THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2165, 2166, 2167 ... 3671, 3672, 3673  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:29 am    Post subject:

You know how they say a picture is worth a thousand words? And video is some exponential amount greater than that. That’s the challenge with Biden repeatedly being on video exhibiting his creepy but not illegal behavior. It has the potential to sway voter emotions and perceptions in ways that an accusation of sexual assault from some stranger against a famous/powerful person in an article does not, even though the latter is significantly worse. It makes it easy for Republicans to claim hypocrisy whenever those on the left rally in support of women in the me too movement.

But...we’re here now. Trump has proven none of this matters if you can deflect the issue and have an enthusiastic base that will vote for you regardless of any of that. Hopefully that is the Biden base in 2020.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:04 am    Post subject:

Remember, Trump/GOP is STILL suing to kill the entire ACA and all pre-existing condition protections for all Americans everywhere. In the middle of a worldwide pandemic, with millions already losing health insurance and trying to buy on the ACA exchange.

You could practically run on just that.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:09 am    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
You know how they say a picture is worth a thousand words? And video is some exponential amount greater than that. That’s the challenge with Biden repeatedly being on video exhibiting his creepy but not illegal behavior. It has the potential to sway voter emotions and perceptions in ways that an accusation of sexual assault from some stranger against a famous/powerful person in an article does not, even though the latter is significantly worse. It makes it easy for Republicans to claim hypocrisy whenever those on the left rally in support of women in the me too movement.

But...we’re here now. Trump has proven none of this matters if you can deflect the issue and have an enthusiastic base that will vote for you regardless of any of that. Hopefully that is the Biden base in 2020.

Just like people know who Trump is, people know who Biden is. Biden is a return to normalcy. Trump is 4 more years of chaos. After this pandemic kills a quarter million of our fellow Americans, ya think people might want normalcy back?
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:50 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Surfitall wrote:

Just like people know who Trump is, people know who Biden is. Biden is a return to normalcy. Trump is 4 more years of chaos. After this pandemic kills a quarter million of our fellow Americans, ya think people might want normalcy back?

One would think so, and yet his approval rating has been climbing so far based on his handling of this crisis, which is astonishing.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:56 am    Post subject:

^
Historically speaking, it's still bad for a major crisis. Since early March, his approval has increased by about 3 percent. And it actually has started declining slightly in the last few days. And it hasn't translated into favorable numbers in general election matchups, as he's losing to Biden and Sanders.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:58 am    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Surfitall wrote:

One would think so, and yet his approval rating has been climbing so far based on his handling of this crisis, which is astonishing.

It's disheartening but I think it's a temporary "rally round the flag" thing. As the bodies pile up and people are stuck in their homes the realty can't help but catch up. Also the coronavirus has been slower to hit the red states but as Nate Silver at 538 posted today, it's actually growing faster now in the red states vs blue states.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:00 am    Post subject:

AOC breaks with Bernie on how to lead the left
The congresswoman is declining to back primary challengers following in her footsteps — and working within the system in Congress.

Over the past few weeks, Ocasio-Cortez has also chided Sanders supporters for online harassment and delivered soft critiques of Sanders and some of his allies for being too “conflict-based.” The moves have drawn surprise praise from some moderate and veteran Democrats.

“The Democratic Party is the party of coalitions, not a cult,” said James Carville, a top strategist for Bill Clinton’s 1992 campaign and vocal critic of Sanders during the primary. “I’ve observed her. I think she’s really talented, that she’s really smart. Maybe she is — I don’t speak for her — coming to the conclusion that she wants to be part of the coalition.”

goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:06 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Dave Weigel @daveweigel
One of the smarter things Biden did this year was a January 27 op-ed about Trump potentially bungling the pandemic response. This was before the Iowa caucuses, during impeachment; Biden made it harder to claim nobody could have acted faster.

USA Today, January 27, 2020, By Joe Biden: Trump is worst possible leader to deal with coronavirus outbreak

Quote:
The possibility of a pandemic is a challenge Donald Trump is unqualified to handle as president. I remember how Trump sought to stoke fear and stigma during the 2014 Ebola epidemic. He called President Barack Obama a “dope” and “incompetent” and railed against the evidence-based response our administration put in place — which quelled the crisis and saved hundreds of thousands of lives — in favor of reactionary travel bans that would only have made things worse. He advocated abandoning exposed and infected American citizens rather than bringing them home for treatment.

Trump’s demonstrated failures of judgment and his repeated rejection of science make him the worst possible person to lead our country through a global health challenge.

The outbreak of a new coronavirus, which has already infected more than 2,700 people and killed over 80 in China, will get worse before it gets better. Cases have been confirmed in a dozen countries, with at least five in the United States. There will likely be more.

Quote:
Trump has rolled back much of the progress President Obama and I made to strengthen global health security. He proposed draconian cuts to the National Institutes of Health (NIH), the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the Agency for International Development — the very agencies we need to fight this outbreak and prevent future ones.

He dismissed the top White House official in charge of global health security and dismantled the entire team. And he has treated with utmost contempt institutions that facilitate international cooperation, thus undermining the global efforts that keep us safe from pandemics and biological attacks.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:11 am    Post subject:

Pelosi Floats New Stimulus Plan: Rolling Back SALT Cap

Quote:
Ms. Pelosi’s proposal represents “the way to get money into the hands of people who don’t benefit from the $1,200 checks because they make too much money,” said Kyle Pomerleau, a resident fellow at the conservative American Enterprise Institute. “It certainly gets money into hands. But I’m not sure it’s the correct hands.”

Many liberal economic policy analysts also oppose lifting the SALT cap, calling it regressive tax policy. Seth Hanlon, a senior fellow at the liberal Center for American Progress, said the same logic was also a reason not to lift the limit in the next economic rescue bill. That is particularly true because consumption data show that low- and middle-income Americans are more likely than higher earners to spend benefits from the government immediately and stimulate economic activity.

Couldn't make this up.
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:12 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
The congresswoman is declining to back primary challengers following in her footsteps — and working within the system in Congress.

Over the past few weeks, Ocasio-Cortez has also chided Sanders supporters for online harassment and delivered soft critiques of Sanders and some of his allies for being too “conflict-based.” The moves have drawn surprise praise from some moderate and veteran Democrats.

“The Democratic Party is the party of coalitions, not a cult,” said James Carville, a top strategist for Bill Clinton’s 1992 campaign and vocal critic of Sanders during the primary. “I’ve observed her. I think she’s really talented, that she’s really smart. Maybe she is — I don’t speak for her — coming to the conclusion that she wants to be part of the coalition.”

Another perspective on this same topic from Esquire:
https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/politics/a31980770/aoc-break-with-bernie-sanders-democrats-progressives/

"Framing this as AOC “breaking” with Sanders is an easy narrative trope on which to hang a story, but it slights AOC’s time in Congress itself. For a rookie who not long ago was taking drink orders, AOC has proven herself to be an aggressive and informed questioner in committee hearings." "And it also elides the fact that, when Sanders was hospitalized with a heart attack, AOC pretty much became the Sanders campaign, and it can be argued that she rescued it completely. She isn’t “breaking” with Bernie. She’s evolving beyond him, as progressive politics must. Her first re-election is critical to this process. For right now, she’s far more interesting than her detractors, left or right, let on."
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:25 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:

Quote:
Ms. Pelosi’s proposal represents “the way to get money into the hands of people who don’t benefit from the $1,200 checks because they make too much money,” said Kyle Pomerleau, a resident fellow at the conservative American Enterprise Institute. “It certainly gets money into hands. But I’m not sure it’s the correct hands.”

Many liberal economic policy analysts also oppose lifting the SALT cap, calling it regressive tax policy. Seth Hanlon, a senior fellow at the liberal Center for American Progress, said the same logic was also a reason not to lift the limit in the next economic rescue bill. That is particularly true because consumption data show that low- and middle-income Americans are more likely than higher earners to spend benefits from the government alt immediately and stimulate economic activity.

Couldn't make this up.

I did not like the SALT cap because it was Trump punishing blue states.

I do like the SALT cap because it steepens the progressive curve.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:30 am    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Another perspective on this same topic from Esquire:
https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/politics/a31980770/aoc-break-with-bernie-sanders-democrats-progressives/

"Framing this as AOC “breaking” with Sanders is an easy narrative trope on which to hang a story, but it slights AOC’s time in Congress itself. For a rookie who not long ago was taking drink orders, AOC has proven herself to be an aggressive and informed questioner in committee hearings." "And it also elides the fact that, when Sanders was hospitalized with a heart attack, AOC pretty much became the Sanders campaign, and it can be argued that she rescued it completely. She isn’t “breaking” with Bernie. She’s evolving beyond him, as progressive politics must. Her first re-election is critical to this process. For right now, she’s far more interesting than her detractors, left or right, let on."

I get his point, but he is underestimating the animosity the most radical elements of the Bernie movement feel toward anyone that even implicitly challenges Bernie. In the case of AOC, she's a young and talented politician who has seen the writing on the wall and wants a future within the Democratic Party. Large numbers of Bernie's supporters don't care about any of that stuff. I know social media isn't the most accurate reflection of real life, but the most radical elements see no room for compromise, they see no one besides Bernie as being capable of leading the movement forward, they don't understand nor do they care about the internal dynamics of the Democratic Party, they don't care about coalition building, etc. It's Bernie, Bernie, Bernie.
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:53 am    Post subject:

Covid treatments/therapies in the pipeline:

https://www.clinicaltrialsarena.com/analysis/coronavirus-mers-cov-drugs/
eddiejonze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:58 am    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:

If a picture, or lack of a picture (of Bernie NOT. YET. CONCEDING.) is "worth a thousand words" in this case- it's death by a thousand cuts, and far more damaging to the optics, the election, the presidency, the virus, and the fate of the WHOLE. DAMN. WORLD.
What Bernie and his supporters are doing now is far more detrimental than any biden video, story, or gaffe as long as Drumpf gets to do his press conference daily.
I mean, at this point is Bernie and his team waiting to see if Biden Dies of Coronavirus before dropping out?!
Amongst democrats at this point, Any counter point is counter productive but by all means- keep beating that contrarian drum to keep the conversation interesting I guess...
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:46 am    Post subject:

Evergreen Tweet:

Quote:
Hillary Clinton @HillaryClinton Aug 8, 2016

Just imagine Donald Trump in the Oval Office facing a real crisis. We can’t afford that kind of risk
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:56 am    Post subject:

Little Bro and Big Bro. Cuomo and Cuomo. Andrew's praise of Biden should be used in an ad.

Also, Chris tested positive for the virus.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1244796772481994753
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:00 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

Quote:

Many liberal economic policy analysts also oppose lifting the SALT cap, calling it regressive tax policy. Seth Hanlon, a senior fellow at the liberal Center for American Progress, said the same logic was also a reason not to lift the limit in the next economic rescue bill. That is particularly true because consumption data show that low- and middle-income Americans are more likely than higher earners to spend benefits from the government alt immediately and stimulate economic activity.

Couldn't make this up.

I did not like the SALT cap because it was Trump punishing blue states.

I do like the SALT cap because it steepens the progressive curve.

It's electorally popular in some CA, NY, etc. districts they're trying to keep blue.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:12 am    Post subject:

Our GIC (Genius In Charge) Watch all videos especially the last one.

LINK
Quote:

President Donald Trump ended up being off by 28 million people in his estimate of the population of Seoul, South Korea, during a White House Coronavirus Task Force press briefing on Monday.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:16 am    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:

I see the same voices online promoting one conspiracy theory after another throughout the course of this campaign, loosely coordinated around alt-leftist influencers and given a veneer of respectability by alternative media members at the Intercept, in the NYT opinions pages, and elsewhere. Just since Nevada alone I've seen Lis Smith who ran the Buttigieg campaign be accused of running a Nigerian sock puppet account on Twitter, Joe Biden wants to cut social security, Joe Biden is senile, Joe Biden has coronavirus, Joe Biden is dead, Joe Biden has killed voters in Florida, and now Joe Biden is a rapist. I'm not trying to dismiss the woman's claims, but seeing her allegations being reported and amplified by the same people spinning desperately to salvage Bernie's campaign over and over makes it feel like a "BernieBros who cried wolf" situation.

Just a few weeks ago you were soft-pedaling concern over Trump running ads against Biden's record vis-a-vis social security, and while we're not in the general yet and the nation is dealing with a pandemic, it seems like it was just another exaggerated talking point within the echo chamber of Bernie supporter circles that didn't manage to stick.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:25 am    Post subject:

The GOP talking point today is that Impeachment distracted Trump and government from responding to COVID-19. Bur Senator Burr wasn't too distracted to call his broker and dump his stock. And Senator Murphy said he and other Democrats repeatedly offered emergency assistance in February, and Trump administration said, nah, we're good. And Dept of State wasn't too busy to ship 16 tons of medical supplies to China in Feb. (we should help other countries but what happened to "America First?").

Mitch McConnell Blames Impeachment For Trump Coronavirus Incompetence

And here's what Trump was doing instead of focusing on COVID-19 response:

Quote:

Trump held rallies on:
—January 9th
—January 14th
—January 28th
—January 30th
—February 10th
—February 19th
—February 20th
—February 21st
—February 28th

Trump golfed on:
—January 18th
—January 19th
—February 1st
—February 15th
—March 7th
—March 8th

So when your Trump-loving friend/relative/co-worker tries that BS, paste the above.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:30 am    Post subject:

^
Have a feeling that will be their go-to excuse as we approach November.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:35 am    Post subject:

https://tinyurl.com/ueszoby

3 days before he declared a national emergency, he was blowing this thing off. Republicans trying to rewrite history is hilarious.
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:20 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Surfitall wrote:

I see the same voices online promoting one conspiracy theory after another throughout the course of this campaign, loosely coordinated around alt-leftist influencers and given a veneer of respectability by alternative media members at the Intercept, in the NYT opinions pages, and elsewhere. Just since Nevada alone I've seen Lis Smith who ran the Buttigieg campaign be accused of running a Nigerian sock puppet account on Twitter, Joe Biden wants to cut social security, Joe Biden is senile, Joe Biden has coronavirus, Joe Biden is dead, Joe Biden has killed voters in Florida, and now Joe Biden is a rapist. I'm not trying to dismiss the woman's claims, but seeing her allegations being reported and amplified by the same people spinning desperately to salvage Bernie's campaign over and over makes it feel like a "BernieBros who cried wolf" situation.

Just a few weeks ago you were soft-pedaling concern over Trump running ads against Biden's record vis-a-vis social security, and while we're not in the general yet and the nation is dealing with a pandemic, it seems like it was just another exaggerated talking point within the echo chamber of Bernie supporter circles that didn't manage to stick.

I was soft pedaling concerns over Trump running ads against Biden’s record on SS? I think you are confusing me with someone else, or maybe I’m not understanding what you are actually accusing me of. If so, please elaborate.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:26 pm    Post subject:

The Lebrons wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
I am sorry, but if he touched my kid like this I would not play it....Presidential Candidate or not.

Are we serious right now?

Yes, I am completely serious. That type of behavior is beyond creepy, it is just flat out weird.

This guy and Trump are the two choices, that is the best we could come up with out of 330 million Americans, unbelievable.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:01 pm    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Surfitall wrote:

I was soft pedaling concerns over Trump running ads against Biden’s record on SS? I think you are confusing me with someone else, or maybe I’m not understanding what you are actually accusing me of. If so, please elaborate.

I don't feel like wading through the thread for receipts, so I'll assume it was a different poster I won't bother to name.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2165, 2166, 2167 ... 3671, 3672, 3673  Next
Page 2166 of 3673
Jump to: