THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 590, 591, 592 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
Rand is voting no because he thinks it doesn't go far enough. However he's been slammed by conservative outlets like NRO because they think his "no" votes are two-faced: Kentucky relies heavily on Obamacare Medicaid subsidies, so he can pretend he's against these bills because they "don't go far enough", but in reality he's against them because he knows they'll screw his state.

Suppose they are correct that Paul is voting no because Kentucky needs those subsidies. If they aren't denying Rand Paul's libertarian credentials, then they are essentially arguing Paul is voting no because ACA is working for his state. So they're implicitly acknowledging the fact that ACA works, for states that actually expanded Medicaid...

Op-Ed Obamacare is only 'exploding' in red states

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject:

Raijin wrote:
SweetP wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
This is from a few minutes ago. Dangerous lunatic trying to start a nuclear war.

Quote:
Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump

Just heard Foreign Minister of North Korea speak at U.N. If he echoes thoughts of Little Rocket Man, they won't be around much longer!

And the closer the Mueller investigation gets the more the lunatic will lash out. At NK, at Black athletes, at HRC and Obama, at the media ... Could get scary real fast.

He will not be impeached; that is nothing but a fantasy

If the Dems take over the House, there's a strong possibility he'll be impeached. Removed from office? No.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject:

Watching the Bills and Broncos. Seems to me a high number of players decided to kneel down, much higher than usual. Many fans were booing.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
Watching the Bills and Broncos. Seems to me a high number of players decided to kneel down, much higher than usual. Many fans were booing.

Good!!! Let them boo. Next week, there should be even MORE players kneeling. Them so-called 'fans' are just revealing themselves. Take it to heart. You have to show some dignity at some point. As the good book says, 'For what should it profit a man that he should gain the world, but lose his soul.'
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject:

Kaepernick doesn't have a job but his protest has caused more athletes to give voice to his cause.

Those now giving voice have illuminated the message. The message is now being heard above the din caused by the use of the flag.

It won't change what's in the hearts of racists it will spotlight and somewhat reduce police abuse.

Thanks to Trump billionaires are now speaking out.

To Colin

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
tox wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
Rand is voting no because he thinks it doesn't go far enough. However he's been slammed by conservative outlets like NRO because they think his "no" votes are two-faced: Kentucky relies heavily on Obamacare Medicaid subsidies, so he can pretend he's against these bills because they "don't go far enough", but in reality he's against them because he knows they'll screw his state.

Suppose they are correct that Paul is voting no because Kentucky needs those subsidies. If they aren't denying Rand Paul's libertarian credentials, then they are essentially arguing Paul is voting no because ACA is working for his state. So they're implicitly acknowledging the fact that ACA works, for states that actually expanded Medicaid...

Op-Ed Obamacare is only 'exploding' in red states

Yeah, if those governors would have accepted the exchanges, it would be a lot different. Similar to funding for risk pools and using money earmarked to get people to sign up for anti obamacare propaganda and now saying they might shut down the site during the enrollment period.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject:

this is way more poignant than it should be right now.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
this is way more poignant than it should be right now.

I go with the Merriam Webster definition pleasurably stimulating

lakeshow03
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject:

Funny how it's free speech when someone wants to spew Nazi hate and white surpremcy but God forbid someone peacefully protest during the National Anthem. They say people died for our freedom which makes it disrespectful, when the real disrespect would be NOT exercising those freedoms and having those rights in vain.

At some point are they really just that ignorant of what's going on, or do they know deep down just don't want to admit it because they're the ones on top?
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject:

lakeshow03 wrote:
Funny how it's free speech when someone wants to spew Nazi hate and white surpremcy but God forbid someone peacefully protest during the National Anthem. They say people died for our freedom which makes it disrespectful, when the real disrespect would be NOT exercising those freedoms and having those rights in vain.

At some point are they really just that ignorant of what's going on, or do they know deep down just don't want to admit it because they're the ones on top?

Most likely this.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject:

SweetP wrote:
lakeshow03 wrote:

Most likely this.

e.g. Jemele Hill. If she hadn't recently signed a new contract her remarks relating to Trump may have rendered a harsher chastising.

hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject:

Look at this (bleep)...these mfers.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpost/new-version-of-health-care-bill-will-help-alaska-and-maine--home-of-two-holdout-senators/2017/09/25/24697f62-a188-11e7-b14f-f41773cd5a14_story.html?utm_term=.7a396153adac

Quote:
The Republican senators at the forefront of the latest effort to undo the Affordable Care Act proposed Monday sending more health-care dollars to the states of key holdouts, hoping to keep their bill viable as it faced a wall of resistance on Capitol Hill.

Republican Sens. Bill Cassidy (La.) and Lindsey O. Graham (S.C.) have given more money to Alaska and Maine — two of whose GOP senators, Lisa Murkowski (Alaska) and Susan Collins (Maine), respectively — have expressed concerns but not yet declared how they would vote on the measure.

But there was little evidence Monday that the changes would secure enough votes for the legislation’s passage. Sen. Rand Paul (Ky.), who is one of two GOP senators against the bill, reiterated his opposition to the updated measure, and the other lawmaker, Sen. John McCain (Ariz.), has objected to it on the grounds that there has been no bipartisan outreach.

I guess bribery is legal too now, huh?? No shame
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpost/new-version-of-health-care-bill-will-help-alaska-and-maine--home-of-two-holdout-senators/2017/09/25/24697f62-a188-11e7-b14f-f41773cd5a14_story.html?utm_term=.7a396153adac

Quote:
The Republican senators at the forefront of the latest effort to undo the Affordable Care Act proposed Monday sending more health-care dollars to the states of key holdouts, hoping to keep their bill viable as it faced a wall of resistance on Capitol Hill.

Republican Sens. Bill Cassidy (La.) and Lindsey O. Graham (S.C.) have given more money to Alaska and Maine — two of whose GOP senators, Lisa Murkowski (Alaska) and Susan Collins (Maine), respectively — have expressed concerns but not yet declared how they would vote on the measure.

But there was little evidence Monday that the changes would secure enough votes for the legislation’s passage. Sen. Rand Paul (Ky.), who is one of two GOP senators against the bill, reiterated his opposition to the updated measure, and the other lawmaker, Sen. John McCain (Ariz.), has objected to it on the grounds that there has been no bipartisan outreach.

This is how politics has always worked. Need a vote? Give some pork. I don't know why people are so shocked at this.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject:

All ya'll ragging on me about my age are gonna wish they were in my age group when Trumpcare becomes law.

On a serious note; Some people of great intelligence have stated, if there was an election for president tomorrow Trump would win.

That begs the question, HOW FAR HAVE WE REALLY COME? There are people in the country that know they may lose their health benefits but will still vote for Trump because he speaks to their racial beliefs. As the banner in the ball park said, RACISM IS AS AMERICAN AS BASEBALL.

Top two priorities for America, racism and education.

JMHO

kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject:

So fighter jets are flying across the skies of Los Angeles. I saw it in downtown. Thought it might be a free air show. But I'm guessing No.
https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&vertical=default&q=jets%20los%20angeles&src=typd
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
So fighter jets are flying across the skies of Los Angeles. I saw it in downtown. Thought it might be a free air show. But I'm guessing No.
https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&vertical=default&q=jets%20los%20angeles&src=typd

Blue Angels were performing at Miramar in San Diego yesterday.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Oh ok. With all the war talk today. Thought it could be something else. I've never seen that before. Twitter said Blue Angels were in Miramar and their next stop is Huntington Beach. Don't know why they're doing laps around the TMZ. But hey maybe they're just practicing.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Oh ok. With all the war talk today. Thought it could be something else. I've never seen that before. Twitter said Blue Angels were in Miramar and their next stop is Huntington Beach. Don't know why they're doing laps around the TMZ. But hey maybe they're just practicing.

I'm guessing they are landing on a base around here since their show is this weekend in Huntington Beach.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:

Quote:

This is how politics has always worked. Need a vote? Give some pork. I don't know why people are so shocked at this.

I agree in general, although pork used to be a rider to vote for things, as in, you give me some and I give you some. Not, "you help me take healthcare from millions so a couple donors don't cut us off, and I will ease the pain just in your state".
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:03 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
All ya'll ragging on me about my age are gonna wish they were in my age group when Trumpcare becomes law.

On a serious note; Some people of great intelligence have stated, if there was an election for president tomorrow Trump would win.

That begs the question, HOW FAR HAVE WE REALLY COME? There are people in the country that know they may lose their health benefits but will still vote for Trump because he speaks to their racial beliefs. As the banner in the ball park said, RACISM IS AS AMERICAN AS BASEBALL.

JMHO

Yeah, but we don't just decide to have elections tomorrow. It's a two year process. And even in the election that he won, it took a divisive Democratic primary, years of negative media coverage of his opponent, an intervention by a foreign power, some questionable decisions by his opponents' campaign to compete in states where they had no shot in and ignore some states in the Midwest that he ended up winning, 8 years of a black man as president that motivated his base to show up, etc., for him to win by 70,000 votes in a handful of states he needed to win the Electoral College. If you run that election 100 times, he'd lose 90 times, but he was able to win by a razor thin margin.

His mistake is to think that he can do the same things he did in the past and get another victory. But the Democrats, if they support the right candidate and run a good campaign, will most likely defeat him in 2020, if he survives that long.

So he may still win, but he will probably lose. And yes, it bothers me that over 60 million people voted for an admitted sexual predator, a bigot, a know nothing and a narcissist, but 10 million more people voted for other candidates. He has no mandate from the people to behave and act like he does, and that somewhat makes me sleep at night.
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject:

Susan Collins says she cannot support the newest version of repeal and replace. Bill appears dead.

No on Graham-Cassidy
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:

Quote:

I agree in general, although pork used to be a rider to vote for things, as in, you give me some and I give you some. Not, "you help me take healthcare from millions so a couple donors don't cut us off, and I will ease the pain just in your state".

Yep ... This is definitely one of the most sinister uses of it I can remember. It used to just be about building the F-22 in like 47 states.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject:

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/09/25/trump-white-house-email-personal-243129
Quote:
Use of personal devices widespread in Trump's West Wing

Kushner, Ivanka, Bannon, Priebus, Cohn. The list goes on and on. "Lock Them Up!".

Jokes aside. There is only a certain amount hypocritical behavior I can take. And this administration and the GOP party in general has passed that line long ago.

Dems have been hypocritical in the past before as well. But the extremes I've seen from the right in recent years. It's jaw dropping. Some considered Trump better suited to be President specifically because of Hilary's private emails. Now it's all quiet on the Western Front.

Some criticized Barack for his 'clinging to guns" comment and going to Reverend Wright's church. And now Trump is purposely dividing our country for political gain while in office. And now it's no big deal.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
jodeke wrote:

JMHO

Yeah, but we don't just decide to have elections tomorrow. It's a two year process. And even in the election that he won, it took a divisive Democratic primary, years of negative media coverage of his opponent, an intervention by a foreign power, some questionable decisions by his opponents' campaign to compete in states where they had no shot in and ignore some states in the Midwest that he ended up winning, 8 years of a black man as president that motivated his base to show up, etc., for him to win by 70,000 votes in a handful of states he needed to win the Electoral College. If you run that election 100 times, he'd lose 90 times, but he was able to win by a razor thin margin.

His mistake is to think that he can do the same things he did in the past and get another victory. But the Democrats, if they support the right candidate and run a good campaign, will most likely defeat him in 2020, if he survives that long.

So he may still win, but he will probably lose. And yes, it bothers me that over 60 million people voted for an admitted sexual predator, a bigot, a know nothing and a narcissist, but 10 million more people voted for other candidates. He has no mandate from the people to behave and act like he does, and that somewhat makes me sleep at night.

I agree particularly with the point about the Dems picking the right candidate. I can't prove it and its just a hunch, but I think people will soon tire of the divisiveness and want someone more moderate.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
jodeke wrote:

JMHO

W won by the thinnest of hairs his first time running. The second, he decisively won. Trump may have strategically won last time but there's still a significant chance he could still win again and perhaps with a better win % in 2020. Never underestimate the ordinary citizen. They give you stuff like reality TV star in the White House and "The Chad".

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 590, 591, 592 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next
Page 591 of 3663
Jump to: