THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2258, 2259, 2260 ... 3669, 3670, 3671  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 9:45 am    Post subject:

Instead of putting this in the George Floyd thread:

I hate to bring this up but Hillary was very much aligned with the BLM movement and the mothers of the BLM whose children had been murdered. A lot of white people didn't like that and went with the guy who called them thugs instead.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 9:49 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Instead of putting this in the George Floyd thread:

I hate to bring this up but Hillary was very much aligned with the BLM movement and the mothers of the BLM whose children had been murdered. A lot of white people didn't like that and went with the guy who called them thugs instead.

Yup. As a side note, it will be interesting to see how the polling breaks in the next few weeks, as we see how the white independents stay with Joe or break to their tribe.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 9:52 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Here's what twitter did with Trump's "thug" tweet:

Quote:
Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump

[This Tweet violated the Twitter Rules about glorifying violence. However, Twitter has determined that it may be in the public’s interest for the Tweet to remain accessible. Learn more]

Then you have to click on a button called "View" to see the original tweet:

Quote:

....These THUGS are dishonoring the memory of George Floyd, and I won’t let that happen. Just spoke to Governor Tim Walz and told him that the Military is with him all the way. Any difficulty and we will assume control but, when the looting starts, the shooting starts. Thank you!

And the Official White House twitter feed retweeted his call for violence against the protesters.

He's really going to (bleep) bricks today. Kudos to Jack at Twitter. This should have been going on for the last several years. Better late than never.

I almost agree with Dorsey on this one - leaving it up provides and example of how heinous Trump is.

But here's why I don't. First of all, consistency. If anyone else on Twitter posts such a thing, it is not just flagged, it is removed and the user likely booted from the platform (as they should). That kind of inconsistency actually has the opposite effect intended by leaving it up for people to see. The message is, "The POtuS is allowed to do this mind of thing, but no one else is". It legitimizes it even with the flagging. MORE SO, it provides Trump's base with the rationale to say, "SEE! It's even Twitter agrees that calls for violence should be allowed, it's just tagging it for the snowflake libtards".

The only acceptable action for Dorsey at this point is to remove Trump from Twitter and there are more than ample grounds for doing so. Dorsey needs to take Trump's loudest and largest dog whistle out of his mouth, permanently. Lessen the the access from Trump to spread his vile hatred. You can't shut him up, but you can make it harder for him to verbally torch the nation. Who cares if his base on morally bankrupt Repugnicans what may say about "censoring" him.

Yes, Trump should be kicked off Twitter.

But just like Trump was never going to be removed from office through Impeachment, Trump was never going to get kicked off Twitter.

So you either let it all stand or you do something to try to contextualize his tweets.

I was ambivalent about the press letting him drone on for 2-hour propaganda press conferences every day. And some argued to let him speak because he did more damage to himself with his own words. And he did. As much as he whips up his base with these Tweets, he also turns off educated white suburban voters in swing states.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 10:01 am    Post subject:

𝚃𝚑𝚎 𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚜𝚎𝚛
@chaser
·
May 27
“Social media should not fact check posts” says child molester Mark Zuckerberg
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 10:11 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Quote:

[This Tweet violated the Twitter Rules about glorifying violence. However, Twitter has determined that it may be in the public’s interest for the Tweet to remain accessible. Learn more]

Quote:

....These THUGS are dishonoring the memory of George Floyd, and I won’t let that happen. Just spoke to Governor Tim Walz and told him that the Military is with him all the way. Any difficulty and we will assume control but, when the looting starts, the shooting starts. Thank you!

And the Official White House twitter feed retweeted his call for violence against the protesters.

He's really going to (bleep) bricks today. Kudos to Jack at Twitter. This should have been going on for the last several years. Better late than never.

I almost agree with Dorsey on this one - leaving it up provides and example of how heinous Trump is.

But here's why I don't. First of all, consistency. If anyone else on Twitter posts such a thing, it is not just flagged, it is removed and the user likely booted from the platform (as they should). That kind of inconsistency actually has the opposite effect intended by leaving it up for people to see. The message is, "The POtuS is allowed to do this mind of thing, but no one else is". It legitimizes it even with the flagging. MORE SO, it provides Trump's base with the rationale to say, "SEE! It's even Twitter agrees that calls for violence should be allowed, it's just tagging it for the snowflake libtards".

The only acceptable action for Dorsey at this point is to remove Trump from Twitter and there are more than ample grounds for doing so. Dorsey needs to take Trump's loudest and largest dog whistle out of his mouth, permanently. Lessen the the access from Trump to spread his vile hatred. You can't shut him up, but you can make it harder for him to verbally torch the nation. Who cares if his base on morally bankrupt Repugnicans what may say about "censoring" him.

I get your point, but I don't think anyone who would say the bolded is reachable anyway...

Within his base I agree with you. But I definitely think there are reachable people out there whose ability to critically think may not be as well honed as others who will see the blatantly mixed message sent and have that reaction, "If what Trump said was so bad, why does Twitter think it is OK/important we see it?"
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 10:22 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yes, Trump should be kicked off Twitter.

But just like Trump was never going to be removed from office through Impeachment, Trump was never going to get kicked off Twitter.

I disagree with that comparison. There is a huge piece of political machinery that is an impediment to Trump being removed from the office of the president. That is not the case with a private company who have a much, much greater degree of self-determination. I think the comparison simply helps to serve Dorsey with an excuse for not taking appropriate action and for having a gross double standard in how he applies the TOS or the conveniently phrased "Community Guidelines".

Additionally, even if we go on your assertion that Trump could never be booted from Twitter, de-platforming him is an issue that is completely different than appropriately applying the guidelines to select Tweets. People's Tweets have been deleted for far less inflammatory language. I don't think we should rationalize away Doresy's selectivity.

Quote:
So you either let it all stand or you do something to try to contextualize his tweets.

Or you delete it and don't engage in the conflicting jargon of "it's important that people see it" rationalization.

Quote:
I was ambivalent about the press letting him drone on for 2-hour propaganda press conferences every day. And some argued to let him speak because he did more damage to himself with his own words. And he did. As much as he whips up his base with these Tweets, he also turns off educated white suburban voters in swing states.

Another inaccurate comparison in my opinion. Twitter is not a public press conference platform. It's a private company that engages in doubles standards in how it enforces its "guidelines".
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Last edited by DaMuleRules on Fri May 29, 2020 10:25 am; edited 2 times in total
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 10:23 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
𝚃𝚑𝚎 𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚜𝚎𝚛
@chaser
·
May 27
“Social media should not fact check posts” says child molester Mark Zuckerberg

I've seen several variations of that on Facebook. It's going to be interesting to see how that plays out if it builds steam.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 10:55 am    Post subject:

Trump just announced that the U.S. is terminating relations with WHO, and this press conference is basically a rebuke on China.

He also said that U.S. policies will no longer give Hong Kong special treatment because it is no longer autonomous from China.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 11:01 am    Post subject:

To further my point above about Twitter and Trump. By not banning Trump and by not holkding Trump to the same community standards as everyone else on the platform, you just further Trump and his base's assertion that he is allowed to do whatever he wants . . . and I think we all agree that is a bad precedent.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

lakeshow03
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 11:11 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
To further my point above about Twitter and Trump. By not banning Trump and by not holkding Trump to the same community standards as everyone else on the platform, you just further Trump and his base's assertion that he is allowed to do whatever he wants . . . and I think we all agree that is a bad precedent.

Going back and forth on this one too. I think though that kicking him off (which is agree is the right thing to do) would only give him and his base more ammunition about being treated unfairly by the media and give them a rallying cry.

Doing it the way they did is at least a slap in the face to him but he can’t cry that his rights have been violated
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 11:29 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Trump just announced that the U.S. is terminating relations with WHO, and this press conference is basically a rebuke on China.

He also said that U.S. policies will no longer give Hong Kong special treatment because it is no longer autonomous from China.

Insane how much back dealing is going on at all times
Gross Dereliction of Duty
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 11:32 am    Post subject:

If a guy like Trump walks into your Private Bar.. you would be kicking him out in no time flat! Yet he can yell all over Twitter for 3+ year causing hell for a whole country and the rest of the world through Twitters platform

***This could be all planned... Remove him Now (after letting him abuse us for 3 years) and it lights an even bigger fire in his dangerously deranged base. He has the money (yours and mine) to build his own Twitter
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 11:41 am    Post subject:

The beginning of Governor Newsom's TV update, today, was quite touching and inspiring.

He needs to run for President, one day. Maybe it could be a Newsom/Cuomo ticket.

Palin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 12:17 pm    Post subject:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/theoval/2015/04/29/obama-white-house-baltimore-stephanie-rawlings-blake/26585143/

Quote:
Obama stands by the term 'thugs,' White House says
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 12:24 pm    Post subject:

Palin wrote:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/theoval/2015/04/29/obama-white-house-baltimore-stephanie-rawlings-blake/26585143/

Quote:

I didn't see him call to shoot people or did I miss something?

Trump "Loots" our Tax system daily
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 12:25 pm    Post subject:

https://www.politico.com/story/2011/03/trump-proud-to-be-a-birther-052252

Donald Trump said Wednesday that he's proud to be part of the so-called birther movement, which he says is comprised of "great American people.”

"I don't feel heat; I think he's got heat," Trump said of President Barack Obama on the Laura Ingraham show . "Look, he cannot give a birth certificate. You can, I can, I got one yesterday, it took me a day, 24 hours, I got one.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 12:57 pm    Post subject:

lakeshow03 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Going back and forth on this one too. I think though that kicking him off (which is agree is the right thing to do) would only give him and his base more ammunition about being treated unfairly by the media and give them a rallying cry.

Doing it the way they did is at least a slap in the face to him but he can’t cry that his rights have been violated

It would be pretty cool if they banned him just to see his response. Break up Big Tech? Declare social media a public utility? I'd love to see both, but he's such a tool of the ruling class I suspect he'd just migrate to Gab.

Last edited by greenfrog on Fri May 29, 2020 1:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 12:58 pm    Post subject:

Palin wrote:

Quote:

Thank you for bringing us our daily dose of brave "but what about?" questions for the day.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 1:07 pm    Post subject:

Palin wrote:

Quote:

https://www.moviequotes.com/quote/researcher-the-average-howard-stern-fan-listens/

- Researcher: The average Howard Stern fan listens for, are you ready for this? An hour and twenty minutes.
- Kenny: How can that be?
- Researcher: Answer most commonly given? "I want to see what he'll say next".
- Kenny: Okay, fine. But what about the people who hate Stern?
- Researcher: Good point. The average Stern hater listens for two and a half hours a day.

PETER MALONEY - Researcher
PAUL GIAMATTI - Kenny

==

I picture conservatives in the LG Political and other Off Topic discussions as these "Stern haters."
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 1:09 pm    Post subject:

Illinois Gov. J.B. Pritzker response when asked about Trump's tweets about protests in Minn.

Quote:
“Well, I have a lot, I'd like to say, but let me begin by saying that from the very moment that I announced my decision to run for governor, three plus years ago, I said that this President was a racist, a misogynist, a homophobe, a xenophobe, and I was right then and I'm right now,” Pritzker said.

ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 2:19 pm    Post subject:

Is a Trillion Dollars tax cut considered "Looting"?
Palin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 2:34 pm    Post subject:

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2020/05/breaking-dni-ratcliffe-releases-flynn-kislyak-transcripts-senators-grassley-johnson-flynn-not/?utm_source=Twitter&utm_campaign=websitesharingbuttons
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 2:46 pm    Post subject:

Palin wrote:
https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2020/05/breaking-dni-ratcliffe-releases-flynn-kislyak-transcripts-senators-grassley-johnson-flynn-not/?utm_source=Twitter&utm_campaign=websitesharingbuttons

Thank you for posting... haven't reviewed it but the beginning doesn't look good
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 4:33 pm    Post subject:

Turns out that the UI boost in the CARES Act has been good and helped many people not only stay afloat, but increased their incomes, during the pandemic/recession.

All of the bill's flaws have been elucidated here by others, but "super" unemployment insurance was a real masterstroke devised by Michael Bennett and Ron Wyden. Obviously those two neolib Senators did so to appease their corporate overlords, but blind squirrels and nuts, right?
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 9:14 pm    Post subject:

In Show of Solidarity, Public Transit Workers Refuse to Transport Police Units or Those Arrested at #JusticeForGeorgeFloyd Protests

This is why the Right Wing hates unions and why I will always be proud to be part of one.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2258, 2259, 2260 ... 3669, 3670, 3671  Next
Page 2259 of 3671
Jump to: