THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3069, 3070, 3071 ... 3669, 3670, 3671  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:08 pm    Post subject:

The Former Guy would have done some good if he had not kept his vaccination secret and promoted the collective benefits of getting a vaccine. All he cared about is to brag how he created the vaccine, but wanted no part in promoting the vaccine among his crazy base.

We might reach a point very soon where all the people that wanted to get vaccinated will have both doses, and everybody else, tens of millions of people, will refuse to do it. And it might not be enough for effective herd immunity.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:54 pm    Post subject:

I have to think at least some portion will re-think getting the vaccine as they see their friends and family get it safely, easily and with no side effects. I hope.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:56 pm    Post subject:

The Senate Parliamentarian has okayed passing the infrastructure bill with just 50 votes, according to PBS News.
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:02 pm    Post subject:

FernieBee wrote:
The Senate Parliamentarian has okayed passing the infrastructure bill with just 50 votes, according to PBS News.

Quote:
The Senate parliamentarian has ruled that Democrats may amend the budget resolution they used for their Covid-19 relief bill and attach another set of reconciliation instructions to it, according to two sources familiar with the matter.

The ruling is a key step for Democrats as they weigh their options for moving infrastructure legislation, potentially giving them a route to pass new legislation without Republican votes. It's important to note, however, that some details are still going to have to be worked out with the parliamentarian, and it was not immediately clear whether it could be used to pass President Joe Biden's infrastructure plan.

"The Parliamentarian has advised that a revised budget resolution may contain budget reconciliation instructions. This confirms the Leader's interpretation of the Budget Act and allows Democrats additional tools to improve the lives of Americans if Republican obstruction continues," Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer's spokesman Justin Goodman told CNN in a statement Monday.

CNN
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:27 pm    Post subject:

FernieBee wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
...ever since I used to watch FIGHT BACK! with David Horowitz (how's that for a namedrop?

Effin' impressive namedrop! I used to watch that show, when I was a kid of 11 or 12.

Per wiki he died only 2 yrs ago at age 82 of complications from dementia. That's a harsh outtro, I hope he wasn't afflicted by it for too many years at the end.

This obviously could've ended ugly if it were a real gun. On 8/19/87, during a Fight Back segment, a guy somehow made it thru the set security iirc due to a connection to someone who worked there a la John Wilkes Booth. Look at the woman anchor's expression (her name escapes me). They pulled the feed before he could read it all for the obvious -- being that he would start shooting them and/or himself.

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:22 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
FernieBee wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
...ever since I used to watch FIGHT BACK! with David Horowitz (how's that for a namedrop?

Effin' impressive namedrop! I used to watch that show, when I was a kid of 11 or 12.

Per wiki he died only 2 yrs ago at age 82 of complications from dementia. That's a harsh outtro, I hope he wasn't afflicted by it for too many years at the end.

This obviously could've ended ugly if it were a real gun. On 8/19/87, during a Fight Back segment, a guy somehow made it thru the set security iirc due to a connection to someone who worked there a la John Wilkes Booth. Look at the woman anchor's expression (her name escapes me). They pulled the feed before he could read it all for the obvious -- being that he would start shooting them and/or himself.

Kirstie Wild and John Beard. I remember those days quite well. My good friend was GM and ABC VP John Severino's son . . . you may remember him, he ended every news broadcast with, "I'm John C. Severino, and I appreciate your comments."
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:53 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
The Former Guy would have done some good if he had not kept his vaccination secret and promoted the collective benefits of getting a vaccine. All he cared about is to brag how he created the vaccine, but wanted no part in promoting the vaccine among his crazy base.

We might reach a point very soon where all the people that wanted to get vaccinated will have both doses, and everybody else, tens of millions of people, will refuse to do it. And it might not be enough for effective herd immunity.

If the Former Guy had publicly gotten a vaccine and publicly promoted it, I have a feeling that some of his followers would accuse him of having sold out. That's how deeply ingrained all this anti-vax and anti-science sht is in our society these days.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:39 am    Post subject:

Mitch McConnell vs Mitch McConnell

For too long, some in this country have been deprived of full participation in the political process ... the Constitution protects their right to express themselves about political candidates and issues up until Election Day." And a ruling laying the groundwork for Citizens United actually bears McConnell's name, Slate's Mark Joseph Stern adds. I’m sure someone has already made this point. But the landmark 2003 Supreme Court case McConnell v. FEC had that name because Mitch McConnell himself filed a lawsuit against federal laws that limited corporations’ ability to spend money influencing elections.

vs

On Monday, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) warned of unspecified "serious consequences" if corporations and other "parts of the private sector keep dabbling in behaving like a woke parallel government." Later in the day, McConnell told big businesses to "stay out of politics."
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:03 am    Post subject:

McConnell looks like he smells of sulfur and dog crap.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:07 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:

So ridiculous. But this needs to be standard response for all Republicans these days.

Republicans vs. Republicans:

"We hate cancel culture."
vs.
"Don't buy Coke or fly on Delta or watch MLB."
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:11 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
FernieBee wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

Pretty sure Fight Back was one of my favorite shows when I was young. But I loved consumer reports stuff and investigative journalism books right along with comics, baseball cards, sports, etc.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:12 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
governator wrote:

So ridiculous. But this needs to be standard response for all Republicans these days.

vs.

"Corporations should stay out of politics"
vs.
"I'm not talking about financial contributions"
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:34 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
governator wrote:

vs.

"Corporations should stay out of politics"
vs.
"I'm not talking about financial contributions"

"I will move forward with impeachment conviction after the new President is sworn in"
and
"I won't convinct on impeachment because a new President has been sworn in"
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject:

Irony is something completely lost on RepubliCONs. You'd have to have some semblance of shame in order to recognize it.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:11 am    Post subject:

Daily Beast: Montana Governor Who Rescinded Mask Mandate Now Has COVID

Quote:
Montana Gov. Greg Gianforte, who rescinded the state’s mask mandate weeks after taking office, has tested positive for COVID-19. The 59-year-old Republican got the first dose of the Pfizer vaccine last Thursday, but since full protection doesn’t kick in until after the second dose, he would have still been vulnerable to infection. The Billings Gazette reports that he developed symptoms on Sunday after attending Easter services, tested positive on Monday, and will now quarantine for 10 days. It’s not clear how he contracted the virus or if he has infected others, but six members of the state legislature have also tested positive since January.

He rescinded the mask mandate, but of course personally took the vaccine, but then got COVID anyway.

#NoSympathy
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:19 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:

'He cut down regulations (aka testing requirement) to speed up the vaccine roll out, you liberal snowflakes should thank him for that!!!'

'But the vaccine didn't get tested like it normally would'
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:22 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Daily Beast: Montana Governor Who Rescinded Mask Mandate Now Has COVID

Quote:
Montana Gov. Greg Gianforte, who rescinded the state’s mask mandate weeks after taking office, has tested positive for COVID-19. The 59-year-old Republican got the first dose of the Pfizer vaccine last Thursday, but since full protection doesn’t kick in until after the second dose, he would have still been vulnerable to infection. The Billings Gazette reports that he developed symptoms on Sunday after attending Easter services, tested positive on Monday, and will now quarantine for 10 days. It’s not clear how he contracted the virus or if he has infected others, but six members of the state legislature have also tested positive since January.

He rescinded the mask mandate, but of course personally took the vaccine, but then got COVID anyway.

#NoSympathy

And it's crappy reporting on top of that:

-- People are still susceptible to the virus, even after two weeks have passed since the second dose. If the vaccine is 95% effective under current conditions, then one in 20 people who are exposed will contract the disease anyway.

-- The true efficacy is very susceptible to the amount of virus that's out there (i.e., what's the denominator?). If there's an outbreak in an area, then everyone is in more danger than if the virus has been tamped-down in that area.

-- The more the virus is allowed to hang around, the greater the chance of more new strains developing. A vaccine's efficacy can vary greatly dependent on the strain. (This is one of the reasons it sure would have been nice to effectively address the virus right away, and not let it keep brewing in the population for an extended amount of time.)

So I have a big problem with the article's "...since full protection doesn’t kick in until after the second dose, he would have still been vulnerable to infection." As though he wouldn't have been vulnerable after the second dose.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:27 pm    Post subject:

Nothing screams consciousness of guilt like begging for a blanket pardon before you're indicted.

NYT: Matt Gaetz, Loyal for Years to Trump, Is Said to Have Sought a Blanket Pardon

Quote:
The congressman was at the time under investigation over whether he violated sex trafficking laws, though it was unclear what he knew of the inquiry.

Quote:
Representative Matt Gaetz, Republican of Florida, was one of President Donald J. Trump’s most vocal allies during his term, publicly pledging loyalty and even signing a letter nominating the president for the Nobel Peace Prize.

In the final weeks of Mr. Trump’s term, Mr. Gaetz sought something in return. He privately asked the White House for blanket pre-emptive pardons for himself and unidentified congressional allies for any crimes they may have committed, according to two people told of the discussions.

Around that time, Mr. Gaetz was also publicly calling for broad pardons from Mr. Trump to thwart what he termed the “bloodlust” of their political opponents. But Justice Department investigators had begun questioning Mr. Gaetz’s associates about his conduct, including whether he had a sexual relationship with a 17-year-old that violated sex trafficking laws, in an inquiry that grew out of the case of an indicted associate in Florida.

It was unclear whether Mr. Gaetz or the White House knew at the time about the inquiry, or who else he sought pardons for. Mr. Gaetz did not tell White House aides that he was under investigation for potential sex trafficking violations when he made the request.
But top White House lawyers and officials viewed the request for a pre-emptive pardon as a nonstarter that would set a bad precedent, the people said.
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:27 pm    Post subject:

NYTimes

Quote:
Matt Gaetz, Loyal for Years to Trump, Is Said to Have Sought a Blanket Pardon.

The congressman was at the time under investigation over whether he violated sex trafficking laws, though it was unclear what he knew of the inquiry.

Representative Matt Gaetz, Republican of Florida, was one of President Donald J. Trump’s most vocal allies during his term, publicly pledging loyalty and even signing a letter nominating the president for the Nobel Peace Prize.

In the final weeks of Mr. Trump’s term, Mr. Gaetz sought something in return. He privately asked the White House for blanket pre-emptive pardons for himself and unidentified congressional allies for any crimes they may have committed, according to two people told of the discussions.

It was unclear whether Mr. Gaetz or the White House knew at the time about the inquiry, or who else he sought pardons for. Mr. Gaetz did not tell White House aides that he was under investigation for potential sex trafficking violations when he made the request. But top White House lawyers and officials viewed the request for a pre-emptive pardon as a nonstarter that would set a bad precedent, the people said.

Aides told Mr. Trump of the request, though it is unclear whether Mr. Gaetz discussed the matter directly with the president. Mr. Trump ultimately pardoned dozens of allies and others in the final months of his presidency, highlighting his willingness to wield his power to help close supporters and lash out against the criminal justice system.

In recent days, some Trump associates have speculated that Mr. Gaetz’s request for a group pardon was an attempt to camouflage his own potential criminal exposure.

Last edited by SweetP on Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:30 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:

Imagine being on the political side that is relegated to fostering the conditions that allow Covid (what they call the China Virus and worse) to expand because they refuse to wear masks and get vaccines because the OTHER political side is telling folks TO wear masks and get vaccines. And the Repub side believes they're the more patriotic of the two. Must be nice to feel good abut being that daft. When there is so much of the vaxes out there that you can simply go to CVS and get 'r done in an hour or less, there will be no one getting Covid but these people. And they'll become the starter pool for the more virulent strains that eventually defeat the Covid vaxxes currently being given.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:57 am    Post subject:

Quote:
CBS This Morning @CBSThisMorning

A recent poll found 49% of Republican men said they would not take the #COVID19 vaccine when it's available to them.

@DavidBegnaud looks at vaccine hesitancy and spoke with one man in Michigan who explains why he won't get vaccinated.

link
trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:23 am    Post subject:

I hope the trials for adolescents speed up so I can get my daughter vaccinated soon. Me, my wife, and mother-in-law are vaccinated, but I’m still reluctant to let my daughter play closely with other kids because I’m sure a decent number of the parents or grandparents of random kids on the playground are these cult of stupid “Republican men” troglodytes who refuse to get the vaccine.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:16 am    Post subject:

There's nothing wrong with (GOP) anti-vaxxers...that a swift kick in the ass, by the virus, won't cure.
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:44 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Quote:

A recent poll found 49% of Republican men said they would not take the #COVID19 vaccine when it's available to them.

@DavidBegnaud looks at vaccine hesitancy and spoke with one man in Michigan who explains why he won't get vaccinated.

link

They'd rather die than admit the Democrats are right about vaccines. In the meantime their leaders, including the head wacko have been vaccinated.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:48 am    Post subject:

Buck32 wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Quote:

link

They'd rather die than admit the Democrats are right about vaccines. In the meantime their leaders, including the head wacko have been vaccinated.

It would almost be more comforting if it were that simple. They simply won’t, can’t allow themselves to believe something that negates their cult programming. So they aren’t even able to make very plain and easy life and death decisions.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3069, 3070, 3071 ... 3669, 3670, 3671  Next
Page 3070 of 3671
Jump to: