THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 374, 375, 376 ... 3669, 3670, 3671  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 4:46 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
kikanga wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:

Another Trump projection. Hilary doesn't have the energy to be President.

One day I might try to write down all of them.
It's almost as if Trump supporters never really cared about his campaign promises. Or the persona he stood for. He has backtracked on SO many things. Posturing to foreign (Arab) leaders, health care for all, hands-off medicare, protecting classified information ("unlike Hilary"), "deal-making", destroying NATO, ripping up NAFTA, building a border wall, keeping Muslims out of the country, "draining the swamp", not being a lazy golfer ("like Obama"), changing up our tactics with North Korea ("Obama's plan sucked") .

The list goes on and on. Campaign promises ignored and/or failed at. Persona gone. And his base holds steady for the most part. I guess he did keep his word in terms of deporting Mexicans and putting to action stricter law enforcement policy.

For many, I think the election wasn't a means to an end, it was the end in itself. It was an act of defiance against what they perceive a power structure that has kept them down. So yeah, it doesn't really matter what Trump does or doesn't do as they will somehow interpret it positively. I live in a conservative area (the Democrats often don't even run candidates in my state legislative district since they know they will lose), so I meet many dedicated Trump voters. The amount of spinning they do to justify their vote is incredible, and it's just over 100 days. Imagine the things they'll say 5, 10 months from now.

Trump is not judged by his core base on his policies. He's judged on how pissed off/insulted the left are
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 5:49 am    Post subject:

Flynn reportedly will take the Fifth. No surprise.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 6:50 am    Post subject:

The Israeli perspective on U.S. policy toward ISIS:

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/05/22/israeli-officers-to-trump-youre-doing-isis-wrong-215172?lo=ap_d1
67ShelbyGT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 6:51 am    Post subject:

Supreme court struck down 2 gerrymander-ed districts in NC! (Gorsuch abstained)

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2017/05/22/supreme-court-strikes-down-north-carolina-maps-congress/100855582/
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 6:56 am    Post subject:

I sincerely think I am going to call a congress person today about these Turkish bodyguards..

This is (bleep) and makes me want to go all Logan on those people

The United Nations and NATO need to address this even.. This is A HUMAN RIGHTS issue and those pigs need charged.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 7:43 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Flynn reportedly will take the Fifth. No surprise.

That's going to look bad....

Q: "Did you inform Donald Trump you were under investigation by the FBI prior to being appointed to the NSA position?"
A: "I invoke my right not to incriminate myself under the fifth amendment of the Constitution of the United States of America"

Q: "Did you collude with Donald Trump to assist Russia in obtaining any classified materials?
A: "I invoke my right not to incriminate myself under the fifth amendment of the Constitution of the United States of America"

Q: "Did Donald Trump instruct you to assist Russia in trying to rig the election toward Donald Trump's victory?"

Q: "Did you collude with Donald Trump to assist Russia in disseminating private, confidential or classified information for the purpose of steering the presidential election toward Donald Trump's favor?

Q: "Have you ever been witness to anyone in the Trump administration providing favors or assistance to any Russian agent, citizen or official in exchange for any monetary or financial incentives provided to that member of the Trump Administration?"

Q: "Did you ever assist Donald Trump in brokering a deal between him and any Russian agent, citizen or official for any promises by Donald Trump in exchange for any monetary or financial incentives to be provided to Donald Trump?"

Q: "Did you ever assist Jared Kushner in brokering a deal between him and any Russian agent, citizen or official for any promises by Mr. Kushner in exchange for any monetary or financial incentives to be provided to Mr. Kushner?"

Q: "While working as the NSA, did you receive any financial compensation or promises for financial compensation in exchange for providing any favors or assistance to any agent of the Russian government?

Yea, that's going to look great. It will be like Mark Fuhrman all over again.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject:

I doubt we'll get that spectacle just yet. The context is the document subpoenas. But sooner or later . . . .
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject:

67ShelbyGT wrote:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2017/05/22/supreme-court-strikes-down-north-carolina-maps-congress/100855582/

Clarence Thomas was the swing vote. Some people don't believe it, but the votes on the Supreme Court are not as predictable as the media suggests.

The bombshell decision today was the patent venue case, but that has limited political interest and would bore the heck of out of most of you.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
67ShelbyGT wrote:

Clarence Thomas was the swing vote. Some people don't believe it, but the votes on the Supreme Court are not as predictable as the media suggests.

The bombshell decision today was the patent venue case, but that has limited political interest and would bore the heck of out of most of you.

Yes, that surprised... then again, on the same day, Thomas went right back to his roots by being a dissenting vote on political contribution spending limits.

LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject:

67ShelbyGT wrote:

Realistically, what are the prospects of redistricting in time for 2018? (Not just these NC districts, but the effect it would have on gerrymandered districts nationwide.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
I sincerely think I am going to call a congress person today about these Turkish bodyguards..

The United Nations and NATO need to address this even.. This is A HUMAN RIGHTS issue and those pigs need charged.

Never going to happen. Those body guards have diplomatic immunity.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
67ShelbyGT wrote:

Yes, that surprised... then again, on the same day, Thomas went right back to his roots by being a dissenting vote on political contribution spending limits.

Clarenence Thomas is a 70 year-old college freshman on his own for the first time. 25 years of sniffing Scalia's drawers on every decision, he may finally feel inclined to have an original independent thought once in a blue moon.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
67ShelbyGT wrote:

Realistically, what are the prospects of redistricting in time for 2018? (Not just these NC districts, but the effect it would have on gerrymandered districts nationwide.)

This was a racial gerrymandering case. It requires that race (not politics) be the predominant reason for the districting. The court upheld such a finding by the lower court. The extent to which this will have wider ramifications is unclear.
Allproper
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject:

Erdogan security attacks protesters in Latin America; Turkey’s ambassador summoned in Ecuador

https://www.almasdarnews.com/article/erdogan-security-attacks-protesters-across-latin-america-turkish-ambassador-summoned-in-ecuador/
cisternachyli
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Trump's budget proposal comes out on Tuesday. There's nothing surprising here, really.

Quote:
President Trump’s first major budget proposal on Tuesday will include massive cuts to Medicaid and call for changes to anti-poverty programs that would give states new power to limit a range of benefits, people familiar with the planning said, despite growing unease in Congress about cutting the safety net.

For Medicaid, the state-federal program that provides health care to low-income Americans, Trump’s budget plan would follow through on a bill passed by House Republicans to cut more than $800 billion over 10 years. The Congressional Budget Office has estimated that this could cut off Medicaid benefits for about 10 million people over the next decade.

The White House also will call for giving states more flexibility to impose work requirements for people in different kinds of anti-poverty programs, people familiar with the budget plan said, potentially leading to a flood of changes in states led by conservative governors. Many anti-poverty programs have elements that are run by both the states and federal government, and a federal order allowing states to stiffen work requirements could have a broad impact in terms of limiting who can access anti-poverty payments — and for how long.

Quote:
Trump has instructed his budget director, former South Carolina congressman Mick Mulvaney, that he does not want cuts to Medicare and Social Security’s retirement program in this budget, Mulvaney recently said, but the plan may call for changes to Social Security Disability Insurance, seeking ideas for ways to move people who are able out of this program and back into the workforce.

A key element of the budget plan will be the assumption that huge tax cuts will result in an unprecedented level of economic growth. Trump recently unveiled the broad principles of what he has said will be the biggest in U.S. history, and Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin told a Senate panel last week that these tax cuts would end up creating trillions of dollars in new revenue, something budget experts from both parties have disputed.

Quote:
In addition to the myriad cuts, the budget will include some new spending.

Beyond an increase in the military budget and new money for border security, the White House is expected to call for $200 billion for infrastructure projects and an additional $25 billion over 10 years for a new program designed by Ivanka Trump that would create six weeks of parental leave benefits.

WaPo

Same old trickle down economics crap the GOP always pushes. Wake me up when the next recession hits.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

LINK

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject:

Washington Post: Trump asked intelligence chiefs to push back against FBI collusion probe after Comey revealed its existence

Quote:
President Trump asked two of the nation’s top intelligence officials in March to help him push back against an FBI investigation into possible coordination between his campaign and the Russian government, according to current and former officials.

Trump made separate appeals to the director of national intelligence, Daniel Coats, and to Adm. Michael S. Rogers, the director of the National Security Agency, urging them to publicly deny the existence of any evidence of collusion during the 2016 election.

Coats and Rogers refused to comply with the requests, which they both deemed to be inappropriate, according to two current and two former officials, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss private communications with the president.

More incriminating acts to add to the pattern of impeding an FBI investigation and obstruction of justice.
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Washington Post: Trump asked intelligence chiefs to push back against FBI collusion probe after Comey revealed its existence

Quote:
President Trump asked two of the nation’s top intelligence officials in March to help him push back against an FBI investigation into possible coordination between his campaign and the Russian government, according to current and former officials.

Trump made separate appeals to the director of national intelligence, Daniel Coats, and to Adm. Michael S. Rogers, the director of the National Security Agency, urging them to publicly deny the existence of any evidence of collusion during the 2016 election.

Coats and Rogers refused to comply with the requests, which they both deemed to be inappropriate, according to two current and two former officials, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss private communications with the president.

More incriminating acts to add to the pattern of impeding an FBI investigation and obstruction of justice.

Hmmm, didn't Nixon ask the CIA to try to intervene against the FBI investigation into Watergate?
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject:

And Rogers, director of the National Security Agency, wrote up a contemporaneous memo of Trump's improper request like Comey did.

Oh those intelligence guys and their pesky memos.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
I doubt we'll get that spectacle just yet. The context is the document subpoenas. But sooner or later . . . .

Ah, yes. Knew about that. He can't produce the documents while preserving his 5th amendment rights. Doesn't mean he will ultimately take the 5th, but this is the first step then. I doubt anyone gets him immunity and I bet the Dems are salivating to get him to a hearing so they can go through that exact line of questioning. In that vein, it may be more politically useful to not give him immunity, even if giving it to him one day becomes more useful in order to advance the investigation/prosecution.

Last edited by LakerSanity on Mon May 22, 2017 5:13 pm; edited 3 times in total
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject:

Listening to some newscasters, they opined, Trump having a problem finding elite outside counsel because they want him to give up his cell phone. That's pitiful! Our president is worse than a teenager. Glad he doesn't have to drive. He'd be tweeting and texting, be a road hazard.

Trump close to choosing outside counsel for Russia investigation

LINK

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

It very well could happen. Diplomatic immunity doesn't protect someone when they commit a criminal act. And physical assault is a criminal act.

https://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2017-05-17/erdogan-guards-might-not-have-immunity-to-beat-protesters-in-us
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject:

Goldenwest wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

It very well could happen. Diplomatic immunity doesn't protect someone when they commit a criminal act. And physical assault is a criminal act.

https://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2017-05-17/erdogan-guards-might-not-have-immunity-to-beat-protesters-in-us

Sure, but the point is that Diplomatic Immunity is something that is designed to keep diplomacy and lessen any potential for tension.

A random foreign national with immunity is certainly subject to having that revoked under certain circumstances and it happens.

But the probability of a foreign leader's Security Detail having their immunity stripped is a WHOLE different matter. That's calling out that leader directly . . . never going to happen in this case.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Sure, but the point is that Diplomatic Immunity is something that is designed to keep diplomacy and lessen any potential for tension.

A random foreign national with immunity is certainly subject to having that revoked under certain circumstances and it happens.

But the probability of a foreign leader's Security Detail having their immunity stripped is a WHOLE different matter. That's calling out that leader directly . . . never going to happen in this case.

There is an investigation under way and facts are undisputable in the video. It's also obvious from the evidence that erdogan ordered the attack. Of course they could sweep the whole thing under the rug. Probably not that hard to do, since they've been fascilitating turkeys genocide denial for decades.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 5:49 pm    Post subject:

Nothing will happen to his bodyguards. They've already left the country. Turkey is also a NATO ally and nothing will be done unless they leave the alliance.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 374, 375, 376 ... 3669, 3670, 3671  Next
Page 375 of 3671
Jump to: