THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2360, 2361, 2362 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:10 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
SweetP wrote:
James Clyburn had an interesting take on the VP choice. He said in an MSNBC interview, paraphrasing a bit here, that there can be a difference between campaigning and governing. He said Biden will have no trouble putting together a good governing team/cabinet but something to the effect that you have to get elected first to do that. Said Biden is the most compassionate man ever but does not come across as having a lot of passion. He needs someone to help inspire people and who is good campaigner. I took that to mean he favors Harris. Just my take. And his is only one opinion but most felt his endorsement for the S Carolina primary was what got Biden on track for the nomination.

I will support whoever he chooses, but I agree with Clyburn. And if you look at the field, Kamala Harris has the most charisma by far, IMO.

As far as I'm aware, she also has the least negatives--at least those that will come from the right.

Truth is, no one has fewer negatives than anyone else when it comes to what will be flung from the Right. They'll find whatever they can spin and make up what others.

In regards to Harris's charism, yeah, she has a bit. But I've come to feel much of it is a show. I've listened to a few Stacey Abrams interviews lately and I find her to be much more personable and relatable. And she is really quite interesting in regards to diversity of interests and very subtly sharp. Not saying she's the best choice, or even really in the running at this point. But I like her a lot.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:12 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
SweetP wrote:
James Clyburn had an interesting take on the VP choice. He said in an MSNBC interview, paraphrasing a bit here, that there can be a difference between campaigning and governing. He said Biden will have no trouble putting together a good governing team/cabinet but something to the effect that you have to get elected first to do that. Said Biden is the most compassionate man ever but does not come across as having a lot of passion. He needs someone to help inspire people and who is good campaigner. I took that to mean he favors Harris. Just my take. And his is only one opinion but most felt his endorsement for the S Carolina primary was what got Biden on track for the nomination.

I will support whoever he chooses, but I agree with Clyburn. And if you look at the field, Kamala Harris has the most charisma by far, IMO.

As far as I'm aware, she also has the least negatives--at least those that will come from the right.

I agree with CL and with Clyburn. I also completely agree with Omar about his thinking that the pick is not Harris. Just 100% agree with that line of thought, that if it was going to be Harris, why delay it? There would be no reason to. It makes sense that they are delaying the announcement because it's not Harris. They want some time to pass to lessen the blowback.

I actually think Duckworth is the safest pick in terms of attacks from the opposition. I just don't know how you can get too into attacking her personally without coming off looking like a complete a'hole. Sure, you can attack her policies, but that's not going to make a dent, because they are going to attack anyone's policies. Next on that list I think is Harris. Some are touting Bass as "safe", but she's completely untested in this arena. As for Rice, it's my feeling that she has too much baggage in terms of optics. Not in reality, but that doesn't matter. I'll say it again: if you're explaining, you're losing, and the Democrats should not pick a person where you're going to have to play some defense. All things considered, I think Harris is the best choice, but I agree with Omar completely that it doesn't make sense to delay the announcement if she is the pick.
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:16 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
SweetP wrote:

I think so too. And obviously Biden will make the choice and I know of these women only from reading or TV appearances but my choices would be:

Kamala Harris for VP, experienced campaigner with lots of passion and charisma to stoke the vote with Blacks, women and younger people.
Susan Rice for Sec of State, she darn well has the chops for that and lots of international exposure, but less domestic policy background and never ran for any elected office.
Karen Bass for Chief of Staff, head of the Black Caucus, well-liked by all, great organizer and a conduit to congress but not well-known nationally by the public and not noted for her passionate rhetoric.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:28 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Notice that those leaks brought about a conference call with Harris supporters and a push back of the announcement (which leads me to believe the pick is or at least was rice or a third candidate, as there’s no need to push if it was already Harris )

Who is a part of Biden's decision making team? Just wondering. Obama people? Clinton people? Young people unaffiliated with other Democrat Presidential campaigns?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:32 pm    Post subject:

Fwiw, Clyburn is the reason Bottoms is in the bracket.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:33 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Notice that those leaks brought about a conference call with Harris supporters and a push back of the announcement (which leads me to believe the pick is or at least was rice or a third candidate, as there’s no need to push if it was already Harris )

Who is a part of Biden's decision making team? Just wondering. Obama people? Clinton people? Young people unaffiliated with other Democrat Presidential campaigns?
yes
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:35 pm    Post subject:

ABC: Trump in trouble as nearly two-thirds of Americans disapprove of his handling of COVID-19, protests, Russia

Quote:
Nearly two-thirds of Americans disapprove of President Donald Trump's handling of three major challenges facing the country -- the coronavirus pandemic, nationwide unrest over racial inequality and relations with Russia -- in a new ABC News/Ipsos poll, a sign of the obstacles that his reelection bid faces just three months before Election Day.

Quote:
Trump closes out the month of July the way it began, with his approval on the coronavirus in the low 30s. His approval sits at 34%, right about where it was earlier this month (33%) when it reached a new low since ABC News/Ipsos began surveying on the virus in March.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:43 pm    Post subject:

Other than Benghazi, which we know was a witch hunt, what is Susan Rice's baggage? She has the experience most needed for the VP because Biden's said he won't do 2 terms. Her track record out distances any of the listed candidates.

27th United States Ambassador to the United Nations
12th Assistant Secretary of State for African Affairs
24th United States National Security Advisor

I'm not putting a lot of stock in charisma. I'm viewing the whole canvas. Trumps leaving a mess. We're going to need someone capable of helping to clean it up.

We're not running for VP we're running to be President. I believe Biden will win that race. He said he won't run for a second term so I'm looking at the most qualified to run the country in 2024. I believe that to be Susan Rice.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:06 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
I actually think Duckworth is the safest pick in terms of attacks from the opposition. I just don't know how you can get too into attacking her personally without coming off looking like a complete a'hole. Sure, you can attack her policies, but that's not going to make a dent, because they are going to attack anyone's policies. Next on that list I think is Harris. Some are touting Bass as "safe", but she's completely untested in this arena. As for Rice, it's my feeling that she has too much baggage in terms of optics. Not in reality, but that doesn't matter. I'll say it again: if you're explaining, you're losing, and the Democrats should not pick a person where you're going to have to play some defense. All things considered, I think Harris is the best choice, but I agree with Omar completely that it doesn't make sense to delay the announcement if she is the pick.

I agree, and in a decent world you’d think that would hold true. But thanks the the Orange Turd Gibbon and the deplorable GOP cowards who follow him like good Nazis, we left decency behind a few years ago. They don’t care how they look.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:07 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

yes

That was a lazy question. Just should've looked it up myself. His campaign manager is Jennifer Brigid O'Malley Dillon. She was a field organizer for Gore in 1999. John Edwards field director in 2003. State director and deputy campaign manager for Edwards in 2007. And Deputy Campaign Manager for Obama in 2011.

Well she's experienced.

Last edited by kikanga on Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:57 pm; edited 4 times in total
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:11 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

I agree, and in a decent world you’d think that would hold true. But thanks the the Orange Turd Gibbon and the deplorable GOP cowards who follow him like good Nazis, we left decency behind a few years ago. They don’t care how they look.

I suppose so, but I don't see that working with independents. Trump won in 2016 because he did well enough with independents in swing states. His cult may feel fine with attacking her personally, but I don't think it will play well with independents.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:13 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

I suppose so, but I don't see that working with independents. Trump won in 2016 because he did well enough with independents in swing states. His cult may feel fine with attacking her personally, but I don't think it will play well with independents.

Good point.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:20 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
ABC: Trump in trouble as nearly two-thirds of Americans disapprove of his handling of COVID-19, protests, Russia

Quote:
Nearly two-thirds of Americans disapprove of President Donald Trump's handling of three major challenges facing the country -- the coronavirus pandemic, nationwide unrest over racial inequality and relations with Russia -- in a new ABC News/Ipsos poll, a sign of the obstacles that his reelection bid faces just three months before Election Day.

Quote:
Trump closes out the month of July the way it began, with his approval on the coronavirus in the low 30s. His approval sits at 34%, right about where it was earlier this month (33%) when it reached a new low since ABC News/Ipsos began surveying on the virus in March.

Hopefully that 2/3’s voices its disapproval in November.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:21 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Tucker Carlson’s attacks on Sen. Tammy Duckworth are as disgusting as they are predictable

Quote:
He called a Purple Heart recipient a “moron” for suggesting that it was worth discussing the idea of removing monuments of George Washington, the United States’ first president and a slave owner.

Carlson, who has never served in the military, called this veteran, who lost both of her legs fighting in the Iraq War, a fraud, a vandal and — maybe most remarkably — a coward.

Jabbing away with his trademark combination of outrage and glee, he described her as “a deeply silly and unimpressive person,” grouping her among those who “actually hate America.”
eddiejonze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:44 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Wilt wrote:
Now they're saying Biden is unlikely to announce VP pick before August 10.

The appearance of indecisiveness is not going to help him.

This may be in response however, to the story that there are rumors that Pompeo, Nunes, and Ron Johnson are sitting on some (bogus of course) "Ukrainian intel" that they want to release as an "October surprise" but would release earlier to rain on Biden's winning of the VP choice news cycle?
Just a thought...
eddiejonze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:48 pm    Post subject:

SweetP wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
SweetP wrote:

I think so too. And obviously Biden will make the choice and I know of these women only from reading or TV appearances but my choices would be:

Kamala Harris for VP, experienced campaigner with lots of passion and charisma to stoke the vote with Blacks, women and younger people.
Susan Rice for Sec of State, she darn well has the chops for that and lots of international exposure, but less domestic policy background and never ran for any elected office.
Karen Bass for Chief of Staff, head of the Black Caucus, well-liked by all, great organizer and a conduit to congress but not well-known nationally by the public and not noted for her passionate rhetoric.

I would return Hillary to sec of state if she wanted it.
Or Kerry as 2nd choice...we've messed up our standing so bad in the world, need an experienced Diplomat from day one.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:50 pm    Post subject:

eddiejonze wrote:
SweetP wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
SweetP wrote:

I would return Hillary to sec of state if she wanted it.
Or Kerry as 2nd choice...we've messed up our standing so bad in the world, need an experienced Diplomat from day one.

When it comes to Kerry, we can do better, and when it comes to Hillary, we can't. However, besides the fact that I doubt she'd have interest, we probably just need to be looking forward. I can see the Republican 2024 campaign already; they'd say stuff like "get cronies like Hillary out of there" and all that BS. If Rice is a foreign policy maven like it seems, she makes a lot of sense to me, if she's not the VP choice.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:17 pm    Post subject:

It's pretty remarkable how good the Lincoln Project is at attacking Trump compared to Democrats.

I hope we steal some of their brain trust after Biden wins. Because today's ally is tomorrow's enemy. The Lincoln Project are Neo Cons who hold the same world view as Trump but they hide it under a thin, thin veneer of "respectability".
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:57 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
It's pretty remarkable how good the Lincoln Project is at attacking Trump compared to Democrats.

I hope we steal some of their brain trust after Biden wins. Because today's ally is tomorrow's enemy. The Lincoln Project are Neo Cons who hold the same world view as Trump but they hide it under a thin, thin veneer of "respectability".

They've been Biden's unpaid attack dog. The project keep him from having to be negative to a degree. If Biden were to go negative Trump would respond with negativity and Republicans are better at it.

He has no response for the Lincoln Project. They're Republicans and know how to play in the mud as well as he and his crew. Plus they're free.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:16 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

Those kinds of attacks don’t work as well when they come from outside the house. They are hopefully reaching people who usually vote republican, because if not, they’re just political porn.

The reason Republicans are seen as running “better” ads is because they sell fear and hate, and those are visceral things. That works on their base because their base is motivated by fear and hate. Democrats don’t govern or run on either, so those types of ads don’t feel right, but at the same time it feels like the Dems can’t punch as hard. It’s the downside of being the civilized side vs the atavistic.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:59 am    Post subject:

Polls from Georgia and North Carolina show Biden up by 1 and 4 respectively.

Now even if he barely loses those two states, that is a great sign for other states. I can't see how he loses NC by, say, 1 point and then also loses MI/WI/PA. Hillary lost NC by 3.6 points and Georgia by 5.

Nothing Trump is doing seems to be working, even the deployment of federal troops.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:13 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
Polls from Georgia and North Carolina show Biden up by 1 and 4 respectively.

Now even if he barely loses those two states, that is a great sign for other states. I can't see how he loses NC by, say, 1 point and then also loses MI/WI/PA. Hillary lost NC by 3.6 points and Georgia by 5.

Nothing Trump is doing seems to be working, even the deployment of federal troops.

Considering his ties to PA I'm confident he can win there.
I hope he gets Florida too. Then it's a wrap.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:42 am    Post subject:

I hope Biden can surge capacity for testing, contact tracing, N95 mask production as well as agencies that handle government assistance (are they still working just one shift?). Really sickening hearing about all the red tape people are caught up in. Feels like we will be doing in January 2021 what we should have done in January 2020. What a tragic waste of time and resources.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:35 am    Post subject:

Trump duped his voters into thinking: This political outsider will right what's wrong in D.C. (and the rest of the country).

He lied, and they set themselves up to be lied to...

Idiots, most of them (probably).

Racists, most of them (probably).

ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:24 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
I hope Biden can surge capacity for testing, contact tracing, N95 mask production as well as agencies that handle government assistance (are they still working just one shift?). Really sickening hearing about all the red tape people are caught up in. Feels like we will be doing in January 2021 what we should have done in January 2020. What a tragic waste of time and resources.

Yup. And ditto for efficient dissemination of the vaccine when it gets here. Because you know the current administration is not planning for it. I said this the other day, but I hope Biden is already putting in place a transition cabinet with a Corona task force mapping this all out now.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2360, 2361, 2362 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next
Page 2361 of 3663
Jump to: