THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1665, 1666, 1667 ... 3671, 3672, 3673  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:32 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Republicans: "We aren't racists. We are just indistinguishable from people who are racist."

Me: "Um... okay?"

If a Republican is still a Republican after the last 3 years, then he's a racist, pro-Russia, mysoginist, climate change denier and a despicable human being. Any honor or dignity the GOP had is gone and there's no grey area with regards to being for or against Trump.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:28 am    Post subject:

BlueNGold wrote:

Um, no, I'm not just going to stick to the non-political side of the site. I've not antagonized, trolled, or violated community standards or guidelines. I came here for political discourse and I'm not gonna be bullied into leaving.

I don't blindly worship Trump. I have disagreed with many of the things that he has said and done, but I had no opportunity to mention any of that since, as a Trump supporter, I was lumped into being among those things that you claim that all Trump supporters are. I didn't appreciate it.

Good for you. We, the regular posters in this thread who are liberal/progressive to very liberal progressive, need to be confident with our points of view and welcome other points of view for debate and discussion.

What will indeed anger the mods will be hit-and-runs, where a point is made, a point of contention is countered and then . . . crickets. And a few weeks later, deja vu.

How about we see how this goes: I am constantly frustrated that so many conservatives and Trumplicans just seem to hate liberals, when, except for the donor class that provides the funding for their culture war issues, most of the liberal/progressive ideas and policies benefit them. Why such hate?
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:22 am    Post subject:

He attacked posters in this thread for:

- making ignorant assertions
- when presented with articles backing up assertions, he labeled them irrelevant left wing propaganda
- when asked to present articles backing up his assertions, he pretended not to notice and didn't present any
- accused Democratic posters of hypocrisy in demanding links to authentic news sites and equated posting something from NBC/WSJ with Republican posters linking to Breitbart, implying that NBC/WSJ is just the leftist version of Breitbart
- denied Trump or his polices are racist, presented no evidence to back up his assertion yet demanded that we prove Trump is racist
- denied that a majority of Americans dislike Trump and when presented with multiple polls backing up assertion, he dismissed the polls (including WSJ and Fox) as being slanted left wing nonsense
- accused Democrats and posters of just being "blind Trump haters" as if we just woke up one day and decided to hate him while ignoring the very real reasons for most American's dislike of Trump (racism, misogyny, lying, bigotry, corruption, locking babies in cages, coddling dictators, turning the executive branch and DOJ into a government run mafia, etc etc)
- accused Democrats of being a sad minority obsessed with Mueller investigation and impeachment
- when presented with evidence of wave Democratic wins in 2018, he ignored
- asserted that most Americans think Democrats have "fallen off the rocker"
- never even attempted to respond to the data being presented with opposing data, just dismissed it all out of hand by attacking the media and attacking Democrats and liberals
- when it was suggested maybe he wasn't up to posting in this thread with those attitudes, he got huffy and asserted he was being bullied
- he resents being lumped in with other Trump supporters, yet he walked and talked exactly like every other Trump supporter who has ever posted in this thread. Attack, deny, belittle, refuse to post articles backing up opinions, continue to attack, then act like a victim when called on it.

Whatever.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:31 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
He attacked posters in this thread for:

- making ignorant assertions
- when presented with articles backing up assertions, he labeled them irrelevant left wing propaganda
- when asked to present articles backing up his assertions, he pretended not to notice and didn't present any
- accused Democratic posters of hypocrisy in demanding links to authentic news sites and equated posting something from NBC/WSJ with Republican posters linking to Breitbart, implying that NBC/WSJ is just the leftist version of Breitbart
- denied Trump or his polices are racist, presented no evidence to back up his assertion yet demanded that we prove Trump is racist
- denied that a majority of Americans dislike Trump and when presented with multiple polls backing up assertion, he dismissed the polls (including WSJ and Fox) as being slanted left wing nonsense
- accused Democrats and posters of just being "blind Trump haters" as if we just woke up one day and decided to hate him while ignoring the very real reasons for most American's dislike of Trump (racism, misogyny, lying, bigotry, corruption, locking babies in cages, coddling dictators, turning the executive branch and DOJ into a government run mafia, etc etc)
- accused Democrats of being a sad minority obsessed with Mueller investigation and impeachment
- when presented with evidence of wave Democratic wins in 2018, he ignored
- asserted that most Americans think Democrats have "fallen off the rocker"
- never even attempted to respond to the data being presented with opposing data, just dismissed it all out of hand by attacking the media and attacking Democrats and liberals
- when it was suggested maybe he wasn't up to posting in this thread with those attitudes, he got huffy and asserted he was being bullied
- he resents being lumped in with other Trump supporters, yet he walked and talked exactly like every other Trump supporter who has ever posted in this thread. Attack, deny, belittle, refuse to post articles backing up opinions, continue to attack, then act like a victim when called on it.

Whatever.

You say "he" as if he is just one person who has done all that when the reality (as you know) is that he is just one in a loooooooong line of Republicans who have checked every single on of those boxes.

It's like a manual for he and his cronies.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:26 am    Post subject:

Damn, what'd I miss?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:05 am    Post subject:

BlueNGold wrote:

Quote:
Also, since "racist" is thrown around so much anymore, care to provide a solid example of him hating those groups?

Are you serious?

Central Park 5
Boarder policy
$hit hole country's
Grab them by the p...y
I could go on and on but I'm sure you've stepped in it with that ask.

Quote:
By the Bye: I was with you on the most because of the broad canvas it painted.

I deleted this portion of my post after reading CL's explanation of most
It showed where most uneducated White males voted for Trump.
Quote:
Central Park 5 - Agreed, not one of his better moments.

One among the many.
Quote:
Boarder policy - The border policy is not and has never been about hating a specific group of people, which is a requirement to declare racism. It is about the very real threat of violent people coming across the border unchecked, especially when the vast majority are coming from Central American countries seeking asylum, but passed directly through a country offering asylum. Seeking asylum is based on mere protection and not preference.

I don't agree. Trump has shown disdain for people of color most of his life.
Quote:
$hit hole country's - Again, not his finest moment, but it was talked down as immigration into the country as being merit-based above all else.

Those merits are BS. Explain how you can satisfy a merit based immigration policy. Prove this
Quote:
"Only 12% of legal immigrants are selected based on skill or based on merit. In countries like Canada, Australia and New Zealand, and others, that number is closer to 60, and even 70 and 75% in some cases." Donald Trump on Thursday, May 16th, 2019 in an immigration speech

Quote:
Grab them by the p...y - Not a racist claim.

It's misogynistic. One of CL's claims.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:28 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Damn, what'd I miss?

>conservatives got called conservatives

>a lurking conservative saw this, became emotional, and said hey that's unfair that you're implicating individual republicans like me for the consequences that 90% of my party's elected officials work toward, which makes me the victim and you the bully

>said conservative, an open supporter of the "windmills cause cancer" tier of counterfactual discourse, unironically requests reliable sources for criticism of age-old conservative themes; asserts left-of-center disposition of sources provided as grounds for automatic disqualification

Going with this adversarial play inevitably exposes you to a more intense level of skepticism and review of your arguments by people already inclined to disagree with you based on the cowardly position you've taken. Further, it earns you the dismissive and hostile treatment that you say you don't deserve, but really is what you were aiming for all along when you came into a politics thread on discussion forum that isn't exclusively conservative, hoping to own the libs. You need intellectual weapons for that, boy. An open mind, a charitable interpretation of opposing viewpoints, the ability to concede arguments and admit that your opponents made good points or have the ability to change your mind. More than any of that, you need evidence. Find some of these, quickly, or suffer the the same humiliating path taken by your like-minded predecessors: Allege that you were bullied in this thread by people who gave you every chance to support your beliefs, tuck tail, and leave because you made yourself feel unwelcome by constantly playing the fool.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:06 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
BlueNGold wrote:

Um, no, I'm not just going to stick to the non-political side of the site. I've not antagonized, trolled, or violated community standards or guidelines. I came here for political discourse and I'm not gonna be bullied into leaving.

I don't blindly worship Trump. I have disagreed with many of the things that he has said and done, but I had no opportunity to mention any of that since, as a Trump supporter, I was lumped into being among those things that you claim that all Trump supporters are. I didn't appreciate it.

Good for you. We, the regular posters in this thread who are liberal/progressive to very liberal progressive, need to be confident with our points of view and welcome other points of view for debate and discussion.

What will indeed anger the mods will be hit-and-runs, where a point is made, a point of contention is countered and then . . . crickets. And a few weeks later, deja vu.

How about we see how this goes: I am constantly frustrated that so many conservatives and Trumplicans just seem to hate liberals, when, except for the donor class that provides the funding for their culture war issues, most of the liberal/progressive ideas and policies benefit them. Why such hate?

I know this is about this other guy, but can I ask about the hit n run aspect to you or other mods....I might be a hit n run type poster not for this issue everyone is addressing here, but just in general. Not just here either, I turn off notifications and reply later. Mainly, I just find it hard to keep up with work since I work a lot, but I am sure many or most of you do too (so I don't get how you all do it). I don't reply here by phone or login by phone. Or I just get distracted with other things or family time or errands or whatever. I usually don't pick up replies because I forgot usually and it might be like 6 pages back. Or it might also just seem like everyone's moved on.

So is the way I do it really frowned upon? I usually seem to comment in chunks with big gaps in time in between. Again, I know most of the criticism is for this other person's method and so it's not for me, but I am just talking broadly about hit n run posting generally.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:11 am    Post subject:

focus wrote:
ribeye wrote:
BlueNGold wrote:

I know this is about this other guy, but can I ask about the hit n run aspect to you or other mods....I might be a hit n run type poster not for this issue everyone is addressing here, but just in general. Not just here either, I turn off notifications and reply later. Mainly, I just find it hard to keep up with work since I work a lot, but I am sure many or most of you do too (so I don't get how you all do it). I don't reply here by phone or login by phone. Or I just get distracted with other things or family time or errands or whatever. I usually don't pick up replies because I forgot usually and it might be like 6 pages back. Or it might also just seem like everyone's moved on.

So is the way I do it really frowned upon? I usually seem to comment in chunks with big gaps in time in between. Again, I know most of the criticism is for this other person's method and so it's not for me, but I am just talking broadly about hit n run posting generally.

hit and run posting is usually planned and the posts themselves always advance one particular agenda
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:14 am    Post subject:

focus wrote:
ribeye wrote:
BlueNGold wrote:

That 's not what we mean by hit and run posters. We're talking about non-regular posters who only stop by this thread to troll for a few hours then disappear for months or more. They will inevitably reappear months later to repeat the exact same schtick - attack Democrats, tell us all we're out of touch liberals, refuse to engage in reasonable back and forth dialog, then after they've gotten their insults and digs in, they disappear again. It's trolling more than posting.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:18 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
That 's not what we mean by hit and run posters. We're talking about non-regular posters who only stop by this thread to troll for a few hours then disappear for months or more. They will inevitably reappear months later to repeat the exact same schtick - attack Democrats, tell us all we're out of touch liberals, refuse to engage in reasonable back and forth dialog, then after they've gotten their insults and digs in, they disappear again. It's trolling more than posting.

The key point being learning curve. The argument progresses as a result of the dialog. The length of the gap isn't what's important -- it's what someone says when they DO return.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:21 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
focus wrote:
ribeye wrote:
BlueNGold wrote:

Ok, thank you. I actually read this thread and the lounge daily at least, but comment or reply a lot less. Do you get notifications, CL, on your phone to even know someone commented, or some other way?
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:28 am    Post subject:

focus wrote:

Ok, thank you. I actually read this thread and the lounge daily at least, but comment or reply a lot less. Do you get notifications, CL, on your phone to even know someone commented, or some other way?

You can edit your profile and check the box that says "always notify me of replies."
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:31 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

The key point being learning curve. The argument progresses as a result of the dialog. The length of the gap isn't what's important -- it's what someone says when they DO return.

I've seen it elsewhere, and before in this thread, but i still don't get what their perceived value of doing so is here.
eddiejonze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:43 am    Post subject:

Welp, the Kamala Harris bump from attacking Ol Joe has vanished and my man Joey B is back on top with the commanding lead.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/20/politics/cnn-poll-democrats-2020-biden-rebound/index.html

Quote:
Among those under age 45, 56% say it's more important to nominate a candidate who shares your positions on issues, while 66% of those age 45 and older say it's more important to nominate someone who can defeat Trump. Among whites without college degrees, 49% say it's more important to nominate someone who shares their view on issues while 45% say beating Trump is more important, but among whites with a college degree, 65% say it's more important to beat Trump.

That sure as heck sounds like people in the suburbs in states trump won in which moderates got back in 2018.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:45 am    Post subject:

focus wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

I've seen it elsewhere, and before in this thread, but i still don't get what their perceived value of doing so is here.

He was annoyed by the poll that showed the majority of Americans say they won't vote for Trump, EXCEPT for non-college white males who favor him by 67%. When I implied the obvious connection between Trump and that group (racism & sexism) he got bent out of shape and did his version of, "TRUMP IS NOT A RACIST! AND NEITHER AM I! HOW DARE YOU MAKE THAT IGNORANT ACCUSATION JUST BECAUSE I SUPPORT HIM!"

Quote:
In the NBC/WSJ poll, 40% will definitely/probably vote for Trump and 52% definitely/probably for a Dem. Among whites:

White women/college+
Trump 30%
Dem 63%

White women/non-college
Trump 43%
Dem 49%

White men/ college+
Trump 44%
Dem 49%

White men/non-college
Trump 67%
Dem 22%
eddiejonze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:06 am    Post subject:

But wait, there's more!

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/20/politics/cnn-poll-democrats-2020-biden-rebound/index.html

Quote:
Joe Biden has expanded his edge over the Democratic field in a new CNN poll conducted by SSRS, with 29% of Democratic and Democratic-leaning registered voters saying they back the former vice president.

That's up 7 points compared with a late June CNN survey. No other candidate has made meaningful gains over that time.

Quote:
The shift returns Biden to a double-digit lead over his nearest competitors, Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders at 15% and Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren at 14%. Their support is largely unchanged since earlier this summer.

and did anyone come across this beautiful nugget two months ago from Quinnipiac via Politico that has Biden winning TEXAS?!

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/06/05/biden-beating-trump-texas-poll-1355285

To quote Kobe: all that matters is RINGS.
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:11 am    Post subject:

How many "not one of his better moments" does it take for someone to say he simply sucks?

How many do those people allot for Obama or a Democrat?

Trying to smooth out a whole lot of lumps with frump while screaming murder for a relatively small number of "not one of his better moments". Even things that are even semi-problematic during the Obama time is said to be horrendous.

Again, Obamacare is evil while ACA looks pretty good... That's the type of disconnect that really can't be fixed for many people (imo).
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:36 pm    Post subject:

https://www.businessinsider.com/truckers-donald-trump-trade-war-taxes-2019-8

Quote:
Truckers voted for Trump in droves. Now they say his trade war is 'killing' their ability to make a living.

But a sharp downturn in the trucking industry and a slew of tax changes have hampered their ability to make a living. And many connect those two trends to Trump's economic policies.

"He has not affected our business in a positive way," said one truck driver who asked to be quoted anonymously for fear their small business might suffer. "He's killing our business. If consumers aren't buying, then there is no demand. This really isn't about my political leanings — it's pure business."

Trump's tax reworking in 2017 led to many truck drivers having to pay hundreds in taxes this year, thanks to a change in per-diem laws. Dennis Bridges, an accountant who specializes in doing taxes for truckers, told Mother Jones in April that 75% of his clients saw an unusually large tax payment, and about 20% had to fork over more than $5,000....

... "Manufacturers are scared. Last month's manufacturing jobs numbers finally began to reflect the reduced production. Everyone looks at the unemployment rate and thinks, mistakenly, that the economy is in great shape. Manufacturing tells the real story."

But, on the other hand he's built the wall and solved our illegal immigrant problem, so I'll still vote for him!
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:48 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

President Trump said Tuesday that Jewish people who vote for Democrats are either ignorant or disloyal as he railed against two congresswomen who have been critical of the U.S.-Israel alliance.

"I think Jewish people that vote for a Democrat — I think it shows either a total lack of knowledge or great disloyalty," Trump told reporters during an Oval Office meeting with the president of Romania.

I'll just leave this here for anyone who doesn't want to add anti-semite to the list
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:53 pm    Post subject:

But some Nazi's are very fine people.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:55 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
Quote:

President Trump said Tuesday that Jewish people who vote for Democrats are either ignorant or disloyal as he railed against two congresswomen who have been critical of the U.S.-Israel alliance.

"I think Jewish people that vote for a Democrat — I think it shows either a total lack of knowledge or great disloyalty," Trump told reporters during an Oval Office meeting with the president of Romania.

I'll just leave this here for anyone who doesn't want to add anti-semite to the list

translation: Jewish Americans should be loyal to... not America
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:01 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
Quote:

So just to spell it out for our conservative friends:

Talib and Omar have criticized the Israeli government's policies.
Trump criticized Jewish people implying they are dumb and disloyal.

So tell me again which set of words appear racist and bigoted?
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:24 pm    Post subject:

Andrew Yang wants to employ blockchain in voting. “It’s ridiculous that in 2020 we are still standing in line for hours to vote in antiquated voting booths. It is 100% technically possible to have fraud proof voting on our mobile phone...”

https://www.yang2020.com/policies/modernize-voting/

The only technology literate candidate running for President.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:18 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
The vaccine issue comes as dozens of families that were separated at the US-Mexico border prepare to sue the federal government, including several that say their young children were abused — sexually, physically, or emotionally — in federally funded foster care.

Those allegations are included in at least 38 legal claims, according to the Associated Press news agency, which was able to access some lawsuits before they were made public.

All of those suits together could leave American taxpayers liable for around $200m (£165m) in damages.

LINK

I'm disgusted.but not surprised.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1665, 1666, 1667 ... 3671, 3672, 3673  Next
Page 1666 of 3673
Jump to: