THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2051, 2052, 2053 ... 3671, 3672, 3673  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:48 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
kikanga wrote:
governator wrote:
the cost would then go to middle/middle upper class folks

What is the annual income of these folks in your opinion? And how many of those people do you think exist in this economy?

I only ask because alot of people have misconceptions about the classes. It's not like the upper class, middle class, and lower class are anywhere comparable in population sizes.
This is kinda what I'm talking about:

$80,000 - $150,000 per year.

As of 2017, the median household income in 2 out of 50 states are in that range.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Household_income_in_the_United_States#/media/File:Median_household_income_and_taxes.png
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:56 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
kikanga wrote:
governator wrote:

What is the annual income of these folks in your opinion? And how many of those people do you think exist in this economy?

I only ask because alot of people have misconceptions about the classes. It's not like the upper class, middle class, and lower class are anywhere comparable in population sizes.

As of 2017, the median household income in 2 out of 50 states are in that range.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Household_income_in_the_United_States#/media/File:Median_household_income_and_taxes.png

My assumed figures were pre-tax...
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:58 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
kikanga wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
kikanga wrote:
governator wrote:

I'm talking about pre-tax. Bottom of the chart marks gross income.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:14 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
kikanga wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
kikanga wrote:
governator wrote:

You guys know the figures better than me, I thought median was middle class so about $50G pre-tax/yr and the figure goes up higher in big cities like NYC/SF.
We'll see I guess, Bernie's plans are for the good of the people in general, some just gonna have to pony up more if the big corp successfully fight to pay new taxes
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:26 am    Post subject:

Removed my comment. Omar made my point more clearly than I could, below.

Last edited by kikanga on Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:29 am; edited 3 times in total
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:27 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
kikanga wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
kikanga wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
kikanga wrote:
governator wrote:

You guys know the figures better than me, I thought median was middle class so about $50G pre-tax/yr and the figure goes up higher in big cities like NYC/SF.
We'll see I guess, Bernie's plans are for the good of the people in general, some just gonna have to pony up more if the big corp successfully fight to pay new taxes

Middle class has become an amorphous concept, depending on context. Median is the statistical midpoint, but if you're using that, where would you peg middle to upper middle. Then you factor in stratification of income, and you basically probably get to a point where lower middle through upper middle class probably runs from the 40-50 through 90th percentiles. Upper class would be the top ten percent, and the lower class is probably butting up against half the country. Maybe the bottom 40%
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:48 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
kikanga wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
kikanga wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
kikanga wrote:
governator wrote:

They move their capitalistic slavery to India and then we become a third world country?
We could become a giant prison colony ruled by Russia *wondering if any Russians got to profit off the
Latino Private Prison Profit reform policies?
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:54 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
governator wrote:
kikanga wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
kikanga wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
kikanga wrote:
governator wrote:

Middle class has become an amorphous concept, depending on context. Median is the statistical midpoint, but if you're using that, where would you peg middle to upper middle. Then you factor in stratification of income, and you basically probably get to a point where lower middle through upper middle class probably runs from the 40-50 through 90th percentiles. Upper class would be the top ten percent, and the lower class is probably butting up against half the country. Maybe the bottom 40%

When you start factoring in debt to wealth. Everyone starts falling brackets real quickly. Like the youtube cnbc link I posted above alluded to.

The lie that bothers me most is that people who make high 5 figures or low 6 figures think they have economic interests more aligned with high 6 figure and 7 figure + incomes then the rest of the population.

But some of the blame has to go to Dems. For not making the facts easy to comprehend and readily available.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:28 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Michael Bloomberg called Goldman Sachs bankers his ‘peeps’ and promised to defend them, leaked tape reveals

https://tinyurl.com/s5ng8n7

Everyday Mike makes Biden look like a progressive revolutionary by comparison.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:47 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Quote:
Michael Bloomberg called Goldman Sachs bankers his ‘peeps’ and promised to defend them, leaked tape reveals

And ready to go scorched Earth against Bernie.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/24/mike-bloomberg-prepares-media-blitz-against-bernie-sanders.html
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:51 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Quote:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/24/mike-bloomberg-prepares-media-blitz-against-bernie-sanders.html

So Bloomberg is taking down Biden, Bernie via ads and himself via debate... Pete/Amy/Warren should welcome him. I anticipate a second undressing by Warren tonight
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:56 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Quote:

So Bloomberg is taking down Biden, Bernie via ads and himself via debate... Pete/Amy/Warren should welcome him. I anticipate a second undressing by Warren tonight

Isn't Steyer also on stage tonight? Warren maybe unloads on him.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:03 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
governator wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Quote:

Isn't Steyer also on stage tonight? Warren maybe unloads on him.

forgot about him but he doesn't move any needle, maybe just taking some AA vote from Biden
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:23 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
So apparently Biden is being raked over the coals on social media because of what many are seeing as a gigantic gaffe during a campaign speech in South Carolina last night. He said that he was "running for the United States Senate" and that people should give him a look, and if they don't like him, to "vote for the other Biden." Many are saying that this shows how confused he is and that it's sad and that he's not well, but I've also seen a possible explanation: that he has used this line for years on the stump, since he was a Senator, when campaigning for anything. I don't know if that's true or not, and I don't know where the "other Biden" part comes in. If anyone wants to offer their thoughts on this, please do so. Here's the clip that's going viral:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/joe-biden-speech-senate-south-carolina-democratic-primary-video-election-2020-a9356366.html

This is apparently a selectively edited portion of Biden's standard stump speech in which he talks about would want to say to himself in the past. Basically, "if you could go back and tell your younger self what you know now..."

I saw that too...fake news. We continue to have a problem with the way news works in our country.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:32 pm    Post subject:

Dow has lost 2000 points in the last few days. Trump blames Bernie Sanders.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:13 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:

Sounds like a great time to buy! Trump is making it affordable to invest in the stock market again!
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:22 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:

Yeah, I was thinking about this. There is no question he will blame Sanders, or whoever the Democratic nominee is if the market tanks.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:24 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

The lie that bothers me most is that people who make high 5 figures or low 6 figures think they have economic interests more aligned with high 6 figure and 7 figure + incomes then the rest of the population.

I think it may not be a "lie", but rather, if you're making low 6 figures, you're going to probably be invested in the stock market a little or own a small business or own real estate, and thus have an interest in keeping those investment vehicles as free from taxes as possible.
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:34 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Quote:

Well, I guess we'll see how well paid advertising really works in the modern age. The Sanders Pro NRA add appears to be a classic attack ad, complete with creepy music.

By the way, check out this video: 50 years of attack ad going up to 2012:

kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:44 pm    Post subject:

Mike attacking Bernie won't hurt Bernie. If anything it just feeds into the feedback loop Bernie's supporters use as nourishment.

Bernie supporters like him BECAUSE billionaires don't. If Bloomberg wants a chance to win. He needs to destroy the moderate field and eat all it's voters.
But since everybody running knows a contested convention is more likely to occur than not. The field will remain too large for anybody to catch Bernie.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:00 pm    Post subject:

The 2016 GOP primary tried to teach me something that I didn't realize. I thought it was a Trump specific outcome, but really it showed a larger political truth in the US.

If the field is larger than 3 and the votes are fairly evenly spread out. It doesn't pay to be in the middle. Those on the extremes benefit the most.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:17 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
The 2016 GOP primary tried to teach me something that I didn't realize. I thought it was a Trump specific outcome, but really it showed a larger political truth in the US.

If the field is larger than 3 and the votes are fairly evenly spread out. It doesn't pay to be in the middle. Those on the extremes benefit the most.

and the squeaking wheel gets the grease

Trump has been campaigning since at least 2018. It is really Gross that a human being still listens to him..he is not sane.
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:38 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:

Did Sanders invent the "andromeda strain"?
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:41 pm    Post subject:

JerryWest_44 wrote:
Wilt wrote:

Did Sanders invent the "andromeda strain"?

Does it bern when you pee?
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:41 pm    Post subject:

Bloodbath commences in 20 minutes.
Grab some popcorn. And try to stay out of the splash zone.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2051, 2052, 2053 ... 3671, 3672, 3673  Next
Page 2052 of 3673
Jump to: