THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 266, 267, 268 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:45 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
I'd add that Democrats have always tried to work with Republicans, even when they didn't have to. And were punished for it. While there have been bipartisan bills, they've been initiated by the left, not the right. The next time the Republicans approach the Dems to work with them will be the first time in more than a decade.

Yeah I can accept the points about elements of the left being intolerant but it's a pretty big false equivalence. Most of the people I know are liberals and I've never heard anyone speak of desires to crush the right. My right wing friends have a palpable hatred for liberals. I don't think the problem is that the majority has become the far left and far right and we need someone in the middle. It's that the Democratic party has become what once was the middle, and the mainstream Republican party has moved massively to the right. The middle moved.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject:

Republicans, in its current outfit, are either incapable of governing, unwilling to govern, or some combination thereof. You can't reach across the aisle to these people. There are programmed like ideolgue-bots to do one thing...destroy. Look at what happened this week. This is Republicans attempting to govern. This is what it looks like. You have a group of psychopaths who despise government, working poor people. These elected devils wouldn't spit on you if you were on fire. AND YET, they have no problem usurping all the benefits of government for themselves. They happily take the lifetime platinum-grade health care and glorious government pension for themselves while simultaneously fighting each other over how much they want to screw YOU, the people who actually vote for these demons. But I'm supposed to believe that because I as a progressive and a librul call these devils and the simpletons who support them out on their destructive idiocy makes me no better than them?? No sir, no ma'am.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject:

[list=]v[/list]
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
I think everyone here is concerned about the future of our country. And as such, here's a sincere question without any intended antagonism or snark . . .

As someone who describes himself as "in the middle", where do you see this current climate of division and hostility deriving from? Are you open to the idea that the obstructionism and antagonism from the GOP in regards to Obama administration over the last 8 years helped fuel the incendiary device that has ignited over the last year and a half? You appear to feel that the Right's aggressive rise over the Obama administration is something that should be understood, but that the Left's response to it is something that's not acceptable nor understandable (that's an observation rather than an accusation).

Again sincere question without pre-judgement.

My immediate reaction was to answer that it grew out of conservative talk radio, starting in the '80s. On further thought, though, it would probably be more accurate to say that it has its roots in Nixon's Southern Strategy and the Reagan Revolution. Once the political parties became truly polarized, with the conservatives leaving the Democratic Party entirely, everything else follows logically.

So if your point is that the hard line politics and extremism started on the right, then sure, that's true. But so what? It doesn't matter whether Billy or Bobby threw the first clump of mud. At this point, we have a mud fight, and everyone is getting splattered.

I'm not so much critical of the left's response as I am alarmed by it. I understand it. But when our politics are dominated by mirror image factions on the left and right, how do we get out of the trap? The insistence on pointing the finger at the right ("He started it, mom!") is a symptom of the problem, not a solution.

I appreciate the thoughtful question and the thoughtful answer, but there's a bit of a magnitude issue I think you are downplaying, as well as an ongoing frequency issue. It wasn't a first punch, it was a fusillade of bullets designed to bring down the system and the left, and it hasn't stopped. The GOP has become a social/religious identity party run by and for the very wealthy, and they figured how to hack the system, and part of that hack meant using the left's belief in the system when the right was in the minority, and then dumping any pretense when ruling. If one group will not compromise or respect the minority when in power or the majority when not, you are at an existential precipice.

The left has just come around to the idea that you will never work with this brand of ideology. You either defeat it or it you, and it is pure ideological war.
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
[list=]v[/list]
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
I think everyone here is concerned about the future of our country. And as such, here's a sincere question without any intended antagonism or snark . . .

As someone who describes himself as "in the middle", where do you see this current climate of division and hostility deriving from? Are you open to the idea that the obstructionism and antagonism from the GOP in regards to Obama administration over the last 8 years helped fuel the incendiary device that has ignited over the last year and a half? You appear to feel that the Right's aggressive rise over the Obama administration is something that should be understood, but that the Left's response to it is something that's not acceptable nor understandable (that's an observation rather than an accusation).

Again sincere question without pre-judgement.

My immediate reaction was to answer that it grew out of conservative talk radio, starting in the '80s. On further thought, though, it would probably be more accurate to say that it has its roots in Nixon's Southern Strategy and the Reagan Revolution. Once the political parties became truly polarized, with the conservatives leaving the Democratic Party entirely, everything else follows logically.

So if your point is that the hard line politics and extremism started on the right, then sure, that's true. But so what? It doesn't matter whether Billy or Bobby threw the first clump of mud. At this point, we have a mud fight, and everyone is getting splattered.

I'm not so much critical of the left's response as I am alarmed by it. I understand it. But when our politics are dominated by mirror image factions on the left and right, how do we get out of the trap? The insistence on pointing the finger at the right ("He started it, mom!") is a symptom of the problem, not a solution.

I appreciate the thoughtful question and the thoughtful answer, but there's a bit of a magnitude issue I think you are downplaying, as well as an ongoing frequency issue. It wasn't a first punch, it was a fusillade of bullets designed to bring down the system and the left, and it hasn't stopped. The GOP has become a social/religious identity party run by and for the very wealthy, and they figured how to hack the system, and part of that hack meant using the left's belief in the system when the right was in the minority, and then dumping any pretense when ruling. If one group will not compromise or respect the minority when in power or the majority when not, you are at an existential precipice.

The left has just come around to the idea that you will never work with this brand of ideology. You either defeat it or it you, and it is pure ideological war.

And that's how you stick the landing ... 10.0 from the Russian judge, who'll incidentally be dead in the streets from "completely unrelated" polonium poisoning by sundown.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
Huey Lewis & The News wrote:

http://i.imgur.com/ymdviJp.jpg

That's pretty funny.

LINK

What's funny to me is The Donald's blaming the Democrats for the failure of his plan to pass on Democrats and he didn't need 1 Democrat vote for it to pass. His party rejected him.

No they didn't.
They didn't want to attach their name to a bad bill.
Many of those members of Congress swept into power because of the promise of an Obamacare repeal. Now they would look like hypocrites if they voted for an Obamacare lite bill that is a worse bill but isn't a full repeal. So they cared about their own political future and promise to their constituents. They also know very well that Obamacare can still fail on its own if you cut off its funding sources and starve the beast.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

That's pretty funny.

LINK

What's funny to me is The Donald's blaming the Democrats for the failure of his plan to pass on Democrats and he didn't need 1 Democrat vote for it to pass. His party rejected him.

No they didn't.
Many of those members of Congress swept into power because of the promise of an Obamacare repeal. Now they would look like hypocrites if they voted for an Obamacare lite bill that is a worse bill but isn't a full repeal. So they cared about their own political future and promise to their constituents. They also know very well that Obamacare can still fail on its own if you cut off its funding sources and starve the beast.

Translation; They abandoned him another form of rejected. For whatever reasons they didn't go along with Donald.

There will be consequences. Who will be hurt most, Donald or those who voted no, is unknown

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject:

Between LS, ocho, Omar et al, who state things so succinctly and far more eloquently than I would, I feel anything I would say would be redundant and not nearly as insightful.

Though I will add that any belligerence or intolerance that emanates from the Left is in response to an environment not of their creation and is the result of attitudes and antagonism that is ingrained in the Right as a core of their beliefs and way of life. As someone on the Left, in the past I may not have agreed with much of Republican policy, but I had no animosity towards the party and people on the Right as a whole until quite recently. And the animosity that exists now is from the aggressive bombardment by the Right of not only Liberal policy, but liberals themselves.

One can claim that if a bully continues to berate the bullied until the bullied respond in kind, the battle them becomes mutual and both parties are to blame if there's no resolution or de-escalation of the battle. But it is a foolish claim, because it isn't just a matter of the bully starting it. It's important to note that the bully started it because of inherent aggressiveness and lack of respect within them - something that didn't exist in the bullied who merely respond to the attacks.

And that's why the whole "both sides are the same" is complete and utter BS. Those on the Left aren't antagonistic by nature. They have become angered and enraged by the antagonism that IS the nature of the Right.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

That's pretty funny.

LINK

No they didn't.

Translation; They abandoned him another form of rejected. For whatever reasons they didn't go along with Donald.

There will be consequences. Who will be hurt most, Donald or those who voted no, is unknown

Trump has a death grip hold on his base but there is a faction within GOP that has a foot hold in that same base... the tea party or whatever they're called now. They're the only GOP that, if speaking politically, doesn't have to care about what Trump say about them.
I don't know what happened to the GOP health bill but could it be because tea party wouldn't go along with it?
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

For purposes of this specific discussion (but not other discussions), I don't care about magnitude or frequency. I don't care whether Billy or Bobby started the mud fight, and I don't care who threw more mud. I don't care about equivalence or false equivalence. I don't care whether the left is justified in attacking the right, or vice versa, and I'm not saying that either side has a moral obligation to cave into the other side.

I'm talking about where we are as a country. As you put it, it is pure ideological war. You feel a need to defeat the other side. Well, they feel a corresponding need to defeat you.

But no one is going to win. The right is in ascendancy right now, and the only reason why they are not cramming a right wing agenda down your throat is that Trump and Ryan are inept. In time, they will gut Obamacare, they will tear down a lot of things that you care about, and they will create things that you hate.

So maybe by 2020 the left will be in ascendancy again, and the left will reconstruct Obamacare (or pass a single payer system), rebuild the things that you care about, and tear down the things that you hate. And by 2024, the right will be in ascendancy again . . .

So how do we get out of this? If your solution is to dream that the far right is going to fade away, good luck with that. Barring liberal genocide or conservative genocide (and I mean that facetiously), the other side is not going away. The two sides' hatred of each other is fuel for the fire, not a fire extinguisher.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject:

Click on link to read the whole twitter thread.

Quote:
(THREAD) BREAKING: Harvard professor and @CNN political analyst Juliette Kayyem says, per sources, Michael Flynn may have flipped on Trump.

Quote:
(1) First, as an attorney I want to make clear that, if this @CNN analyst's sources are correct, the #Russiagate scandal is blown wide open.

Quote:
(2) The FBI flips witnesses, turning them into cooperating individuals, _only_ when they can help secure conviction of a bigger "target."

Quote:
(3) Michael Flynn was the National Security Adviser for the President of the United States. The only _bigger_ target is Donald J. Trump.

https://twitter.com/SethAbramson/status/845719948018302977
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Click on link to read the whole twitter thread.

Quote:
(THREAD) BREAKING: Harvard professor and @CNN political analyst Juliette Kayyem says, per sources, Michael Flynn may have flipped on Trump.

Quote:
(1) First, as an attorney I want to make clear that, if this @CNN analyst's sources are correct, the #Russiagate scandal is blown wide open.

Quote:
(2) The FBI flips witnesses, turning them into cooperating individuals, _only_ when they can help secure conviction of a bigger "target."

Quote:
(3) Michael Flynn was the National Security Adviser for the President of the United States. The only _bigger_ target is Donald J. Trump.

https://twitter.com/SethAbramson/status/845719948018302977

Read last night that Flynn is headed to prison for discussing abducting/kidnapping a cleric Turkey blamed for the recent coup attempt

Discussion was with some intelligence agency member..

Poor President Alligator.. Putin would've gotten rid of Flynn sooner..
I have a strong feeling we may see a charge or two of treason given to person (s) in this admin

"I Love WikiLeaks" says trump when they are doing his and Putin's dirty work
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject:

Interesting, though I disagree that the only bigger target is Trump. This is, shall we say, a target rich environment. For example, what if the target is Ergodan? Or Putin?

But yeah, the idea that he would turn on Trump is appealing.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject:

A primer on the upcoming tax reform push:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-congress-taxation-idUSKBN16V2S0

A border adjustment tax. Holy avocados, Batman!
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject:

There are different aspects to #RussiaGate and Flynn is only connected to one part. Paul Manafort, Roger Stone and Carter Paige also potentially have damaging goods on the Big Cheese. Those three were set to testify before House committee next week before Nunes suddenly cancelled. Parts are definitely in motion.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject:

Washington Post: Trump supporter thought president would only deport ‘bad hombres.’ Instead, her husband is being deported.

Quote:
When Helen Beristain told her husband she was voting for Donald Trump last year, he warned her that the Republican nominee planned to “get rid of the Mexicans.”

Defending her vote, Helen quoted Trump directly, noting that the tough-talking Republican said he would only kick the “bad hombres” out of the country, according to the South Bend Tribune.

Months later, Roberto Beristain — a successful businessman, respected member of his Indiana town and father of three American-born children — languishes in a detention facility with hardened criminals as he awaits his deportation back to Mexico, the country he left in 1998 when he entered the United States illegally.

“I wish I didn’t vote at all,” Helen Beristain told the Tribune. “I did it for the economy. We needed a change.”
Raijin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Washington Post: Trump supporter thought president would only deport ‘bad hombres.’ Instead, her husband is being deported.

Quote:
When Helen Beristain told her husband she was voting for Donald Trump last year, he warned her that the Republican nominee planned to “get rid of the Mexicans.”

Defending her vote, Helen quoted Trump directly, noting that the tough-talking Republican said he would only kick the “bad hombres” out of the country, according to the South Bend Tribune.

Months later, Roberto Beristain — a successful businessman, respected member of his Indiana town and father of three American-born children — languishes in a detention facility with hardened criminals as he awaits his deportation back to Mexico, the country he left in 1998 when he entered the United States illegally.

“I wish I didn’t vote at all,” Helen Beristain told the Tribune. “I did it for the economy. We needed a change.”

Much deserved.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject:

Raijin wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Quote:

Much deserved.

That's cruel. I don't think any family deserves to be pulled apart based on who they voted for or even their own incompetency. I want Trump voters to learn their lesson, but I experience no joy in seeing ignorant, yet relatively innocent, people or families suffer.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

For purposes of this specific discussion (but not other discussions), I don't care about magnitude or frequency. I don't care whether Billy or Bobby started the mud fight, and I don't care who threw more mud. I don't care about equivalence or false equivalence. I don't care whether the left is justified in attacking the right, or vice versa, and I'm not saying that either side has a moral obligation to cave into the other side.

I'm talking about where we are as a country. As you put it, it is pure ideological war. You feel a need to defeat the other side. Well, they feel a corresponding need to defeat you.

But no one is going to win. The right is in ascendancy right now, and the only reason why they are not cramming a right wing agenda down your throat is that Trump and Ryan are inept. In time, they will gut Obamacare, they will tear down a lot of things that you care about, and they will create things that you hate.

So maybe by 2020 the left will be in ascendancy again, and the left will reconstruct Obamacare (or pass a single payer system), rebuild the things that you care about, and tear down the things that you hate. And by 2024, the right will be in ascendancy again . . .

So how do we get out of this? If your solution is to dream that the far right is going to fade away, good luck with that. Barring liberal genocide or conservative genocide (and I mean that facetiously), the other side is not going away. The two sides' hatred of each other is fuel for the fire, not a fire extinguisher.

Again, in your quite reasonable (and self serving, as we all are to some degree) search for a middle ground, you are missing the major point. The right launched this war, and they have prosecuted and continue to prosecute it as a winner take all affair. After some long attempts at a coexisting solution, the middle-left has realized that it doesn't matter what they want, they are locked in a kill or die battle of the Right's choosing, and the only way to survive it is to win it.

It does matter who started it and why, because it affects how it is fought and will end. The far right is a win or die cult. You can say that both sides are now equally invested in killing the other, and that's fair, just as long as you also understand that one side made this the reality for both sides.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject:

FWIW, social who did what to who aside, fiscal conservatism will not factually work, because it is based at its core on a premise that only favors a very few, so either you have to have a dictator propping up the oligarchy, or you are bound to ultimately fail. Russia solved the problem by just going strait to oligarchy and government as one, which is exactly what Trump is after.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject:

I think one of the big urges toward moral relativism is the uncomfortable reality that if you vote for the GOP, you are one of four groups:

The uber wealthy taking care of business.

An overt bigot.

A person who is not overtly bigoted, but consciously ok with being allied with bigots for other gain. A passive bigot.

A person who is unconsciously ok with being allied with bigots for other gain. A closeted passive bigot.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:22 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
I think one of the big urges toward moral relativism is the uncomfortable reality that if you vote for the GOP, you are one of four groups:

An overt bigot.

A person who is not overtly bigoted, but consciously ok with being allied with bigots for other gain. A passive bigot.

A person who is unconsciously ok with being allied with bigots for other gain. A closeted passive bigot.

Or as the woman in the story above proved, some combination of the above but primarily someone extremely gullible, not very well informed with the ability to compartmentalize and block out what she didn't want to hear and a skewed view of the economic facts on the ground.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

An overt bigot.

As I said at the beginning of this discussion, it disturbs me to see that large segments of the left are just as intolerant and prone to stereotyping as large segments of the right. This actually fuels the right.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject:

The Nixon Southern Strategy which has been adopted by the GOP and passed down all the way through to Trump is PREDICATED on exploiting the RACISM (and strong racial attitudes conscious and subconscious) that exists in the electorate, primarily in the Red States and Red parts of Blue States.

How can a party have a strategy predicated on winning over large numbers of racists if no racists exist?

After the passage of the Civil Rights legislation, the parties reorganized themselves. And most of the racists left one party and joined the other.

Liberals didn't make that up. We're just pointing it out.

Note: Obviously, that doesn't mean all Republicans are racists or no Democrats are racists. But there is a huge difference between the parties along these racial fault lines.

Last edited by ChefLinda on Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:54 pm; edited 3 times in total
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject:

http://www.nationalenquirer.com/photos/donald-trump-russian-influence-washington/

^^
Quote:
This story is huge, and here’s why.

No one should believe anything the National Enquirer writes. The fact that the National Enquirer says Flynn is a Russian spy likely means Flynn isn’t a Russian spy. But this story matters because the man who runs the National Enquirer, David Pecker, is a huge longtime friend of Trump. The Enquirer only runs stories that help Trump. And there is no way the Enquirer would run this story unless Team Trump thought this story helped Trump.

http://americablog.com/2017/03/national-enquirer-brands-flynn-russian-spy-trump-just-threw-flynn-bus.html
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject:

They're trying to thrown Flynn under the bus and save themselves. Pretty sure we're long past the point of no return on that strategy. But Trump is more than likely trying to inoculate his core true believers -- who likely get their news from that tabloid rag in addition to Fox and Breitbart.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 266, 267, 268 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next
Page 267 of 3663
Jump to: