THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2188, 2189, 2190 ... 3669, 3670, 3671  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:53 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
I support live fact checking his briefings. But I prefer them to still air them.

I disagree. Cover the pertinent points of Trump's comments and air the experts. But in no way should the national media be compelled to air a national Political Rally for Trump.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:14 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
kikanga wrote:
I support live fact checking his briefings. But I prefer them to still air them.

I disagree. Cover the pertinent points of Trump's comments and air the experts. But in no way should the national media be compelled to air a national Political Rally for Trump.

You're right. That's probably the best solution.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:26 pm    Post subject:

If all the networks give Trump free airtime to promote his campaign every day while his opponent gets no exposure and is confined to online messages, THEN WE WILL HAVE A REPLAY OF 2016. Remember 2016 when press had cameras on his empty podium waiting for his rallies to start while Clinton's policy speeches got zero coverage?
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:29 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ribeye wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
In Outreach to Left, Biden Unveils Plans on Medicare and Student Debt

Looking to appeal to Bernie Sanders’s supporters, Joe Biden announced proposals to lower the eligibility age for Medicare to 60 and to expand student debt forgiveness programs.

Since Republicans want to raise the age, good luck with that.

At this point it is far more about trying to unify Dems and the Left than what can actually be brought to bear should Biden win.

It is a good approach from that point of view. When it doesn't get done, there could be a price to pay, however. A lot will depend on how this is framed. I'm an advocate for saying something along the lines of, this is what I want to accomplish, or this is what I hope to do.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:36 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ribeye wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
In Outreach to Left, Biden Unveils Plans on Medicare and Student Debt

Looking to appeal to Bernie Sanders’s supporters, Joe Biden announced proposals to lower the eligibility age for Medicare to 60 and to expand student debt forgiveness programs.

Since Republicans want to raise the age, good luck with that.

At this point it is far more about trying to unify Dems and the Left than what can actually be brought to bear should Biden win.

It is a good approach from that point of view. When it doesn't get done, there could be a price to pay, however. A lot will depend on how this is framed. I'm an advocate for saying something along the lines of, this is what I want to accomplish, or this is what I hope to do.

There's going to be a ton of (bleep) that Biden talks about while campaigning that likely won't get done through now fault of his own. Doesn't mean you shouldn't shoot for it. If Biden resorts to campaigning by playing it safe and sticking to things he knows he can get done, he's toast.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:46 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

No. Would you air Mussolini's ravings if you had a choice?
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:23 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
kikanga wrote:

The only airtime he deserves is that before the guillotine drops or before the stool gets kicked out from under him at the gallows pole. Or whatever it is they do to Traitors and Terrorists nowadays
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:40 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Everything else being the same? Yes. Because it's important to be informed. I don't want to know what Trump says or does even when there is no pandemic. But he affects my life even though I don't support him. I can't put my head in the sand.

I think DMR's solution is the best of both worlds though.

Last edited by kikanga on Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:42 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
If all the networks give Trump free airtime to promote his campaign every day while his opponent gets no exposure and is confined to online messages, THEN WE WILL HAVE A REPLAY OF 2016. Remember 2016 when press had cameras on his empty podium waiting for his rallies to start while Clinton's policy speeches got zero coverage?

I feel ya. I don't want 4 more years of Trump. As long as reporters tell me what he said. I don't need to see and hear those briefings in their entirety.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:00 pm    Post subject:

This article is both political and virus related.

It reveals Trump as Trump is. It's truthfully scary.

Trump and the authoritarianism virus: What the coronavirus has revealed, again, about our president

LINK

Quote:
Another parallel is how Trump pushes off all responsibility onto governors, despite years of “only I can fix it” rhetoric. Putin has practically disappeared as casualties mount in Russia, handing duties — and blame, he hopes — off to the Moscow mayor and others. Autocrats don’t do bad news; they must appear infallible.

Trump enjoys starring in daily COVID-19 press conferences, embracing his role as misinformer-in-chief, giving out erroneous information and praising himself while chastising the media and state leaders.

Quote:
“I don’t take responsibility at all,” Trump said on March 13 of the sluggish U.S. response to COVID-19. Naturally. And so, it will be up to the voters to hold him responsible in November. As Abraham Lincoln, the first Republican president, would remind Trump, possibly the last Republican president, this is a government of the people, by the people, and for the people.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:22 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:

I read somewhere that his aides are telling him that the briefings, which might have helped him initially, aren't helping him anymore. At some point, people that aren't part of his base but have "rallied around the flag" will come to the conclusion that he's full of (bleep) when he says that he's doing a great job while the infection and death counts keep getting bigger.

The Democrats will also have a ton of material they can use if he keeps doing the briefings.

Trump misses his traditional political hate rallies and there's a good chance he'll claim "victory" over the virus prematurely and will abandon the briefings and go back to the rallies and encourage the country to back to normal, which might result in a return of the virus.

I think Biden has done a good job, considering the circumstances. After some initial problems, he has been appearing on traditional media outlets and his use of social media has also been effective. There are some inherent advantages that an incumbent has and Trump is unfortunately the president. There are many things out of Biden's control. But he's leading in the polls and is now the presumptive nominee which will bring more coverage automatically.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:36 am    Post subject:

Obama should just go out and speak for Biden..
Let people know he has Joe's back and will be there with him and us through all of it.

I really think Trumps firing of the USS Theodore Roosevelt could be several of the last nails in his Presidency... imagining the potential of 4000 ANGRY Soldiers. Hopefully these men and women are ready to leave their posts and FIGHT OUR DOMESTIC ENEMY(ies)

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/09/politics/sailor-teddy-roosevelt-unconcious-covid-modly/index.html
Quote:
As of Wednesday, 97% of the Theodore Roosevelt's crew have been tested for the virus and 416 sailors have tested positive, according to the Navy, representing more than 20% of all coronavirus cases within the entire US military.
"We've tested almost the whole crew now. We still have about 1,000 tests to report out. But 3,170 tested negative, 416 tested positive, 187 of those were symptomatic, 229 were asymptomatic. We still have 1,164 pending results," the Vice Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen. John Hyten told reporters at the Pentagon on Thursday.
"Sadly this morning we had our first hospitalization of the one sailor," Hyten added, saying that crew members who had been moved ashore and placed in isolation were checked on by military medical personnel twice a day.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:59 am    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
Obama should just go out and speak for Biden..
Let people know he has Joe's back and will be there with him and us through all of it.

I really think Trumps firing of the USS Theodore Roosevelt could be several of the last nails in his Presidency... imagining the potential of 4000 ANGRY Soldiers. Hopefully these men and women are ready to leave their posts and FIGHT OUR DOMESTIC ENEMY(ies)

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/09/politics/sailor-teddy-roosevelt-unconcious-covid-modly/index.html
Quote:
As of Wednesday, 97% of the Theodore Roosevelt's crew have been tested for the virus and 416 sailors have tested positive, according to the Navy, representing more than 20% of all coronavirus cases within the entire US military.
"We've tested almost the whole crew now. We still have about 1,000 tests to report out. But 3,170 tested negative, 416 tested positive, 187 of those were symptomatic, 229 were asymptomatic. We still have 1,164 pending results," the Vice Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen. John Hyten told reporters at the Pentagon on Thursday.
"Sadly this morning we had our first hospitalization of the one sailor," Hyten added, saying that crew members who had been moved ashore and placed in isolation were checked on by military medical personnel twice a day.

Can the carrier put in a claim for unemployment insurance?
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:16 am    Post subject:

>>>Moved from Corona Thread
This post could seem more political than virus related but what do you do when your Politicians are intentionally breaking CDC Recommendations to try and infect their citizens? You need to know how your politicians are making this better or worse for everyone.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/politics/elections/2020/04/09/coronavirus-wisconsin-state-tracking-whether-cases-tied-voting/5126212002/
Quote:
MADISON - The state health department is tracking new cases of the coronavirus to determine whether it was spread among voters during Tuesday's spring election.

The state Department of Health Services and local public health officials are "monitoring" the relationship between new cases in the coming weeks and voting in person, agency officials said Thursday.

"We will continue this important work to ensure that every case is followed up on, contacted, and anyone who may have been exposed notified," DHS Secretary Andrea Palm said in a statement. "We hope the extraordinary efforts taken by local clerks, public health, voters, and poll workers helped minimize any transmission but we stand prepared to respond if that isn’t the case."

Human Rights abuses imho

The WHOLE WORLD was on "Shelter In Place - Or Essential Needs travel only.. Minimum 6 feet distancing.. no gathering in groups etc...

How much more evidence is needed?
This was INTENTIONAL abuse of American citizens.

What we know so far about why Milwaukee only had 5 voting sites for Tuesday's election while Madison had 66
Quote:
The City of Milwaukee had just five in-person voting sites open for Tuesday's election while Madison, a city with a smaller population, had 66 sites where voters could cast their ballots.

That left many wondering why Milwaukee had so few in comparison.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:24 am    Post subject:

I'm of a mind Trump is his own worse enemy. He may be hurting himself by his self aggrandisement during his COVID-19 updates. The real numbers don't match his. His poll numbers are falling. The IIC is just that, an idiot.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:22 am    Post subject:

Trump's poll numbers never vary more than a couple of points either way. From low 40's to mid 40's. He's never been over 50% and only dipped below 40% once or twice. He thinks all publicity is good publicity. In his case, he may not be wrong. Tell me which one of his lies or gaffs or criminal behavior changed that 45% number permanently? I don't think there's anything he can say or do to put a dent in that core cult's support of him. But, there are some "low information" voters outside that subset who might end up believing some of his propaganda.

The autocrat's strategy is to overwhelm the public sphere with a mix of lies, propaganda, misinformation, half-truths and contradictions. The goal is to exhaust critical thinking and blur the line between fact and fiction. If that sways even 1% of low-information votes in key swing states, he calls it a win. He doesn't care that 55-60% of us see through his lies and hate his guts. He's got his cult and he thinks he just needs to confuse about 77,000 people to win again.

That's why he does those daily "briefings." That's the ONLY reason he does them.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:14 am    Post subject:

COVID-19 updates have become political. Oil, payroll, the wall, yada, yada, yada.

Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:55 pm    Post subject:

TRUMP: "The germ has gotten so brilliant that the antibiotic can't keep up with it ... there's a whole genius to it ... not only is it hidden, but it's very smart."

Arghhh.
paymonM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:53 pm    Post subject:

just mind boggling seeing people trash Sanders and their supporters. Remember, you're going to need those same voters to beat Trump. Somehow you get a sense there is more hatred for Sanders than there is for Trump and that some would actually like to see trump win just so they can point fingers at the "Bernie Bros".

As a reminder, Sanders won California. Over 30+ years, he has brought to light legitimate social and economic issues that today make up a significant part of the democratic party agenda. Issues that today people are realizing how significant they are as we go through this pandemic.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:09 pm    Post subject:

There is not a single Dem who hates Bernie more than Trump. Even for those anti-Bernie Dems, I would classify their dislike as an annoyance, not a hatred. Trump is an entirely other level. IMO, saying anything different only fuels and perpetuates the division on the left.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:12 pm    Post subject:

That’s a clear case of projection.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:15 pm    Post subject:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Super70sSports/status/1248704420277293057

Bernie gets tired of weeks of isolation
eddiejonze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:31 pm    Post subject:

paymonM wrote:
just mind boggling seeing people trash Sanders and their supporters. Remember, you're going to need those same voters to beat Trump. Somehow you get a sense there is more hatred for Sanders than there is for Trump and that some would actually like to see trump win just so they can point fingers at the "Bernie Bros".

As a reminder, Sanders won California. Over 30+ years, he has brought to light legitimate social and economic issues that today make up a significant part of the democratic party agenda. Issues that today people are realizing how significant they are as we go through this pandemic.

just mind boggling seeing people trash Biden and their supporters. Remember, you're going to need to join those same voters to beat Trump. Somehow you get a sense there is more hatred for Biden than there is for Trump and that some would actually like to see trump win just so they can point fingers at the "DNC establishment".

As a reminder, Biden barely lost California, and took practically every other state . Over 48+ years, he has brought to light legitimate social and economic issues that today make up a significant part of the democratic party agenda. Issues that today people are realizing how significant they are as we go through this pandemic.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:40 pm    Post subject:

Considering what's at stake in November. The willingness of the left to eat itself is concerning.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:42 pm    Post subject:

paymonM wrote:

Ok
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2188, 2189, 2190 ... 3669, 3670, 3671  Next
Page 2189 of 3671
Jump to: