THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2450, 2451, 2452 ... 3668, 3669, 3670  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:26 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Amy Siskind @Amy_Siskind
·
Morning Consult finds Democrats more motived by Supreme Court vacancy.

Also finds:

MI
Biden 51
Trump 44

IA
Biden 51
Trump 42

and this can't be...
SC
Biden 51
Trump 43
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:31 am    Post subject:

Selzer (rated A+) released a poll out of Iowa:

Biden 47
Trump 47

That's great news for Biden, if he loses that state by a point. Hillary lost it by 10 points.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:36 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
All the women on Trump's list are right-wing religious zealots who think women should be subservient to men and wives should defer to their husbands.

If that's what they believe, then that's their right...as provincial as it might be.

The same goes for Trump's racist supporters.

F#ck all those troglodytes.

Every time one of them leaves this earth, the world becomes a better place.

trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:43 am    Post subject:

As if we didn’t have enough to worry about

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/naked-ballots-pennsylvania-court-ruling-100000-rejected/

Top Philadelphia elections official warns of "electoral chaos" over "naked ballots"

Quote:
The top elections official in Philadelphia on Monday warned that the state Supreme Court's decision to reject ballots missing privacy envelopes has "set Pennsylvania up to be the subject of significant post-election legal controversy, the likes of which we have not seen since Florida in 2000."

Lisa Deeley, chair of the Philadelphia city commissioners and a Democrat, predicted that the court's decision could result in the statewide rejection of over 100,000 ballots, more than twice the margin of Trump's 2016 victory in the state.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:47 am    Post subject:

trmiv wrote:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/naked-ballots-pennsylvania-court-ruling-100000-rejected/

Top Philadelphia elections official warns of "electoral chaos" over "naked ballots"

Quote:
The top elections official in Philadelphia on Monday warned that the state Supreme Court's decision to reject ballots missing privacy envelopes has "set Pennsylvania up to be the subject of significant post-election legal controversy, the likes of which we have not seen since Florida in 2000."

Lisa Deeley, chair of the Philadelphia city commissioners and a Democrat, predicted that the court's decision could result in the statewide rejection of over 100,000 ballots, more than twice the margin of Trump's 2016 victory in the state.

There is no bottom with GOP controlled legislatures and courts when it comes to cheating Democrats out of their right to vote. I hope whatever Voting Rights Act the Democrats eventually pass will prevent all this nonsense once and for all.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:59 am    Post subject:

There is no (bleep) bottom with these people.

Washington Post: Pentagon used taxpayer money meant for masks and swabs to make jet engine parts and body armor

Quote:
A $1 billion fund Congress gave the Pentagon in March to build up the country’s supplies of medical equipment has instead been mostly funneled to defense contractors and used to make things such as jet engine parts, body armor and dress uniforms.

The change illustrates how one taxpayer-backed effort to battle the novel coronavirus, which has killed about 200,000 Americans, was instead diverted toward patching up long-standing perceived gaps in military supplies.

The Cares Act, which Congress passed earlier this year, gave the Pentagon money to “prevent, prepare for, and respond to coronavirus.” But a few weeks later, the Defense Department began reshaping how it would award the money in a way that represented a major departure from Congress’s intent.

Quote:
The payments were made even though U.S. health officials think major funding gaps in pandemic response still remain. Robert Redfield, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said in Senate testimony last week that states desperately need $6 billion to distribute vaccines to Americans early next year. Many U.S. hospitals still face a severe shortage of N95 masks. These are the types of problems that the money was originally intended to address.

I want to see people prosecuted for this.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:11 am    Post subject:

This is not how Democracy is supposed to work.

Quote:
Ben Rhodes @brhodes

The GOP couldn't kill Obamacare through elections or the Congress. So now they're building upon the theft of a SCOTUS seat to do it through unelected judges nominated by Presidents who lost the popular vote and confirmed by Senators who represent a minority of Americans.

They tyranny of the minority who lie, steal and cheat to hang onto power at the expense of the majority.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:12 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
trmiv wrote:

Quote:

There is no bottom with GOP controlled legislatures and courts when it comes to cheating Democrats out of their right to vote. I hope whatever Voting Rights Act the Democrats eventually pass will prevent all this nonsense once and for all.

It's crazy to see the GOP pretend to care about the importance of maintaining the integrity of the election while they brazenly plot out in the open to steal it . . .
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:21 am    Post subject:

If there's a god Trump will lose by a landslide. I admit to much angst. Satan lurks.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:23 am    Post subject:

Romney to me is the worst of the bunch at this point. At least other republicans have told us all along who they were. Mittens pretended he cared by voting to convict Trump and then this. So Romney thinks that a guy who deserved to be removed from office should also be able to seat a SCOTUS judge and his reason is the Constitution? Same dude you voted to convict for (bleep) on the office of the president? Really?
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:29 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
If there's a god Trump will lose by a landslide. I admit to much angst. Satan lurks.

Quote:
The Greatest Trick the Devil Ever Pulled Was Convincing the World He Didn’t Exist

https://quoteinvestigator.com/2018/03/20/devil/
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:41 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
kikanga wrote:
The quotes I'm reading about Amy Coney Barrett (likely candidate to replace RBG on the Supreme Court) make me think women and non-cis, non-straight people are in for alot of years of hurt in the future.

All the women on Trump's list are right-wing religious zealots who think women should be subservient to men and wives should defer to their husbands.

So yeah, let's take women back about 100 years.

I can't even believe this is the United States of America any more.

If Biden wins and doesn't agree to suspend the filibuster and pack the courts, I'm not sure how I will mentally survive the future.

And - if this doesn't rile up suburban women on the fence I don't know what will. You think suburban women want to lose healthcare for their children and the right to choose for their themselves and their daughters? These are the same women who came out in waves over healthcare in 2018 for the blue wave that won back the House.

Bye bye healthcare, women reproductive rights, LGBTQ rights, and voting rights.

I've become somewhat desensitized these past 4 years. But even this has me tilted to the point where I'm minimizing my political engagement for a little while.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:43 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
...this has me tilted to the point where I'm minimizing my political engagement for a little while.

Me, too.

Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:50 am    Post subject:

You'd think Romney would want to separate himself from the sycophants in Washington if he is indeed running in 2024. Or maybe he's not running or maybe he thinks too much separation would hurt him with the base, even if Trump loses in a landslide. Whatever the case, he'll be just a footnote in history.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:52 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
kikanga wrote:
The quotes I'm reading about Amy Coney Barrett (likely candidate to replace RBG on the Supreme Court) make me think women and non-cis, non-straight people are in for alot of years of hurt in the future.

So yeah, let's take women back about 100 years.

I can't even believe this is the United States of America any more.

If Biden wins and doesn't agree to suspend the filibuster and pack the courts, I'm not sure how I will mentally survive the future.

And - if this doesn't rile up suburban women on the fence I don't know what will. You think suburban women want to lose healthcare for their children and the right to choose for their themselves and their daughters? These are the same women who came out in waves over healthcare in 2018 for the blue wave that won back the House.

Bye bye healthcare, women reproductive rights, LGBTQ rights, and voting rights.

I've become somewhat desensitized these past 4 years. But even this has me tilted to the point where I'm minimizing my political engagement for a little while.

I totally get it. It's all so discouraging, exasperating and infuriating and yet this is when we really need to dig in. But our personal responsibility to our own mental wellbeing is crucial as well.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:55 am    Post subject:

Washington Post: Republicans are handing Democrats a reason to undertake massive reform

Quote:
When Mitt Romney announced Tuesday that he would not stand in the way of confirming President Trump’s nominee to fill the Supreme Court seat of the late Ruth Bader Ginsburg, it made the nominee’s confirmation all but certain. The real mystery is why anyone is surprised: Romney is a conservative Republican who would be only too happy to see a bulletproof 6-3 conservative majority, whether he likes Trump or not.

Which is true for every Republican in the Senate, even if Susan Collins of Maine and Lisa Murkowski of Alaska felt enough shame to publicly abide by the phony rule their party invented when President Barack Obama nominated Merrick Garland, that no vacancies should be filled in the last year of a presidential term.

Fortunately, they have a handy justification for hypocrisy, the same one they’ve used lately to explain away any misdeed, from their unwavering support for the most corrupt and morally repugnant president in American history to shattering every democratic norm in sight: “Look what you made us do.”

It’s the cry of every domestic abuser blaming their victims for their crimes, and it has become the go-to excuse for Republicans. Yes, our actions are indefensible, but we had no choice, because Democrats are so mean.

Quote:
If the election were held today, Biden would win a sweeping victory and Democrats would take the Senate.

Should that happen, they will face a Republican Senate minority eager to filibuster literally every meaningful piece of legislation Biden and the majority of Congress support. They will face a Supreme Court that could nullify the Affordable Care Act, tossing 20 million people off health coverage, before it gets around to overturning Roe v. Wade, crippling labor unions, making it impossible for the federal government to regulate pollution and address climate change, and opening the door to even more Republican voter suppression.

So what will Democrats do?

They will have to react to what Republicans have done. That means eliminating the filibuster so they can actually pass legislation. If the Supreme Court does indeed throw the entire American health care system into chaos, it will mean quickly writing a sweeping health care reform bill — one that guarantees most or all Americans coverage through the federal government — to deal with the emergency Republicans created. And yes, it may mean expanding the court to prevent it from crippling the government’s ability to solve problems and cementing Republican minority rule.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:34 am    Post subject:

Quote:
David Corn @DavidCornDC

In pre-Trump times, a report like this would have triggered a massive scandal and a storm of media coverage. Now...it’s just Tuesday.

Washington Post: Secret CIA assessment: Putin ‘probably personally directing’ influence operation to denigrate Biden

Quote:
Russian President Vladimir Putin and his top aides are “probably directing” a Russian foreign influence operation to interfere in the 2020 presidential election against former vice president Joe Biden, which involves a prominent Ukrainian lawmaker connected to President Trump’s personal lawyer Rudolph W. Giuliani, a top-secret CIA assessment concluded, according to two sources who reviewed it.

On Aug. 31, the CIA published an assessment of Russian efforts to interfere in the November election in an internal, highly classified report called the CIA Worldwide Intelligence Review, the sources said. CIA analysts compiled the assessment with input from the National Security Agency and the FBI, based on several dozen pieces of information gleaned from public, unclassified and classified intelligence sources. The assessment includes details of the CIA’s analysis of the activities of Ukrainian lawmaker Andriy Derkach to disseminate disparaging information about Biden inside the United States through lobbyists, Congress, the media and contacts with figures close to the president.

“We assess that President Vladimir Putin and the senior most Russian officials are aware of and probably directing Russia’s influence operations aimed at denigrating the former U.S. Vice President, supporting the U.S. president and fueling public discord ahead of the U.S. election in November,” the first line of the document says, according to the sources.

Quote:
Engel told me he is not surprised to learn that parts of the intelligence community have concluded Putin is directly trying to help Trump’s election campaign, again. But he called on the administration to publicly release these findings.

“What’s most infuriating is that the administration seems to be doing everything it can to hide the facts from Congress and the American people,” he said. “The president seems to be trying to turn the entire executive branch into an arm of his reelection campaign, dangerously politicizing foreign policy and intelligence.”
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:38 am    Post subject:

Our weapon is the vote. Trump knows this. He'll do all in his power to suppress the vote. He's already forging a plan. Democrats must be ready to counter it. I've been voting by mail for years. I'm going to the polls for this one.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:40 am    Post subject:

Remember about a week ago when Joe Biden said that without Trump in office there are about 7-8 GOP Senators that would turn reasonable and work with him and Democrats to accomplish important legislation?

I hope this past week has disabused him of that notion.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:42 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Our weapon is the vote. Trump knows this. He'll do all in his power to suppress the vote. He's already forging a plan. Democrats must be ready to counter it. I've been voting by mail for years. I'm going to the polls for this one.

Good for you. Just be sure to do it safely. Early in-person voting is less stressful because you can pick the day without feeling pressured by a deadline.
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:52 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
Bloomberg raises $16 million to pay off the debts of Florida felons.

He will focus on those that owe less than $1500 and are primarily black and Latino, thinking they are likely to vote for Biden.

Good for him!
trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:53 am    Post subject:

I’ve decided to just do early voting instead of filling out my mail in and bringing it to the polls. I don’t even want to deal with signature matching shenanigans. My signature quite frankly sucks so I don’t even trust myself. I will probably bring my wife’s filled out mail in ballot with me and drop it off when I go to vote since she doesn’t have much time as a teacher.
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:00 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
You'd think Romney would want to separate himself from the sycophants in Washington if he is indeed running in 2024. Or maybe he's not running or maybe he thinks too much separation would hurt him with the base, even if Trump loses in a landslide. Whatever the case, he'll be just a footnote in history.

Romney is a conservative Mormon. Having a SC with a 6-3 conservative majority is something he would favor. It's who he is.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:03 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Good for you. Just be sure to do it safely. Early in-person voting is less stressful because you can pick the day without feeling pressured by a deadline.

Early voting starts in Los Angeles Oct 5th. I'm studying ballot measures. I usually take time to read and discuss them. I don't know if I have the fortitude to completely do that this time. For sure I'm going to vote for TrumP. J/K

SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:04 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Washington Post: Republicans are handing Democrats a reason to undertake massive reform

Quote:
When Mitt Romney announced Tuesday that he would not stand in the way of confirming President Trump’s nominee to fill the Supreme Court seat of the late Ruth Bader Ginsburg, it made the nominee’s confirmation all but certain. The real mystery is why anyone is surprised: Romney is a conservative Republican who would be only too happy to see a bulletproof 6-3 conservative majority, whether he likes Trump or not.

Which is true for every Republican in the Senate, even if Susan Collins of Maine and Lisa Murkowski of Alaska felt enough shame to publicly abide by the phony rule their party invented when President Barack Obama nominated Merrick Garland, that no vacancies should be filled in the last year of a presidential term.

Fortunately, they have a handy justification for hypocrisy, the same one they’ve used lately to explain away any misdeed, from their unwavering support for the most corrupt and morally repugnant president in American history to shattering every democratic norm in sight: “Look what you made us do.”

It’s the cry of every domestic abuser blaming their victims for their crimes, and it has become the go-to excuse for Republicans. Yes, our actions are indefensible, but we had no choice, because Democrats are so mean.

Quote:
If the election were held today, Biden would win a sweeping victory and Democrats would take the Senate.

Should that happen, they will face a Republican Senate minority eager to filibuster literally every meaningful piece of legislation Biden and the majority of Congress support. They will face a Supreme Court that could nullify the Affordable Care Act, tossing 20 million people off health coverage, before it gets around to overturning Roe v. Wade, crippling labor unions, making it impossible for the federal government to regulate pollution and address climate change, and opening the door to even more Republican voter suppression.

So what will Democrats do?

They will have to react to what Republicans have done. That means eliminating the filibuster so they can actually pass legislation. If the Supreme Court does indeed throw the entire American health care system into chaos, it will mean quickly writing a sweeping health care reform bill — one that guarantees most or all Americans coverage through the federal government — to deal with the emergency Republicans created. And yes, it may mean expanding the court to prevent it from crippling the government’s ability to solve problems and cementing Republican minority rule.

Unfortunately, I don't think this is a natural thought process for Joe Biden, he's still stuck in the "let's go back to bipartisan norms" mode. Here's hoping Kamala and some others can convince him otherwise. There is going to be so much crap to clean up after Trump.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2450, 2451, 2452 ... 3668, 3669, 3670  Next
Page 2451 of 3670
Jump to: