THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 264, 265, 266 ... 3671, 3672, 3673  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
US Soldier admits to killing unarmed Afghans for sport

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2011/mar/23/us-soldier-admits-killing-afghans

Said pics linked in this article. WARNING VERY GRAPHIC.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/the-kill-team-20110327

Quote:
Another photo of Afghan children. According to one soldier, members of 3rd Platoon also talked about a scenario in which they “would throw candy out in front and in the rear of the Stryker; the Stryker would then run the children over.”

oh (bleep)
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
IceInMyVeins wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
IceInMyVeins wrote:

And we tell ourselves that we are the good guys... Disgusting.

There are thousands and thousands of upstanding men and women in our military who serve more than honorably. Painting them all as evil because of the heinous acts of a tiny handful of rouge soldiers acting way outside of their code of conduct is unreasonable, disrespectful and highly unfair.

Did I do that though? When did I say that?

Seriously?

Quote:
If anything isn't you guys that paint every muslim as a terrorist?

Who is "you guys"? Because I know you can't be possibly referring to me if you have paid any attention to anything.

So you assumed (bleep) just because...
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject:

IceInMyVeins wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
IceInMyVeins wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
IceInMyVeins wrote:

There are thousands and thousands of upstanding men and women in our military who serve more than honorably. Painting them all as evil because of the heinous acts of a tiny handful of rouge soldiers acting way outside of their code of conduct is unreasonable, disrespectful and highly unfair.

Seriously?

Quote:

Who is "you guys"? Because I know you can't be possibly referring to me if you have paid any attention to anything.

It's you who is doing the assuming, and couldn't be doing so more incorrectly.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject:

I'm surprised Obama has stayed quiet today - showing a lot of class.
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
IceInMyVeins wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
IceInMyVeins wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
IceInMyVeins wrote:

Seriously?

Quote:

But you are incorrect...
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject:

IceInMyVeins wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
IceInMyVeins wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
IceInMyVeins wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
IceInMyVeins wrote:

Seriously?

Quote:

But you are incorrect...

That's a Trumpian level attempt at deflection and it's just as pathetic.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:49 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
IceInMyVeins wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
IceInMyVeins wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
IceInMyVeins wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
IceInMyVeins wrote:

Seriously?

Quote:

But you are incorrect...

Dude you assumed I thought everyone in the military was as evil as these bastards. You made the initial incorrect assumption based on two bolded "we". Huge leap there by you.

And actually I didn't directly assume anything. I asked you something, and you answered.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
the association wrote:
I'd say (bleep), but I'm in San Diego, so I'll keep it classy instead.

AH, we'll have to agree to disagree ...

I knew I liked you.... all about San Diego as a former San Diego native. But, in all seriousness, AH and others who aren't true and blue liberals want Dems to reach across the aisle. To be fair, AH and those left in the middle would also want the Republicans to reach out too.

However, the issue is that you can't try to compromise with a bully. You give a bully an inch, and they take a mile. And that is exactly what the GOP is... a group of bullies. They have no interest in progress or compromise, just winning and bravado. They lie, know you know they are lying and expect you to look the other way anyway.

Until the Republican party shifts back to a party which cares about people, rather than corporations and keeping their seats, you just can't reach across the aisle or be completely taken advantage of. We saw this for the last 6 years, and we see it now with that utter lack of motivation to do anything resembling credibility or integrity in their current agendas.

I guess I need to expand on what I said, because you're not getting my point. I am not saying that Democrats need to do anything different from what they're doing right now. I am not saying that Democrats need to reach across the aisle.

I am concerned about the future of the country. There have been times when we have been deeply divided before. But never like this. We are getting to the point where two sizable segments of the electorate are so hostile to each other that it is difficult to imagine a reconciliation. To make matters worse, those segments seem to be growing, not shrinking. People in the middle (like me) are becoming the exception, not the rule.

So where does this lead? Suppose that the left takes control by 2020 and repeals everything that the right has done. Then the right regains control by 2024 and repeals everything that the left has done. Then the left regains control by 2028 . . . you get the point. We have two warring factions who define themselves through their hatred of each other. Temporary hegemony will be gained when your side is more angry than the other side, and nothing will make you more angry than having the other side in charge.

We don't seem to be moving toward a synthesis. I'd feel more optimistic if the left wasn't just as intolerant as the right, but that does not appear to be the case. Instead, the left tends to view the right as evil and depraved, and if someone is conservative, they must be stupid, racist, yada yada yada. This does not shame the right, but rather fuels it.

So how do we get out of this? The right will say that we do this by crushing the left (the fact that "liberal genocide" popped up in the news recently sent a chill down my spine). But the left says we do this by crushing the right.

This has escalated to the point where I cannot see a great moderate voice appearing and bringing the country back together. Neither party has any interest in moderates. Moderates aren't pure enough. So once again, how do we get out of this?
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject:

IceInMyVeins wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
IceInMyVeins wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
IceInMyVeins wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
IceInMyVeins wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
IceInMyVeins wrote:

Seriously?

Quote:

But you are incorrect...

Dude you assumed I thought everyone in the military was as evil as these bastards. You made the initial incorrect assumption based on two bolded "we". Huge leap there by you.

Not a leap at all, just an understanding of the English language.

Quote:
And actually I didn't directly assume anything. I asked you something, and you answered.

I'll ask again, who is "you guys"?
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
IceInMyVeins wrote:

Quote:

It is a leap and it was an incorrect assumption. I'm not expecting an apology though. I mean no way does a 30+k poster apologize for his actions right? That safety net must be nice.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject:

This story came up on TRMS tonight. Creepy stuff.

Quote:
Former national security advisor Mike Flynn discussed how to move a Turkish dissident from his residence in the United States while bypassing the extradition process, The Wall Street Journal reports.

In September, Flynn, a retired Army Lt. General acting as an unpaid advisor to President Donald Trump's campaign, met with high-level members of the Turkish government to talk about Muslim cleric Fethullah Gulen, who Turkey have accused of organizing the attempted military coup that took place last summer, according to former CIA Director James Woolsey, who attended the meeting.

"It seemed to be naive," Woolsey said of the discussion. "I didn't put a lot of credibility in it. This is a country of legal process and a Constitution, and you don't send out folks to haul somebody overseas."

Woolsey added that the discussions were entirely hypothetical, and that he would have objected if they had talked specific plans for removing Gulen from his home. Though Woolsey describes the idea discussed as "a covert step in the dead of night to whisk this guy away."

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/mike-flynn-turkey-erdogan-enemy/2017/03/24/id/780699/
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
The people who deserve credit for this bill tanking are the American People who showed up at thousands of town halls around the country, in Red States and Blue States, small rural towns and big cities They made their voices heard. Moderate Republican representatives who may have previously supported something like this were given pause when faced with REAL PEOPLE with REAL ILLNESSES in fear of losing their lives, their life savings or losing a child or spouse. They were forced to face real anger and real fear from their constituents. The Tea Party may have been against this from the right, but had there been enough Moderate Republican support in the "middle" it could well have passed. There is no doubt the moderates were afraid of backlash from the voting public.

Make no mistake, it was the American People who made this happen. Thanks to all the marchers and protesters and town hall attendees and Indivisible groups. Job well done. Keep it up.

Yep. Trump and Ryan were trying to thread a needle between the Freedom Caucus and the more moderate Republicans. The public anger insured that this was impossible. The GOP will still find a way to gut the ACA. They'll just need to be more subtle about it.
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject:

IceInMyVeins wrote:
nickuku wrote:
IceInMyVeins wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
IceInMyVeins wrote:

If anything isn't you guys that paint every muslin as a terrorist?

Excuse me?

Well he assumed that I painted everyone in the military evil like those few bastards. So I'm just doing the same. What's so wrong about what I did that is not on what he did?

Ice, emotions can run high in this thread especially when you're in the conversation. My advice is learn who is who and try to understand their dialect and intent when reading and responding. There can be a lot lost in translation if some comments are read too quickly or read in a bubble. My point is, read some things twice, put it down, walk away, think, come back, read again then comment 😉

I don't Always take my own advice fwiw
Ujah's Goat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject:

USA - where no real living happens, just slaving away at work and fear mongering. Crazy how divisions are so deep that it's impossible to have true discourse on what is actually occurring in this country.

I'm not comfortable raising my kids here.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject:

Who would win?

https://i.redd.it/074y4um80fny.jpg
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject:

IceInMyVeins wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
IceInMyVeins wrote:

Quote:

It is a leap and it was an incorrect assumption. I'm not expecting an apology though. I mean no way does a 30+k poster apologize for his actions right? That safety net must be nice.

You may want to get to know some of us before you go making assumptions like that - and like the one where you incorrectly lumped me in with the "all Muslims are terrorists" klan. I more than happy to apologize when there's reason to, and have done so many times in the past.

You know what I also have done? When I have worded my responses poorly (as you did), I say things like "a poor choice of words on my part, that was not my intent" and go on to explain rather than attack people for interpreting my words the way they were written.

Given what I have seen in this thread from you, I see a whole lot of admonishing others and a great deal of antagonism towards longtime posters you have made no attempt to get to know before you do so. Similar to how you have criticized the staff in regards to decisions you have no knowledge of the history of - and it's a staff how have routinely and consistently proven themselves to be reasonable and careful to err on the side of being fair and patient.

Maybe before you go around lecturing people in this community about what they are or aren't, you should take a little while to acclimate yourself to the community and get to know people. Just a thought.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
IceInMyVeins wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
IceInMyVeins wrote:

Quote:

You may want to get to know some of us before you go making assumptions like that - and like the one where you incorrectly lumped me in with the "all Muslims are terrorists" klan. I more than happy to apologize when there's reason to, and have done so many times in the past.

You know what I also have done? When I have worded my responses poorly (as you did), I say things like "a poor choice of words on my part, that was not my intent" and go on to explain rather than attack people for interpreting my words the way they were written.

Given what I have seen in this thread from you, I see a whole lot of admonishing others and a great deal of antagonism towards longtime posters you have made no attempt to get to know before you do so. Similar to how you have criticized the staff in regards to decisions you have no knowledge of the history of - and it's a staff how have routinely and consistently proven themselves to be reasonable and careful to err on the side of being fair and patient.

Maybe before you go around lecturing people in this community about what they are or aren't, you should take a little while to acclimate yourself to the community and get to know people. Just a thought.

I didn't assume anything, you did. Plain and simple.

Oh and my previous participation in this thread is what? Wanting a guy with a racist username banned? What's so wrong about that? Or can we put the n-word in our usernames now?

Last edited by PRLakeShow on Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Basketball fans tonight in several Republican-adjacent TV markets are enjoying a series of ads, prematurely bought by the American Action Network PAC, inviting viewers to call their representatives to thank them for repealing Obamacare today—something that did not happen.

Above you see an ad praising Virginia’s Barbara Comstock; it ran during the Wizards-Nets game. Below are ads for Fresno’s David Valadao and Des Moines’s David Young; both ran on CBS stations before March Madness coverage. Money well-spent, we think.

http://screengrabber.deadspin.com/basketball-fans-treated-to-ads-congratulating-republica-1793629526

Peeps over at the "L" factory are working overtime today,whew!

!...
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject:

The worm has turned. Trumps foolishness is taking it's toll. He can't fall back on bankruptcy to fix this. IMO Donald is the most inept president in American History. The snake oil salesman his been bitten. Will his remedy cure him? I don't think so.
Quote:
"The committee seeks additional information ... that can only be addressed in closed session," Nunes told reporters during a hastily arranged news conference.

Translation. We've been exposed.

LINK

Trump gave up on the appealing of ACA. What will he do when backed into a corner by Russia?

He blinked, shown how weak a leader he REALLY is.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject:

Interesting inside tidbit from a NYT reporter:

Quote:
Glenn Thrush ‏Verified account @GlennThrush

Trump, Bannon and Marc Short wanted to force a public vote to create a GOP enemies list of 'no' voters. Ryan said no

This does not bode well for their continued working relationship.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

I am concerned about the future of the country. There have been times when we have been deeply divided before. But never like this. We are getting to the point where two sizable segments of the electorate are so hostile to each other that it is difficult to imagine a reconciliation. To make matters worse, those segments seem to be growing, not shrinking. People in the middle (like me) are becoming the exception, not the rule.

I think everyone here is concerned about the future of our country. And as such, here's a sincere question without any intended antagonism or snark . . .

As someone who describes himself as "in the middle", where do you see this current climate of division and hostility deriving from? Are you open to the idea that the obstructionism and antagonism from the GOP in regards to Obama administration over the last 8 years helped fuel the incendiary device that has ignited over the last year and a half? You appear to feel that the Right's aggressive rise over the Obama administration is something that should be understood, but that the Left's response to it is something that's not acceptable nor understandable (that's an observation rather than an accusation).

Again sincere question without pre-judgement.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject:

IceInMyVeins wrote:

"If anything isn't you guys that paint every muslin as a terrorist?"

Not only that, you assumed that because I have 30k posts that I was someone who is unapologetic and not open to admitting an error AND that because of my post count that I somehow have some kind of "shield". I can assure you that there has been many an instance when I have been appropriately admonished for things I have posted and have even been given one or two of those "time outs" the mods have described. That's not to say that I haven't been afforded some leeway at times, but that leeway has come from a recognition of an effort to try to be a productive and respectful member of the community at large and to respond to input when I may have stepped out of that.

Quote:
Oh and my previous participation in this thread is what? Wanting a guy with a racist username banned? What's so wrong about that? Or can we put the n-word in our usernames now?

I'm no fan of frijo's politics. But he's a member who has spent a great deal of time here and who has been deemed by the staff to be worthy of continuing to be part of the community. Rather than engage in an publicly aggressive campaign to get him banned for a username, why not engage your concerns about the username with the staff through appropriate channels in an effort to request that that they ask him to change it?
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
The worm has turned. Trumps foolishness is taking it's toll. He can't fall back on bankruptcy to fix this. IMO Donald is the most inept president in American History. The snake oil salesman his been bitten. Will his remedy cure him? I don't think so.
Quote:
"The committee seeks additional information ... that can only be addressed in closed session," Nunes told reporters during a hastily arranged news conference.

Translation. We've been exposed.

LINK

Trump [b]gave up
on the appealing of ACA. What will he do when backed into a corner by Russia?[/b]

He blinked, shown how weak a leader he REALLY is.

Not sure why you want him to keep trying to repeal the ACA. The health care law has basically entrenched itself into the system like the GOP said it would. It is pretty much impossible to get rid of it now without coming up with a better solution. People are dependent on it now like most government programs that come to fruition.
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
IceInMyVeins wrote:

"If anything isn't you guys that paint every muslin as a terrorist?"

Not only that, you assumed that because I have 30k posts that I was someone who is unapologetic and not open to admitting an error AND that because of my post count that I somehow have some kind of "shield". I can assure you that there has been many an instance when I have been appropriately admonished for things I have posted and have even been given one or two of those "time outs" the mods have described. That's not to say that I haven't been afforded some leeway at times, but that leeway has come from a recognition of an effort to try to be a productive and respectful member of the community at large and to respond to input when I may have stepped out of that.

Quote:

I'm no fan of frijo's politics. But he's a member who has spent a great deal of time here and who has been deemed by the staff to be worthy of continuing to be part of the community. Rather than engage in an publicly aggressive campaign to get him banned for a username, why not engage your concerns about the username with the staff through appropriate channels in an effort to request that that they ask him to change it?

Just a question, not an assumption.

I tried, but mods didn't do (bleep). So I ask again, can we use the n-word in our usernames now? How about greaser? Wog? We know beaner is accepted.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject:

^Enough. This is something being discussed by the mods. Leave it be and stop derailing this thread about it. This is your only warning.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 264, 265, 266 ... 3671, 3672, 3673  Next
Page 265 of 3673
Jump to: