democrats got beaten is at the structural level. While most lefties pay attention at the presidential level, the GOP was going house to house and taking everything starting at dog catcher and working their way up. Hate fear and resentment has a natural get out the vote advantage over policy and inclusiveness, as does a willingness to ignore any rule that gets in the way. But they did the work and built a gerrymandered voter suppression and propaganda system that perfectly maximized their assets. And part of that is getting the voters on the left not to vote or to spend their time attacking each other over small points.

By the time people started waking up, we had trump and no garland, and there hasn’t been much beyond winning the mid terms, holding the fort, and trying to build an electoral wave for 2020 that can be done. And saying they should just seat garland or impeach trump is more getting played. Impeachment only works if there is call for it. This isn’t watergate. The GOP has no ultimate decency to fall back on if the truth is revealed. It’s already out there. They have to do it one step at a time, without letting Trump dictate the process. The independent part of the electorate IS starting to move. The wheels ARE turning. But everything is about 2020 first and foremost.

This has been going on out in the open since 2008, hey, I don’t agree with your prediction of what would happened to USA if impeachment is started but I do agree 2020 is make or break
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 9:53 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Quote:

I'm a Warren supporter. But seeing headlines like this about Biden gives me comfort (if he wins the nomination).

Don't forget how far Hillary led in the polls before the hounds were unleashed on her. Biden has a lot of baggage.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 9:56 am    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Quote:

Don't forget how far Hillary led in the polls before the hounds were unleashed on her. Biden has a lot of baggage.

can't count on those trump voters anyways....
eddiejonze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 10:14 am    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Quote:

Every person has baggage.
It makes Biden relatable, since I have baggage as well.
Congrats to you if you have a sterling past and have found a candidate that is close to perfect.
I'll support said "perfect" candidate in the General, will you support ol' "baggage Biden" if he wins?
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 10:27 am    Post subject:

eddiejonze wrote:
Surfitall wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Quote:

Congrats to you if you have a sterling past and have found a candidate that is close to perfect.
I'll support said "perfect" candidate in the General, will you support ol' "baggage Biden" if he wins?

I will support just about anybody in an effort to get Trump out of office. I did the same when Hillary was the nominee. But some people have worse baggage than others. Trump has the worst baggage of anyone, and it didn't stop him from becoming President. I think that if Biden becomes the nominee, his baggage is more easily exploitable than almost any other Democratic hopeful.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 10:48 am    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
eddiejonze wrote:
Surfitall wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Quote:

I will support just about anybody in an effort to get Trump out of office. I did the same when Hillary was the nominee. But some people have worse baggage than others. Trump has the worst baggage of anyone, and it didn't stop him from becoming President. I think that if Biden becomes the nominee, his baggage is more easily exploitable than almost any other Democratic hopeful.

I personally agree, but according to polling (at this very admittedly early stage) he's the leader in regards to having the best chance to beat Trump if he is the nominee amongst the current crop. So of the people who are aware of the baggage, a considerable amount apparently don't care. So it will come down to what happens with those who aren't aware and how they react to the news of the baggage and how they weigh it against Trump's

Sadly, I think there is a glaring difference that sort of nullifies what happened with Hilary . . . he's a White Male.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 12:07 pm    Post subject:

White House/DOJ tells McGahn to defy Congressional subpoena and not testify.

Is it a Constitutional crisis yet?
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 12:15 pm    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
eddiejonze wrote:
Surfitall wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Quote:

By which side?

I really hate conversations that focus on the negatives of liberals, especially considering that the worst Democrat is about a billion times better than Trump. However, we can and must point out the differences in candidates, and we can be critical, provided that there is a constructive element to the criticism.

I also hate hearing over and over, well, if I have to, even though I don't want to, even though they are so flawed, then I guess, maybe, if I have no other choice, then I will vote for them. THAT is not how to sell a candidate or inspire the enthusiasm needed to win.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 12:41 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:

Whatever label one wants to give it, it is time for an impeachment inquiry.
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 12:53 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Surfitall wrote:
eddiejonze wrote:
Surfitall wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Quote:

I personally agree, but according to polling (at this very admittedly early stage) he's the leader in regards to having the best chance to beat Trump if he is the nominee amongst the current crop. So of the people who are aware of the baggage, a considerable amount apparently don't care. So it will come down to what happens with those who aren't aware and how they react to the news of the baggage and how they weigh it against Trump's

Sadly, I think there is a glaring difference that sort of nullifies what happened with Hilary . . . he's a White Male.

That's just it, I don't think a considerable percentage of people are aware of Biden's baggage yet. The Republicans aren't slamming him with it yet, and most Democrats I know have no idea about the things that will turn voters off the most. (The hair sniffing, handling of little girls, the public and private gaffe's...this stuff will all become a focal point if he becomes the nominee, and Democrats have no idea these things are out there.)

This is why I have a problem with the, "Let's just pump them up and be positive camp.". No...I want to anticipate how dirty the Republicans are going to play and know what we are getting ourselves into.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 1:07 pm    Post subject:

Spencer Hsu

@hsu_spencer

BREAKING A federal judge has denied President Trump’s bid to quash a House subpoena for years of his financial records from his accounting firm, and declined a request by the president’s lawyers to stay his order pending their appeal. STORY UPCOMING

https://twitter.com/hsu_spencer/status/1130579046239297536
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 1:09 pm    Post subject:

Spencer Hsu
@hsu_spencer

The ruling handed an initial defeat to Trump’s vow to defy subpoenas by House Democrats, and came in one of the first courtroom challenges to a series of lawmakers’ investigative demands for his bank records, accounting statements and tax returns.

U.S. District Judge Amit P. Mehta of DC refused to block the records request to Mazars USA from the House Oversight and Reform Committee while litigation continues. Lawyers for Trump and associated entities argued Congress is not entitled to investigate his past personal dealings

Mehta:“So long as Congress investigates on a subject matter on which 'legislation could be had' .,. It it is not for the court to question whether the Committee’s actions are truly motivated by political considerations.'

House Democrats claim that Trump’s records will help Congress consider strengthening ethics and disclosure laws and enforce a constitutional ban on a president accepting foreign gifts, claims Mehta found were "facially valid."

End of conversation
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 1:11 pm    Post subject:

They will attack whoever is the nominee.

If Bernie is the nominee, I can already see ads with Bernie and Stalin on the screen, his trip to the Soviet Union, etc. If Warren is the nominee, they will Pocahontas it to the extreme, they will talk about her being a professor and an elitist, etc. If Harris is the nominee, they will focus on her race, her career as a prosecutor, etc.

All of those things will be designed not persuade a large and undecided segment of the population to vote for Trump, but to dissuade our side from voting. And if enough of us don't vote, it's our fault.

And whoever is the nominee needs to make it clear what's at stake: the Supreme Court, healthcare, the preservation of political institutions, a sensible foreign policy, etc.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 1:13 pm    Post subject:

What percent of people will be turned off by Biden innocently sniffing a child's hair, touching women and other supposed baggage will also be turned off by Trumps sexual escapades, Russian connections, xenophobia, misogyny for a short list?

The Democrats have to find a way to hammer home the truth. When it comes to baggage Biden's will fit in the overhead storage compartment, Trumps will have difficulty fitting in the cargo hold.

Don't know if this has been posted.

Trump directs former White House counsel McGahn to defy subpoena, not appear before Congress

LINK

Quote:
Rep. Doug Collins

@RepDougCollins
What better way to ensure we don’t hear from McGahn this week than by subpoenaing a witness who’s categorically immune from testifying? Thankfully, McGahn’s testimony is in Vol 2 of the #MuellerReport, 99.9% of which is available to the chairman, should he ever choose to read it.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Mon May 20, 2019 1:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 1:14 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Since we know the Senate won't convict. I'm wondering if the Dems can time an impeachment inquiry perfectly so Election day hits right before the Senate can make their decision to not convict. Maximum exposure of Trump crimes with minimal damage from the Senate's decision.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 1:21 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
ribeye wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Since we know the Senate won't convict. I'm wondering if the Dems can time an impeachment inquiry perfectly so Election day hits right before the Senate can make their decision to not convict. Maximum exposure of Trump crimes with minimal damage from the Senate's decision.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1544, 1545, 1546 ... 3669, 3670, 3671  Next
Page 1545 of 3671
Jump to: