THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2267, 2268, 2269 ... 3669, 3670, 3671  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:29 pm    Post subject:

FernieBee wrote:
Christian racists--not all Chrisitians are racist and vice-versa--use God/religion/The Bible to justify behavior which The Bible's main man, Jesus/God, preaches against.

I agree with Biden: Trump should open The Bible, not just pose with it.

He would probably go up in flames
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:34 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
nickuku wrote:
I've decided to cut ties with my best friend of 22 years over his support of Trump. I just can't do it anymore. I'm honestly very close to cutting ties with family as well.

My good bud that is law enforcement? I was going to get my feet wet and go on a hunting trip for small game. We disagree on politics but that's usually left at the door. After a slew of texts from him in support of the cops, I'm done with the guy. We've known each other for close to 20 years. I feel no loss. Guy had the personality that you'd expect from every jack boot you've seen. I put up with it because of some shared interest but I could not give a (bleep) at this point.

My wife no longer speaks to one of her brothers as of about a year and a half ago.

Honestly, that is sad. I have family members who voted for Trump, but mostly for religious reasons (abortion). I understand.

I'm not sad. The guy was kind of a scum bag. We were friends because as a group, we'd go have drinks, talk about other things, shoot the (bleep) altogether. I was the last one of our group that'd occasionally have a drink with him.

I'm sorry to hear about your former friend. Mine was a real best friend. We've been close since high school. We had classes together, played sports together, played video games together and discussed a wide variety of topics with one another and it's sad that trump came in between our friendship. Ultimately I asked myself if I was ignoring my friend's world view, does that make me complicit by not calling him out? My answer was yes. He refused to hear my side of the argument and I decided it was time to leave. I don't need that kind apathy for human beings in my life.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:43 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Lord knows I'm not going to defend Dubya, but that statement (no matter who he got to write it for him) was pretty much on the money.

It was well written and means something he would give his name to it, even if he didn't write it. I don't know how he can supposedly be such a close friend of Michele Obama if he actually took any other stance.

I have deep issues with what W did during his tenure, and his administration was full of war criminals and profiteers, and that's on him. But I do think he thinks of himself as a gentleman, and I can't forget the warmth the Obamas received from he and his wife, and so I will always be an opponent of his regime and his running of it, but i accept some humanity and decency from him as well.

And he liked dogs. I loved Mrs. Beasley and her annual Christmas-cam romp through the White House.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:46 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Lord knows I'm not going to defend Dubya, but that statement (no matter who he got to write it for him) was pretty much on the money.

It was well written and means something he would give his name to it, even if he didn't write it. I don't know how he can supposedly be such a close friend of Michele Obama if he actually took any other stance.

I have deep issues with what W did during his tenure, and his administration was full of war criminals and profiteers, and that's on him. But I do think he thinks of himself as a gentleman, and I can't forget the warmth the Obamas received from he and his wife, and so I will always be an opponent of his regime and his running of it, but i accept some humanity and decency from him as well.

I always got the impression he was a decent guy that was surrounded and manipulated by his Daddy's cohorts and cronies. If I got a flat, I'd expect he'd pull over and help me where Trump would probably wind down the window, point and laugh. I could be wrong.

Ironically, W had a version of Trump's life, where his daddy was powerful and kept allowing him to fail forward, and he got to believing that he actually was responsible for his success. And he just happened to be in the right place at the right time to be a useful tool as governor, and then president. There are a lot of things he is responsible for that are impossible to separate from him: torture, false wars, crony capitalism and corruption of the worst sort. Even though in a lot of ways i think he was an easily manipulated rube (at that level), he also went along and he also believed enough of it to go along. But like Nixon, he at least believed in the institutions, and after being president, he has comported himself with some degree of dignity, and that's a huge difference from Trump. I think he should be in jail, but i also think what he said was valuable.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:08 pm    Post subject:

The Question Isn’t Whether Trump Will Go Full Authoritarian—It’s How We’ll Respond. We know that no one is coming to save us from Trump. So how will we save ourselves? By Elie Mystal for The Nation

Quote:
There is only one truth left to wrestle with: It does not matter if what Trump is doing is legal. It does not matter if what he’s doing is constitutional. It doesn’t matter, because nobody is going to stop him.

We had our chance to prosecute him, but Robert Mueller decided that the Office of Legal Counsel’s suggestion that the president could not be prosecuted while in office was an ironclad principle. Remember that? Remember when Mueller testified that he’d found 10 instances of obstruction of justice, and nobody did anything because Mueller looked really old on television?

Quote:
We had our chance to remove Trump from office, but 52 Republican senators refused to convict him or even call witnesses during their “trial.” Remember how the media has let every day since February 5 pass without asking people like Lamar Alexander and Lisa Murkowski to justify their craven decision to place Trump beyond accountability?

Trump has been told that he can’t be prosecuted and won’t be removed. He’s been shown that the media will repeat and amplify his message, even when his messages are filled with demonstrable lies that contribute to the deaths of over 100,000 Americans. He straight-up refuses to acknowledge the authority of the other branches of government that are meant to check his power. He’s turned former critics, like Lindsey Graham and Ted Cruz, into mewling sycophants. And he’s convinced the opposition party to pin its hopes on a future election that might never happen—and, if it does, certainly won’t happen without foreign interference and industrial-strength voter suppression.

And nobody has stopped him. Nobody is even really trying to stop him anymore. Those who want him stopped are just kind of waiting and hoping he goes away. Maybe on January 20, 2021, he’ll just leave, and we can get back to having a society.

He won’t just leave. He won’t leave unless the men with guns—the armed agents of the federal government—make him leave. And this upcoming week of protests is going to tell us if there is any hope of those men doing the right thing.

Quote:
Trump is beyond the rule of law now. Republicans have placed him there, and armed men keep him there. People have to think through what that means, about how to stop a man who is above the law, using all the peaceful tools (always the peaceful tools) available to us.

If history is any guide, there’s no simple option. The only way to stop a brutish demagogue like Trump, the only way men like that have ever been stopped, is by people who are willing to lay down their lives to do so. Who is going to be our Hero of Tiananmen, our Unknown Rebel who stands in front of the tanks when they come rolling through Times Square? Who is going to be our John Lewis and get their skull fractured as Trump Troopers hurl projectiles at peace? Who wants to be Thich Quang Duc? Lots of people are willing to fight this administration; how many are willing to sacrifice their lives opposing it?
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:46 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
FernieBee wrote:
Christian racists--not all Chrisitians are racist and vice-versa--use God/religion/The Bible to justify behavior which The Bible's main man, Jesus/God, preaches against.

I agree with Biden: Trump should open The Bible, not just pose with it.

He would probably go up in flames

made me laugh here. TY
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:56 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
The GOP is the most dangerous terrorist organization on the planet!
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:05 pm    Post subject:

Remember when John Roberts allowed the Voting Rights Act to be gutted and he justified the court's position by asserting there was no racism in America any longer? And the subsequent suppression of the black vote by onerous GOP laws in swing states contributed to Trump's 2016 win. Don't hold your breath waiting for that guy to protect Americans from Trump.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:16 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Matt Lewis @mattklewis (journalist for Daily Beast & CNN)

Something changed last night. I am hearing from conservative friends and relatives in states like WV, VA, and SC who are finally done with Trump. One is writing in "Romney-Mattis." Another one is voting Biden. He just told me, "I want him [Trump] crushed."

Me too.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:18 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Joe Walsh @WalshFreedom

Would my fellow conservatives have been upset if Barack Obama had ordered the military to tear gas hundreds of tea party activists who were peacefully protesting?
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:20 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

I always got the impression he was a decent guy that was surrounded and manipulated by his Daddy's cohorts and cronies. If I got a flat, I'd expect he'd pull over and help me where Trump would probably wind down the window, point and laugh. I could be wrong.

Ironically, W had a version of Trump's life, where his daddy was powerful and kept allowing him to fail forward, and he got to believing that he actually was responsible for his success. And he just happened to be in the right place at the right time to be a useful tool as governor, and then president. There are a lot of things he is responsible for that are impossible to separate from him: torture, false wars, crony capitalism and corruption of the worst sort. Even though in a lot of ways i think he was an easily manipulated rube (at that level), he also went along and he also believed enough of it to go along. But like Nixon, he at least believed in the institutions, and after being president, he has comported himself with some degree of dignity, and that's a huge difference from Trump. I think he should be in jail, but i also think what he said was valuable.

If I'm not mistaken, current Republicans mostly worship Trump and despise Bush. That's a pretty big point in Bush's favor in my book. Imagine trying to work with these people if you were basically a decent fellow. Not easy, I reckon.
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:28 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
nickuku wrote:
I've decided to cut ties with my best friend of 22 years over his support of Trump. I just can't do it anymore. I'm honestly very close to cutting ties with family as well.

My good bud that is law enforcement? I was going to get my feet wet and go on a hunting trip for small game. We disagree on politics but that's usually left at the door. After a slew of texts from him in support of the cops, I'm done with the guy. We've known each other for close to 20 years. I feel no loss. Guy had the personality that you'd expect from every jack boot you've seen. I put up with it because of some shared interest but I could not give a (bleep) at this point.

I have a friend of 30 years that has completely changed who he used to be. He's slowly gone off the deep end the past 10-15 years.

I've mentioned him several times on here. He texted me today saying he thought Trump showed "courage" going out to that church and posing for photos. Showed the people that he "wasn't going to be bullied".

I laughed and told him not to text me for a while. SMH
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:29 pm    Post subject:

PLATNUM wrote:
I have a friend of 30 years that has completely changed who he used to be. He's slowly gone off the deep end the past 10-15 years.

I've mentioned him several times on here. He texted me today saying he thought Trump showed "courage" going out to that church and posing for photos. Showed the people that he "wasn't going to be bullied".

I laughed and told him not to text me for a while. SMH

Trump and his supporters have the ability to switch back and forth between the victors and the victims, to a degree never before seen in history.
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:32 pm    Post subject:

Just finished listening to Biden's speech.
Is this what a leader with compassion and something greater than a 5th grade education sounds like???
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:44 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
^
Yes I saw that, and it is very eloquent. Made me think that there's no way he wrote all of that. And also that there's no way he would have made a speech like this while he was the president. Of course, we know why that is.

Not a fan of Bush but in his defense all presidents have speech writers.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:51 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

The more I think about the Make America Great Again slogan, the more I realize what they mean is to get America back to the pre-Civil rights era.

I'm going to visit my neices and my brother in law (who might be redeemable) voted for Trump. He's a big 2nd amendment guy so I'm taking this fool to task.

You want run your mouth about protecting yourselves from government over reach? Here's your gd chance. Not a peep from these idiots.

Of course that's what it always was. God put white men in charge of America and America in charge of the world. Uppity women, gays, foreigners, people of color, all of them are destroying the fabric of our great land.

Manifest Destiny! This country was founded on the extermination of indigenous people and the forced labor of Blacks. Followed by the exploitation of Asians and Hispanics.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:19 pm    Post subject:

Ipsos poll:

Biden 47%
Trump 37%

It has grown from 6 to 10 points in the last few days.

While I'd want Biden to be over 50% in every poll and while there are still many undecideds (at least in this one), Trump is under 40% in a lot of polls lately. That's not good for the incumbent.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:31 pm    Post subject:

The RNC says they're looking outside of North Carolina to hold their convention. Keep in mind, even before the pandemic, only North Carolina wanted to host it. Meanwhile, the Democratic convention had multiple bids.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:50 pm    Post subject:

One of the most unapologetic white supremacists in Congress:

Quote:
Nate Cohn @Nate_Cohn
·
Steve King's (R-IA04) reelection chances are in jeopardy right now, as he trails a GOP primary challenger by 8 points so far. His hope, at this point, is that the early vote is unrepresentative. And that's his only hope, as many relatively weak areas for him are outstanding.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:55 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
The RNC says they're looking outside of North Carolina to hold their convention. Keep in mind, even before the pandemic, only North Carolina wanted to host it. Meanwhile, the Democratic convention had multiple bids.

What do you want to bet they end up at one of Trump's resorts (with no social distancing or other policies to keep people safe). It would be so on brand to corruptly overcharge people and kill them at the same time.
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:07 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

You’re wrong. He’d roll down the window, call you a loser, possibly throw rotten eggs at you, and then laugh.

S*** stain human, threat guy.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:16 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
One of the most unapologetic white supremacists in Congress:

Quote:
Nate Cohn @Nate_Cohn
·
Steve King's (R-IA04) reelection chances are in jeopardy right now, as he trails a GOP primary challenger by 8 points so far. His hope, at this point, is that the early vote is unrepresentative. And that's his only hope, as many relatively weak areas for him are outstanding.

The guy that defeated him isn't any better. Probably will make it more difficult for the Democrats to win the seat in November.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:44 pm    Post subject:

tlim wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

You’re wrong. He’d roll down the window, call you a loser, possibly throw rotten eggs at you, and then laugh.

When I hear people speak fondly of W. it reminds me of when I was single. I'd go on a bad date. And all of a sudden I missed my ex.

Up until that point, I never missed or thought about her. But by comparison, one of the worst relationships I've ever been in seemed not so bad all of a sudden.

Fond memories of W. are a testament to how bad Trump is. W. has zero to no merits if you review his years in office.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:54 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
tlim wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

When I hear people speak fondly of W. it reminds me of when I was single. I'd go on a bad date. And all of a sudden I missed my ex.

Up until that point, I never missed or thought about her. But by comparison, one of the worst relationships I've ever been in seemed not so bad all of a sudden.

Fond memories of W. are a testament to how bad Trump is. W. has zero to no merits if you review his years in office.

True, except that he’s an actual human.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:59 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
kikanga wrote:
tlim wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

True, except that he’s an actual human.

True. I'll assume all my bad dates were human. Although I have some doubts.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2267, 2268, 2269 ... 3669, 3670, 3671  Next
Page 2268 of 3671
Jump to: