THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2160, 2161, 2162 ... 3669, 3670, 3671  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:41 pm    Post subject:

I guess the 65 and over crowd doesn't really want their Medicare taken away and isn't ready sacrifice themselves to COVID-19 for the sake of Trump's economy. Let's hope it holds.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:43 pm    Post subject:

More from the Fox Poll:

Quote:
Vetting of possible Democratic vice presidential candidates will reportedly start soon. The poll asks about the three female senators who also ran for the party’s nomination -- Kamala Harris, Amy Klobuchar, and Elizabeth Warren.

A Biden-Warren ticket bests Trump-Pence by 10 points and is the only ticket tested that puts the Democrats over the 50 percent threshold, 52-42 percent.

The Trump-Pence ticket also trails both Biden-Klobuchar and Biden-Harris tickets by 8 points (both 50-42 percent). The Democratic edge in all three matchups is outside the poll’s margin of sampling error.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:16 pm    Post subject:

eddiejonze wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
eddiejonze wrote:
If only one s*cret s*rvice dude just pulled a "whoopsies..."

I've wondered that a few times man, all it takes is one.

A future American hero.

William Wallace was a terrorist to some.

Trump is now effectively a mass murderer.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:53 pm    Post subject:

What does America look like right now if mandatory voting (like Australia) was implemented 4 years ago?
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:16 pm    Post subject:

eddiejonze wrote:
If only one s*cret s*rvice dude just pulled a "whoopsies..."

I've wondered that a few times man, all it takes is one.

A future American hero.

Could we last 9 months with an interim, who apparently thinks the Flintstones was a documentary?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:33 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
https://www.mediaite.com/politics/aoc-rails-against-corporate-bailout-stimulus-bill-backed-by-every-senate-democrat-there-should-be-shame/

A whole minute of dissent. Wonder if she's still Feeling the Bern or on friendly terms with the fake bailout warrior.

I take it all back. Liz and Bernie really were the same.

No one is pure enough or perfect enough for you, apparently. If that's your standard for other human beings, you're in for a lifetime of disappointment and unnecessary self-inflicted misery. You can't change other people but you can change your own perspective. That doesn't mean you stop fighting for what you believe in, but it means adjusting your expectations when things don't turn out the way you expected. Blaming people who are largely on your side is pointless and self-destructive.

I want my politicians to fight for things THEY claim to believe in, not capitulate for the sake of pragmatism or worry about the scorn they'll endure from moderates. I accept that there's an art to politics. I don't accept that those two are doing it well.

Loyalty should be to policies and principles, not individual people. I think that's where we differ.

Of course, I'm actually commending AOC, who unlike those two blowhards, really had a gun to her head on this. She barely has any power and represents the epicenter of the epicenter.

So basically, you want them to vote to kill or harm millions of people they are fighting for.

No, I want a Senator to put a hold on it and split the bill.

I can’t tell whether you’re so ideologically insulated that you can’t take in basic facts, or whether you just don’t care. But none of what you want is possible.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:43 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
https://www.mediaite.com/politics/aoc-rails-against-corporate-bailout-stimulus-bill-backed-by-every-senate-democrat-there-should-be-shame/

A whole minute of dissent. Wonder if she's still Feeling the Bern or on friendly terms with the fake bailout warrior.

No one is pure enough or perfect enough for you, apparently. If that's your standard for other human beings, you're in for a lifetime of disappointment and unnecessary self-inflicted misery. You can't change other people but you can change your own perspective. That doesn't mean you stop fighting for what you believe in, but it means adjusting your expectations when things don't turn out the way you expected. Blaming people who are largely on your side is pointless and self-destructive.

I want my politicians to fight for things THEY claim to believe in, not capitulate for the sake of pragmatism or worry about the scorn they'll endure from moderates. I accept that there's an art to politics. I don't accept that those two are doing it well.

Loyalty should be to policies and principles, not individual people. I think that's where we differ.

Of course, I'm actually commending AOC, who unlike those two blowhards, really had a gun to her head on this. She barely has any power and represents the epicenter of the epicenter.

So basically, you want them to vote to kill or harm millions of people they are fighting for.

I can’t tell whether you’re so ideologically insulated that you can’t take in basic facts, or whether you just don’t care. But none of what you want is possible.

Debate on a bill was not possible?
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:44 am    Post subject:

During the impeachment hearing back in December, one of the law professor witnesses was trying to use an obvious example to show the inherent corruption in Trump asking Zelinsky to "do us a favor though" before releasing military aid congress had already approved. Here's the example she used:

Quote:
House Judiciary Dems @HouseJudiciary · Dec 4, 2019

Pamela Karlan: “What would you think if, when your governor asked the federal government for the disaster assistance that Congress has provided, the President responded, ‘I would like you to do us a favor.’
I’ll... send the disaster relief once you brand my opponent a criminal.”

Republican lawmakers who voted to let Trump off the hook have as much blood on their hands as Trump and every other administration toady.

link to video
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:46 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

We've already gone through this. If McConnell won't bring a bill to the floor it can't get debated.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:53 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

We've already gone through this. If McConnell won't bring a bill to the floor it can't get debated.

Except the bill was already bought up. The only somewhat valid point Omar has is that the optics would have been bad. Well, change the optics. That's what good senators and communicators do.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:58 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

Except the bill was already bought up. The only somewhat valid point Omar has is that the optics would have been bad. Well, change the optics. That's what good senators and communicators do.

YOU SAID A SENATOR COULD SPLIT THE BILL. NO, ONLY MCCONNELL COULD ALLOW A SPLIT BILL TO PROCEED TO THE FLOOR.

Maybe you should run for Senate and do what no other politician in America is capable of since you are the oracle of all knowledge.

/done with you now
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:04 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

YOU SAID A SENATOR COULD SPLIT THE BILL. NO, ONLY MCCONNELL COULD ALLOW A SPLIT BILL TO PROCEED TO THE FLOOR.

Maybe you should run for Senate and do what no other politician in America is capable of since you are the oracle of all knowledge.

/done with you now

The hold on the bill would be for the purpose of sparking debate and changing (splitting) the bill. Sorry, I thought that was self-explanatory.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:07 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

You said split (I assume you mean cut out the provisions you didn’t like). That’s not possible unless sixty senators want it. And you only have 47. You’re so far into a fantasy that you can’t see basic facts of reality. The only changes they were gonna get was what they got, and frankly, the majority of the bill helps people.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:07 am    Post subject:

I'll let Omar take over because I've run out of patience. We already explained that wasting time and elongating the process would literally cost lives. It's obvious you (gf) don't really care about that.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:09 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

/done with you now

The hold on the bill would be for the purpose of sparking debate and changing (splitting) the bill. Sorry, I thought that was self-explanatory.

Again, this wasn’t going to happen. McConnell, the guy who stonewalled Obama’s Supreme Court pick, wasn’t going to allow a debate on the floor, so a hold would simply kill the bill.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:14 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

You said split (I assume you mean cut out the provisions you didn’t like). That’s not possible unless sixty senators want it. And you only have 47. You’re so far into a fantasy that you can’t see basic facts of reality. The only changes they were gonna get was what they got, and frankly, the majority of the bill helps people.

You realize that $500 billion in corporate welfare is actually $4-6 trillion (Mnuchin or Kramer already accidentally admitted this) after it's leveraged by the Fed?

Since we throwing around insults, I'm continually amazed how average democrats do not want their leaders to fight anything.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:16 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

/done with you now

Again, this wasn’t going to happen. McConnell, the guy who stonewalled Obama’s Supreme Court pick, wasn’t going to allow a debate on the floor, so a hold would simply kill the bill.

You can debate in public. Bernie and Liz are pretty high profile senators.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:18 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

You realize that $500 billion in corporate welfare is actually $4-6 trillion (Mnuchin or Kramer already accidentally admitted this) after it's leveraged by the Fed?

Since we throwing around insults, I'm continually amazed how average democrats do not want their leaders to fight anything.

It’s not an insult, you literally want people to do impossible things to satisfy some sense of ideological purity. Everything you have posited would not work. Because of very simple and easy to understand facts (the republicans hold the senate). And yet you persist in fantasizing. My leaders fought everything, and pulled hundreds of billions for people into the bill. And your heroes went along because they at the end of the day understand reality.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:20 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
I'll let Omar take over because I've run out of patience. We already explained that wasting time and elongating the process would literally cost lives. It's obvious you (gf) don't really care about that.

This is mostly a right wing talking point and framing of the issue, too. There was absolutely no logical or moral reason to tie the biggest corporate bailout in history to hospital funds.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:23 am    Post subject:

Btw, Trump has already flicked away the "oversight".

https://lawandcrime.com/covid-19-pandemic/trump-axed-congressionally-mandated-pandemic-recovery-oversight-with-stimulus-bill-signing-statement/
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:24 am    Post subject:

It's like watching a dog chase it's tail.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:25 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
My leaders fought everything, and pulled hundreds of billions for people into the bill. And your heroes went along because they at the end of the day understand reality.

Your leaders got pants, and because you personally like them, you don't want to admit it. Not trying to be insulting. That's my honest assessment of your take here.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:40 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
My leaders fought everything, and pulled hundreds of billions for people into the bill. And your heroes went along because they at the end of the day understand reality.

Your leaders got pants, and because you personally like them, you don't want to admit it. Not trying to be insulting. That's my honest assessment of your take here.

I believe you, and I believe you believe you’re correct, because you don’t understand how any of this works. And because you’ve made up your mind, no information will penetrate your certainty. That’s the disadvantage if the zealot. And I suspect you’re not in one of the categories of people who don’t have the ability to wait out your foolish notions.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:45 am    Post subject:

Narrator: For the rest of the class, your homework is to study the concepts of confirmation bias and the Dunning-Kruger effect.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:53 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

I believe you, and I believe you believe you’re correct, because you don’t understand how any of this works. And because you’ve made up your mind, no information will penetrate your certainty. That’s the disadvantage if the zealot. And I suspect you’re not in one of the categories of people who don’t have the ability to wait out your foolish notions.

I think I understand this bill pretty well (already explained how you were wrong or naive on the math of it.) And I conceded your point on the optics. All I'm saying is they should challenge the optics, which is zealotry to the beaten down moderate.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2160, 2161, 2162 ... 3669, 3670, 3671  Next
Page 2161 of 3671
Jump to: