THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1672, 1673, 1674 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:59 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Liking tax cuts does not make you a member of a protected class.

Of course not. EVERYONE likes tax cuts, but we must function as a society of the many, with many points of view. As such, if we want an infrastructure, or as some do, get into all these wars and skirmishes, or help the needy, as does a civilized society, or protect our environment, workers, and consumers, we must pay our share.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: One Koch brother down . . .

BigGameHames wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:

Yes it would. I don’t support Trump nor do I condone many things he’s said and done. I did not vote for him and I won’t in 2020. Doesn’t mean I can’t criticize the left for being unfairly intolerant of conservative policy’s and beliefs.

This is the kind of intellectual dishonesty that proves you are not truly interested in a meaningful discussion. The left is not just indiscriminately intolerant of "conservative policy’s and beliefs". They are intolerant of those policies and action that are inherently and undeniably damaging and or discriminatory.

Believe what you want. I should’ve said some members of the left or the far left instead of lumping everybody together but I stand by what I said with that small adjustment.

It's not a question of me "believing what I want". It's the reality.

Those of us on the Left are not against Republicans having Christian beliefs. We are against Republicans who use their Christian beliefs to justify discrimination against others. Or elected GOP members who refuse to abide by the tenet of the separation of Church and State.

Those of us on the Left are not against Republicans who believe in the Second Amendment. We are against Republicans who use it as a justification to refuse to enact reasonable gun legislation.

Those of on the Left aren't against Republicans who don't believe abortion is appropriate. We are against Republicans who want to place their feelings on the subject ahead of a woman's right to make a responsible choice about what happens to their body.

Those of us on the Left are not against Republicans who think homosexuality is a sin. We are against Republicans who think that means they get to shut down gay people's ability to legally marry.

Those of us on the Left are not against Republicans who want to enforce immigration law. We are against Republicans to want to exploit immigration law to engage in inhumane acts like child/parent separation.

Those of us on the Left aren't against Republicans who want to enforce laws against undocumented labor. We are against Republicans who enforce those laws along racial lines i.e. arresting latino immigrants and dperting them but not arresting or fining the employers who knowingly hire them.

And I could go on and on with examples proving that it is not just my belief, but a day to day reality.

Meanwhile, the GOP routinely targets people base solely on who they are and not what they do, like gay marriage. Lumping asylum seekers in as "criminals" even though they try to go through legal channels.

And this is all a drop in the bucket of reasons why the whole "both sides" gas lighting is absolute nonsense.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: One Koch brother down . . .

DaMuleRules wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:

Yes it would. I don’t support Trump nor do I condone many things he’s said and done. I did not vote for him and I won’t in 2020. Doesn’t mean I can’t criticize the left for being unfairly intolerant of conservative policy’s and beliefs.

This is the kind of intellectual dishonesty that proves you are not truly interested in a meaningful discussion. The left is not just indiscriminately intolerant of "conservative policy’s and beliefs". They are intolerant of those policies and action that are inherently and undeniably damaging and or discriminatory.

Believe what you want. I should’ve said some members of the left or the far left instead of lumping everybody together but I stand by what I said with that small adjustment.

Those of us on the Left are not against Republicans having Christian beliefs. We are against Republicans who use their Christian beliefs to justify discrimination against others. Or elected GOP members who refuse to abide by the tenet of the separation of Church and State.

Those of us on the Left are not against Republicans who believe in the Second Amendment. We are against Republicans who use it as a justification to refuse to enact reasonable gun legislation.

Those of on the Left aren't against Republicans who don't believe abortion is appropriate. We are against Republicans who want to place their feelings on the subject ahead of a woman's right to make a responsible choice about what happens to their body.

Those of us on the Left are not against Republicans who think homosexuality is a sin. We are against Republicans who think that means they get to shut down gay people's ability to legally marry.

Those of us on the Left are not against Republicans who want to enforce immigration law. We are against Republicans to want to exploit immigration law to engage in inhumane acts like child/parent separation.

Those of us on the Left aren't against Republicans who want to enforce laws against undocumented labor. We are against Republicans who enforce those laws along racial lines i.e. arresting latino immigrants and dperting them but not arresting or fining the employers who knowingly hire them.

And I could go on and on with examples proving that it is not just my belief, but a day to day reality.

Meanwhile, the GOP routinely targets people base solely on who they are and not what they do, like gay marriage. Lumping asylum seekers in as "criminals" even though they try to go through legal channels.

And this is all a drop in the bucket of reasons why the whole "both sides" gas lighting is absolute nonsense.

You're on a role. It is funny, not in the ha ha, how the worst sometimes brings out the best in us.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:15 pm    Post subject:

And both sides are not the same. The choice between Democrats and Republicans is not the choice between the lesser of two evils. Yes, our system is messed up and badly corrupted. But one party is for voting rights, equality, availability of affordable healthcare for all, equal rights for women, LGTBQ, protecting children and the most vulnerable in our society including the poor and elderly, and trying to save Earth's environment. And the other party is AGAINST all those things. Save me the ridiculousness of equating the two parties on any moral playing field. None of our politicians or parties are perfect. That doesn't negate the basic values of each party. And the core values of the Republican party seem to be centered around white supremacy, patriarchy, rule by oligarchy, and an ends-justify-the-means of ruling from the minority by hook or by crook. Rule number one is tax cuts for the rich. Rule number two screw everyone else and make them pay for those tax cuts. Rule number three, make sure Democrats, women, people of color, LGTBQ and the poor have no voice in trying to change Rule number one and two. Rule number four, blame all the problems they created on Democrats, women, poor, people of color, immigrants etc. in order to divide and conquer, making it even easier for them to pick your pocket. Rule number five, never ever accept responsibility for those problems, never apologize or admit mistakes and never propose any actual solutions to those problems except more tax cuts and less regulation. Lather, rinse, repeat.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:31 pm    Post subject:

Trump just double-downed on his disastrous Chinese tariffs:

NYT: Trump Says He Will Raise Existing Tariffs on Chinese Goods to 30%

Quote:
President Trump said he would increase taxes on all Chinese goods and demanded that American companies stop doing business with China as his anger toward Beijing and his Federal Reserve chair boiled over on Friday.

Twelve hours after China said it would retaliate against Mr. Trump’s next round of tariffs by raising taxes on American goods, Mr. Trump said he would boost existing tariffs on $250 billion worth of Chinese goods to 30 percent from 25 percent on Oct. 1.

And he said the United States would tax another $300 billion worth of Chinese imports at a 15 percent rate, rather than the 10 percent he had initially planned. Those levies go into effect on Sept. 1.

“China should not have put new Tariffs on 75 BILLION DOLLARS of United States product (politically motivated!),” Mr. Trump tweeted. “Starting on October 1st, the 250 BILLION DOLLARS of goods and products from China, currently being taxed at 25%, will be taxed at 30%.”

In a series of angry Twitter posts earlier in the day, Mr. Trump called for American companies to cut ties with Beijing and said the United States would be economically stronger without China. Those comments sent stocks plunging, helping push the market to its fourth straight weekly loss. The president also called the Fed chair, Jerome H. Powell, an “enemy” of the United States and compared him to President Xi Jinping of China, his trade nemesis, after Mr. Powell declined to signal an imminent cut in interest rates.

Mr. Trump has been counting on Mr. Powell to help blunt the impact of his trade war by cutting interest rates to keep the economy humming. While Mr. Powell said on Friday that the Fed could push through another cut if the economy weakened further, he suggested that the central bank’s ability to limit economic damage from the president’s trade war was constrained.

“My only question is, who is our bigger enemy, Jay Powell or Chairman Xi?” the president tweeted.

Mr. Trump’s tariff announcement came after financial markets had closed for the day. But his earlier response to China had already unnerved investors, who worry that the trade war between the world’s two largest economies will further drag down global growth. Stocks fell sharply on Friday, with the S&P 500 closing down 2.6 percent. The Dow Jones industrial average was down slightly more than 2 percent and the technology-heavy Nasdaq index fell 3 percent.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:42 pm    Post subject:

2020 for RBG, must win, nothing else to say. A 6 - 3 for a generation will be disastrous to put it mildly
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: One Koch brother down . . .

ribeye wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:

You're on a role. It is funny, not in the ha ha, how the worst sometimes brings out the best in us.

goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:40 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:

Of course not. EVERYONE likes tax cuts, but we must function as a society of the many, with many points of view. As such, if we want an infrastructure, or as some do, get into all these wars and skirmishes, or help the needy, as does a civilized society, or protect our environment, workers, and consumers, we must pay our share.

And tax cuts NEVER benefit those of us who really need it. It allows billionaires to become super billionaires. And then they feel entitled to what the government gives them, and scoff at the rest of us who are left with nothing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:38 am    Post subject:

20,000 wrote:
ribeye wrote:

And tax cuts NEVER benefit those of us who really need it. It allows billionaires to become super billionaires. And then they feel entitled to what the government gives them, and scoff at the rest of us who are left with nothing.

And then buy as many MORE resources they can because they bankrupted the country and its citizens. Republicans are economic terrorists. Poverty, Separation, and Hatred are what they do best.

They prey on the weakest links in our human psychology. They lack shame and empathy. This is why they are terrorists. They use fear to destroy the culture and stand back and watch it burn..

In what world ever can a fellow human being imagine a political system that THRIVES on taking as much away from the sick/poor/common man to give it to people who are already wealthy?
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:47 am    Post subject:

And there is one thing that is starting to really make me intellectually angry.. but still confused

Why do Politicians own control of soil/water/air/natural resources??

Politicians come and go and some are the worst humans beings evolution ever created...

The whole Earth needs our help and then you have Bolsonaro who wants
primitive peoples murdered and the Amazaon ripped of its resources
as fast as possible

(bleep) like Trump who destroy every office we have
that protects citizens and the part of the earth they live on..
knowingly changing laws so 1000's more people die every year
of breathing disorders?
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:03 pm    Post subject:

Well-put/succinct NYT reader take:

Phillip Usher
California, Aug. 12

Trump's core base and rally enthusiasts are largely dead enders who've given up all hope of ever seeing any improvement in their lives, under Trump or anyone else. They're down to loving Trump just because he hurts and attacks the people they hate. Once he's gone, no telling what these types will do.

Another. Burning ants is a good line. Sprinkling salt on snails could've worked, too.

William Ostrander
San Luis Obispo, Aug. 12

Times Pick
This administration is like a little boy burning ants with a magnifying glass and telling people they're just trying to see them better.

The administration's daily onslaught of insensitivity, cruelty, and sheer stupidity makes me feel depressed and ashamed. Somebody please show these people the Iron Eyes Cody commercial from the 70's on a loop.

greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:41 pm    Post subject:

The best hope to unseat Trump doesn't know which state he's in... (Bob Dole, anyone?)

I wonder when Bloomberg gets in.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:52 pm    Post subject:

okay. I'm just going to have my favorite beer after this one. It's called lotsa.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:31 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
okay. I'm just going to have my favorite beer after this one. It's called lotsa.

I'd say it's getting surreal, but we past that point at least two years ago.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:07 pm    Post subject:

Canada's gonna get nuked . . .
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:14 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Canada's gonna get nuked . . .

CUCk BTFO
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:08 pm    Post subject:

Napalm volcanoes, carpet bomb floods.

#kikanga2020
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:58 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

#kikanga2020

You are such a limp noodle.
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: One Koch brother down . . .

Hector the Pup wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
adkindo wrote:
You perfectly represent your people on the far left.

Portions of the right and the left are mirror images. The left has its “deplorables,” its bigots, and its sexists. I liked the Sarah Silverman line about “righteousness porn.” It’s so true.

Oh goody. Another 'both sides'.

Deal with it.

I am. Fortunately I stopped laughing long enough to type a response to something so completely absurd.

Nothing is perfect in this world except mathematics.
There are fringe on both sides, so what he says is accurate.

But the difference is, is the size of the fringe on the right and the left and what is defined as "reasonable".

Right now, the right side, the "fringe" has become the norm as most of the GOP accept trump the way he is. Defending racists has become the norm on the GOP side as it has permeated through the main GOP and it's accepted by most.

The GOP does one thing amazingly well, that the DNC can never do: get everyone to toe the line, even if it is to go eat horse poop for trump.

The DNC? Not so much. If the DNC does take the Senate in 2020, it would also be time to play hardball like what McConnell does on a daily basis.
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: One Koch brother down . . .

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Yeah, yeah. “Vapid statements.” You and the snowflake posse are patting each other on the back in a thread that celebrates the death of a law abiding American citizen because you didn’t like his politics. You should be ashamed of yourselves, but instead you’re going to indulge in more righteousness porn. Knock yourselves out.

I do like that you're on the conservative side, but there are a few things I do disagree with: "Law abiding" doesn't say a whole lot to me when he so heavily influenced what is the law. Citizen's United means that all that was illegal is now "legal". Money gets you really far in terms of what legal is and he did it. Corporations are somehow _people_ and have many more protections than people.

Most people celebrated the passing of Hitler, right? He did everything in his country "legally"? He might have broken international law, but internally, it was all "legal"?

I don't like his politics of how he perceives humans and death. It's _ok_ for others to have no or bad health coverage. It's _ok_ to block anything about climate science and climate change even though we know the consequences are horrible. It's a _human_ thing and not about politics. Seriously, how did science become so damn political? The GOP is still fighting the science behind evolution and for more bible based s**t to be in classrooms in one form or another. Or worse, they "homeschool", and get ass backwards information.

Yeah, I hate the guy because he contributed to this serious BS and was _happy_ to make the world worse.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:53 am    Post subject:

tlim wrote:

Nothing is perfect in this world except mathematics.
There are fringe on both sides, so what he says is accurate.

But the difference is, is the size of the fringe on the right and the left and what is defined as "reasonable".

Right now, the right side, the "fringe" has become the norm as most of the GOP accept trump the way he is. Defending racists has become the norm on the GOP side as it has permeated through the main GOP and it's accepted by most.

The GOP does one thing amazingly well, that the DNC can never do: get everyone to toe the line, even if it is to go eat horse poop for trump.

The DNC? Not so much. If the DNC does take the Senate in 2020, it would also be time to play hardball like what McConnell does on a daily basis.

Absolutely. The "herdin' cats" aspect of the Democratic base is well known, as they are just a different breed of cat, with independent thought and with the use of facts, knowledge and science, as a basis.

I am of two minds on how far to retaliate against the Trumplicans and the Mc-con-alls. It would be nice to blow up the filibuster but what that will likely mean is that we will go back and forth on taxes, where right now the Democrats have an advantage as lowering them (thus raising debt) can only be done for 10 years due to reconciliation. If, in the future, when Republicans want to spend more for the military, or Democrats want to spend on a number of the many programs they want to institute, it will be far easier. This only increases the ever-increasing debt and deficits and I care about the debt, as our life style today will become the burden of our children--unless the expense if offset by a future benefit such as infrastructure or trying to get a handle on climate change.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:34 am    Post subject:

Monmouth Poll: Bernie, Warren surge to tie Biden atop Democratic field

Quote:
Dave Weigel @daveweigel

New national Monmouth poll:

Sanders: 20% (+6)
Warren: 20% (+5)
Biden: 19% (-13)!
Harris: 8% (-)
Booker: 4% (+2)
Buttigieg: 4% (-1)
Yang: 3% (+1)
Castro: 2% (+2)
O’Rourke: 2% (-1)
Williamson: 2% (+1)

Quote:
Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren have surged to tie with Joe Biden atop the Democratic presidential field, according to a poll that suggests the three are solidifying their status as the top tier in the massive field.

The Monmouth University poll, released Monday, shows Sanders and Warren deadlocked among Democratic voters at 20 percent, with Biden a point behind, at 19 percent. No other candidate cracks double digits: Kamala Harris is in fourth place, at 8 percent.

Compared with the Monmouth poll in June, Sanders has ticked up 6 points, and Warren 5 points. Biden dropped 13 points, from 32 percent in June.

The poll shows Biden’s slippage coming across the Democratic electorate, rather than from a specific demographic or ideological group. He is down 14 points among white and nonwhite voters. He’s down 14 points among men, and 13 points among women. He’s down 15 points among voters younger than 50 years old, and 9 percent among voters 50 and older.

Biden also slipped 18 points among Democratic voters who described themselves as moderate or conservative, and 9 points among self-identified liberals.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:10 am    Post subject:

I cannot deny Bernies effort/commitment/benevolence
Helping the unpaid coal miners in Kentucky get some coverage and some pizza
Now AT&T strikers

Showing Labor he is going to listen
Telling the world he is happy to be hated by Billionaires
Exposing health insurance spending hundreds of millions to destroy medicaid/obamacare

I wish Warren/Pete/Bernie could all morph into Wonder Woman/Alfred E Newman/Capt Caveman

Have to be cautious not to play timid and just be factual with attacks--attack constantly.. drain him..
that is what he plans to do....

I think we should get a Donald Trump voice over to talk back to him with..
Even just robotically repeat his facebook crap he posted about Obama ..
that was all projection..
live stream it 24x7 but have him saying the (bleep) to himself about himself.. Trump of the past attacks Trump now..

>>IF Donald Trump is not Impeached before the elections.. HE WILL NOT LEAVE..

Russia knows our laws better than we do.. Trump pulled that emergency powers (bleep) with "I hereby order you to leave china..
" from his russian orders

What odd law(s) is/are there he can use to keep himself in office
.. .He isn't stupid.. he is just smart in being unkind sleazy racist hateful WELFARE QUEEN...
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:26 am    Post subject:

FWIW, the thought was crossing my mind..

Donald Trump the wannabe RealityTV Star

I think the violence at his pre-election rallies was staged by Donald Trumps team to check on his base
.. rile them up.. (bleep) those peace lovers.. socialists gonna
steal your guns/money .. yee haw..

So, I came across this quote while searching on info about the victims/attackers

Quote:
Trump has been dismissive of the many who criticize him for inciting violence against protesters at his rallies.
He has instead blamed the violence on "thugs" and "professional protesters."
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-supporter-tony-pettway-arrested-assault-active-duty-air-force/

Trump sucks at realizing we know nearly his every word about an enemy is him projecting... "Professional Protestors"
Like the ones he hires
https://www.cheatsheet.com/money-career/how-much-does-trump-pay-people-to-cheer-at-his-rallies.html/
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:33 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
kikanga wrote:

#kikanga2020

You are such a limp noodle.

Unlike other elected officials. I listen to my constituencies. You're right!

Wrap small pox blankets around tornadoes. Gas Tsunamis.

I'm willing to do whatever it takes to keep America safe again. No limp noodle here. I'll do what it takes. kikanga#2020
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1672, 1673, 1674 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next
Page 1673 of 3663
Jump to: