THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 373, 374, 375 ... 3669, 3670, 3671  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
That's correct. Mueller has no independent power to prosecute anyone.

In that case, if Mueller finds criminating evidence against Trump or his staff, will DOJ be the prosecuting entity? If so does that mean Jeff Sessions will be the prosecutor? He recused himself from the Russian investigation. Will he now reinstate himself? (The checks in the mail for your counsel)

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject:

Yes, the DOJ would be the prosecuting entity. Rosenstein is Acting Attorney General for this purpose.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject:

This is not a HBCU, this is Notre Dame.

WATCH: Students Walk Out of Pence's Graduation Speech at Notre Dame

LINK

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
That's correct. Mueller has no independent power to prosecute anyone.

Isn't that semantics? He has the independent power to prosecute, because that power was given to him by the DOJ. He doesn't need to go to anyone to do anything so long as he is employed. Now, of course, either the President or the DOJ could fire him at anytime if they didn't like what he has done, but that would open up a whole other political storm.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject:

Actually, I was wrong. I thought that Rosenstein gave Mueller only the power to investigate (which he could have done under the regulations). I went back and looked at the order. Rosenstein did give Mueller the power to prosecute:

Quote:
(c) If the Special Counsel believes it is necessary and appropriate, the Special Counsel is authorized to prosecute federal crimes arising from the investigation of these matters.

By the way, the President can't fire the special counsel. That power rests with Rosenstein. Of course, we could see another Archibald Cox scenario. Rachel had a list of ways that Trump could still mess around with the investigation, but directly firing Mueller is not an option.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject:

Special counsel: What you need to know

LINK

Quote:
A special counsel is a lawyer appointed to lead an independent investigation and, if necessary, to prosecute anyone suspected of crimes.

ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject:

VOX: The new special counsel investigating Trump: who he is, what he can do, what comes next

Quote:
The law creating special prosecutors expired in 1999, when Congress chose not to renew it. That meant that the whole mechanism for establishing an independent special prosecutor went away.

So the Justice Department decided instead to use its own powers to create something similar within the department itself: a “special counsel.”

This person is appointed directly by the attorney general (not an independent three-judge panel, like before) and — this is the important part — is thus directly answerable to the attorney general. This person can pursue criminal indictments in grand jury investigations, but the attorney general can fire them at any time and overrule any decisions they make when it comes to investigating or prosecuting the case.

In other words, the special counsel is far, far less independent than the earlier version was.

Still, it's a powerful post. Mueller will be able to issue subpoenas, forcing people to testify and turn over documents. Whether he chooses to do so, of course, remains to be seen.

So that’s what we have today. In this case, Attorney General Jeff Sessions had already formally recused himself from participating in any Trump-Russia investigations, so the next person in line, Rosenstein, was the person with the authority to appoint a special counsel.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject:

Fourth candidate for Trump's FBI director drops out of consideration

I'm sensing a pattern here. Career government professionals with integrity do not want to be Trump's puppet and want no part of this dumpster fire.

Which is why I think they'll either end up with Joe Lieberman or keep acting-director in place for now.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject:

More news on the Turkish attack on American citizens in DC. when has a foreign leader ordered an attack on peaceful American citizens on their own soil? this is beyond bizarre. And the lack of news stories about this and the refusal of Trump to publicly condemn it is confounding and sickening.

http://www.dailywire.com/news/16638/erdogan-appears-have-personally-ordered-his-joshua-yasmeh#exit-modal
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject:

Maddow and Chris Hayes covered it and it's been all over progressive Twitter. McCain and Dianne Feinstein publicly condemned it. link

The White House who had just met with the Turkish Thug -- crickets.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Maddow and Chris Hayes covered it and it's been all over progressive Twitter. McCain and Dianne Feinstein publicly condemned it. link

The White House who had just met with the Turkish Thug -- crickets.

Yeah, i see some stories about it, but its absent from yahoo main headlines. There are many congressional leaders speaking against it and they've issued a letter to the turks.

But For decency sake, as the president of the US, Trump should've publicly condemned it. Specially when it involves a 'NATO leaders' security detail causing physical harm to American citizens (and that leader ordering the attack)? It carries more weight when the President acts on it. At the very least, he should've cancelled his meeting with Erdogan and cited this as the reason.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject:

Some Middle Eastern perspectives on Trump's speech:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/21/politics/trump-islam-saudi-arabia-reaction/index.html

I have to say that the Iranian perspective on this makes a lot of sense to me. Trump is basically cozying up to the Saudis. When I see the Saudis talking about how Iran supports terrorism, my immediate reaction is that it is hypocritical. Is our policy driven by economics or by a genuine desire to do something about terrorism and jihadists? Is Iran a genuine villain or just a convenient bogeyman?
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/21/politics/trump-islam-saudi-arabia-reaction/index.html

I have to say that the Iranian perspective on this makes a lot of sense to me. Trump is basically cozying up to the Saudis. When I see the Saudis talking about how Iran supports terrorism, my immediate reaction is that it is hypocritical. Is our policy driven by economics or by a genuine desire to do something about terrorism and jihadists? Is Iran a genuine villain or just a convenient bogeyman?

I'm sure you'll be shocked to learn that during the election period, Trump registered for 8 new Trump companies in Saudi Arabia. And the Saudis just gave Ivanka's "women's fund" a $100 million. And Jared had his hand in the $1 Billion arms sales.

BUT PAY NO ATTENTION TO THAT MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN. NOTHING SHADY GOING ON HERE.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
This is not a HBCU, this is Notre Dame.

WATCH: Students Walk Out of Pence's Graduation Speech at Notre Dame

LINK

Lock em up!!
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject:

Trump is a self-interested opportunist doing what he always does.

He's is basically doing every single thing he accused Clinton of doing while leading chants of lock-her-up every night.

So nothing new here. Status quo for the Crook-In-Chief.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

I'm sure you'll be shocked to learn that during the election period, Trump registered for 8 new Trump companies in Saudi Arabia. And the Saudis just gave Ivanka's "women's fund" a $100 million. And Jared had his hand in the $1 Billion arms sales.

BUT PAY NO ATTENTION TO THAT MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN. NOTHING SHADY GOING ON HERE.

And excluded from both iterations of his Muslim ban despite being the origin state of Bin Laden and the 9/11 terrorists, as well as an incubator for Wahhabism. Although Saudi exceptionalism has been a staple of U.S. foreign policy for decades.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject:

Trump's budget proposal comes out on Tuesday. There's nothing surprising here, really.

Quote:
President Trump’s first major budget proposal on Tuesday will include massive cuts to Medicaid and call for changes to anti-poverty programs that would give states new power to limit a range of benefits, people familiar with the planning said, despite growing unease in Congress about cutting the safety net.

For Medicaid, the state-federal program that provides health care to low-income Americans, Trump’s budget plan would follow through on a bill passed by House Republicans to cut more than $800 billion over 10 years. The Congressional Budget Office has estimated that this could cut off Medicaid benefits for about 10 million people over the next decade.

The White House also will call for giving states more flexibility to impose work requirements for people in different kinds of anti-poverty programs, people familiar with the budget plan said, potentially leading to a flood of changes in states led by conservative governors. Many anti-poverty programs have elements that are run by both the states and federal government, and a federal order allowing states to stiffen work requirements could have a broad impact in terms of limiting who can access anti-poverty payments — and for how long.

Quote:
Trump has instructed his budget director, former South Carolina congressman Mick Mulvaney, that he does not want cuts to Medicare and Social Security’s retirement program in this budget, Mulvaney recently said, but the plan may call for changes to Social Security Disability Insurance, seeking ideas for ways to move people who are able out of this program and back into the workforce.

A key element of the budget plan will be the assumption that huge tax cuts will result in an unprecedented level of economic growth. Trump recently unveiled the broad principles of what he has said will be the biggest in U.S. history, and Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin told a Senate panel last week that these tax cuts would end up creating trillions of dollars in new revenue, something budget experts from both parties have disputed.

Quote:
In addition to the myriad cuts, the budget will include some new spending.

Beyond an increase in the military budget and new money for border security, the White House is expected to call for $200 billion for infrastructure projects and an additional $25 billion over 10 years for a new program designed by Ivanka Trump that would create six weeks of parental leave benefits.

WaPo
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject:

Trump reportedly tired 3 days into his trip. I guess he needs another 2 liter coke and some pizza.

What would happen to this clown if he actually did a day of real work?
67ShelbyGT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

And excluded from both iterations of his Muslim ban despite being the origin state of Bin Laden and the 9/11 terrorists, as well as an incubator for Wahhabism. Although Saudi exceptionalism has been a staple of U.S. foreign policy for decades.

Black gold and weapons trade run the world! Stephen Miller wrote that speech? These guys have no shame or soul. 15/19 terrorist are Saudis yet they get excluded from the ban but let's ban poor countries we can't install a puppet dictator... sheesh.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject:

67ShelbyGT wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Black gold and weapons trade run the world! Stephen Miller wrote that speech? These guys have no shame or soul. 15/19 terrorist are Saudis yet they get excluded from the ban but let's ban poor countries we can't install a puppet dictator... sheesh.

It is a dehumanizing and shaming process that leads them to believe we are supposedly fighting the evil they are vs the evil we create there...

I liked this piece about Winston Churchill..
Quote:
Churchill was born in 1874 into a Britain that was washing the map pink, at the cost of washing distant nations blood red. Victoria had just been crowned Empress of India, and the scramble for Africa was only a few years away. At Harrow School and then Sandhurst, he was told a simple story: the superior white man was conquering the primitive, dark-skinned natives, and bringing them the benefits of civilisation. As soon as he could, Churchill charged off to take his part in "a lot of jolly little wars against barbarous peoples". In the Swat valley, now part of Pakistan, he experienced, fleetingly, a crack of doubt. He realised that the local population was fighting back because of "the presence of British troops in lands the local people considered their own," just as Britain would if she were invaded. But Churchill soon suppressed this thought, deciding instead they were merely deranged jihadists whose violence was explained by a "strong aboriginal propensity to kill".

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/not-his-finest-hour-the-dark-side-of-winston-churchill-2118317.html
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 10:15 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

C. Both
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 10:46 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
Trump reportedly tired 3 days into his trip. I guess he needs another 2 liter coke and some pizza.

What would happen to this clown if he actually did a day of real work?

Another Trump projection. Hilary doesn't have the energy to be President.

I mean, I'm sure it is tiring, but maybe you shouldn't talking about other people's "energy".
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 11:48 pm    Post subject:

Yep, his whole life is centered around projecting his flaws unto others and taking ownership of others' strengths. It obviously didn't prevent him from becoming president, but it'll catch up to him.

Even if he somehow escapes this Russian mess and other messes that have yet to happen, he's out of shape, he's unhealthy, he's 70 years old. This type of lifestyle, with the added difficulties of being president, can't go on indefinitely.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 11:54 pm    Post subject:

The Lebrons wrote:

One day I might try to write down all of them.
It's almost as if Trump supporters never really cared about his campaign promises. Or the persona he stood for. He has backtracked on SO many things. Posturing to foreign (Arab) leaders, health care for all, hands-off medicare, protecting classified information ("unlike Hilary"), "deal-making", destroying NATO, ripping up NAFTA, building a border wall, keeping Muslims out of the country, "draining the swamp", not being a lazy golfer ("like Obama"), changing up our tactics with North Korea ("Obama's plan sucked") .

The list goes on and on. Campaign promises ignored and/or failed at. Persona gone. And his base holds steady for the most part. I guess he did keep his word in terms of deporting Mexicans and putting to action stricter law enforcement policy.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 12:24 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:

One day I might try to write down all of them.
It's almost as if Trump supporters never really cared about his campaign promises. Or the persona he stood for. He has backtracked on SO many things. Posturing to foreign (Arab) leaders, health care for all, hands-off medicare, protecting classified information ("unlike Hilary"), "deal-making", destroying NATO, ripping up NAFTA, building a border wall, keeping Muslims out of the country, "draining the swamp", not being a lazy golfer ("like Obama"), changing up our tactics with North Korea ("Obama's plan sucked") .

The list goes on and on. Campaign promises ignored and/or failed at. Persona gone. And his base holds steady for the most part. I guess he did keep his word in terms of deporting Mexicans and putting to action stricter law enforcement policy.

For many, I think the election wasn't a means to an end, it was the end in itself. It was an act of defiance against what they perceive a power structure that has kept them down. So yeah, it doesn't really matter what Trump does or doesn't do as they will somehow interpret it positively. I live in a conservative area (the Democrats often don't even run candidates in my state legislative district since they know they will lose), so I meet many dedicated Trump voters. The amount of spinning they do to justify their vote is incredible, and it's just over 100 days. Imagine the things they'll say 5, 10 months from now.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 373, 374, 375 ... 3669, 3670, 3671  Next
Page 374 of 3671
Jump to: