THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 313, 314, 315 ... 3669, 3670, 3671  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject:

Coming up this week on 'REPUBLICANS CANNOT GOVERN...'

Can a Republican President, House, and Senate pass...ANYTHING before the government shuts down???

Stay tuned...[but don't hold your breath, you'll die]
trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject:

Another Trump gem from the AP interview:

Quote:
“It had 9.2 million people. It’s the highest they’ve ever had. On any, on air, [CBS’ John] Dickerson had 5.2 million people,” he said.

“It’s the highest for ‘Face the Nation’ or as I call it, ‘Deface the Nation’. It’s the highest for ‘Deface the Nation’ since the World Trade Center. Since the World Trade Center came down. It’s a tremendous advantage.”

Yep, the *President of the United States used a terrorist attack that killed almost 3000 people to brag about television ratings. And said it was a "tremendous advantage."

Keep in mind this is also the douche that bragged in an interview after the towers fell that he suddenly owned the tallest tower in Manhattan.

Still boggles my mind every day that people voted for this.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
Quote:
Don't Bother to Wait for a Centrist Political Revival

I wasn't a big fan of PowerPoint presentations until I saw the one Tom Davis uses to depict some depressing trends in American politics. It shows polarization, which is no surprise. What's striking, though, is how he represents it graphically.

[...]

To demonstrate, Davis devised an instructive formula for Congress: Take the voting record of the most liberal Republican and the most conservative Democrat and then see how many members' voting records fall between them. That would identify moderate lawmakers to use as building blocks for bipartisan coalitions.

In the House of Representatives in 1982, 344 members fell into this in-between category. That was 79 percent of the legislators. In 2002, there were 137 moderates, or 31 percent. By 2014, a grand total of three House members were neither strikingly liberal nor strikingly conservative by Davis's measure.

The widening gap in the House can be partly attributed to factors like gerrymandering to create heavily partisan districts, and by residential patterns that tend to cluster like-minded people in the same communities.

But those factors can't explain the fact that patterns in the Senate are similar. In 1982, 58 Senators had voting records that fell between the most liberal Republican and the most conservative Democrat. In 2002, that number was down to seven. By 2014, there were none.

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2017-04-16/don-t-bother-to-wait-for-a-centrist-political-revival

That's an excellent article, or rather, excellent data, but the author makes a huge error IMO in interpreting it. He thinks that it means that both parties have moved away from the center. The depressing reality is that while the Democrats have actually become more centrist, the GOP has killed off anyone who would break ranks from their move hard right.

That's why, for example, someone like Joe Manchin isn't any less conservative than conservative Democrats from the 80's and 90's. In many cases, he may be more so. But there simply aren't any center right republicans anymore.

You're correct on that. I've seen the comparison more than once between Obama and Reagan. In the modern GOP, Reagan would be shunned and primaried out, similar to Arlen Specter. Even someone like Dick Lugar, who worked across the aisle on nuclear nonproliferation his whole career got hit. It's sad.

I mostly posted the article for the data, as you noted. Its pretty depressing, but confirms the huge gulf between the parties that I'm not sure is even solvable at this point.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject:

trmiv wrote:
Another Trump gem from the AP interview:

Quote:
“It had 9.2 million people. It’s the highest they’ve ever had. On any, on air, [CBS’ John] Dickerson had 5.2 million people,” he said.

“It’s the highest for ‘Face the Nation’ or as I call it, ‘Deface the Nation’. It’s the highest for ‘Deface the Nation’ since the World Trade Center. Since the World Trade Center came down. It’s a tremendous advantage.”

Yep, the *President of the United States used a terrorist attack that killed almost 3000 people to brag about television ratings. And said it was a "tremendous advantage."

Keep in mind this is also the douche that bragged in an interview after the towers fell that he suddenly owned the tallest tower in Manhattan.

Still boggles my mind every day that people voted for this.

scary how mixed up people can be...
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/marco-rubio-government-shutdown-destabilizing-impact-global-affairs/

Quote:
WASHINGTON -- Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Florida, said that a government shutdown would have a “destabilizing” impact on global affairs amid the ongoing conflict in Syria and as “potential crisis” is brewing with North Korea.

Rubio, who appeared on CBS News’ “Face the Nation” Sunday, said a fight over border wall funding is a “fight worth having” but that the “last thing” the U.S. can afford is the appearance that the country is “only partially functioning.”

I cannot stand this little cotton-mouth critter. Isn't this the same guy who had no problem shutting down the government behind Obamacare?

Congratulations America. You have elected a bunch of idiots. These miscreants control EVERYTHING and they still can't wipe their own (bleep) with a mirror and a hot soapy sponge.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject:

Quote:
In Chicago, Obama tells young leaders that ‘special interests dominate the debates in Washington’

CHICAGO — In his first public appearance since leaving the White House in January, former president Barack Obama told young leaders here Monday that “special interests dominate the debates in Washington” and that he had failed to realize his “aspirational” goal of uniting Americans in red and blue states.

“That was an aspirational comment,” the former president said of his famous 2004 Democratic National Convention speech, prompting laughter from the audience at the University of Chicago. He added that when talking to individual Americans from different political backgrounds, you learn that “there’s a lot more that people have in common” than it would appear. “But, obviously, it’s not true when it comes to our politics and our civic life.”

Obama, who has kept a relatively low public profile since the end of his second term, did not mention President Trump once during the 90-minute event. But he said he was determined to galvanize younger Americans to do more politically because they were the ones best positioned to bridge the current political divide.

[...]

And Obama probed the political divide that exists on college campuses, which tend to be overwhelmingly liberal. All of the hand-picked panel members were Democrats except for one Republican, University of Chicago undergraduate Max M. Freedman. Asked by Obama whether he has a hard time being heard on a college campus as a Republican, Freedman replied, “You can expect some level of ostracization from certain people.”

“There’s a significant empathy gap, not just here, but everywhere. ... We’ve cloistered ourselves,” Freedman said. “Civic engagement, at some point, will require a level of civility.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2017/04/24/in-chicago-obama-tells-young-leaders-that-special-interests-dominate-the-debates-in-washington/
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject:

What would it take for trump to be removed from office due to mental health? If that AP interview was not enough I don't know what would be. If anyone at a job responded like trump did in that interview they'd be fired on the the spot.

The man clearly has some kind of debilitating mental condition at best or at worst doesn't give a (bleep).
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
What would it take for trump to be removed from office due to mental health? If that AP interview was not enough I don't know what would be. If anyone at a job responded like trump did in that interview they'd be fired on the the spot.

The man clearly has some kind of debilitating mental condition at best or at worst doesn't give a (bleep).

The regular impeachment process.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:

Why not both?

!...
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:19 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
nickuku wrote:

The regular impeachment process.

25th Amendment.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
"So they asked me, Wolf ... asked me about NATO, and I said two things. ‘NATO's obsolete’ — not knowing much about NATO, now I know a lot about NATO"

http://thehill.com/policy/international/330245-trump-didnt-know-much-about-nato-when-he-called-it-obsolete-report
bertrome
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:

I've long suspected he's suffering from early onset dementia. Reading that horrifying AP interview maybe slowly confirming that to be true.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:25 pm    Post subject:

bertrome wrote:
nickuku wrote:

I've long suspected he's suffering from early onset dementia. Reading that horrifying AP interview maybe slowly confirming that to be true.

I think the only mental issues he has derive from being a narcissistic, clueless fool who has lived a life of privileged isolation and accommodation and thus has no idea of what is going on in the real world.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:58 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
Quote:
In Chicago, Obama tells young leaders that ‘special interests dominate the debates in Washington’

CHICAGO — In his first public appearance since leaving the White House in January, former president Barack Obama told young leaders here Monday that “special interests dominate the debates in Washington” and that he had failed to realize his “aspirational” goal of uniting Americans in red and blue states.

“That was an aspirational comment,” the former president said of his famous 2004 Democratic National Convention speech, prompting laughter from the audience at the University of Chicago. He added that when talking to individual Americans from different political backgrounds, you learn that “there’s a lot more that people have in common” than it would appear. “But, obviously, it’s not true when it comes to our politics and our civic life.”

Obama, who has kept a relatively low public profile since the end of his second term, did not mention President Trump once during the 90-minute event. But he said he was determined to galvanize younger Americans to do more politically because they were the ones best positioned to bridge the current political divide.

[...]

And Obama probed the political divide that exists on college campuses, which tend to be overwhelmingly liberal. All of the hand-picked panel members were Democrats except for one Republican, University of Chicago undergraduate Max M. Freedman. Asked by Obama whether he has a hard time being heard on a college campus as a Republican, Freedman replied, “You can expect some level of ostracization from certain people.”

“There’s a significant empathy gap, not just here, but everywhere. ... We’ve cloistered ourselves,” Freedman said. “Civic engagement, at some point, will require a level of civility.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2017/04/24/in-chicago-obama-tells-young-leaders-that-special-interests-dominate-the-debates-in-washington/

Great, Obama is a populist again. Guess your not allowed to be honest and inspire the youth and masses when your president. As he said, too much special interests.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:05 am    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
Quote:
Don't Bother to Wait for a Centrist Political Revival

I wasn't a big fan of PowerPoint presentations until I saw the one Tom Davis uses to depict some depressing trends in American politics. It shows polarization, which is no surprise. What's striking, though, is how he represents it graphically.

[...]

To demonstrate, Davis devised an instructive formula for Congress: Take the voting record of the most liberal Republican and the most conservative Democrat and then see how many members' voting records fall between them. That would identify moderate lawmakers to use as building blocks for bipartisan coalitions.

In the House of Representatives in 1982, 344 members fell into this in-between category. That was 79 percent of the legislators. In 2002, there were 137 moderates, or 31 percent. By 2014, a grand total of three House members were neither strikingly liberal nor strikingly conservative by Davis's measure.

The widening gap in the House can be partly attributed to factors like gerrymandering to create heavily partisan districts, and by residential patterns that tend to cluster like-minded people in the same communities.

But those factors can't explain the fact that patterns in the Senate are similar. In 1982, 58 Senators had voting records that fell between the most liberal Republican and the most conservative Democrat. In 2002, that number was down to seven. By 2014, there were none.

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2017-04-16/don-t-bother-to-wait-for-a-centrist-political-revival

That's an excellent article, or rather, excellent data, but the author makes a huge error IMO in interpreting it. He thinks that it means that both parties have moved away from the center. The depressing reality is that while the Democrats have actually become more centrist, the GOP has killed off anyone who would break ranks from their move hard right.

That's why, for example, someone like Joe Manchin isn't any less conservative than conservative Democrats from the 80's and 90's. In many cases, he may be more so. But there simply aren't any center right republicans anymore.

You're correct on that. I've seen the comparison more than once between Obama and Reagan. In the modern GOP, Reagan would be shunned and primaried out, similar to Arlen Specter. Even someone like Dick Lugar, who worked across the aisle on nuclear nonproliferation his whole career got hit. It's sad.

I mostly posted the article for the data, as you noted. Its pretty depressing, but confirms the huge gulf between the parties that I'm not sure is even solvable at this point.

Some even suggested that Reagan would've been a democrat by today's 'definition'
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:22 am    Post subject:

If you ever wondered what Jared Kushner sounds like, this is a clip from 2014:

I don't think there's any other available sound from him in the last few months.
ani007
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:40 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:

I don't think there's any other available sound from him in the last few months.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-SsFME-MTiA
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:25 am    Post subject:

ani007 wrote:
Wilt wrote:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-SsFME-MTiA

That whole segment should be watched.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject:

The Orange Man is beginning to see the reason for checks and balances. He can't just do anything he wants to.

Judge Blocks Trump Effort to Withhold Money From Sanctuary Cities

LINK

Quote:
The judge, William H. Orrick of United States District Court for the Northern District of California, issued a nationwide preliminary injunction against the administration, directing it to stop trying to cut off aid to sanctuary jurisdictions. But the order does not prevent the federal government from moving forward on designating certain places as “sanctuaries,” nor does it keep the administration from enforcing conditions for doling out federal money if they already exist, as the Justice Department has already begun to do with some law enforcement grants.

Side Note:
Are any as nervous as I am about N Korea? We have two children playing who'll blink first?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

Side Note:
Are any as nervous as I am about N Korea? We have two children playing who'll blink first?

Yep, but this was going to happen sooner or later.
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

Quote:
"So they asked me, Wolf ... asked me about NATO, and I said two things. ‘NATO's obsolete’ — not knowing much about NATO, now I know a lot about NATO"

http://thehill.com/policy/international/330245-trump-didnt-know-much-about-nato-when-he-called-it-obsolete-report

Seems to be a right-wing, conservative, christian thing, this saying anything or believing anything without fact-checking. Like the wiretapping accusation, no one's even pressuring him to apologize for the baseless, reckless claim, or the illegal voters or almost 90 % of what he says.
Everyone at Fox does this all the time.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject:

Buck32 wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Quote:

Seems to be a right-wing, conservative, christian thing, this saying anything or believing anything without fact-checking. Like the wiretapping accusation, no one's even pressuring him to apologize for the baseless, reckless claim, or the illegal voters or almost 90 % of what he says.

I wonder how far it goes back?
When I was in a elementary school. I remember Chrisitan, right wingers saying carbon dating was wrong. And that the earth wasn't millions of years old because the Bible implied it was thousands of years old. And humans somehow lived alongside dinosaurs.
After that I remember global warming being denied. Despite the data. I'm talking 1990s.
But I'm sure the not agreeing on facts epidemic predates my knowledge.

The biggest difference I see nowadays is. Now a person claiming the sky is red can go on a blog somewhere that agrees with them. And they use that "source" to verify their claim.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject:

bertrome wrote:
nickuku wrote:

Trump's the oldest president ever and somehow escapes the accusations of senility that Reagan got. How's that?

I wouldn't bet on impeachment for his issues any time soon. Not only did Ronnie survive, but Woodrow Wilson had numerous cerebrovascular events in his late adulthood and eventually had a debilitating stroke in office (it partially paralyzed one of his arms and iirc his vision was severely affected -- a detached embolus had starved part of his brain of oxygen, he had too many separate events to list). His 2nd wife Edith was defacto President according to general consensus. They covered that up. Media was different then, but covering up a stroke and its effects was still difficult to do even then.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject:

RR was senile...
trump is just stupid...
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Buck32 wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Quote:

I wonder how far it goes back?
When I was in a elementary school. I remember Chrisitan, right wingers saying carbon dating was wrong. And that the earth wasn't millions of years old because the Bible implied it was thousands of years old. And humans somehow lived alongside dinosaurs.
After that I remember global warming being denied. Despite the data. I'm talking 1990s.
But I'm sure the not agreeing on facts epidemic predates my knowledge.

The biggest difference I see nowadays is. Now a person claiming the sky is red can go on a blog somewhere that agrees with them. And they use that "source" to verify their claim.

I wonder what the right wing evolution deniers would say if the Pope comes out and says evolution is real
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 313, 314, 315 ... 3669, 3670, 3671  Next
Page 314 of 3671
Jump to: