THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2451, 2452, 2453 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:07 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Remember about a week ago when Joe Biden said that without Trump in office there are about 7-8 GOP Senators that would turn reasonable and work with him and Democrats to accomplish important legislation?

I hope this past week has disabused him of that notion.

Dems shouldn't extend umpteenth olive branch after they pull this SC sh. (IF they take control of H/S/P). Like Lindsay saying the Kavanaugh unfair! treatment changed his mind (he was pained at the sight of Brett's gross cry face), this should change Biden's and whomever else still thinks those fools want middle ground. Worse, Trump is going to make a mess of things even after the election, trying to litigate, saying it was rigged, etc.
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:07 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Our weapon is the vote. Trump knows this. He'll do all in his power to suppress the vote. He's already forging a plan. Democrats must be ready to counter it. I've been voting by mail for years. I'm going to the polls for this one.

Good for you, stay safe! But you are correct, WE outnumber THEM. Just vote, make it a landslide for Biden/Harris; make it a big Dem majority in the Senate. Show the world and show the Right that this is what the majority of Americans want, not the Trump freak-show.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:16 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Remember about a week ago when Joe Biden said that without Trump in office there are about 7-8 GOP Senators that would turn reasonable and work with him and Democrats to accomplish important legislation?

I hope this past week has disabused him of that notion.

The days of cross-partisan compromise are way too far gone to even pretend that there will be any cooperation from any portion of the GOP. Should Biden be fortunate enough to take office in January, every single issue is going to be met with full on disruption and dissension. That's why Biden and the Dems will have to take the gloves off and realize they can't factor in any kind of conciliation in the fight they face to get thing son track. Time for them to fight as ruthlessly and aggressively as the GOP has for the last 6 plus years.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:17 am    Post subject:

You can try bipartisan and reject proposals that are detrimental to the people. e.g. Work across the aisle to allow filibuster. Can't hurt to try. When there's no progress do what's best. I say don't close the door to any possibilities.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:34 am    Post subject:

It's not surprising that they would support the SC nomination. These are the same judges they would nominate themselves if they were president, conservative loyalists. It's one of the few areas where Trump isn't much different from any Repub president, he can't have much input because he doesn't know who any of these judges are and can't understand the substance or effects of their decisions anyway. And to be honest, I don't even think it's wrong to nominate the justice now, what was wrong was holding up the confirmation of Garland. The pres does pick SC justices, and that's the way it should be whether that pres has 3 years or 3 weeks to go. Just happens to be really awful misfortune in this case.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:48 am    Post subject:

These are the guides I use when I vote, and my mom and aunt do, too.

San Diego County Endorsed Democratic Candidates

San Diego County Democratic Party Positions on Ballot Measures
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:49 am    Post subject:

This is for LA County Democrats.

https://www.lacdp.org/candidates

https://www.lacdp.org/ballotmeasures

DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:14 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
There is no (bleep) bottom with these people.

Washington Post: Pentagon used taxpayer money meant for masks and swabs to make jet engine parts and body armor

Quote:
A $1 billion fund Congress gave the Pentagon in March to build up the country’s supplies of medical equipment has instead been mostly funneled to defense contractors and used to make things such as jet engine parts, body armor and dress uniforms.

The change illustrates how one taxpayer-backed effort to battle the novel coronavirus, which has killed about 200,000 Americans, was instead diverted toward patching up long-standing perceived gaps in military supplies.

The Cares Act, which Congress passed earlier this year, gave the Pentagon money to “prevent, prepare for, and respond to coronavirus.” But a few weeks later, the Defense Department began reshaping how it would award the money in a way that represented a major departure from Congress’s intent.

Quote:
The payments were made even though U.S. health officials think major funding gaps in pandemic response still remain. Robert Redfield, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said in Senate testimony last week that states desperately need $6 billion to distribute vaccines to Americans early next year. Many U.S. hospitals still face a severe shortage of N95 masks. These are the types of problems that the money was originally intended to address.

I want to see people prosecuted for this.

Feels like I've been asking every month where are the N95 masks? Why didn't we go into war-like production of them? Well, those up top just don't give a (bleep).
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:41 pm    Post subject:

Possible electoral map iterations based on current state polling averages:

Quote:
Andrew Prokop @awprokop (Vox)
·
First map: If Biden overperforms current state polling averages by 2 points
(Biden beats Trump 413-125 electoral votes)

Second map: If Trump overperforms current state polling averages by 3 points
(Biden beats Trump 290-248 electoral votes)

link
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:04 pm    Post subject:

FernieBee wrote:
This is for LA County Democrats.

https://www.lacdp.org/candidates

https://www.lacdp.org/ballotmeasures

I use Maxin Waters's suggestions. I'll compare them to yours.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:03 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Possible electoral map iterations based on current state polling averages:

Quote:
Andrew Prokop @awprokop (Vox)
·
First map: If Biden overperforms current state polling averages by 2 points
(Biden beats Trump 413-125 electoral votes)

Second map: If Trump overperforms current state polling averages by 3 points
(Biden beats Trump 290-248 electoral votes)

link

I'm greedy, I want map #. I want Joe and Kamala to smash Donald. A blue tsunami, a mandate, a statement, a blowout. Humiliation for Donald.

But I'll take any where Biden/Harris win.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:16 pm    Post subject:

I think the bake is advanced in its baking stage. It would take something incredible for Trump to both decrease Biden's support (it's very important that Biden is close and even above 50% in most polls) and then pick up most of the undecideds.

It'll be crucial for Biden to win Florida that election night, which would prevent a prolonged post-election drama by Trump.

Last edited by Wilt on Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:21 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
I think the bake is advanced in its baking stage. It would take something incredible for Trump to both decrease Biden's support (it's very important that Biden is very close and even above 50% in most polls) and then pick up most of the undecideds.

It'll be crucial for Biden to win Florida that election night, which would prevent a prolonged post-election drama by Trump.

That's coming no matter what happens election night . . . guaranteed.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:29 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Wilt wrote:
I think the bake is advanced in its baking stage. It would take something incredible for Trump to both decrease Biden's support (it's very important that Biden is very close and even above 50% in most polls) and then pick up most of the undecideds.

I'm sure he'll do something, but if Biden wins Florida, it's a landslide. And he'll have no argument since he declared that Florida somehow doesn't have fraudulent mail-in ballots while other states do.

The larger the margin, the more desperate he appears and the more determined we are to take it to the streets.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:32 pm    Post subject:

Biden is ahead in the polls, Trump is ahead in cheating. Which will prove to be stronger, the polls or the cheat? I'm scaaaard!

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:36 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Wilt wrote:

I'm sure he'll do something, but if Biden wins Florida, it's a landslide. And he'll have no argument since he declared that Florida somehow doesn't have fraudulent mail-in ballots while other states do.

The larger the margin, the more desperate he appears and the more determined we are to take it to the streets.

I get that, but we know him all too well. He'll come up with something. Hell, he'll probably straight up denying ever saying it.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:38 pm    Post subject:

Gas masks, knee pads, fire retardant gloves, and a burner phone aren't that expensive. You may want to space these purchases out and use cash wherever possible.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:38 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Biden is ahead in the polls, Trump is ahead in cheating. Which will prove to be stronger, the polls or the cheat? I'm scaaaard!

If Biden has a popular vote and EC landslide, the entire world will see Trump as an authoritarian trying to take power by force. He'll have no argument other being the whiniest little baby in the world.

Everything is pointing toward a comfortable win for Biden. Things can change, yes, but the bake has been baked.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:48 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
jodeke wrote:

If Biden has a popular vote and EC landslide, the entire world will see Trump as an authoritarian trying to take power by force. He'll have no argument other being the whiniest little baby in the world.

Everything is pointing toward a comfortable win for Biden. Things can change, yes, but the bake has been baked.

don't underestimate the far right extremists, Trump knows if he loses in a landside, then he's playing with house money by entice those extremists to cause chaos throughout the country.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:55 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Gas masks, knee pads, fire retardant gloves, and a burner phone aren't that expensive. You may want to space these purchases out and use cash wherever possible.

As a friend has been saying for a while now, "If you're not armed, you should be".
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:59 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
Wilt wrote:
jodeke wrote:

don't underestimate the far right extremists, Trump knows if he loses in a landside, then he's playing with house money by entice those extremists to cause chaos throughout the country.

Not to mention he will simply challenge election saying that the landslide is proof the Dems cheated because there is no way he'd lose in a landslide.

We can't underestimate the lengths and lies that the GOP is going to engage in to keep Trump in power for another four years. If they can do that, their agenda is set for decades and they will be able to prevent any Democratic say in matters as they continue to erode the rule of law. They know if they fail, they may never have meaningful power themselves for a long, long time, and when they get any, it will be heavily held in check.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Last edited by DaMuleRules on Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:02 pm    Post subject:

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/09/new-state-polls-biden-landslide-and-trump-win-both-possible.html

Quote:
New State Polls Show Biden Landslide and Narrow Trump Win Are Both Possible

Tweet from that article
Quote:

Nate Cohn
@Nate_Cohn
The world where Biden's basically tied in GA/TX/IA/OH but can't claim a clear 5 point lead in PA/FL averages is one *really* easy for the race to either turn into a total blowout or a highly competitive contest, with a big popular vote-Electoral College gap
7:31 AM · Sep 22, 2020

Quote:
Nate Cohn
@Nate_Cohn
Replying to @Nate_Cohn
A different way to think about it:
--If Biden outperforms the polls by 2, he's the winner on 11/3 with a FL call at 8PM and--no joke--a TX call possibly making Biden pres-elect.
--If Trump outperforms by 2, we've got to wait days for Biden to squeak out PA/MI/WI w mail votes
8:08 AM · Sep 22, 2020

Please Florida don’t let me down again. I have no confidence in this state, but please prove me wrong. If the squeaker of scenario 2 is what happens, Trump will try everything he can to rat (bleep) and steal the election regardless of what the mail in votes say. That’s what he’s lining this Supreme Court pick up to do.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:07 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
Wilt wrote:
jodeke wrote:

But there's more of us.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:18 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
Wilt wrote:
jodeke wrote:

But there's more of us.

Unfortunately, if/when things get ugly because the extremist rise up, our numbers can only hope to possibly mitigate the chaos and destruction, not prevent it or shut it down.

We need to be prepared for the possibility that a Trump loss could come with the kind of civil unrest we have not seen in modern times.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:41 pm    Post subject:

Every day is a good day to die.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2451, 2452, 2453 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next
Page 2452 of 3663
Jump to: