THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1777, 1778, 1779 ... 3668, 3669, 3670  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:05 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Highlights/lowlights from Mulvaney press conference:

Yes it was a quid pro quo, so what?
There is always politics in foreign policy decisions, get over it.
Trump decided to hold the G7 summit at his Doral golf club and that's completely normal and not corrupt at all. Why wouldn't he hold it there?
And he wants to invite Putin.

but . . . but . . . but, how about something really serious . . . how about Biden's son taking a job for a Ukrainian firm???

(I thought I'd beat the usual suspects to this.)
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:53 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Trump decided to hold the G7 summit at his Doral golf club and that's completely normal and not corrupt at all. Why wouldn't he hold it there?

but . . . but . . . but, how about something really serious . . . how about Biden's son taking a job for a Ukrainian firm???

(I thought I'd beat the usual suspects to this.)

Maybe if we focused on the real crime here, which is clearly a shockingly blatant case of nepotism by Biden, instead of chasing witches, we'd be in a much better place.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:24 pm    Post subject:

Puts a tear of deep admiration in my eye
Thank You Sir!

Hopefully this FIRES UP SOME MORE UNSELFISH PUBLIC SERVICE

Elijah Cummings 'signed subpoenas from his hospital bed' for Trump impeachment before his death
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/elijah-cummings-trump-impeachment-death-subpoena-house-investigation-baltimore-a9160436.html
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:01 pm    Post subject:

He walked with the great Martin Luther King. His voice will be sorely missed RIP Elijah Eugene Cumming.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:36 pm    Post subject:

Unfortunately, Rick Perry is going to be stepping down as SOE.

It's going to be really hard to find someone to replace his unique knowledge of the department. They might even have to settle for someone who knows what falls under the departments purview.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:44 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
Unfortunately, Rick Perry is going to be stepping down as SOE.

It's going to be really hard to find someone to replace his unique knowledge of the department. They might even have to settle for someone who knows what falls under the departments purview.

#TheBestPeople
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:11 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Yep, in light of the House impeachment hearings, the Trump camp realize that the previous lies are now transparent. The new strategy is exactly that, so what if Trump wants to tie aid to the political extortion of a rival, cover Russian interference with a falsified Ukrainian admission of guilt, oh... and not even tell the Ukrainians on a timely basis that was his game plan. The Ukrainians were checking their bank accounts and wondering why there was a delay. They only found out about the delay through Rudy Giuliani, who isn't even a federal employee, and who quite possibly received funds from a foreign government without registering as a foreign agent. Maybe the name Paul Manafort slipped from his fine legal mind. Further, if this is so legit, why was the Trump Administration going through the back channel by using Rudy and burying transcripts?

The key here is that Trump was making the Ukrainians panic. There are only two scenarios, both of which help Trump AND Putin:

1. Ukraine doesn't comply to extortion, Putin either annexes more land adjacent to Crimea or forces a cease-fire on his terms,

2. Ukraine unwillingly manufactures dirt on Biden's son, and pretends that they were behind election interference in 2016. The interesting question is how were they going to get the contents of Hillary's server in order to prove it. Why isn't anyone connecting the dots on that little gem?

How has this server story been kept off the media by the media and why
I read it first night the story broke but only on some quality independent sites..

This story is bigger than "digging up dirt" on Biden.. <<<The Cover for allll of this (bleep) in Ukraine..

Why isn't the media all over this and asking why they would do this to an ally again.. Ukraine is US Ally but not Russian Ally..

Tried to get Ukraine to lie to the world to take the fall for Russia..
WHY?

Why aren't people in the know more bothered that this nut has all this power.. why don't they spill the beans.. he is (bleep) dangerous beyond anything we can imagine
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:41 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:

Mulvaney has released a statement denying he said what he said earlier:

“Let me be clear, there was absolutely no quid pro quo between Ukrainian military aid and any investigation into the 2016 election.”
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:43 pm    Post subject:

And now Mulvaney is walking it back, blaming the Press. Dick Mulvaney or is just Dick or is his first name Whata and his last name Dick? Or is it now, what a Mulvaney! Can I say what a Dick? If I can, What a Dick! If I can't then, never mind, I never said it.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:47 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:

How many days do you give Mulvaney?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:00 pm    Post subject:

NYT Opinion: Our Republic Is Under Attack From the President

Quote:
By William H. McRaven, Admiral McRaven is a former commander of the United States Special Operations Command.

Quote:
If President Trump doesn’t demonstrate the leadership that America needs, then it is time for a new person in the Oval Office.

Quote:
Last week I attended two memorable events that reminded me why we care so very much about this nation and also why our future may be in peril.

The first was a change of command ceremony for a storied Army unit in which one general officer passed authority to another. The second event was an annual gala for the Office of Strategic Services (O.S.S.) Society that recognizes past and present members of the intelligence and Special Operations community for their heroism and sacrifice to the nation. What struck me was the stark contrast between the words and deeds heralded at those events — and the words and deeds emanating from the White House.

Quote:
Later that week, at the O.S.S. Society dinner, there were films and testimonials to the valor of the men and women who had fought in Europe and the Pacific during World War II. We also celebrated the 75th anniversary of D-Day, recognizing those brave Americans and allies who sacrificed so much to fight Nazism and fascism. We were reminded that the Greatest Generation went to war because it believed that we were the good guys — that wherever there was oppression, tyranny or despotism, America would be there. We would be there because freedom mattered. We would be there because the world needed us and if not us, then who?

Quote:
For everyone who ever served in uniform, or in the intelligence community, for those diplomats who voice the nation’s principles, for the first responders, for the tellers of truth and the millions of American citizens who were raised believing in American values — you would have seen your reflection in the faces of those we honored last week.

But, beneath the outward sense of hope and duty that I witnessed at these two events, there was an underlying current of frustration, humiliation, anger and fear that echoed across the sidelines. The America that they believed in was under attack, not from without, but from within.

Quote:
But, if we don’t care about our values, if we don’t care about duty and honor, if we don’t help the weak and stand up against oppression and injustice — what will happen to the Kurds, the Iraqis, the Afghans, the Syrians, the Rohingyas, the South Sudanese and the millions of people under the boot of tyranny or left abandoned by their failing states?

If our promises are meaningless, how will our allies ever trust us? If we can’t have faith in our nation’s principles, why would the men and women of this nation join the military?

Quote:
President Trump seems to believe that these qualities are unimportant or show weakness. He is wrong. These are the virtues that have sustained this nation for the past 243 years.

Quote:
And if this president doesn’t understand their importance, if this president doesn’t demonstrate the leadership that America needs, both domestically and abroad, then it is time for a new person in the Oval Office — Republican, Democrat or independent — the sooner, the better. The fate of our Republic depends upon it.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:46 pm    Post subject:

This election model says 2020 is 'Trump's to lose'

Quote:
All three of Moody's models -- the "pocketbook model," the "stock market model" and the "unemployment model" -- are, as you might have figured out from their names, based in some medium-to-large part on the state of the economy. And because the economy remains by most measures strong, the Moody models see Trump as a favorite.

(Worth noting: The Moody model has only missed the Electoral College winner one time in its existence. That election? 2016.)

I know, this seems impossible but so did 2016.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:48 pm    Post subject:

The economy will most likely be sluggish throughout 2020, assuming there's no recession.
paymonM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:37 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Mulvaney has released a statement denying he said what he said earlier:

“Let me be clear, there was absolutely no quid pro quo between Ukrainian military aid and any investigation into the 2016 election.”

"let me be clear, I did not say what I just said 5 minutes ago "
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:17 pm    Post subject:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-russia-warcrimes-convention/russias-putin-revokes-geneva-convention-protocol-on-war-crimes-victims-idUSKBN1WW2IN

Thanks Trump
World News
October 17, 2019 / 11:25 AM / Updated 13 hours ago
Russia's Putin revokes Geneva convention protocol on war crimes victims

While Putin was afraid of a Woman
a fat rich overprivileged white man has nearly set the world ablaze and been Putins Personal Terrorist
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:55 pm    Post subject:

Trump is still trying to collect citizenship data for redistricting
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/10/17/20918989/trump-2020-census-citizenship-data-redistricting-drivers-license
Quote:
The Census Bureau announced Tuesday that it has asked states to voluntarily turn over driver’s license records, which typically include citizenship data, to determine the citizenship status of the US population.

What a bunch of Fascists..
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:22 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
The economy will most likely be sluggish throughout 2020, assuming there's no recession.

Sluggish would be optimistic.

A crash was expected before the president completely lost his bleep during a time of crazy levels of uncertainty on a global level that he started. Now that he has? Oy vey.

Go figure
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:29 am    Post subject:

This is how you flex, check the author...

https://www.wsj.com/articles/turkey-is-stepping-up-where-others-fail-to-act-11571093850
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:34 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:

Quote:
All three of Moody's models -- the "pocketbook model," the "stock market model" and the "unemployment model" -- are, as you might have figured out from their names, based in some medium-to-large part on the state of the economy. And because the economy remains by most measures strong, the Moody models see Trump as a favorite.

(Worth noting: The Moody model has only missed the Electoral College winner one time in its existence. That election? 2016.)

The way I read this is Moody's projects based on certain combinations of economic factors, but doesn't account for when those factors are overwhelmed by noise.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:47 am    Post subject:

So at what point is Trump going to just paint the White House Gold, and stick one of the ghastly "Trump Towers" sign over it?

While he's at it, all our military will wear Trump clothing too.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:03 am    Post subject:

Jesus christ. The guy's twitter feed reads like a Nazi blueprint.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:51 am    Post subject:

I do want to join the president in celebrating the first female space walk though!*

*it actually isn't. several females have done EVAs in the past. But hey, at least he got the gender and location right this time!
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:56 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
ribeye wrote:

Quote:

The way I read this is Moody's projects based on certain combinations of economic factors, but doesn't account for when those factors are overwhelmed by noise.

And I'm not sure how they don't take into account an incumbent whose popularity has never broken 50%, who is an obvious and unapologetic grifter, criminal, race-baiting ignoramus whom well over 50% of the country thinks should be both impeached and removed from office. But other than that...
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:58 am    Post subject:

Hillary Clinton appears to suggest Russians are 'grooming' Tulsi Gabbard for third-party run

Former Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton said Friday the Russians are currently "grooming" a Democrat running in the presidential primary to run as a third-party candidate and champion their interests.

The comment appears to be directed at Hawaii Rep. Tulsi Gabbard, who has been accused of being cozy with Russia in the past.

"I'm not making any predictions, but I think they've got their eye on somebody who is currently in the Democratic primary and are grooming her to be the third-party candidate," Clinton said, speaking on a podcast with former Obama adviser David Plouffe. "She's the favorite of the Russians."

Clinton never names Gabbard, but there are only five women running for President -- Gabbard, California Sen. Kamala Harris, Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren, Minnesota Sen. Amy Klobuchar and author Marianne Williamson -- and none of the other woman have been accused of being boosted by Russia.

"They have a bunch of sites and bots and other ways of supporting her so far," Clinton said.

Gabbard and her spokespeople did not respond to questions from CNN.

"If the nesting doll fits," Clinton spokesman Nick Merrill said when asked if the former secretary of state was referring to Gabbard.

I always knew Hilary was a McCarthyist!!
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:34 am    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
Puts a tear of deep admiration in my eye
Thank You Sir!

Hopefully this FIRES UP SOME MORE UNSELFISH PUBLIC SERVICE

Elijah Cummings 'signed subpoenas from his hospital bed' for Trump impeachment before his death
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/elijah-cummings-trump-impeachment-death-subpoena-house-investigation-baltimore-a9160436.html

There go those WARM(?!1...) condolences from Trump.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1777, 1778, 1779 ... 3668, 3669, 3670  Next
Page 1778 of 3670
Jump to: