THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 263, 264, 265 ... 3669, 3670, 3671  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject:

The people who deserve credit for this bill tanking are the American People who showed up at thousands of town halls around the country, in Red States and Blue States, small rural towns and big cities They made their voices heard. Moderate Republican representatives who may have previously supported something like this were given pause when faced with REAL PEOPLE with REAL ILLNESSES in fear of losing their lives, their life savings or losing a child or spouse. They were forced to face real anger and real fear from their constituents. The Tea Party may have been against this from the right, but had there been enough Moderate Republican support in the "middle" it could well have passed. There is no doubt the moderates were afraid of backlash from the voting public.

Make no mistake, it was the American People who made this happen. Thanks to all the marchers and protesters and town hall attendees and Indivisible groups. Job well done. Keep it up.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Had a feeling Trumpcare wouldn't pass when the Koch brothers got involved. I'm sure their $ helped kill the bill.
The far right can't be tamed. Not even by the donald.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Citizens United, where 'Corporations are people my friends,' and money is protected speech. So you can have the Koch Bros. openly threaten to primary any congressman who votes for a bill not to their liking, while simultaneously creating a fund and announcing that they will help any Republican who votes against the bill not to their liking.

"Government of the corporations, by the corporations, for the corporations, shall not perish from the Earth." - 2017 Right-wing Abraham Lincoln
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
The people who deserve credit for this bill tanking are the American People who showed up at thousands of town halls around the country, in Red States and Blue States, small rural towns and big cities They made their voices heard. Moderate Republican representatives who may have previously supported something like this were given pause when faced with REAL PEOPLE with REAL ILLNESSES in fear of losing their lives, their life savings or losing a child or spouse. They were forced to face real anger and real fear from their constituents. The Tea Party may have been against this from the right, but had there been enough Moderate Republican support in the "middle" it could well have passed. There is no doubt the moderates were afraid of backlash from the voting public.

Make no mistake, it was the American People who made this happen. Thanks to all the marchers and protesters and town hall attendees and Indivisible groups. Job well done. Keep it up.

If the same internal divisions among Republicans remain and if ordinary people are still engaged, how are they going to pass any big legislation? Tax reform? Do they think they're gonna get away with another Bush-type tax cut that benefits the wealthy? Infrastructure? Are the freedom clowns in Congress want to spend any money on that? Trade? There are still some free trade Republicans left. Etc. .. But even if they pass legislation, none of it will be universally popular because their ideology prevents them to pass things that benefit ordinary people.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:

If the same internal divisions among Republicans remain and if ordinary people are still engaged, how are they going to pass any big legislation? Tax reform? Do they think they're gonna get away with another Bush-type tax cut that benefits the wealthy? Infrastructure? Are the freedom clowns in Congress want to spend any money on that? Trade? There are still some free trade Republicans left. Etc. .. But even if they pass legislation, none of it will be universally popular because their ideology prevents them to pass things that benefit ordinary people.

Infrastructure investment is something Democrats would work with Trump on.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
Wilt wrote:

Infrastructure investment is something Democrats would work with Trump on.

I don't think the Democrats will want to work with him on anything. It's not in their political interest to stand with him on the same stage signing anything big.

And good luck convincing any Republicans, let alone the most conservative ones that I mentioned, to spend $1 trillion on infrastructure.

Most likely, the government will keep going through continuing resolutions and other smaller measures with a coalition of most Republicans and some Democrats.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject:

How can America be so great yet our neighboring country has FREE HEALTH CARE for the rich and the poor....
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject:

the association wrote:
You must have been working on a really important brief from 2008 - 2016 when a competent Democratic president repeatedly and earnestly tried (often to his own detriment) to develop bipartisan momentum, and was instead me with wave after wave of intransigent obstruction - over and over again.

And now, you're crying that the Democrats are the ones who have to find a way to connect across the aisle. And your inimitable "I know better" calculus is that actual Democrats had better find a way to locate common ground or else it's curtains ... I'd say (bleep), but I'm in San Diego, so I'll keep it classy instead.

AH, we'll have to agree to disagree ...

No, that's not what I'm saying at all.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject:

the association wrote:
I'd say (bleep), but I'm in San Diego, so I'll keep it classy instead.

I knew I liked you.... all about San Diego as a former San Diego native. But, in all seriousness, AH and others who aren't true and blue liberals want Dems to reach across the aisle. To be fair, AH and those left in the middle would also want the Republicans to reach out too.

However, the issue is that you can't try to compromise with a bully. You give a bully an inch, and they take a mile. And that is exactly what the GOP is... a group of bullies. They have no interest in progress or compromise, just winning and bravado. They lie, know you know they are lying and expect you to look the other way anyway.

Until the Republican party shifts back to a party which cares about people, rather than corporations and keeping their seats, you just can't reach across the aisle or be completely taken advantage of. We saw this for the last 6 years, and we see it now with that utter lack of motivation to do anything resembling credibility or integrity in their current agendas.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject:

Now that the far right Freedom Cacaus has abandoned Trump he has no choice but to govern from the middle of he'll be blocked at every turn.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject:

So for those who voted Republican in this last election, with hopes they had some brilliant, cohesive plan for health care; what did you believe they sold you on? What was the plan you believed they had?
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
How can America be so great yet our neighboring country has FREE HEALTH CARE for the rich and the poor....

America is not great, we're trying to make it great again. Keep up.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject:

^

There were many that didn't know that the expansion of Medicaid was part of Obamacare. There were those that didn't know that Obamacare and ACA was the same thing, even though they might have benefited from purchasing a good plan on the exchanges. There were those that thought they had "insurance" previously, were forced to purchase a new plan that was likely more expansive as a result of ACA, and want to go back to the old system where their insurance plan was a bunch of cheap junk. And there were those that just hate Obama, even if he somehow benefited them.

There are some - the Rand Paul Republicans and other conservatives - who falsely believe that getting rid of all regulations and introducing "competition" will make everything better and cheaper, even though that has never happened in history in the context of healthcare.

Trump's base was convinced that his "deal making" and "negotiation" talents would somehow produce something good. And just like he didn't understand, they don't understand the incredible complexity of this issue.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject:

US Soldier admits to killing unarmed Afghans for sport

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2011/mar/23/us-soldier-admits-killing-afghans
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:

Don't feed me

We aren't the terrorists
We don't negotiate with terrorists, we create them.
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject:

And we tell ourselves that we are the good guys... Disgusting.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
^

There were many that didn't know that the expansion of Medicaid was part of Obamacare. There were those that didn't know that Obamacare and ACA was the same thing, even though they might have benefited from purchasing a good plan on the exchanges. There were those that thought they had "insurance" previously, were forced to purchase a new plan that was likely more expansive as a result of ACA, and want to go back to the old system where their insurance plan was a bunch of cheap junk. And there were those that just hate Obama, even if he somehow benefited them.

There are some - the Rand Paul Republicans and other conservatives - who falsely believe that getting rid of all regulations and introducing "competition" will make everything better and cheaper, even though that has never happened in history in the context of healthcare.

Trump's base was convinced that his "deal making" and "negotiation" talents would somehow produce something good. And just like he didn't understand, they don't understand the incredible complexity of this issue.

Maybe all this will one day lead to single payer system. We'd just need someone with the knowledge and charisma to deliver it to the public in a way that makes sense.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
the association wrote:

I knew I liked you.... all about San Diego as a former San Diego native. But, in all seriousness, AH and others who aren't true and blue liberals want Dems to reach across the aisle. To be fair, AH and those left in the middle would also want the Republicans to reach out too.

However, the issue is that you can't try to compromise with a bully. You give a bully an inch, and they take a mile. And that is exactly what the GOP is... a group of bullies. They have no interest in progress or compromise, just winning and bravado. They lie, know you know they are lying and expect you to look the other way anyway.

Until the Republican party shifts back to a party which cares about people, rather than corporations and keeping their seats, you just can't reach across the aisle or be completely taken advantage of. We saw this for the last 6 years, and we see it now with that utter lack of motivation to do anything resembling credibility or integrity in their current agendas

Well said.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject:

IceInMyVeins wrote:

There are thousands and thousands of upstanding men and women in our military who serve more than honorably. Painting them all as evil because of the heinous acts of a tiny handful of rouge soldiers acting way outside of their code of conduct is unreasonable, disrespectful and highly unfair.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
the association wrote:

Until the Republican party shifts back to a party which cares about people, rather than corporations and keeping their seats, you just can't reach across the aisle or be completely taken advantage of. We saw this for the last 6 years, and we see it now with that utter lack of motivation to do anything resembling credibility or integrity in their current agendas

Well said.

Not even hiding it at all anymore. Never about USA, always about GOP partisanship:

Reporters asked why, after Republicans held dozens of nearly-unanimous votes to repeal Obamacare under President Obama, they were getting cold feet now that they control the levers of power.

“Sometimes you’re playing Fantasy Football and sometimes you’re in the real game,” Rep. Joe Barton (R-TX) said. “We knew the president, if we could get a repeal bill to his desk, would almost certainly veto it. This time we knew if it got to the president’s desk it would be signed.”

Paul Ryan: 'We're not going to give up on destroying the health care system for the American people'

Last edited by governator on Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
IceInMyVeins wrote:

There are thousands and thousands of upstanding men and women in our military who serve more than honorably. Painting them all as evil because of the heinous acts of a tiny handful of rouge soldiers acting way outside of their code of conduct is unreasonable, disrespectful and highly unfair.

Did I do that though? When did I say that?

If anything isn't you guys that paint every muslim as a terrorist?

Last edited by PRLakeShow on Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject:

IceInMyVeins wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
IceInMyVeins wrote:

If anything isn't you guys that paint every muslin as a terrorist?

Excuse me?
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
^

to the bolded. which is why Donald Trump is now trying to push towards TAX reform. Since thats a field he has more knowledge of. He had zero clue about healthcare. NON. He darn near admitted as much after they were trying to iron out that silly paul ryan bill.
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
IceInMyVeins wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
IceInMyVeins wrote:

If anything isn't you guys that paint every muslin as a terrorist?

Excuse me?

Well he assumed that I painted everyone in the military evil like those few bastards. So I'm just doing the same. What's so wrong about what I did that is not on what he did?
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject:

Said pics linked in this article. WARNING VERY GRAPHIC.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/the-kill-team-20110327
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject:

IceInMyVeins wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
IceInMyVeins wrote:

Seriously?

Quote:
If anything isn't you guys that paint every muslim as a terrorist?

Who is "you guys"? Because I know you can't be possibly referring to me if you have paid any attention to anything.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 263, 264, 265 ... 3669, 3670, 3671  Next
Page 264 of 3671
Jump to: