THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2034, 2035, 2036 ... 3671, 3672, 3673  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:02 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Over/Under on the amount of time before Bernie's campaign uses this to distance themselves from their followers' actions? Bonus over under on how long until Comrade Greenwald weighs in?

Bernie Sanders suggested that Russians were impersonating his most aggro supporters. Experts say there’s no evidence for that https://t.co/ornUu6cVYV
— The Daily Beast (@thedailybeast) February 21, 2020

Looks like the answer to 1 was about 30 seconds
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:04 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Over/Under on the amount of time before Bernie's campaign uses this to distance themselves from their followers' actions? Bonus over under on how long until Comrade Greenwald weighs in?

Bernie Sanders suggested that Russians were impersonating his most aggro supporters. Experts say there’s no evidence for that https://t.co/ornUu6cVYV

Yeah, J*rdan Uhl doesn't seem Russian.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:06 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
This is not an old article from 2016. This is today. Washington Post: Bernie Sanders briefed by U.S. officials that Russia is trying to help his presidential campaign

Quote:
U.S. officials have told Sen. Bernie Sanders that Russia is attempting to help his presidential campaign as part of an effort to interfere with the Democratic contest, according to people familiar with the matter.

President Trump and lawmakers on Capitol Hill have also been informed about the Russian assistance to the Vermont senator, according to people familiar with the matter, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive intelligence.

It is not clear what form that Russian assistance has taken. U.S. prosecutors found a Russian effort in 2016 to use social media to boost Sanders’s campaign against Hillary Clinton, part of a broader effort to hurt Clinton, sow dissension in the American electorate and ultimately help elect Donald Trump.

“I don’t care, frankly, who Putin wants to be president,” Sanders said in a statement to The Washington Post. “My message to Putin is clear: Stay out of American elections, and as president I will make sure that you do.

“My message to Putin is clear: Stay out of American elections, and as president I will make sure that you do.

Why wasn't this bolded? Seems to be a proper response. Has he said or done differently and this is not his true actions?
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:08 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
This is not an old article from 2016. This is today. Washington Post: Bernie Sanders briefed by U.S. officials that Russia is trying to help his presidential campaign

Quote:
U.S. officials have told Sen. Bernie Sanders that Russia is attempting to help his presidential campaign as part of an effort to interfere with the Democratic contest, according to people familiar with the matter.

President Trump and lawmakers on Capitol Hill have also been informed about the Russian assistance to the Vermont senator, according to people familiar with the matter, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive intelligence.

It is not clear what form that Russian assistance has taken. U.S. prosecutors found a Russian effort in 2016 to use social media to boost Sanders’s campaign against Hillary Clinton, part of a broader effort to hurt Clinton, sow dissension in the American electorate and ultimately help elect Donald Trump.

“I don’t care, frankly, who Putin wants to be president,” Sanders said in a statement to The Washington Post. “My message to Putin is clear: Stay out of American elections, and as president I will make sure that you do.

Can they hold a Congressional hearing on this? Maybe inform Americans about what signs of disinformation and interference to look for...?

This is what I want Bernie to do.. come out and help clarify what he knows

ALSO.. this should be brought up that 2016 was Russia helping Trump..

People really need to ask him why he has met in secret with Putin every time they are near each other?
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:11 pm    Post subject:

Maybe the real pee tape...was Bernie all along.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:13 pm    Post subject:

Ousted acting spy chief Maguire formally resigns from US government

Trumptator ..hmm

Whats left to protect us?
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:13 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

I don’t know if I can/should punish Bernie or his campaign for Russia.

Quote:

It’s pretty dissimilar to Trump’s relationship with Russia.

But I do hold some of Bernie, his supporters, and Greenwald’s other choices and statements against them though.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:28 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

I don’t know if I can/should punish Bernie or his campaign for Russia.

Quote:

It’s pretty dissimilar to Trump’s relationship with Russia.

But I do hold some of Bernie, his supporters, and Greenwald’s other choices and statements against them though.

It's just another in a long line of things that others are doing on his behalf that he, again, has no idea is happening. Which is great when you're asking people to make you the most powerful and responsible executive in the world.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:42 pm    Post subject:

And here's a video of Bernie responding to why he was briefed a month ago and we're only now hearing about it? (Bernie has apparently known for a month and didn't say anything. If this turns out to not be the case, I apologize in advance, but that's how it's being reported.)

He blames the Washington Post for smearing him one day before the Nevada caucuses:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Tristanshouts/status/1230995621760290816

Sound familiar? He (apparently) hid information from Democratic voters but he's blaming the press for reporting the truth.

Screw this (bleep).

Last edited by ChefLinda on Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:43 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

That may be what the campaign is saying. But I quickly skimmed through some social media pages, and what I've noticed is that many of his supporters are dismissing the story as fake, that the government is trying to stop him as the main anti-establishment candidate.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:44 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
It's just another in a long line of things that others are doing on his behalf that he, again, has no idea is happening. Which is great when you're asking people to make you the most powerful and responsible executive in the world.

I don't know if you're saying Bernie's lying about not knowing about the Russian assistance, or he genuinely was ignorant. But it probably doesn't matter. Neither scenario is good.

I don't think anybody should support or reject a candidate based on Russian interference. 2 major considerations should be policy and who you believe can defeat Trump. And which order one puts on those 2 things is up to their own discretion. I prefer the latter.

Last edited by kikanga on Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:46 pm    Post subject:

If as Democrats we say it's not "okay" for Russia to help Trump, then we can't turn around and pretend it's "okay" if they are helping a Democratic nominee.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:48 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

I don't know if you're saying Bernie's lying about not knowing about the Russian assistance, or he genuinely was ignorant. But it probably doesn't matter. Neither scenario is good.

I don't think anybody should support or reject a candidate based on Russian interference. 2 major considerations should be policy and who you believe can defeat Trump. And which order one puts on those 2 things is up to their own discretion.

I'm saying he has staffers and surrogates and followers and Russian bots and agents doing all kinds of stuff for him and he never seems to own any of it.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:50 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

I've said it before on matters like this. Sure does appear Bernie is either incompetent or very dishonest (that's not to say he can't be both).
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:51 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
If as Democrats we say it's not "okay" for Russia to help Trump, then we can't turn around and pretend it's "okay" if they are helping a Democratic nominee.

I don't think anybody is saying it's okay. Even his supporters. The question is should that mean we shouldn't vote for someone if Russia chooses to aid them online. I wouldn't say that if Russia chose to aid Warren. So I can't say it for Bernie either.

The problem is that it's even possible for Russia to effectively do this.
Not to mention a President asking, coordinating, and quid pro quoing for the Russian aid. None of which is the case for ANY Dem candidate.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:53 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

That may be what the campaign is saying. But I quickly skimmed through some social media pages, and what I've noticed is that many of his supporters are dismissing the story as fake, that the government is trying to stop him as the main anti-establishment candidate.

Like I said, the mirror image of Trump fans.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:53 pm    Post subject:

I don't think we should give Russia the power to both uplift Republican candidates AND destroy Democrat candidates.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:54 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
I don't think we should give Russia the power to both uplift Republican candidates AND destroy Democrat candidates.

Right, we should give them the candidate they want to show them we aren't afraid of them.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

Chris D. Jackson
@ChrisDJackson

How
@BernieSanders
voted on Russia sanctions:

2012 Magnitsky Act - nay
2014 Russia Sanctions - nay
2017 Russia Sanctions - nay
2019 Russia Sanctions - did not vote
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

if Bernie takes the nomination here’s the Trump playbook (section 2)

https://www.newsweek.com/myths-cost-democrats-presidential-election-521044
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:56 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Right, we should give them the candidate they want to show them we aren't afraid of them.

No we shouldn't weigh their opinion at all. I'm just trying to imagine if they supported my preferred candidate and acting accordingly.

Feel like people are working backwards from not wanting him to be the nominee in the first place. I don't want him either. But what I don't want more is seeing the (bleep) that is our party rejecting the possible leader in electoral votes. People think his supporters stayed home in 2016. It would be twice as bad.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:57 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:

But there's no way for the Sanders campaign to stop Russian interference. Trump openly and surreptitiously petitioned Russia for election interference in 2016 (not to mention what he's doing now).
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:59 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Chris D. Jackson
@ChrisDJackson

How
@BernieSanders
voted on Russia sanctions:

2012 Magnitsky Act - nay
2014 Russia Sanctions - nay
2017 Russia Sanctions - nay
2019 Russia Sanctions - did not vote

He's generally an anti-sanctions guy, fwiw. Most of these were dumb, meaningless purity test protest votes.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:00 pm    Post subject:

Look at me defending Bernie. I don't like this one bit.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:06 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Look at me defending Bernie. I don't like this one bit.

On second thought. Bernie is a Russian asset.
And the only answer is he endorses Warren and drops out. She'll unify the party and defeat Trump!!! #Warren2020
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2034, 2035, 2036 ... 3671, 3672, 3673  Next
Page 2035 of 3673
Jump to: