THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1577, 1578, 1579 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:30 pm    Post subject:

Anyway, what I came in here to post is that the Russian bots have been out in force today on Twitter spreading this exact same post under different user names (all newbie users with almost no posts). Half the people on my progressive-leaning twitter feed have seen this in their timeline multiple times today. Exact same cut & paste post (complete with misspelling of "manufacturing"):

Quote:
Why I’m voting for Donald Trump in 2020:

- 4 million+ new jobs
- 400 miles of Wall Built
- 450,000 new manufactuing jobs
- Biggest tax cuts in history
- Median household income highest ever
- 3.9 million Americans off food stamps

It’s not about politics. It’s about results

We've all reported the posts as bots and blocked them as soon as we see them. It's a load of B.S. but there are people who read it, think it's a real person, and believe it. Or see it a dozen times and absorb a subliminal message.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:32 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
The first rule of power is that you must have it to exercise it. And right now I'm all about getting the reins of power back and then seeing what we can do with it.

Omar Little wrote:

He hasn't lost that, and he's not nearly as non-progressive as he's playing (any more than Nancy Pelosi actually doesn't want to impeach and remove Trump).

Ya the Biden v. Warren convo is very similar to the Impeach v. don't impeach convo.

It's counter intuitive to say that spitting in the face of your base is the politically expedient thing to do. Especially since it isn't a sure thing that it's the best path. That it'll lead to success in 2020.

I can see a path forward for the Democratic party if we lose in 2020 after choosing a progressive nominee and impeaching. But if we lose in 2020 after nominating Biden and not impeaching. That is potentially disastrous. Definitely the worst case scenario possible.
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:52 pm    Post subject:

The funniest argument I see is when people complain about Bernie Sanders running as a Democrat. Do you really want a candidate like Bernie Sanders to run as an independent and siphon off a significant percentage of Democratic votes in a Presidential election instead of in the primaries? Good luck with that.

It is much better for Democrats if Sanders runs as a Democrat.

And accusing Tulsi Gabbard of possibly being a manchurian candidate for the Russians out of one side of your mouth while simultaneously saying "WE. CAN. NOT. EAT. OUR. OWN." is laughable.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:53 pm    Post subject:

Bidens remarks have been the talk of the day. Instead of focusing on something so minor Democrats should be presenting their platforms. They're starting cat fights that only lend fodder to the Republicans.

He said he had fond recollections of working relationships with segregationists in the Senate. Why the uproar? I glean he worked with them. It doesn't say he adopted any of their segregation policies. His position may have been trying to dissuade.

It's starting, the sniping. This is not productive. Attack Trump not each other.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:55 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
The point of the primaries is to discuss the differences among the candidates. That is not eating our own. I try to stick to policy and character issues that go directly to presidential qualifications. I'm not spreading gossip and innuendo. I'm relaying the candidate's own words and policies. That's how we all decide who best represents us.

I'm not on here with PizzaGate stories or talking about how many houses someone has. If we can't discuss how the candidates handle adversity during the campaign (which is a big hint as to how they'd handle adversity as president), then why bother discussing anything?

Thank you!!! This is exactly right. Ironically, those who say WE. MUST. NOT. EAT. OUR. OWN. are the same ones that throw mudslinging accusations around against the candidates they don't like.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:55 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
The first rule of power is that you must have it to exercise it. And right now I'm all about getting the reins of power back and then seeing what we can do with it.

Omar Little wrote:

He hasn't lost that, and he's not nearly as non-progressive as he's playing (any more than Nancy Pelosi actually doesn't want to impeach and remove Trump).

Ya the Biden v. Warren convo is very similar to the Impeach v. don't impeach convo.

It's counter intuitive to say that spitting in the face of your base is the politically expedient thing to do. Especially since it isn't a sure thing that it's the best path. That it'll lead to success in 2020.

I can see a path forward for the Democratic party if we lose in 2020 after choosing a progressive nominee and impeaching. But if we lose in 2020 after nominating Biden and not impeaching. That is potentially disastrous. Definitely the worst case scenario possible.

You're confusing fringe with base. The GOP fringe IS the base because they come out reliably and in full force to vote in the primaries. The Democratic center left moderates are the ones who do that. The far left comes and goes, and often skips the midterms.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:56 pm    Post subject:

eddiejonze wrote:
Biden/ Warren ticket is the only way.
Get the Moderates, get the progressives.
Biden has the foreign policy chops (over every single candidate)
Warren has a lot of great domestic policies.

There is a poster or two here that go on and on and on about "old white men".
A Biden/ Warren ticket would be a ticket of "old white people", but according to the Atlantic and CNN:

"Voters older than 45 cast fully 60 percent of all votes in the 2016 Democratic primary, according to a cumulative CNN analysis of all the exit polls conducted that year."

Which confusingly brings me to this article:

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/06/13/joe-biden-age-trump-2020-1361782

"In overt and indirect ways, questions about the former vice president’s age and vigor are increasingly surfacing within his own party, fueled by the former vice president’s relatively light campaign schedule and attempts to limit his public exposure. "

What frustrates me so much lately is people who rightfully point out racism and sexism seem to have no problem spouting off constant ageism, by pointing out any candidates age.
Are you suggesting that the older person is developmentally disabled or "slower" than a younger candidate?!?

You're missing the point entirely. People like Biden are criticized for their comments and actions specific to them as an individual. The "old white male" part enters because those actions are indicative of antiquated thoughts and ideals associated with their generation. It's not about ageism because it's not about the age, it's about the out of date attitudes.

And I say this as an "older white man" (55). There's no doubt or denying that there is a degree of privilege that has benefitted that segment of our society. There are members of it who are aware of it and work away from it, and others who still find themselves perpetuating it.

Biden gets called out not because of his age, but because he demonstrates outdated ideals associated with older generations.

As I have said many times, Biden is out of touch with the social pulse of today. And more importantly, has demonstrated that he is incapable of trying too find that pulse when he has misstepped.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:07 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

I think in reality you're on point, but there's a very clear strategy developed by and for Biden (along with some unscripted Crazy Uncle Joe-ness):

Do not embrace identity issues wherever possible.
Be seen as a unifier, even if most people know that's (bleep)
Don't apologize. That's been a key tool of Trump and the GOP, getting people on the defensive.

Biden isn't going to win the primary on policy or on identity issues. Right or wrong his only path to election is center left, attack and be attacked by Trump, and poll well in the battleground states.

I wish it were as calculated as you propose. It's obvious that much of Bidden's lack of acknowledgment of missteps doesn't come from a strategy, it comes from a cluelessness and defensiveness (also similar to Trump) - as his response to Booker proves.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:11 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
I liked him better when he was Barrack's bff doing cute bro videos and wearing Rayban's.

Agreed!
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:16 pm    Post subject:

According to NBC, Biden called Booker last night to "smooth things."
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:47 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Omar Little wrote:

You're confusing fringe with base. The GOP fringe IS the base because they come out reliably and in full force to vote in the primaries. The Democratic center left moderates are the ones who do that. The far left comes and goes, and often skips the midterms.

The "fringe" (I put it in quotes because a lot of progressive policy is popular when polled across all Americans) showed up in 2018 and that made a difference compared to 2016.

A lot of people like to compare Warren to Hillary because they are both older white women. But I see a lot more similarities between Biden and Hillary. Both "insiders". Both longtime career politicians. Both the more moderate candidate in the field. Biden gets the "anybody but Trump" benefit of the doubt. But if I learned anything from Bernie bros it is : the further from center voters are more likely to sit out to prove a point than the more pragmatic center/moderate Dems.

Like 2016, I personally will vote for whomever the Dems nominate. But I fear we're repeating the same mistakes from the last Presidential election cycle. For gerrymandered districts in purple states. I get the center pivot. But for the Presidential election I'm not sure if altruism is at odds with winning.

Like CL alluded to. Turnout is the name of the game. Don't need Biden out there reinforcing Trumps message to non-Republicans that both sides are flawed so there is no point in voting.
eddiejonze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:42 pm    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
The funniest argument I see is when people complain about Bernie Sanders running as a Democrat. Do you really want a candidate like Bernie Sanders to run as an independent and siphon off a significant percentage of Democratic votes in a Presidential election instead of in the primaries? Good luck with that.

And accusing Tulsi Gabbard of possibly being a manchurian candidate for the Russians out of one side of your mouth while simultaneously saying "WE. CAN. NOT. EAT. OUR. OWN." is laughable.

It was a joke, guy.
Notice I said "Soviets"?
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:55 pm    Post subject:

A controversy over a drone was about to start a nuclear war and our military has to go along with it?

Trump approved missile strikes on targets in Iran.. but called it off while they were about to begin
https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/21/politics/trump-military-strikes-iran/index.html

I know he loves playing the bully but there is something about him that doesn't want to be directly responsible for deaths..

If this was propaganda then it is better than actually dropping the bombs etc..

No secretary of defense.. correct? Just Trump
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:21 pm    Post subject:

Was Putin watching to see what kind of attack the big bad US Military would plan..
then have Trump call it off..
just so he, Putin, could see what DoD had planned for all these years??
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:27 am    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
Was Putin watching to see what kind of attack the big bad US Military would plan..
then have Trump call it off..
just so he, Putin, could see what DoD had planned for all these years??

I don’t think a small strike in response to a drone being downed is a big secret the US has been planning for years.
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:22 am    Post subject:

eddiejonze wrote:
Surfitall wrote:

It was a joke, guy.
Notice I said "Soviets"?

My bad, I did notice Soviets and just thought you made a mental error.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:48 am    Post subject:

E. Jean Carroll (famed Elle magazine columnist): “Trump attacked (violent raped) me in the dressing room of Bergdorf Goodman.”

Quote:
When Carroll meets Donald Trump in Bergdorf Goodman, the encounter starts as a friendly one. Trump recognizes her as “that advice lady”; Carroll recognizes him as “that real-estate tycoon.” Trump tells Carroll that he’s there to buy a gift for “a girl,” and though we don’t learn the identity of this mystery woman, Carroll places the ensuing incident in late 1995 or early 1996, during which time Trump was married to Marla Maples. When Trump asks Carroll to advise him on what to buy, she agrees, and the two eventually make their way to the lingerie section. Trump suggests a lace bodysuit and encourages Carroll to try it on; she, deflecting, jokingly suggests that he try it on instead. After they reach the dressing rooms, events turn violent. In Carroll’s account, Trump shoves her against a wall inside a dressing room, pulls down her tights, and, “forcing his fingers around my private area, thrusts his penis halfway — or completely, I’m not certain — inside me.”

Carroll, 75, is a venerated Elle advice columnist. At the time of the attack, she was well known in her own right. A frequent feature writer for magazines like Playboy and Esquire, she had her own television show on America’s Talking, the precursor to MSNBC. Trump had his own record. By the time of his alleged assault on Carroll, Trump’s ex-wife, Ivana, had already claimed that Trump violated her during their marriage. (Ivana recanted the claim after Trump launched his campaign for the presidency.) Further news reports, published in 2016, place at least four other alleged sexual-assault claims, made by Kristin Anderson, Jill Harth, Cathy Heller, and Temple Taggart McDowell, in the years before and during the time period of Carroll’s account.

Carroll is now at least the 16th woman to accuse Donald Trump of sexual misconduct and the 14th to accuse Moonves of similar offenses. The incidents, which date from the 1990s, are highly specific and related with dark humor. Moonves is compared by Carroll to an octopus, and Trump, she writes, “yammers about himself like he’s Alexander the Great ready to loot Babylon.” But she is clear, sometimes clinical, about the violence she experienced. Moonves frantically kisses and gropes her in a hotel elevator moments after she finished interviewing him for an article. The Trump story is even darker.

Quote:
Carroll says that she disclosed the Trump incident to two friends at the time. One, whom Carroll describes as “a journalist, magazine writer, correspondent on the TV morning shows, author of many books, etc.,” told her to go to the police: “‘He raped you,’ she kept repeating when I called her. ‘He raped you. Go to the police! I’ll go with you. We’ll go together.’” The other, who is also a journalist, was sympathetically cautious: “‘Tell no one. Forget it! He has 200 lawyers. He’ll bury you.’” Carroll writes that the Donna Karan coat-dress she wore that day “still hangs on the back of my closet door.” She wore it for the first time since the attack for her portrait session with New York for the cover, above.

Sadly, this probably won't even make the evening news. I lived in Manhattan during this time frame and heard several stories from associates that Trump frequently bragged about having sex with underage girls using graphic language. I've always loathed him, way before he became president.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:27 am    Post subject:

Kocked And Loaded, Not Locked And Loaded. We have an illiterate in office. Cant even get a old adage right. How in the hell is he going to get important issues right? Had to change the C to K for the filter.

@DMR, I may have butchered this sentence but I'm not POTUS.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:52 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
E. Jean Carroll (famed Elle magazine columnist): “Trump attacked (violent raped) me in the dressing room of Bergdorf Goodman.”
Quote:

Sadly, this probably won't even make the evening news. I lived in Manhattan during this time frame and heard several stories from associates that Trump frequently bragged about having sex with underage girls using graphic language. I've always loathed him, way before he became president.

No doubt, considering the p-grabber boasting tape, which would have ended the career for a Democrat, and that he not only survived it actually got elected.

I will never understand why such a low life is preferred [edit: by Republicans] to just about any, if not any, Democrat.

Last edited by ribeye on Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:53 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Quote:

No doubt, considering the p-grabber boasting tape, which would have ended the career for a Democrat, and that he not only survived it actually got elected.

I will never understand why such a low life is preferred to just about any, if not any, Democrat.

72%White Hispanic 60.7% non Hispanic.....

ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:05 pm    Post subject:

Bloomberg: Elizabeth Warren’s Pledge to End Private Prisons Sends Shares Reeling

Quote:
Shares of private prisons GEO Group Inc. and CoreCivic Inc. took a hit Friday morning after presidential candidate Senator Elizabeth Warren tweeted about about her plan to terminate them.

GEO slid as much as 5.8%, its biggest intraday loss since March, and CoreCivic retreated as much as 6%, the largest intraday decline this year.

Quote:
Warren, a Massachusetts Democrat, said in a tweet that “private prison companies have spent millions to turn our criminal and immigration policies into ones that prioritize making them rich instead of keeping us safe —with terrible consequences. Today I’m announcing my plan to end this private profiteering off of cruelty.”

Stocks don't tank unless investors believe the candidate has a chance of winning and implementing the policy.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:08 pm    Post subject:

Also, the President of the United States is a serial rapist. And the main stream media doesn't care.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:33 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Also, the President of the United States is a serial rapist. And the main stream media doesn't care.

I don't blame the media. I blame the Trump voters/supporters (at least 60+ million Americans) who don't care. And wouldn't care no matter how much it's reported on.
And most of the rest of us (who do care) feel powerless to do anything about it.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:35 pm    Post subject:

https://www.newsweek.com/japanese-american-internment-camps-u-s-fort-sill-protest-1445214
Japanese-Americans Held in Internment Camps As Children to Lead Protest Against Fort Sill Child Detention: 'It's Never Too Late to Do the Right Thing

I read one article recently saying there were 9000 people in a place only allowing 1500ish iirc
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:45 pm    Post subject:

Trumps DONORS need to be boycotted in any way possible

Also

Rounding up the illegals.. what is the distraction quality here..

I know one thing for sure..

Each head earns some useless Billionaire Corporation money

The US Govt** is paying for profit concentration camp corporations to house these humans.

BTW.. Trumps $800,000,000,000 over budget didn't take into account this new raid.. Where will more tax money come from to care the people he hopes to lock up this weekend??

US Govt** YOU and ME and all citizens who are residents of this country are housing these children like this
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1577, 1578, 1579 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next
Page 1578 of 3663
Jump to: