THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2161, 2162, 2163 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:02 am    Post subject:

Narrator: Also see transference and projection.

Last edited by ChefLinda on Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:04 am    Post subject:

Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
eddiejonze wrote:
If only one s*cret s*rvice dude just pulled a "whoopsies..."

I've wondered that a few times man, all it takes is one.

A future American hero.

Could we last 9 months with an interim, who apparently thinks the Flintstones was a documentary?

Better than Trump. I'd take 9 months of a Ted Cruz presidency over this.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:09 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
My leaders fought everything, and pulled hundreds of billions for people into the bill. And your heroes went along because they at the end of the day understand reality.

Your leaders got pants, and because you personally like them, you don't want to admit it. Not trying to be insulting. That's my honest assessment of your take here.

I believe you, and I believe you believe you’re correct, because you don’t understand how any of this works. And because you’ve made up your mind, no information will penetrate your certainty. That’s the disadvantage if the zealot. And I suspect you’re not in one of the categories of people who don’t have the ability to wait out your foolish notions.

I think I understand this bill pretty well (already explained how you were wrong or naive on the math of it.) And I conceded your point on the optics. All I'm saying is they should challenge the optics, which is zealotry to the beaten down moderate.

Optics mean (bleep) here. You actually think if some senators go talk to the press Mitch is gonna say OK, you can have your way even though I have the majority? Have you paid no attention to the last decade? They had to negotiate something the White House and senate majority would accept. And hoping to shame Trump or Mitch is and has been a fools errand. They had to trade.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:11 am    Post subject:

Think of it this way: Mitch is almost as intransigent as you. Imagine that the Dems are one of us trying to get a corporate bailout if you were in charge. Never happen, right? Now reverse that. That’s what they were up against. Except Mitch would at least trade.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:13 am    Post subject:

I know Bernie leftists always joke about neoliberals' brains being infected by The West Wing, but that criticism is clearly projection.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:17 am    Post subject:

(bleep) ghouls:
Quote:

NPR
@NPR
The Bureau of Indian Affairs told the Mashpee Wampanoag Tribe that their reservation will be disestablished and their land taken out of trust, per an order from the secretary of the interior, the tribe's chairman has announced.
@WBUR

https://twitter.com/NPR/status/1243946736353148928
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:19 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
My leaders fought everything, and pulled hundreds of billions for people into the bill. And your heroes went along because they at the end of the day understand reality.

Your leaders got pants, and because you personally like them, you don't want to admit it. Not trying to be insulting. That's my honest assessment of your take here.

I believe you, and I believe you believe you’re correct, because you don’t understand how any of this works. And because you’ve made up your mind, no information will penetrate your certainty. That’s the disadvantage if the zealot. And I suspect you’re not in one of the categories of people who don’t have the ability to wait out your foolish notions.

I think I understand this bill pretty well (already explained how you were wrong or naive on the math of it.) And I conceded your point on the optics. All I'm saying is they should challenge the optics, which is zealotry to the beaten down moderate.

Optics mean (bleep) here. You actually think if some senators go talk to the press Mitch is gonna say OK, you can have your way even though I have the majority? Have you paid no attention to the last decade? They had to negotiate something the White House and senate majority would accept. And hoping to shame Trump or Mitch is and has been a fools errand. They had to trade.

You two (you and CL) have unbelievable patience. For that, and since this may be the only one we see in awhile, you both deserve:

Last edited by ribeye on Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:19 am; edited 1 time in total
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:19 am    Post subject:

I know Bernie leftists always joke about neoliberals' brains being infected by The West Wing, but that criticism is clearly projection.

It's funny. I feel like progressive policy is the most empathetic policy for America. Yet a significant portion of its advocates are needlessly belligerent.
It's like a sect of Buddhist monks commencing a bloody war to convert everyone to Buddhism.

Last edited by kikanga on Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:37 am; edited 1 time in total
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:37 am    Post subject:

Not sure if this is political or COVID-19 related. Posted in both threads.

Gov. Gretchen Whitmer Says Medical Vendors Told Not To ‘Send Stuff’ To Michigan

LINK

Quote:
Trump’s willingness to punish a state’s residents amid a pandemic over a feud with a governor appeared evident in a statement at his press briefing Friday. The president said he had instructed Vice President Mike Pence, who heads up the president’s coronavirus task force, not to call the governors of Washington or Michigan. The two states have among the highest number of coronavirus cases in the nation, and Michigan is experiencing a dramatic spike in cases from 350 a week ago to nearly 3,000 Friday.

“I say, ‘Mike, don’t call ... the woman in Michigan. It doesn’t make any difference what happens,’” Trump said.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:38 am; edited 1 time in total
eddiejonze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:38 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

It's funny. I feel like progressive policy is the most empathetic policy for America. Yet a significant portion of its advocates are needlessly belligerent. It's like if a sect of Buddhist monks commenced a bloody war to convert everyone to Buddhism.

Would rather those imaginary monks repeat the actions on Rage against the machine's first album cover.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:38 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

It's funny. I feel like progressive policy is the most empathetic policy for America. Yet a significant portion of its advocates are needlessly belligerent. It's like if a sect of Buddhist monks commenced a bloody war to convert everyone to Buddhism.

My comment was about a lot of fairy tales leftists tell themselves about how they'll come to enact their empathetic policies. It often involves a lot of speechifying, reaching the hearts and minds of salt of the earth Americans to rally behind a compassionate orator who understands the true plight of the people. Sure, they may use terms like "class consciousness" and "Overton window" and "neoliberal shill," but in their heart of hearts they just want a version of Josiah Bartlett who's read Das Kapital once or twice.

If an obstacle like the GOP controlling the Senate and the Presidency appears?

"Change the optics!" "Shift the Overton window!"

Well how do we do that?

"A cool viral clip of Bernie getting angry on the Senate floor. That'll do the trick."
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:49 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

My comment was about a lot of fairy tales leftists tell themselves about how they'll come to enact their empathetic policies. It often involves a lot of speechifying, reaching the hearts and minds of salt of the earth Americans to rally behind a compassionate orator who understands the true plight of the people. Sure, they may use terms like "class consciousness" and "Overton window" and "neoliberal shill," but in their heart of hearts they just want a version of Josiah Bartlett who's read Das Kapital once or twice.

Well how do we do that?

"A cool viral clip of Bernie getting angry on the Senate floor. That'll do the trick."

I don't have a good answer. I'm pretty sure some dissent is involved, though.

Serious question: Did a single senator object to holding hospital funds hostage to secure a corporate giveaway? They all knew it was going on while it was being negotiated, too.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:59 am    Post subject:

Trump speaking at the deployment of the USNS Comfort. He's getting the usual praise. I'm under the impression that praise is at his request for his help. He actually sickens me.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:05 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Well how do we do that?

Serious question: Did a single senator object to holding hospital funds hostage to secure a corporate giveaway? They all knew it was going on while it was being negotiated, too.

Yes. That’s why they got the funds. Most of that stuff wasn’t in the original bill. All of my employees are now getting four months of unemployment at more than they were making at work plus an extra five months of regular unemployment if necessary. And 1200 a person on top of that.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:10 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Well how do we do that?

Yes. That’s why they got the funds. Most of that stuff wasn’t in the original bill. All of my employees are now getting four months of unemployment at more than they were making at work plus an extra five months of regular unemployment if necessary. And 1200 a person on top of that.

I'm actually curious how fast they'll get that. Since, in this right wing framing, we were told speed was a necessity.

Boeing's stock is quickly up, though.

But you still didn't answer my question. Publicly, I mean. Did anyone speak out? Bernie and Warren did not, who frankly are the only two I would expect to.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:22 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Well how do we do that?

I'm actually curious how fast they'll get that. Since, in this right wing framing, we were told speed was a necessity.

But you still didn't answer my question. Publicly, I mean. Did anyone speak out? Bernie and Warren did not, who frankly are the only two I would expect to.

Speak out about what specifically. A bunch of them spoke out about the original bill.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:23 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Well how do we do that?

Am told by state people it will be quick
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:23 am    Post subject:

Can I ask what it is you do?
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:24 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Well how do we do that?

Speak out about what specifically. A bunch of them spoke out about the original bill.

About the immorality of tying a corporate bailout to hospital funds.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:28 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Well how do we do that?

About the immorality of tying a corporate bailout to hospital funds.

A number if them talked about that, but maybe not specifically. But again, do you want to virtue signal or help people. They know who they are dealing with. Both sides wanted something. Either was going to get it without giving to the other. The Dems got a lot because of that.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:45 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

Well how do we do that?

I feel ya.
I think what I'm saying is. Even if you have a great politician delivering the message. The message would still be just as good as the messenger. I think putting the merits of the policy first is the best way forward. As opposed to treasuring individuals on "their side" and stereotyping individuals who don't agree.
Some progressives kinda remind me of why I abandoned my Christian upbringing. Christians not acting Christ-like.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:28 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
@AOC
·
19h
And just like that, the Congressional oversight provisions for the 1/2 TRILLION dollar Wall St slush fund (which were *already* too weak) are tossed away the day the bill is signed.

This is a frightening amount of public money to have given a corrupt admin w/ 0 accountability.

https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1243681726012051456

Quote:
Justin Amash
@justinamash
·
21h
Congress and President Trump put taxpayers on the hook for billions of dollars to United Airlines in exchange for keeping their work force intact at least through September 30.

Immediately after the bill was signed, United announced upcoming layoffs—to begin after September 30.

https://twitter.com/justinamash/status/1243654726685732864

Horseshoe theory?
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:36 am    Post subject:

^AOC has a valid gripe here. The bill was worth passing though for all the good it did.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:37 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Quote:
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
@AOC
·
19h
And just like that, the Congressional oversight provisions for the 1/2 TRILLION dollar Wall St slush fund (which were *already* too weak) are tossed away the day the bill is signed.

This is a frightening amount of public money to have given a corrupt admin w/ 0 accountability.

https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1243681726012051456

Quote:
Justin Amash
@justinamash
·
21h
Congress and President Trump put taxpayers on the hook for billions of dollars to United Airlines in exchange for keeping their work force intact at least through September 30.

Immediately after the bill was signed, United announced upcoming layoffs—to begin after September 30.

https://twitter.com/justinamash/status/1243654726685732864

Horseshoe theory?

So the airlines is paying those people for five months more, at worst?
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:43 am    Post subject:

Huffpost Reporter: Bailout designated for 'Super Rich'

Maybe this zealot can explain it better. Exposes the stupidity of means testing the miniscule $1200.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2161, 2162, 2163 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next
Page 2162 of 3663
Jump to: