THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3113, 3114, 3115 ... 3671, 3672, 3673  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:05 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
. . . Projection.

Projection is good: Trojan, Durex, LifeStyles, etc.

SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:22 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Wilt wrote:
Obamacare survives.

Supreme Court rejects challenge 7-2 on lack of standing.

They would have taken away pre-existing condition protection for EVERYONE, not just people getting insurance through the ACA exchanges. Would have made COVID a pre-existing condition. You can't destroy healthcare for an entire country, especially during a pandemic. Thankfully that was a bridge too far even for the conservatives (except for Gorsuch and Alito).

I used to wonder how a political party could blatantly try to take wages, safety, clean air and water, education, and health care away from a vast swath of their supporters and yet keep them as voters. Then I saw those people fighting to not wear masks and get vaccines during a deadly pandemic.

I had always been taught that the human survival instinct was the most primary of human instincts. But apparently anger, obstinance and hatred of liberals/science/medicine/rules/laws/people of color/and owning the libs supersedes that instinct. It's also testament to the power of brainwashing. And stupidity.

Tribe might be the strongest instinct.

Or fear basically of "other", with anger being an expression of that fear. And tribe being a way of protecting against other.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:42 am    Post subject:

SweetP wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Wilt wrote:
Obamacare survives.

They would have taken away pre-existing condition protection for EVERYONE, not just people getting insurance through the ACA exchanges. Would have made COVID a pre-existing condition. You can't destroy healthcare for an entire country, especially during a pandemic. Thankfully that was a bridge too far even for the conservatives (except for Gorsuch and Alito).

I used to wonder how a political party could blatantly try to take wages, safety, clean air and water, education, and health care away from a vast swath of their supporters and yet keep them as voters. Then I saw those people fighting to not wear masks and get vaccines during a deadly pandemic.

I had always been taught that the human survival instinct was the most primary of human instincts. But apparently anger, obstinance and hatred of liberals/science/medicine/rules/laws/people of color/and owning the libs supersedes that instinct. It's also testament to the power of brainwashing. And stupidity.

Or fear basically of "other", with anger being an expression of that fear. And tribe being a way of protecting against other.

There is no other (out group) without a tribe (in group). Tribe is an aggregation of the self, with social and numerical benefits.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:07 pm    Post subject:

As I post this Biden is signing a law making Juneteenth a federal holiday.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:07 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
It’s also because GOP (and Russian and other intelligence provocateurs) understand that if you can use sound bites and weaponize your opponents language, you have an upper hand. Of course it only works if you’re targeting a simpler audience with a simpler message. It’s always been the advantage of conservatism over liberalism. People get more selfish and tribal as they get older and greed, selfishness, and fear of the other getting your stuff is a powerful motivator. More powerful than actual self interest or self preservation. Liberalism is a concept and is rich in nuance and policy, and it is just easier to sell hate and anger and resentment.

I forgot that they quickly co-opted ____Lives Matter as a term that's OK for themselves while they did everything they could to claim the concept for black lives was BS. It's so fundamental this tactic that it slips your mind that they even stole --- Lives Matter for use in "All Lives Matter". Otherwise, the advertising industry co-opted the word "matters" to sell anything from expensive products down to stool softener. Gut bacteria matter. I heard it used in one of those commercials. I've stopped counting track of its use outside of its oringally intended use. Matters as a word has been more than ubiquitous for a number of years now.

They usurped the term woke as well. Woke this n woke that. It's a derogatory sling in how they use the word when it began as a positive word.

I hate Trumplicans.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:18 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:

I hate Trumplicans.

Ditto for Dumblicans.

ChefLinda

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:38 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Wilt wrote:
Obamacare survives.

The underlying assumption is that the tribe will protect you. Except the Red Tribe in the Red States is not protecting it's tribe. Worst health outcomes, worst education, worst employment, worst incomes, fewest hospitals and now lowest vaccination rates. The only people who are still being hospitalized and dying from COVID are the unvaccinated.

I get that allegiance to the tribe is based on emotion more than intellect -- but in reality it's costing people their lives. It's not rational.

The newest COVID variant is much more virulent and more easily transmitted than previous strains. If Red States don't catch up on the vaccines, it's about to go through a wave a deaths that will not be replicated in Blue States.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:52 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
The newest COVID variant is much more virulent and more easily transmitted than previous strains. If Red States don't catch up on the vaccines, it's about to go through a wave a deaths that will not be replicated in Blue States.

That's one way to tilt the voting numbers in the direction of Demz.

I'm just saying . . .
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:08 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Bianna Golodryga @biannagolodryga

Putin on the narrative portrayed (esp by Russian state media like RT, and some in the US), questioning Biden’s mental health “has nothing to do with reality. He had no jet lag, was cheerful, we spoke eye to eye 2+ hrs. He’s completely of sound mind and should be taken seriously.”

Quote:

Julia Ioffe @juliaioffe

Putin says that the image of Biden created by Russian/US media of a doddering old man suffering from dementia “has nothing to do with reality.” Says he didn’t seem affected by the jet lag, was energetic, and that you have to be on your toes with him “bc he doesn’t miss anything.”

“President Biden is an experienced statesman. He is very different from President Trump.”

Vlad is trolling Trump.

Last edited by SweetP on Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:26 pm    Post subject:

I try not to follow politics too much these days (for my sanity)...Is there anything that can be done to prevent manchin and sinema from sabotaging Biden's entire agenda?
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:19 am    Post subject:

FernieBee wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

That's one way to tilt the voting numbers in the direction of Demz.

Just be glad that your life doesn't depend on Mississippi's 2-shot vax percentage overtaking Vermont's. As long as you can avoid that, you're gold.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:28 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:

Play stupid games. Win stupid prizes.

We should restrict travel too. Don't need them coming to our states getting people sick.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:32 am    Post subject:

The mere fact the Repukelicans have such a followed standing is troubling.

Their aim is to take the country back to the days of separate water fountains, bathrooms, and lunch counters.

The party has people in seats of power that are able to further their wants, e.g. Republican governors. Their tool is voter suppression.

To be honest I'm nervous.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:48 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Sinema only Democrat to skip Harris’s bipartisan dinner for women in the Senate

Independent UK

I agree 100% with Omar when it comes to Sinema. Her conservatism and coziness with Republicans isn't even the optimal political strategy for her. Her state is blue and is only going to become more blue with time.

She kind of reminds me of Caitlin Jenner running for Governor in California. Sinema thinks her sexual orientation is enough on its own to appeal to liberals the same way Caitlin thinks her gender transition is enough on its own to appeal to liberals.

What they don't understand is, Democrats aren't idiots. We care about policy more than shallow appeals to "diversity".

Last edited by kikanga on Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:10 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

What they don't understand is, Democrats aren't idiots. We care about policy more than shallow appeals to "diversity".

Diverse traitors are still traitors.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:42 pm    Post subject:

SweetP wrote:
Quote:

Putin on the narrative portrayed (esp by Russian state media like RT, and some in the US), questioning Biden’s mental health “has nothing to do with reality. He had no jet lag, was cheerful, we spoke eye to eye 2+ hrs. He’s completely of sound mind and should be taken seriously.”

Quote:

Julia Ioffe @juliaioffe

Putin says that the image of Biden created by Russian/US media of a doddering old man suffering from dementia “has nothing to do with reality.” Says he didn’t seem affected by the jet lag, was energetic, and that you have to be on your toes with him “bc he doesn’t miss anything.”

“President Biden is an experienced statesman. He is very different from President Trump.”

Vlad is trolling Trump.

Aww, orange man's sugar daddy disavowed him.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:42 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
SweetP wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Julia Ioffe @juliaioffe

Vlad is trolling Trump.

Aww, orange man's sugar daddy disavowed him.

Putin is a very savvy politician. Trump has been peddling the notion that Russia and other "Enemies" are happier with Biden than him because Biden is doing what's best for them instead of what's best for th US. Putin making the contrast, and subtly praising Biden, plays into that narrative. It serves to further bolster the belief that Biden is weak with the Trumpian-'Merica crowd in hopes that they remain the most influential Repugnican voting Bloc that can force a Trumpian accolyte onto the ticket in 2024, as that best served Russia's interest.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:57 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Progressives crank up filibuster pressure on Sinema with million-dollar ad buy in Arizona
he ad campaign accuses the Democratic senator of putting a "Jim Crow relic" above voting rights. She supports the bill but not nixing the 60-vote rule that could keep it from passing.

NBCNews

I do understand how nixing the filibuster could hurt Democrats and thus America in the future. But there are just too many people hurting right now. Not possibly in future. Not hypothetically. Millions of Americans needing a change for the better now. And that far outweighs anything else.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:10 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Quote:
Progressives crank up filibuster pressure on Sinema with million-dollar ad buy in Arizona
he ad campaign accuses the Democratic senator of putting a "Jim Crow relic" above voting rights. She supports the bill but not nixing the 60-vote rule that could keep it from passing.

NBCNews

I do understand how nixing the filibuster could hurt Democrats and thus America in the future. But there are just too many people hurting right now. Not possibly in future. Not hypothetically. Millions of Americans needing a change for the better now. And that far outweighs anything else.

The important thing to remember is that the GOP will only honor the filibuster if it feels it has value to their party. Keeping the Dems tied up from passing policy when they control the senate has always been a Republican advantage that was worth, for example, not repealing the ACA, and because the GOP is not really a federal policy party (in the sense that they want to pass big pieces of legislation) so much as a “keep the government at bay on social issues and corrupt it to your influence on economics”, gridlock suits them.

But now, with this nationalist movement, there is a sense they want to take the senate and then legislate heavily to keep it and to prevent democrats from having the ability to pass policy. Under those circumstances, anyone who thinks they wouldn’t nuke the filibuster if it got in their way of total hegemony is fooling themselves. They’ve only kept it because up to now it has been rare and difficult for them to have and hold all three of the house senate and White House.

The simple fact is that if you can create fair voting standards, you don’t need a filibuster because the people will elect the representatives that actually represent them, and the people in power have the right to legislate.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:32 am    Post subject:

Biden’s Justice Dept may defend Trump in Capitol riot lawsuits

Quote:
WASHINGTON, June 22 (Reuters) - Former U.S. President Donald Trump may have an unlikely ally to defend him against lawsuits alleging he incited the U.S. Capitol insurrection: President Joe Biden’s Justice Department.

The Biden administration paved the way for that possibility, say constitutional scholars and lawyers in the cases, by arguing in an unrelated defamation case against Trump that presidents enjoy sweeping immunity for their comments while in office - and the right to a defense by government lawyers. Biden’s Justice Department used that rationale in a surprise decision this month to continue defending Trump in a case filed by E. Jean Carroll, who contends Trump raped her 25 years ago and then lied about it while in office, defaming her.

Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:39 pm    Post subject:

Dems are soft
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:42 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
Dems are soft

Republicans are lying, fascist, racist, immoral, greedy, selfish, power-hungry hypocrites.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:29 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Halflife wrote:
Dems are soft

Republicans are lying, fascist, racist, immoral, greedy, selfish, power-hungry hypocrites.

I agree. But the closer we get to 2022 and they refuse to start governing with an iron fist those racists will reclaim power.

Bidens whole approach of wanting to work together, turn the page etc has failed. His policies benefit the people so he should be like trump and use every bit of power. Whether its the right or wrong way.

No one who voted for biden will care if he takes some plays out of trumps playbook .
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:57 am    Post subject:

We're only 6 months in. And the first month the GOP stole by not handing over the gavel to Schumer. We are all frustrated, but Biden hasn't "failed." COVID recovery plan passed through reconciliation. We've gone from almost no federal vaccine program to 150M Americans vaccinated and the country opening up and getting somewhat back to norm. Employment up, economy up.

They are going through the motions of trying to work with R's on infrastructure plan so that when it falls through and proves to Joe Manchin that bi-partisanship was not possible, they will have 50 votes to pass infrastructure plan through reconciliation. They are currently drafting that plan with that outcome in mind.

Amy Klobuchar is going to hold Senate hearings OUT IN THE STATES about the GOP voter suppression laws and the need to pass the For The People Act. I guarantee you she's not just going to blue states. They are trying to whip up the public to put pressure on both R & D Senators to pass the act. Again, this is likely more for the benefit of Manchin and Sinema to prove that the GOP is actively to destroy democracy and altering the filibuster is the only backstop to full on fascism.

They are doing lots of things in the background to prepare for the long-game of fighting the Republicans.

But they aren't doing nothing.

The difference between Republicans and Democrats is that Democrats actually care about keeping Democracy intact and helping average Americans. The Republicans don't care about anything but their own power. They have taken the country hostage and they don't really care if the hostage dies. The Democrats do care and are trying to figure out how to rescue the hostage without the hostage dying.

Keeping Democracy intact means not breaking the law the way Trump and GOP does under the guise of the ends justify the means. They are trying to use the power they do have. They may appear "soft" by comparison to Republicans but the Republicans are basically criminal sociopaths at this point.

Remember, even Mitt Romney and Susan Collins and Lisa Murkowski said the For the People Act shouldn't even be debated. They want Republicans in the states to achieve their voter suppression tactics so Republicans can rule from the minority in perpetuity. They are as bad as McConnell and Trump. They are just more polite. They are politely trying to destroy Democracy while proclaiming Democrats are lying about the 5-alarm fire that R's are throwing gasoline on.

We are all upset and frustrated. But put the blame where the blame lies. Then call your Senators and Representatives and tell them you want them to pass the For the People's Act and the Voting Rights and that you want them to get rid of the filibuster. Then tell your friends in other states to do the same.

Look for an Indivisible group near you.

That's how regular people saved the ACA even though R's had all three branches. Regular people banded together to put pressure on politicians in all 50 states. They are doing that again with Voting rights. Instead of just complaining that "Dems are soft," join a grass roots advocacy group and do something to put pressure on them (and Republicans).
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:14 am    Post subject:

Well put
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3113, 3114, 3115 ... 3671, 3672, 3673  Next
Page 3114 of 3673
Jump to: