THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2174, 2175, 2176 ... 3669, 3670, 3671  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:05 am    Post subject:

NYT: The 1,000-Bed Comfort Was Supposed to Aid New York. It Has 20 Patients.

Quote:
Such were the expectations for the Navy hospital ship U.S.N.S. Comfort that when it chugged into New York Harbor this week, throngs of people, momentarily forgetting the strictures of social distancing, crammed together along Manhattan’s west side to catch a glimpse.

On Thursday, though, the huge white vessel, which officials had promised would bring succor to a city on the brink, sat mostly empty, infuriating executives at local hospitals. The ship’s 1,000 beds are largely unused, its 1,200-member crew mostly idle.

Only 20 patients had been transferred to the ship, officials said, even as New York hospitals struggled to find space for the thousands infected with the coronavirus. Another Navy hospital ship, the U.S.N.S. Mercy, docked in Los Angeles, has had a total of 15 patients, officials said.

“If I’m blunt about it, it’s a joke,” said Michael Dowling, the head of Northwell Health, New York’s largest hospital system. “Everyone can say, ‘Thank you for putting up these wonderful places and opening up these cavernous halls.’ But we’re in a crisis here, we’re in a battlefield.”

Quote:
But the reality has been different. A tangle of military protocols and bureaucratic hurdles has prevented the Comfort from accepting many patients at all.

On top of its strict rules preventing people infected with the virus from coming on board, the Navy is also refusing to treat a host of other conditions. Guidelines disseminated to hospitals included a list of 49 medical conditions that would exclude a patient from admittance to the ship.

Ambulances cannot take patients directly to the Comfort; they must first deliver patients to a city hospital for a lengthy evaluation — including a test for the virus — and then pick them up again for transport to the ship.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:06 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
At some point, you just have to accept the results of an election that took place almost four years ago and move on.

One of the laziest and most insipid misdirections from the right has been characterizing any Congressional attempt to perform their oversight role as "seeking a do-over of the 2016 election."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:15 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
If your loved one gets sick with COVID-19, no amount of Fox News can convince you that it's no big deal, even if you live in a red state. If you lose your job and can't pay the rent, no amount of spin can convince you there's nothing to worry about. This thing is a ticking time bomb in red states because their governors were the last to take it seriously and impose stay at home orders-- and many still haven't. Rural hospitals are few and far between will be overrun much quicker than urban hospitals.

Lies and propaganda only work when you imagine it's all happening to someone else. But when it happens to you? The blinders are more likely to come off.

At the very least, I consider this to be an interesting experience. I characterized it before as unstoppable facts meeting intransigent ideology. I'm honestly not sure which wins.

I think in the end, there will be a significant number of people who are personally devastated by loss of life, livelihood, healthcare and social-economic status, and STILL be solidly in the Trump camp.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:19 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Russian election interference = hoax
Ukraine blackmail scandal = hoax
Nancy Pelosi = weak, do-nothing tool
Congressional oversight = sour grapes over 2016 election

Those are all right-wing, Trumpian talking points that have no basis in reality. If you come here and spout those talking points and people react and call it out, then it's not "bellyaching." It's an attempt to refute the lies.

I personally posted at least a dozen articles over the last few pages detailing incidence after incidence of Trump's incompetence in handling the current COVID-19 crisis. But instead of reading the articles, absorbing new information and debating the information, it's apparently easier to get mad at Nancy Pelosi for trying to do oversight of the executive branch - which is her actual job. That's like blaming the cop for investigating the bank robber. And to top it all off, we're the bellyachers?

No.

Yeah -- in fact, LANNY -- please carefully consider your next response here. Think about whether you're actively engaging the arguments and participating in the discussion, rather than throwing out vacuous potshots. We had little tolerance for that before -- and right now, with everything going on, my tolerance is zero.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:28 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
If your loved one gets sick with COVID-19, no amount of Fox News can convince you that it's no big deal, even if you live in a red state. If you lose your job and can't pay the rent, no amount of spin can convince you there's nothing to worry about. This thing is a ticking time bomb in red states because their governors were the last to take it seriously and impose stay at home orders-- and many still haven't. Rural hospitals are few and far between will be overrun much quicker than urban hospitals.

Lies and propaganda only work when you imagine it's all happening to someone else. But when it happens to you? The blinders are more likely to come off.

At the very least, I consider this to be an interesting experience. I characterized it before as unstoppable facts meeting intransigent ideology. I'm honestly not sure which wins.

I think in the end, there will be a significant number of people who are personally devastated by loss of life, livelihood, healthcare and social-economic status, and STILL be solidly in the Trump camp.

Yes, I've sadly concluded there are a certain number of cult members who will go down with the ship still believing in the cult leader. But not all will. Human nature wants to look for someone to blame. Trump is looking for a scapegoat to shift blame away from himself. He tried to blame it all on China (and Democrats and Obama). Now he's trying to blame the governors. But you can't fool all the people all the time. People actually know their own governors and whether they've done a good job or not. The fact that his approval number (for handling the outbreak) dropped 9 points in two weeks tells me there are still people in the middle who can be swayed by facts on the ground. And I think that diminishes his chances for re-election enough to matter.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:35 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

I agree, because Trump makes sure to always lay blame at the feet of the previous administration and the Democrats in general . . . and his supporters believe him.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:20 am    Post subject:

The American left has truly found its Tom Friedman in Anand Giridharadas.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:39 am    Post subject:

Repeating this for those that missed it last week, and as a rebuttal to Trump trying to blame it all on China:

Trump says China “should have told us” about coronavirus. He removed the official meant to do that. A US epidemiologist was embedded with the Chinese CDC. The Trump administration discontinued the position.

Quote:
President Donald Trump loves to blame China for the coronavirus pandemic, but new information surfaced over the weekend that the administration eliminated a position last July that potentially could have helped the US get an earlier jump on a response to the crisis, suggesting the president may need to place blame a little closer to home.

The Trump administration told the United States’ embed at the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) that the position would be defunded, causing her to leave her post in July 2019, according to a report from Reuters’s Marisa Taylor. The embed helped train Chinese public health experts and served in part as a liaison between Chinese officials and their counterparts in the US.

With the administration planning to discontinue the role, the embed return to the US about five months before China began to see its first Covid-19 cases. Under normal circumstances, the embed likely would have passed information about the novel virus to US officials. Instead, Chinese officials were able for weeks to conceal the virus and the threat it posed, leading to a delay in the world’s response to what was then a matter of great concern and is now a pandemic.

When asked about his administration’s role in this decision during Sunday’s daily coronavirus press conference, Trump called on US CDC Director Robert Redfield to answer the question before attacking the press, saying, “This is just like the other stuff that you, not you, but the press was asking. We actually gave CDC more money, not less money — they said we defunded, it turned out it was more money. Every one of those things that was said were 100 percent wrong, and this sounds like another one.”

Quote:
CDC funding has in fact gone up under the Trump administration — but in direct opposition to the president’s wishes. All of his budgets have requested that funding be cut, requests Congress ignored. It was only last week that the administration retracted its request for CDC funding cuts for 2021. And it has successfully eliminated public health positions it has control over.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:53 am    Post subject:

A Pandemic Won’t Stop Trump And Republicans From Trying To Get More Judges Confirmed

This also leads us back to what the Senate was doing right after the Impeachment trial. Since we hear that the Senate was too busy with impeachment to look at the coronavirus pandemic (and there are about a score of reasons why this is total bs), they must have taken this up the next day. Right? Wrong. What did they do immediately after the trial had concluded?

Yep. On Feb 6, "the Senate will resume consideration of Executive Calendar #562, Andrew Lynn Brasher, of Alabama, to be US Circuit Judge for the Eleventh Circuit.

https://www.democrats.senate.gov/2020/02/05/schedule-for-thursday-february-6-and-monday-february-10-2020
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:04 am    Post subject:

(From the Covid thread)

ChefLinda wrote:
leor_77 wrote:
We need some form of robot health worker. Something that could remotely do simple things, like bring meds, food, check temp, check vitals, etc (I'm sure there are additional things, as well). robots are potentially unlimited, and won't get sick. I'm sure it sounds futuristic, but it needs to get done.

This whole thing should be a wakeup call that health workers are not unlimited.

My best friend's son is a doctor in NYC. He tested positive for COVID-19 a few weeks ago with mild symptoms. He self-quarantined, became symptom free after two weeks, and is now back in hospital full time. His mom asked him to take it easy going back, and he said, Mom, that's not who I am or what we do. We have to do this, we have no choice. Heartbreaking all the way around.

After this is said and done, we should create a national holiday, Health Care Workers Day, to celebrate and honor their dedication and sacrifice.

Since Republicans will object, because that is what they do, we could offset it with a National un-holiday on some Saturday to (dis)honor Donald Trump.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:27 am    Post subject:

And sometimes people pay attention when their Republican Senators sell them out:

Quote:
Jacob Rubashkin @JacobRubashkin

SENATE RATINGS CHANGES

@InsideElections has shifted the following Senate races, all in Democrats' favor:

Colorado (Gardner, R) - Moves from Toss-up to TILT D
Maine (Collins, R) - Moves from Tilt R to TOSS-UP
New Hampshire (Shaheen, D) - Moves from Likely D to SOLID D
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:04 pm    Post subject:

Congress Wants A Do-Over On Its Coronavirus Debacle (They’re calling it “Phase Four,” but it means, “We screwed up.”)

Quote:
After Democrats won a bunch of wealthy suburban districts in the 2018 midterms, party leadership began prioritizing a big tax cut for upper-middle-class homeowners. It’s a rather strange about-face from the posture Pelosi took last month, when any aid had to be ”targeted″ to the families who needed it most. We’ve moved from making sure no $1,200 checks go out to families with six-figure incomes to funneling aid directly to Lexus Democrats in just a few days.

Vomit inducing video of Wilbur Ross's victory lap included.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:57 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Congress Wants A Do-Over On Its Coronavirus Debacle (They’re calling it “Phase Four,” but it means, “We screwed up.”)

Quote:
After Democrats won a bunch of wealthy suburban districts in the 2018 midterms, party leadership began prioritizing a big tax cut for upper-middle-class homeowners. It’s a rather strange about-face from the posture Pelosi took last month, when any aid had to be ”targeted″ to the families who needed it most. We’ve moved from making sure no $1,200 checks go out to families with six-figure incomes to funneling aid directly to Lexus Democrats in just a few days.

Thanks for the heads up on avoiding this guy Zach Carter forever.

There are leftist folks who clearly like the aesthetics of Trump if not all of the content and are rooting for him to come out in support of M4A and crush Joe Biden and normie Dems in the general election.
eddiejonze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:15 pm    Post subject:

[More personal comments deleted. -CL]
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:41 pm    Post subject:

I'm dismayed, not surprised by Trump supporters not seeing the entire canvas. The country is in the direst state I've ever seen and I've seen a lot of dire times.

Trump is the most incompetent leader this country has EVER had. The back to the separate bathrooms, water fountains and lunch counter crowd is alive and well.

WE SHALL OVERCOME!!!!

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:28 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
I'm dismayed, not surprised by Trump supporters not seeing the entire canvas. The country is in the direst state I've ever seen and I've seen a lot of dire times.

Trump is the most incompetent leader this country has EVER had. The back to the separate bathrooms, water fountains and lunch counter crowd is alive and well.

WE SHALL OVERCOME!!!!

He made a dumb joke about banging models at a pandemic press conference. The only good thing about it was watching Pence's black soul leave his body on live tv after hearing it.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:46 pm    Post subject:

This is a brilliant thread piecing together the Trump Administration/Coronavirus timeline from inauguration to present. Here's a link to the original Twitter thread with pictures, video and links to all the related articles: link

Quote:
Thread: A Timeline Showing Trump’s Disastrous Handling of the Coronavirus Pandemic

This thread shows clearly and definitively that Trump knew a pandemic was coming, knew the US was unprepared for it, and left the US helpless to contain or combat the virus.

January 11, 2017

“Anthony S. Fauci, MD, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said there is ‘no doubt’ Donald J. Trump will be confronted with a surprise infectious disease outbreak during his presidency.”

Fauci: ‘No doubt’ Trump will face surprise infectious disease outbreak
Anthony S. Fauci, MD, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said there is “no doubt” Donald J. Trump will be confronted with a surprise infectious disease…
https://www.healio.com/infectious-disease/emerging-diseases/news/online/%7B85a3f9c0-ed0a-4be8-9ca2-8854b2be7d13%7D/fauci-no-doubt-trump-will-face-surprise-infectious-disease-outbreak

January 13, 2017

Outgoing members of the Obama Administration walked Trump’s team through their pandemic playbook. Rather than following the playbook, the Trump Administration would wing it, fail miserably, and blame Obama.

Before Trump’s inauguration, a warning: ‘The worst influenza pandemic since 1918’
In a tabletop exercise days before an untested new president took power, officials briefed the incoming administration on a scenario remarkably like the one he faces now.
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/16/trump-inauguration-warning-scenario-pandemic-132797

February 1, 2018

Trump’s CDC announced plans to cut its efforts to fight global pandemics by 80%, scaling back operations in the world’s hot spots for emerging infectious disease, including removing personnel from China.

washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-h…

February 13, 2018

The US Intelligence Community released its annual intelligence assessment identifying coronaviruses as “having pandemic potential if they were to acquire efficient human-to-human transmissibility.”

dni.gov/files/document…

May 2018

Trump’s National Security Advisor, John Bolton, guts the NSC’s pandemic unit and fires the NSC’s pandemic expert leaving the position vacant and never filling it.

Sudden Departure Of White House Global Health Security Head Has Experts Worried
Rear Adm. Tim Ziemer is among the departures since John Bolton became head of the National Security Council.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/tim-ziemer-global-health-security-leaves_n_5af37dfbe4b0859d11d02290

August 2018

Trump is warned that his tariffs on Chinese goods will lead to a shortage in medical equipment due to most such equipment coming from China. Trump ignored the warning and imposed the tariffs, creating the exact shortage he was warned of.

Trump's trade policy is hampering the US fight against COVID-19
An alarming unintended consequence of President Donald Trump’s misguided trade war with China has suddenly threatened to cripple the US fight against the COVID-19 pandemic.
https://www.piie.com/blogs/trade-and-investment-policy-watch/trumps-trade-policy-hampering-us-fight-against-covid-19

January-August, 2019

The Trump Administration ran a pandemic simulation called Crimson Contagion, resulting in a report concluding that the Administration was woefully unprepared for a pandemic, including being short on PPE. Nothing was done to fix it.
Before Virus Outbreak, a Cascade of Warnings Went Unheeded
Government exercises, including one last year, made clear that the U.S. was not ready for a pandemic like the coronavirus. But little was done.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/19/us/politics/trump-coronavirus-outbreak.html

July 2019

Trump eliminated a key American public health position in Beijing intended to help detect disease outbreaks in China, leaving the US without an observer on the ground in the most likely spot in the world to spark a global pandemic.
Exclusive: U.S. axed CDC expert job in China months before virus outbreak
Several months before the coronavirus pandemic began, the Trump administration eliminated a key American public health position in Beijing intended to help detect disease outbreaks in China, Reuters …
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-china-cdc-exclusiv-idUSKBN21910S

October 2019

Trump shut down the US Agency for International Development’s “PREDICT” project to track and research potential pandemic diseases, a move widely panned as making the world more vulnerable to a pandemic.
A crucial federal program tracking dangerous diseases is shutting down
Predict, a pandemic preparedness program, thrived under Bush and Obama. Now it’s canceled.
https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/2019/10/29/20936921/usaid-predict-pandemic-preparedness

January-February 2020

Trump received intelligence briefings throughout January and February warning that coronavirus was likely to result in a global pandemic, but maintained publicly that the pandemic was completely contained.

washingtonpost.com/national-secur…

January 11, 2020

China published coronavirus genome allowing tests to be developed. While South Korea was able to roll out widespread testing in early February 2020, Trump’s CDC would be unable to produce a reliable test until late March.
Chinese researchers reveal draft genome of virus implicated in Wuhan pneumonia outbreak
Scientists praise decision to make date public; U.S. group sets out to produce live virus from the sequence
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/01/chinese-researchers-reveal-draft-genome-virus-implicated-wuhan-pneumonia-outbreak

January-February 2020

Trump’s CDC declined to copy the WHO coronavirus test and created its own faulty test, leaving the US without testing until late March and losing the chance of containment. Trump’s FDA also hampered private test development efforts.

The Lost Month: How a Failure to Test Blinded the U.S. to Covid-19
Aggressive screening might have helped contain the coronavirus in the United States. But technical flaws, regulatory hurdles and lapses in leadership let it spread undetected for weeks.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/28/us/testing-coronavirus-pandemic.html

January 22, 2020

Trump told a reporter he was not concerned about the coronavirus becoming a pandemic and said it was completely under control.
CNBC TRANSCRIPT: PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP SITS DOWN WITH CNBC'S JOE KERNEN AT THE WORLD ECONOMIC FORUM IN DAVOS, SWITZERLAND
https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/01/22/cnbc-transcript-president-donald-trump-sits-down-with-cnbcs-joe-kernen-at-the-world-economic-forum-in-davos-switzerland.html#click=https://t.co/v40HWQ5iSu
January 22-March 10, 2020

Trump repeatedly downplayed the seriousness of the global pandemic in public statements, conditioning the US population not to take it seriously. To this day, large swaths of the public believe social distancing is unnecessary.

January 2020

Without wearing PPE, Trump’s HHS employees entered a hangar where coronavirus evacuees were being received at an Air Force base in California, and then moved freely on and off the base, likely sparking the spread of the virus in California.
U.S. Health Workers Responding to Coronavirus Lacked Training and Protective Gear, Whistle-Blower Says
Team members were not properly trained, lacked necessary gear and moved freely around and off military bases where Americans were quarantined, a complaint says.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/27/us/politics/coronavirus-us-whistleblower.html

January 31, 2020

Trump banned foreign nationals who had been to China from entering the US, but allowed US citizens to travel daily to and from China resulting in hundreds of people entering the US from China each day with no screening or testing.
Donald Trump never actually banned flights from China or Europe. Why?
On Saturday, Italy announced that 793 people had died that day from COVID-19, the coronavirus that originated in China that has rapidly spread across the world. That was up from 627 deaths that had o…
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2020/mar/22/trump-never-actually-banned-flights-from-china-or-/

February 5, 2020

Trump overrode the CDC and ordered that 14 passengers infected with the coronavirus be flown home in a plane full of uninfected people. washingtonpost.com/health/coronav…
February 5, 2020

Trump received a request from HHS Secretary Azar for $2 billion to buy respirator masks and other supplies for the national stockpile, but Trump supplied only 25% of the requested funds.
washingtonpost.com/national/healt…

February 7, 2020

While downplaying the seriousness of the pandemic and knowing the US’s strategic reserves were insufficient to combat a global pandemic, Trump facilitated the transportation of 17.8 tons of privately donated medical equipment to China.
The United States Announces Assistance To Combat the Novel Coronavirus - United States Department of State
The U.S. is prepared to spend up to $100 million in existing funds to assist China and other impacted countries to contain and combat the novel coronavirus.
https://www.state.gov/the-united-states-announces-assistance-to-combat-the-novel-coronavirus/

February 24, 2020

Trump attempted to manipulate the stock market stating that it is “starting to look very good,” despite later claiming to know at the time of his statement that the world faced a serious pandemic that would surely destroy the US economy.
markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/tr…

February 26, 2020

Despite being an antivaxxer and knowing that it would take over a year to develop a vaccine, Trump claimed the coronavirus was “a little like the regular flu...and we’ll essentially have a flu shot for this, in a fairly quick manner.”
Remarks by President Trump, Vice President Pence, and Members of the Coronavirus Task Force in Press Conference | The White House
James S. Brady Press Briefing Room February 26, 2020 6:37 P.M. EST THE PRESIDENT: Thank you very much, everybody. Thank you very much. Before I begin, I’d like to extend my deepest condolences to t…
https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/remarks-president-trump-vice-president-pence-members-coronavirus-task-force-press-conference/

February 28, 2020

Due to CDC and other agency pronouncements undermining Trump’s attempts to downplay the seriousness of the virus, Trump muzzled all federal agencies by requiring Pence to approve all coronavirus communications before dissemination.
Pence's office placed in charge of coronavirus messaging
Vice President Mike Pence's office is in charge of all novel coronavirus messaging after several aides blamed negative coverage about the response on too many mixed messages from senior members of th…
https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/02/27/politics/pence-messaging-coronavirus/index.html#click=https://t.co/qLAcRnM5IG

March 4, 2020

Trump’s HHS admitted the US only had 1% of face masks needed for “full-blown” coronavirus pandemic.
HHS clarifies US has about 1% of face masks needed for 'full-blown' coronavirus pandemic
The Strategic National Stockpile currently holds approximately 12 million medical-grade N95 masks and 30 million surgical face masks.
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/04/hhs-clarifies-us-has-about-1percent-of-face-masks-needed-for-full-blown-pandemic.html

March 7-8, 2020

Trump took a golf trip to Palm Beach and Mar-a-Lago, knowing that coronavirus was continuing to spread unchecked in the United States.
Trump in Palm Beach: Quiet day, festive night, then barbed tweets just before midnight
On Saturday night in Palm Beach, President Donald Trump talked about his administration’s handling of the coronavirus outbreak. Then he took aim at Joe Biden and the Democrats.
https://www.palmbeachdailynews.com/news/20200307/trump-in-palm-beach-quiet-day-festive-night-then-barbed-tweets-just-before-midnight

March 2020

Trump’s refusal to implement the Defense Production Act and coordinate procurement of medical equipment for states forced them to bid against each other, creating delays and price gouging that hampered attempts to contain and combat the virus.
States Are Being Forced Into Bidding Wars To Get Medical Equipment To Combat Coronavirus
Bidding wars for medical supplies are leaving states under equipped to tackle the Coronavirus COVID-19.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/claryestes/2020/03/28/states-have-are-being-forced-into-bidding-wars-to-get-medical-equipment-to-combat-coronavirus/

March 18, 2020

Trump finally signed executive order on the Defense Production Act to address massive shortages in PPE and ventilators across the US. Trump would spend the next 9 days saying he wouldn’t invoke the DPA and would only use it as “leverage.”
Executive Order on Prioritizing and Allocating Health and Medical Resources to Respond to the Spread of Covid-19 | The White House
By the authority vested in me as President by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, including the Defense Production Act of 1950, as amended (50 U.S.C. 4501 et seq.) (the “Ac…
https://www.whitehouse.gov/presidential-actions/executive-order-prioritizing-allocating-health-medical-resources-respond-spread-covid-19/

March 20, 2020

Trump promoted unproven drug treatments as if they were miracle cures.
Trump, promoting unproven drug treatments, insults NBC reporter at coronavirus briefing
NBC News' Peter Alexander asked Trump to respond to Americans who are scared by the pandemic, which triggered the president to reply with an insult.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1165031#click=https://t.co/Fr36MLUNMX

March 21, 2020

Despite having known about the pandemic for months and having already sent 17.8 tons of strategic pandemic reserves to China, Trump launched an orchestrated campaign to accuse China of covering up the global pandemic.
thedailybeast.com/white-house-pu…

March 24, 2020

Trump threatened to withhold federal funding from states that were critical of his handling of the pandemic.

March 24-25, 2020

Trump floated the idea of terminating all social distancing and allowing the coronavirus to ravage the country.

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump
The LameStream Media is the dominant force in trying to get me to keep our Country closed as long as possible in the hope that it will be detrimental to my election success. The real people want to get back to work ASAP. We will be stronger than ever before!

4:04 PM - Mar 25, 2020
Twitter Ads info and privacy
138K people are talking about this

March 26, 2020

Trump Claimed U.S. States Don't Need the Amount of Ventilators They're Asking for: “I Don't Believe You Need 40,000 or 30,000”
Trump claims U.S. states don't need the amount of ventilators they're asking for: "I don't believe you need 40,000 or 30,000"
"You know, at a major hospital sometimes they'll have two ventilators," Trump said. "All of a sudden they're saying, 'Can we order 30,000 ventilators?'"
https://www.newsweek.com/trump-claims-us-states-dont-need-amount-ventilators-theyre-asking-i-dont-believe-you-need-1494599

March 28, 2020

Trump sent California 170 broken ventilators.
California governor: 170 ventilators sent from Trump administration were 'not working'
California Gov. Gavin Newsom (D) said Saturday that 170 ventilators shipped by the federal government to help his state respond to the outbreak of the novel coronavirus were "not working" when they a…
https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/490033-newsom-170-ventilators-sent-from-federal-government-arrived-not-working

March 28, 2020

Trump said he had a slush fund of $500 billion that he can dole out to himself and to corporations, and that he can simply ignore the limits placed by Congress on how he can spend the money.
Trump undercuts oversight for coronavirus bailouts with controversial signing statement
Trump says he has the power to block provision of stimulus that informs Congress where the corporate bailouts go
https://www.salon.com/2020/03/28/trump-undercuts-oversight-for-coronavirus-bailouts-with-controversial-signing-statement_partner/

March 29, 2020

Trump accuses hospitals of hoarding ventilators and accuses health care professionals of stealing PPE.
Trump accuses hospitals of hoarding ventilators and implies face masks are being stolen
President Trump claimed some hospitals are hoarding stashes of ventilators and insinuated that staff may be stealing face masks amid the coronavirus pandemic.
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/trump-accuses-hospitals-of-hoarding-ventilators-and-implies-face-masks-are-being-stolen?utm_source=msn&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=msn_feed

March 30, 2020

Rural state governors inform Trump they still lack tests and medical supplies. Trump tells governors he has not heard about test shortages “in weeks,” despite non-stop press coverage of the lack of coronavirus tests in the US.
Rural-state governors tell Trump they need tests and medical supplies, too
The epicenter of the outbreak in the U.S. is in New York and other urban areas, and they're getting the bulk of the equipment.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/rural-state-governors-tell-trump-they-need-tests-and-medical-supplies-too/

March 2020

Medical supply manufacturers say they cannot figure out how to prioritize the supply of medical equipment among the states. Trump steadfastly refuses to intervene and nationalize the medical supply chain, leading to inefficiency and shortages.

Manufacturers Seek U.S. Help in Deciding Where to Ship Scarce Medical Goods
Producers and distributors of medical supplies across the country are raising red flags about what they say is a lack of guidance from the federal government about where to send their products.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/manufacturers-seek-u-s-help-in-deciding-where-to-ship-scarce-medical-goods-11585474201

March 31, 2020

FEMA announced it “has not actively encouraged or discouraged U.S. companies from exporting [PPE] overseas,” with 280M masks purchased by foreign buyers from US companies in a single day on March 30, despite desperate shortages in the US.

Pence task force freezes coronavirus aid amid backlash
The review came after officials discovered that aid to foreign countries wasn't being coordinated with U.S. requests.
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/31/pence-task-force-coronavirus-aid-157806

March 31, 2020

Trump’s US Agency for International Development is finally stopped from providing PPE to foreign countries after Trump’s coronavirus task force realizes it will look bad when the public finds out what it has been doing.
Pence task force freezes coronavirus aid amid backlash
The review came after officials discovered that aid to foreign countries wasn't being coordinated with U.S. requests.
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/31/pence-task-force-coronavirus-aid-157806

April 1, 2020

After Trump depleted our strategic stockpile of PPE by *donating* tons of it to China and other countries around the world, Trump announces he had a call with Putin where he agreed to *purchase* PPE from Russia.

U.S. Purchase of Needed Supplies from Russia - United States Department of State
The United States is committed to the global fight against COVID-19. We are a generous and reliable contributor to crisis response and humanitarian action across the world, but we cannot do it alone…
https://www.state.gov/u-s-purchase-of-needed-supplies-from-russia/

April 1, 2020

Trump Administration admits that the national stockpile of PPE is almost completely empty.

washingtonpost.com/national/coron…

April 1, 2020

Thousands of ventilators in the US stockpile found to be broken after Trump Administration allowed the maintenance contract for the ventilators to expire in 2019.

A Ventilator Stockpile, With One Hitch: Thousands Do Not Work
While President Trump has assured states that thousands of ventilators remain at the ready, thousands more are in storage, unmaintained or otherwise unusable.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/01/us/politics/coronavirus-ventilato
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:01 pm    Post subject:

And then we have the Fox News Idiots timeline where they tell their viewers for two straight months that coronavirus is nothing more than a cold or flu and the left wing media is only focusing on it because they hate Trump:

Video courtesy the Daily Show
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:42 pm    Post subject:

The purge continues behind the cover of a pandemic:
Quote:
Ken Dilanian
@KenDilanianNBC
The president has notified Congress that he is removing the inspector general for the intelligence community, the official who helped make sure Congress got the Ukraine whistleblower complaint. The firing will take effect in 30 days, according to a letter obtained by NBC News.

https://twitter.com/KenDilanianNBC/status/1246260448296607747
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:56 pm    Post subject:

Here's a conspiracy theory I only half believe: the elite media regardless of ostensible political bent wants four more years of Trump.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:04 pm    Post subject:

Joe Rogan today:

"I'd rather vote for Trump than Biden."

and there it is

what are your thoughts, Bernie/Rogan bros?

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:06 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:

Quote:

You know, a less dumb article would've focused on how the CARES Act should give Dems leverage to play harball on Phase 3.5 to secure vote by mail and a few other provisions rather than calling Pelosi and Schumer dumdums without the magic wand to make Bernie president, which is what Zach Carter only really cares about.
eddiejonze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:41 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
Joe Rogan today:

and there it is

His candidate didn't win so he's gonna sit this one out like a baby/
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:57 pm    Post subject:

Bernie's embrace of Rogan is one major reason AOC distanced herself from the campaign.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:58 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
Joe Rogan today:

and there it is

Biden clearly has far more cognitive ability than Rogan. If anyone is going to talk about Poor Old Joe the Demented Fool from this point on, it’s clearly Joe Rogan who has lost his mind.

But hey, Rogan gives a “sincere voice “ to the Tulsi Gabbards of the world, so who cares if he is bat (bleep) crazy?
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2174, 2175, 2176 ... 3669, 3670, 3671  Next
Page 2175 of 3671
Jump to: