THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2033, 2034, 2035 ... 3668, 3669, 3670  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:21 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Wilt wrote:
Wilt wrote:
Quinnipiac has polls from Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, and Michigan.

Basically, all Democrats lead Trump in Pennsylvania and Michigan, but Trump leads all Democrats in Wisconsin.

Assuming we can't win any other Trump states, we need all three above. It might come down to Wisconsin. No wonder the Democratic convention is there.

I want to add something to this...

Someone looked at the internals of all three polls. So even though Quinnipiac did all three of them, they did a better job representing the partisan breakdown in Michigan and Pennsylvania than they did in Wisconsin, in which they oversampled Republicans. Which is why Trump not only leads there, but leads by big margins against all Democratic candidates. It made little sense for Trump to lead all Democrats by upper single digits there. He may very well win the state again, but it'll be very close.

I wonder if there is someone in the Dem party we could put on a VP ticket to carry Florida. Does anybody know?

We need a bombshell VP pick, like...Michelle Obama. But, of course, she's almost certainly not going to do that.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:52 am    Post subject:

Would Bernie pick AOC as VP?

No idea if she is allowed to be VP.

If the two top delegate Dems combine as Pres/VP does it help with total votes?
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:07 am    Post subject:

Just imagine 4 years of gutting the Intel/Foreign Affairs/Packing courts/Killing Epstein/Kahshoogi/Iranian General just for fun/Murdering the Kurds/Locking children in cages/Latinos in cages/Allowed to put "Acting" Dolts in ANY position he wants./100s of millions stolen by forcing secret service to pay higher costs to stay at his own hotels/Family members given TOP SECRET security clearance like it is a game.

American Greed created Trump and he will throw America under a Bus or Bombs

The Republicans know they are creating violence via their injustices
If the people can not get recourse through the courts and legal system our Forefathers told us to fight and take the country back.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:09 am    Post subject:

FDR died at age 62 in his fourth term.

John McCain was 72 when he was the Republican nominee in 2008.
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:43 am    Post subject:

I’ve been in Dallas TX all week on business. I haven’t looked at how any of the Democratic candidates fare here, but man, do the people I met dislike Sanders in particular here.

Thinking about why: I think the cost of living is so much less here...you can have what I would classify as a mansion here for between $500k and $800k. The equivalent in LA/OC would cost at least double that (Or much more). They have no state taxes and the lack of state tax seems to have a minimal impact on their lives. Their land is cheap, and it’s endless, and it’s pretty ugly. They are extremely religious.

Honestly, life just seems easier for the middle/upper class than it does in the big cities. Life in the coastal cities is certainly tougher financially. All of this adds up to a pretty significant feeling cultural divide. Intellectually I think we all already know all this, but it’s interesting experiencing it first hand for a week.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:48 am    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
I’ve been in Dallas TX all week on business. I haven’t looked at how any of the Democratic candidates fare here, but man, do the people I met dislike Sanders in particular here.

Thinking about why: I think the cost of living is so much less here...you can have what I would classify as a mansion here for between $500k and $800k. The equivalent in LA/OC would cost at least double that (Or much more). They have no state taxes and the lack of state tax seems to have a minimal impact on their lives. Their land is cheap, and it’s endless, and it’s pretty ugly. They are extremely religious.

Honestly, life just seems easier for the middle/upper class than it does in the big cities. Life in the coastal cities is certainly tougher financially. All of this adds up to a pretty significant feeling cultural divide. Intellectually I think we all already know all this, but it’s interesting experiencing it first hand for a week.

A lot of poor Americans vote for Republicans every two years.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:32 am    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:

I believe this has been mentioned, but AOC is not eligible to be on the presidential ticket as the VP choice because she is not 35 years old. President/VP have to be 35, Senators have to be 30, and a House Rep. has to be 25.

As for your last question, if any candidate does not have the required majority of delegates, that's the brokered convention that will come about. If any one candidate can convince another's delegates to join him or her in order to form a majority, then that candidate could get the nomination. So, in theory, you could see something where the person with the most delegates tries to get one faction in the minority to join him or her in order to clinch the nomination, with the VP slot as the payoff (or something else as a payoff). Or maybe, just maybe if the moderate candidates would reach the majority if they all banded together, you could see some type of deal where two of them make up the entire ticket, or maybe something like if Warren's delegates combined with the moderate candidates sans Bloomberg in order to form a majority, perhaps you could see Warren on the ticket with a moderate. Or a major bombshell (this is crazy unlikely) like Michelle Obama or Hillary Clinton as the brokered candidate of the moderates for president, with one of the moderates currently in this race as the VP choice.

The brokered convention brings about a lot of possibilities. If that did come about, you have to wonder if it would be a terrible choice to not have Bernie on the ticket, given how his voters may react. It was bad enough in '16; just imagine if he actually wins the most delegates and is left off the ticket. (I find it hard to believe that he would accept the VP slot if he's the one that has the most delegates at the convention). Yes, the balance of the Supreme Court, Roe v Wade, the American healthcare system, and climate change are on the ballot, just to name a few things, but try and tell that to a certain percentage of his voters if he's left off the ticket. With that in mind, here are some possible VP picks for Bernie if he leads the ticket...

Sanders and Warren: the all-progressive ticket. And we get a woman!

Sanders and Biden: the all-old-white-guys ticket. And we double dip with Biden as VP! And we get the person still polling best against Trump on the ticket!

Sanders and Bloomberg: the all-old-Jewish-white-guys, neither-of-whom-are-actual-Democrats ticket!

Sanders and Klobuchar or Kamala Harris: the all-US-Senators ticket. And we get a woman, maybe a woman of color!

Sanders and Stacey Abrams: another progressive ticket, and we get a woman of color here.

Sanders and Hillary Clinton: the you-hate-me-and-I-hate-you ticket.

Sanders and Michelle Obama: the winning ticket!
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:55 am    Post subject:

I look forward to proudly telling my future children that Assad gassing Syrian civilians and annihilating all of Idlib was worth it just so I could virtue signal about having read a couple chapters from The Chomsky Reader to own neoliberal imperialist normies online.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:20 am    Post subject:

Poverty Is All About Personal Stress, Not Laziness
Quote:
Economists are starting to accumulate evidence that instead of being indolent layabouts, poor people are harried and frantic. To deal with a world of precarity, where any misstep or piece of bad luck can lead to disastrous consequences, requires a massive amount of cognitive effort. And it’s the stress of that constant effort, rather than bad morals or welfare-inspired laziness, that drives many poor people to make subpar decisions.

Economist Sendhil Mullainathan of Harvard University has been at the forefront of the effort to better understand the challenges of poverty. In 2013, along with co-authors Anandi Mani, Eldar Shafir, and Jiaying Zhao, he published a groundbreaking paper entitled “Poverty Impedes Cognitive Function.” They found that when low-income shoppers in New Jersey thought about their finances, their cognitive performance went down. But that didn’t happen for higher-income subjects. This suggests that stress taxes the mind more than finances. In a second experiment on Indian farmers, they found that cognitive performance is worse before a harvest, when finances are tight.

Mullainathan expanded this result into a general theory of poverty. Scarcity, he believes, begets stress, which leads to bad decisions, which creates even more scarcity. Thus, poor people get trapped in an exhausting but inescapable cycle of precarity.

Link: Bloomboig
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:31 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
I look forward to proudly telling my future children that Assad gassing Syrian civilians and annihilating all of Idlib was worth it just so I could virtue signal about having read a couple chapters from The Chomsky Reader to own neoliberal imperialist normies online.

Assad's just going to carpet bomb a third of Syria and kill a million of his own people while the Western world shrugs its shoulders and imposes new anti-immigration quotas before lining Assad's pockets in 2030 with foreign cash to help "redevelop" Idlib.
Huskers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:21 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Wilt wrote:
Wilt wrote:

Basically, all Democrats lead Trump in Pennsylvania and Michigan, but Trump leads all Democrats in Wisconsin.

Assuming we can't win any other Trump states, we need all three above. It might come down to Wisconsin. No wonder the Democratic convention is there.

Someone looked at the internals of all three polls. So even though Quinnipiac did all three of them, they did a better job representing the partisan breakdown in Michigan and Pennsylvania than they did in Wisconsin, in which they oversampled Republicans. Which is why Trump not only leads there, but leads by big margins against all Democratic candidates. It made little sense for Trump to lead all Democrats by upper single digits there. He may very well win the state again, but it'll be very close.

I wonder if there is someone in the Dem party we could put on a VP ticket to carry Florida. Does anybody know?

I think Val Demings would be an excellent choice.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Val_Demings

She is a former Chief of Police for Orlando, credited for bringing down the crime rates, helps undecided who like law and order. Minority female, which would help bring in both votes for that candidate.
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:37 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
I was talking to a buddy today and we went down an interesting path. That being that Bloomberg, despite what he is saying, isn't running to defeat Trump.

He's running to beat the Dems, especially Bernie and Warren because of their designs to get to the Billionaire's bank accounts.

If he gets the nomination and beats Trumps, he gets power in a Trumpian world where the POTUS can do no wrong and his GOP cronies (we all know he is not really a Dem) back him the way they did Trump.

If he gets the nomination and loses the General, he still wins because there's no one coming for his money - just the opposite.

I've had that feeling as well, at least to some extent. He's not saying he's a democrat. All he is trying to do is knock out the people at the two extremes. He wants status quo...from 5 years ago.

Last edited by Heartburn on Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:40 am    Post subject:

Huskers wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Wilt wrote:
Wilt wrote:

I think Val Demings would be an excellent choice.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Val_Demings

She is a former Chief of Police for Orlando, credited for bringing down the crime rates, helps undecided who like law and order. Minority female, which would help bring in both votes for that candidate.

Yep.

She was great during the impeachment hearings.
Huskers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:54 am    Post subject:

I really hope that after 2020 he is gone, I know it's not likely, but I can dream.

Quote:
1. Congress asks Transportation IG to investigate Elaine Chao's use of her office to benefit Mitch McConnell

2. Transportation IG resigns

3. McConnell controls when/if a new IG is appointed who would continue investigations into his wife

https://twitter.com/CREWcrew/status/1230303575072526337
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:43 am    Post subject:

Huskers wrote:
I really hope that after 2020 he is gone, I know it's not likely, but I can dream.

Quote:
1. Congress asks Transportation IG to investigate Elaine Chao's use of her office to benefit Mitch McConnell

2. Transportation IG resigns

3. McConnell controls when/if a new IG is appointed who would continue investigations into his wife

https://twitter.com/CREWcrew/status/1230303575072526337

Or at least have a Democratic POTUS and a DOJ willing to investigate McConnell's and Chao's corruption.

Last edited by Baron Von Humongous on Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:49 am    Post subject:

So it'd be pretty feasible for President Sanders to structure the Postal Service to provide community banking, right? USPS is in the executive branch, but are there any snags to Sanders ordering his Post Master General to reallocate funds towards lending services? And since Trump has already broken the system, couldn't POTUS Sanders just declare a vague national emergency and redistribute funds from somewhere else in the administration toward USPS?
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:02 pm    Post subject:

Bloomberg up to half billion $ ads, the fawk is goin on, how disillusioned is he. Warren need to stop and frisk him again
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:35 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
ContagiousInspiration wrote:

I believe this has been mentioned, but AOC is not eligible to be on the presidential ticket as the VP choice because she is not 35 years old. President/VP have to be 35, Senators have to be 30, and a House Rep. has to be 25.

As for your last question, if any candidate does not have the required majority of delegates, that's the brokered convention that will come about. If any one candidate can convince another's delegates to join him or her in order to form a majority, then that candidate could get the nomination. So, in theory, you could see something where the person with the most delegates tries to get one faction in the minority to join him or her in order to clinch the nomination, with the VP slot as the payoff (or something else as a payoff). Or maybe, just maybe if the moderate candidates would reach the majority if they all banded together, you could see some type of deal where two of them make up the entire ticket, or maybe something like if Warren's delegates combined with the moderate candidates sans Bloomberg in order to form a majority, perhaps you could see Warren on the ticket with a moderate. Or a major bombshell (this is crazy unlikely) like Michelle Obama or Hillary Clinton as the brokered candidate of the moderates for president, with one of the moderates currently in this race as the VP choice.

The brokered convention brings about a lot of possibilities. If that did come about, you have to wonder if it would be a terrible choice to not have Bernie on the ticket, given how his voters may react. It was bad enough in '16; just imagine if he actually wins the most delegates and is left off the ticket. (I find it hard to believe that he would accept the VP slot if he's the one that has the most delegates at the convention). Yes, the balance of the Supreme Court, Roe v Wade, the American healthcare system, and climate change are on the ballot, just to name a few things, but try and tell that to a certain percentage of his voters if he's left off the ticket. With that in mind, here are some possible VP picks for Bernie if he leads the ticket...

Sanders and Warren: the all-progressive ticket. And we get a woman!

Sanders and Biden: the all-old-white-guys ticket. And we double dip with Biden as VP! And we get the person still polling best against Trump on the ticket!

Sanders and Bloomberg: the all-old-Jewish-white-guys, neither-of-whom-are-actual-Democrats ticket!

Sanders and Klobuchar or Kamala Harris: the all-US-Senators ticket. And we get a woman, maybe a woman of color!

Sanders and Stacey Abrams: another progressive ticket, and we get a woman of color here.

Sanders and Hillary Clinton: the you-hate-me-and-I-hate-you ticket.

Sanders and Michelle Obama: the winning ticket!

Thank you for this. I read it all Appreciated your time given.

Sanders and Michelle would burn all the way to Moscow

They would get to hire EVERY Dem who wanted to be President and let them heal their specialty
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:35 pm    Post subject:

Bernie's also a Russian favorite.

Putin must think he can manipulate both ends of the horseshoe, and given their rabid behavior, he might be on to something.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:36 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Bloomberg up to half billion $ ads, the fawk is goin on, how disillusioned is he. Warren need to stop and frisk him again

look at how many more months are left

People need to start recognizing his motives
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:49 pm    Post subject:

This is not an old article from 2016. This is today. Washington Post: Bernie Sanders briefed by U.S. officials that Russia is trying to help his presidential campaign

Quote:
U.S. officials have told Sen. Bernie Sanders that Russia is attempting to help his presidential campaign as part of an effort to interfere with the Democratic contest, according to people familiar with the matter.

President Trump and lawmakers on Capitol Hill have also been informed about the Russian assistance to the Vermont senator, according to people familiar with the matter, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive intelligence.

It is not clear what form that Russian assistance has taken. U.S. prosecutors found a Russian effort in 2016 to use social media to boost Sanders’s campaign against Hillary Clinton, part of a broader effort to hurt Clinton, sow dissension in the American electorate and ultimately help elect Donald Trump.

“I don’t care, frankly, who Putin wants to be president,” Sanders said in a statement to The Washington Post. “My message to Putin is clear: Stay out of American elections, and as president I will make sure that you do.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:54 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
This is not an old article from 2016. This is today. Washington Post: Bernie Sanders briefed by U.S. officials that Russia is trying to help his presidential campaign

Quote:
U.S. officials have told Sen. Bernie Sanders that Russia is attempting to help his presidential campaign as part of an effort to interfere with the Democratic contest, according to people familiar with the matter.

President Trump and lawmakers on Capitol Hill have also been informed about the Russian assistance to the Vermont senator, according to people familiar with the matter, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive intelligence.

It is not clear what form that Russian assistance has taken. U.S. prosecutors found a Russian effort in 2016 to use social media to boost Sanders’s campaign against Hillary Clinton, part of a broader effort to hurt Clinton, sow dissension in the American electorate and ultimately help elect Donald Trump.

“I don’t care, frankly, who Putin wants to be president,” Sanders said in a statement to The Washington Post. “My message to Putin is clear: Stay out of American elections, and as president I will make sure that you do.

But you're welcome to help out in the primary...
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:56 pm    Post subject:

Over/Under on the amount of time before Bernie's campaign uses this to distance themselves from their followers' actions? Bonus over under on how long until Comrade Greenwald weighs in?
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

Omar Little wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Quote:

But you're welcome to help out in the primary...

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

ChefLinda wrote:

Quote:

Can they hold a Congressional hearing on this? Maybe inform Americans about what signs of disinformation and interference to look for...?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2033, 2034, 2035 ... 3668, 3669, 3670  Next
Page 2034 of 3670
Jump to: