THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 320, 321, 322 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:37 am    Post subject:

The Logo wrote:
I know that I'm pretty late on Trump calling Elizabeth Warren "Pocahontas", but why is he still allowed to call her this? First of all, he's President of the United States. There's a certain amount of dignity and respect you have to treat your fellow colleagues with, even if you very well may hate their guts. Secondly, his name calling is disrespectful not only to women in general, but also the Native American community, which has been marginalized by the colonialists from Europe and United States since the 1500's. Trump making fun of a Native American descendant is another big slap to the face to that community.

If she was really Native American, it would be disrespectful and abhorrent. But she isn't.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:39 am    Post subject:

The Logo wrote:
governator wrote:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/randy-weber-marriage-equality_us_59023d75e4b05c39767d0722

Whatever happened to separation between church and state?

It never meant what you want it to mean. The first amendment is not an instrument for persecution of public servants who have religious beliefs.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:41 am    Post subject:

Ted wrote:
The Logo wrote:
I know that I'm pretty late on Trump calling Elizabeth Warren "Pocahontas", but why is he still allowed to call her this? First of all, he's President of the United States. There's a certain amount of dignity and respect you have to treat your fellow colleagues with, even if you very well may hate their guts. Secondly, his name calling is disrespectful not only to women in general, but also the Native American community, which has been marginalized by the colonialists from Europe and United States since the 1500's. Trump making fun of a Native American descendant is another big slap to the face to that community.

Well, a LOT of voters don't give a sh** about any type of dignity and respect and etc etc. And that's the reason why she's done before she even gets started.
thats also the reason why they voted for donald. no dignity, no class. and as of now no draining of the swamp and nothing to help the people who voted for him. a whole lot of No's if you ask me.

It's not rocket science people. Any dem or bernie(if he's still kicking by then) could win if the people that agree with those positions actually come out of their homes, take a little time off the job and vote. THEE only way the GOP gets in office is due to voter turnout being subpar for any other side.

with that said. The dems are going to have to put someone out there that people would get off their butts to vote for. Hillary wasnt the one. Could warren be that person? perhaps.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:08 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
The Logo wrote:

If she was really Native American, it would be disrespectful and abhorrent. But she isn't.

Although mocking and insults are a new norm in Trump administration, calling Warren 'Pocahontas' which is meant to insult is disrespectful even if she is not Native American
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:38 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
The Logo wrote:

Although mocking and insults are a new norm in Trump administration, calling Warren 'Pocahontas' which is meant to insult is disrespectful even if she is not Native American

Aw, poor Elizabeth Warren. How dare the big bad conservatives make fun of her for fabricating her family history? I think she needs a hug.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:43 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
governator wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
The Logo wrote:

Aw, poor Elizabeth Warren. How dare the big bad conservatives make fun of her for fabricating her family history? I think she needs a hug.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2012/05/is-elizabeth-warren-native-american-or-what/257415/

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/bill-maher-calls-elizabeth-warren-pocahontas-to-her-face/article/2621654
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
governator wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
The Logo wrote:

Big bad conservatives? it's only Trump. Who else is referring Warren in speeches as pocahantas?
I guess we have different expectation of how a US president should conduct himself, even in speeches
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Big bad conservatives? it's only Trump. Who else is referring Warren in speeches as pocahantas?
I guess we have different expectation of how a US president should conduct himself, even in speeches

I have no idea whether Trump was the first person to call her that. The conservative media and right wing social media (and, actually, a fair amount of non-right wing social media) have been full of it ever since. Poor, poor, Elizabeth Warren. How awful that she is being held to the same standard as everyone else.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
governator wrote:

I have no idea whether Trump was the first person to call her that. The conservative media and right wing social media (and, actually, a fair amount of non-right wing social media) have been full of it ever since. Poor, poor, Elizabeth Warren. How awful that she is being held to the same standard as everyone else.

What are you talking about, what other speeches of government official calling her pocahantas except Trump's?
There is a different between citizen's calling gov't official with insult vs actual gov't official (The president none the less) doing it
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

For sure, the Dems are going to need to come up with a better candidate than Pocahontas. She's more effective as an irritant in the Senate.

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
governator wrote:

If someone is a white person and I call that person the N-word, is that N-word no longer an insult simply because the person isn't black? It's an insult and slur no matter who you direct it towards.

Cherokee nation considers this a racist slur. So believe what you want about Elizabeth Warren, and you can refer to what Trump calls her for the sake of discussion, but if you call her or anyone else "Pocohantas" I will consider it a racial slur. Do we allow posters to call people Aunt Jemima or Sambo or Uncle Tom? No, because they are racial slurs. So I know you think you're being clever, but don't.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

If someone is a white person and I call that person the N-word, is that N-word no longer an insult simply because the person isn't black? It's an insult and slur no matter who you direct it towards.

Cherokee nation considers this a racist slur. So believe what you want about Elizabeth Warren, and you can refer to what Trump calls her for the sake of discussion, but if you call her or anyone else "Pocohantas" I will consider it a racial slur. Do we allow posters to call people Aunt Jemima or Sambo or Uncle Tom? No, because they are racial slurs. So I know you think you're being clever, but don't.

Oh, good grief. Pocahontas is the name of a recent Disney movie, and you're comparing it to the N word? I guess it becomes a racial slur when applied to a female liberal Democrat who lies about having Native American ancestry. This is a prime example of how elements of the left are out of touch, self absorbed, and prone to unintentional irony. If you dare criticize one of us, you are racist, sexist, or something else unsavory! All you can do is hurl insults, you filthy white supremacist pig!

Elizabeth Warren lied. Deal with it. I doubt anyone other than Elizabeth Warren supporters care much about the opinion of the Cherokee nation. If you, as a mod, want to declare that something that offends your delicate liberal sensibilities is a racial slur, go for it. It is certainly within your power.

Here's a meme for you.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
What are you talking about, what other speeches of government official calling her pocahantas except Trump's?
There is a different between citizen's calling gov't official with insult vs actual gov't official (The president none the less) doing it

Oh, your issue is just with Trump saying it after he got elected? Well, he says lots of things that other presidents didn't say.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
governator wrote:

Oh, your issue is just with Trump saying it after he got elected? Well, he says lots of things that other presidents didn't say.

That doesn't excuse it nor makes it no longer insulting/disrespectful
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Oh, good grief. Pocahontas is the name of a recent Disney movie, and you're comparing it to the N word? I guess it becomes a racial slur when applied to a female liberal Democrat who lies about having Native American ancestry. This is a prime example of how elements of the left are out of touch, self absorbed, and prone to unintentional irony. If you dare criticize one of us, you are racist, sexist, or something else unsavory! All you can do is hurl insults, you filthy white supremacist pig!

Elizabeth Warren lied. Deal with it. I doubt anyone other than Elizabeth Warren supporters care much about the opinion of the Cherokee nation. If you, as a mod, want to declare that something that offends your delicate liberal sensibilities is a racial slur, go for it. It is certainly within your power.

Here's a meme for you.

Context matters. And you can knock off the personal insults. Thanks.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Here's a meme for you.

Right, context matters. If Trump called an actual Native American female "Pocahontas," I can see how that could be construed as a slur. When the target is a white politician who lied about being Native American, and when calling her "Pocahontas" is a way of mocking her for the lie, I'm just not seeing the racial overtones.

And as for personal insults, I would appreciate it if you stopped accusing me of thinking that I'm "clever" in using a racial slur.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:

Well, Trump was insulting Warren, and he clearly doesn't respect her. So, yeah, you're right. He insults a lot of people.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
governator wrote:

IA Donald has blown the lid off of being PC. He's in no way presidential. Someone needs to return the digs. Call him perch mouth, Pinocchio , snake oil salesman or somehing. Though that may be a losing way to go. That'd be right up his ally. Donald has the experience none now in office have. I think Obama could have handled him.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Here's a meme for you.

Right, context matters. If Trump called an actual Native American female "Pocahontas," I can see how that could be construed as a slur. When the target is a white politician who lied about being Native American, and when calling her "Pocahontas" is a way of mocking her for the lie, I'm just not seeing the racial overtones.

And as for personal insults, I would appreciate it if you stopped accusing me of thinking that I'm "clever" in using a racial slur.

You see, context does matter when you think you're the person being insulted. Funny how that works.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
governator wrote:

Well, Trump was insulting Warren, and he clearly doesn't respect her. So, yeah, you're right. He insults a lot of people.

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Glad to see that you recognize you're wrong
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
You see, context does matter when you think you're the person being insulted. Funny how that works.

Who's trying to be clever now? Go ahead, deflect away.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
governator wrote:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Glad to see that you recognize you're wrong

Your logic eludes me.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject:

People, people, Can't we just all get along.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Here's a meme for you.

Do we know that for certain, that she lied or was she just misinformed? I haven't followed her story that closely but it happens.

I have a coworker that always thought he was 1/8 Pawnee because his great-grandmother, who he knew growing up, was full-blood Pawnee. What he did not know until fairly recently was that his Great-grandma was not his biological relative. His White great-grandfather had a daughter with another woman who appears to have been White, while married to the Pawnee woman. The other woman either died or abandoned the child as a baby and he raised the little girl (my coworker's grandmother) with his Pawnee wife. No one ever mentioned that she was illegitimate or not the full sibling of the other kids. His grandmother passed away never knowing that about herself, she always thought her mother was the Pawnee woman and that is what she told her children and grandchildren. It only came to light recently when someone was tracing the family history.

Lot of people walking around who have been told they have Native blood and others who think they are totally White who don't realize they have some Native or Black ancestor somewhere in the family tree.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject:

SweetP wrote:

Lot of people walking around who have been told they have Native blood and others who think they are totally White who don't realize they have some Native or Black ancestor somewhere in the family tree.

Warren has said that growing up in Oklahoma, her grandparents and parents told her and her brothers that they were part Cherokee. She had no reason to disbelieve them. It was a family story. Scott Brown turned that into, "You lied about your race to cheat your way into college and fraudulently advance your career!" Both those last claims have been proven false. People have researched her family history and determined she probably does not have any Cherokee blood.

How that turned into some massive, horrible, "BURN THE LYING WITCH AT THE STAKE!" was due to Brown's senate campaign strategy against her --- which failed. When Trump calls her Pocahontas, there is clearly a derogatory racial (and sexist) component embedded in his message.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Many Democrats have a shorthand explanation for Clinton's defeat: Her base didn't turn out, Donald Trump's did and the difference was too much to overcome.

But new information shows that Clinton had a much bigger problem with voters who had supported President Barack Obama in 2012 but backed Trump four years later.

Those Obama-Trump voters effectively accounted for more than two-thirds of the reason Clinton lost, according to Matt Canter, a senior vice president of the Democratic political firm Global Strategy Group. In his group's analysis, about 70 percent of Clinton's failure to reach Obama's vote total in 2012 was because she lost these voters.

Canter and other members of Global Strategy Group have delivered a detailed report of their findings to senators, congressmen, fellow operatives and think tank wonks — all part of an effort to educate party leaders about what the data say really happened in last year's election.

"We have to make sure we learn the right lesson from 2016, that we don't just draw the lesson that makes us feel good at night, make us sleep well at night," Canter said.

His firm's conclusion is shared broadly by other Democrats who have examined the data, including senior members of Clinton's campaign and officials at the Democratic data and analytics firm Catalist. (The New York Times, in its own analysis, reached a similar conclusion.)

Quote:
The findings are significant for a Democratic Party, at a historic low point, that's trying to figure out how it can win back power. Much of the debate over how to proceed has centered on whether the party should try to win back working-class white voters — who make up most of the Obama-Trump voters — or focus instead on mobilizing its base.

Turning out the base is not good enough, the data suggest.

"This idea that Democrats can somehow ignore this constituency and just turn out more of our voters, the math doesn't work," Canter said. "We have to do both."

Tribune Washington Bureau
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 320, 321, 322 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next
Page 321 of 3663
Jump to: