Rick Fox's radio interview
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
targetman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:52 am    Post subject: Rick Fox's radio interview

They asked him how this team compares to the teams he played on with Shaq and Kobe and he said that their own success came because they had played together long enough to get to know the flow of the star player's game and because they were willing to change their own game to fit with the stars. The role players followed the lead of Shaq and Kobe on the court (didn't just watch him like ours do) and learned how to read the game depending on what they did. They knew when Kobe got the look in his eye he was going to be shooting, so they positioned themselves for rebounds, they knew when to wait for their outside shots, they knew when they were going to be left open because they other guys were being doubled. Fox said that he changed his own skill set to complement what the Lakers needed and that the guys we have are still trying to figure out what they need to do. Sometimes it's the little things that make a big difference. Maybe with time we can get closer to that.

I see Mihm adopting that attitude, and Devean to some extent. They no longer watch the shot go up, but instead get ready for a rebound or putback.
KobeButler
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:12 am    Post subject:

yea mihm is coming along nicely. He seems to always anticipate Kobe's shots and goes for the offensive boards alot of the time.
karlmalonefan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:42 am    Post subject:

Reminds me of what Kobe said on Quite Frankly about looking at Shaq's weaknesses and making them his strengths so he would complement shaq. They need to get Foxy to have a sit down with the scrubs on this team and let them know that they aren't spectators, that they are out there to play with kobe and that their job on this team is to modify their games to compliment his...I've never seen so much standing around by everyone on the court not named kobe. How do you come down on offense and just stand there, not moving, waiting for Kobe to pull off some miracle. Everyone on this team is just way too passive.

Foxy's remarks also go toward what I've been saying about not blowing up the team every year. Sure you can tweak it, but the benefits of keeping a core together is that you learn to play together, develop a chemistry, and know what your teammate's tendencies are, etc. You can't develp that if you are constantly moving players in and out of a system...just ask KG...
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:23 am    Post subject:

Quote:
I see Mihm adopting that attitude, and Devean to some extent. They no longer watch the shot go up, but instead get ready for a rebound or putback

Mihm and Devean were always good offensive rebounders.

The guy that's grabbed more O boards than usual is Odom. Especially in the last month or so.

Infact, even as a rebounder LO can do better. Tex thinks he should grab anywhere from 12-15 rebounds when he understands the offense completely .....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ShadyG
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:28 am    Post subject:

If anyone on this team would consistently and rabidly go after the offensive glass the way Devean did last game, we would really have something. What did he have, like 7 offensive boards?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
tw-lakbfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:40 am    Post subject:

Good points. Our scrubs need to get the idea too.
straylight
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject:

odom needs to find that mid-range shot.

-stray

`That depends a good deal on where you want to get to,' said the Cat.
Ozendorph
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:18 am    Post subject:

Maybe we can bring Rick in as a Special Consultant on Scrubology. He can give our skill-challenged players much needed instruction.

YOU ARE NOT A UNIQUE SNOWFLAKE.
karlmalonefan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject:

Scrubology! Why not, we have a special consultant/assistant coach for everything else...
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject:

wolf,

Did Tex say "12-15 rebounds" or is that a number you came up with.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:
wolf,

Did Tex say "12-15 rebounds" or is that a number you came up with.

I read it in the Tex interview ... a while back.

It was posted here too

I'm assuming he meant the usual defensive rebounds - but with better offensive rebounding numbers.
japanesebeef1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject:

These are great comments by Rick Fox. As you'll recall, Rick was offered big money to stay in Boston and be "the star", but he took less money to come to LA, do the dirty work, play defense, box out, let the stars be stars, and win championships. Class guy . . . with his priorities straight.
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:43 am    Post subject:

Ozendorph wrote:
Maybe we can bring Rick in as a Special Consultant on Scrubology.

Unfortunately, his first class would be Letting Your Soul Glow 101.
Ozendorph
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:51 am    Post subject:

Exick wrote:
Ozendorph wrote:

Maybe he'd mix in some acting lessons too. We could soon see Ford commercials starring the likes of Sasha and Gump.

Von Wafer: "When I'm not watching the Lakers from my courtside seat, I'm cruising the scene in my Mustang GT."
karlmalonefan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject:

Exick wrote:
Ozendorph wrote:

You guys are hilarious! I love this place...
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Rick Fox's radio interview

targetman wrote:
They asked him how this team compares to the teams he played on with Shaq and Kobe and he said that their own success came because they had played together long enough to get to know the flow of the star player's game and because they were willing to change their own game to fit with the stars. The role players followed the lead of Shaq and Kobe on the court (didn't just watch him like ours do) and learned how to read the game depending on what they did. They knew when Kobe got the look in his eye he was going to be shooting, so they positioned themselves for rebounds, they knew when to wait for their outside shots, they knew when they were going to be left open because they other guys were being doubled. Fox said that he changed his own skill set to complement what the Lakers needed and that the guys we have are still trying to figure out what they need to do. Sometimes it's the little things that make a big difference. Maybe with time we can get closer to that.

I see Mihm adopting that attitude, and Devean to some extent. They no longer watch the shot go up, but instead get ready for a rebound or putback.

That's the same thing Devean said a couple of games ago. He said that because he'd been playing with Kobe so long, his game was already adapted to Kobe and he knew when to push, where to move, what to do based upon Kobe's game - and that the other teammates are still trying to figure all that stuff out. He also said that once they do, the team will be far more potent. I'm paraphrasing, of course, as I certainly don't remember Devean's words verbatim.
prisma8slg
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject:

Ozendorph wrote:
Exick wrote:
Ozendorph wrote:

Maybe he'd mix in some acting lessons too. We could soon see Ford commercials starring the likes of Sasha and Gump.

Von Wafer: "When I'm not watching the Lakers from my courtside seat, I'm cruising the scene in my Mustang GT."

"I've seen it all. Sasha dunked on somebody," Kobe Bryant said. "I'm ready to retire now."
lakers1969
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject:

KobeButler wrote:
yea mihm is coming along nicely. He seems to always anticipate Kobe's shots and goes for the offensive boards alot of the time.

Now that's what I'm talking about. If Suns got the Marions then we can have Mihm, Cookie, Devon, The beast to just be prepared for the offensive rebound. So far Devon seems to be very consistent on that.
lakers1969
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject:

japanesebeef1 wrote:
These are great comments by Rick Fox. As you'll recall, Rick was offered big money to stay in Boston and be "the star", but he took less money to come to LA, do the dirty work, play defense, box out, let the stars be stars, and win championships. Class guy . . . with his priorities straight.

and was formerly married to hmmmm....Vanessa.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Rick Fox's radio interview

targetman wrote:

^^this is exactly what i've been saying for the entire time. everytime i see a post about trading everyone. All these guys have to do, is Play With kobe, just like rick fox stated. now fox did lie though. because i recall a many of game during the season, where they would just watch kobe or shaq, and not do anything. But for the most part he's correct.

its like football. perhaps you're not getting the touches as a wide out, so what can you do? Run the heck out of your route, to keep defenders honest and from doubling the main receiver. also if the guy catches it and starts to bolt for the endzone. BLOCK. dont just watch him and think "go, go". block for the man. thats a team touchdown, no matter what the media calls it. Same concept with the lakers.
bounty
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:26 am    Post subject:

Fox embraced playing in the mecca of life. he embraced all the glory and Pitfalls that came with the Lakers. Some of the players (remain nameless) dont seem to quite get it. Lets just say kwame for example woke up and said
"If I go out there out physical centers and grab 15rbs, I will bethe man with posters all over LA". Thats was Foxs mentality.Hes not Kobe, hes not shaq, but I can be special and be a huge part of W's. He was.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject:

bounty wrote:
Fox embraced playing in the mecca of life. he embraced all the glory and Pitfalls that came with the Lakers. Some of the players (remain nameless) dont seem to quite get it. Lets just say kwame for example woke up and said
"If I go out there out physical centers and grab 15rbs, I will bethe man with posters all over LA". Thats was Foxs mentality.Hes not Kobe, hes not shaq, but I can be special and be a huge part of W's. He was.

2 things bounty about ricky foxxy,

1. he was a bonafide VET when he came to the lakers. he already had his days as being THEE MAN in boston, or at least one of THEE MEN. Kwame was thee man only because of draft position. nothing else. he balled some, and other times he sucked when in washington. but all in all the guy is not a VET. Wizards really did not handle him correctly. you notice how the lakers are handling bynum. pairing him up with a great. now i know the wizards dont have have a ton of great big men hanging around the locker room. but so what. make some phone calls. the reason kwame still cant catch and still blows basic layups is partially on the wizards management.

I'll tell you this, dont ever let me get close enough to kwame for more then 2 minutes on a bball court, and there's a ball to play with. I will teach him myself. I dont care what everyone else says or does. you protect your investment.

Then and only then can you guage his usefullness as a teammate.

2. Rick fox wanted to be an actor. therefore he LOVES Hollywood, lights camera action. the guy thrives off of hollywood, not just sit there and glare in the lights in awe. fox wanted to be a part of the lights. thats a different mentality a lot of guys do not have.

2b. even though Rick played for boston who haven't really won games since maybe 1990 or prior. there was still that winning air blowing thru the AC vents in the Boston Arena. there was somewhat an expectation to win in boston. to get back to be an elite team

The wizards on the other hand, were suck, and always sucked for the most part. that plays a huge role in a guys mentality. if he comes from a losing environment. it aint like that here in LA LA land. we expect winning. and even though we wont curse you out and boo you to death at the games like philly or New york. you can see that stare coming from the crowd that suggests, disgust with losing and not dominating. that plays a toll on guys. on most guys.

its not just who's a good fit in the triangle, or who's a good fit to play along side kobe. its who's a good fit mentally in L.A. Most teams all you need is the prior to things to go well and everything is a go. we need all three. but once we find all 3. then we will run off 2 or 3 or more rings in a row.
bounty
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject:

postandpivot wrote:
bounty wrote:

2 things bounty about ricky foxxy,

1. he was a bonafide VET when he came to the lakers. he already had his days as being THEE MAN in boston, or at least one of THEE MEN. Kwame was thee man only because of draft position. nothing else. he balled some, and other times he sucked when in washington. but all in all the guy is not a VET. Wizards really did not handle him correctly. you notice how the lakers are handling bynum. pairing him up with a great. now i know the wizards dont have have a ton of great big men hanging around the locker room. but so what. make some phone calls. the reason kwame still cant catch and still blows basic layups is partially on the wizards management.

I'll tell you this, dont ever let me get close enough to kwame for more then 2 minutes on a bball court, and there's a ball to play with. I will teach him myself. I dont care what everyone else says or does. you protect your investment.

Then and only then can you guage his usefullness as a teammate.

2. Rick fox wanted to be an actor. therefore he LOVES Hollywood, lights camera action. the guy thrives off of hollywood, not just sit there and glare in the lights in awe. fox wanted to be a part of the lights. thats a different mentality a lot of guys do not have.

2b. even though Rick played for boston who haven't really won games since maybe 1990 or prior. there was still that winning air blowing thru the AC vents in the Boston Arena. there was somewhat an expectation to win in boston. to get back to be an elite team

The wizards on the other hand, were suck, and always sucked for the most part. that plays a huge role in a guys mentality. if he comes from a losing environment. it aint like that here in LA LA land. we expect winning. and even though we wont curse you out and boo you to death at the games like philly or New york. you can see that stare coming from the crowd that suggests, disgust with losing and not dominating. that plays a toll on guys. on most guys.

its not just who's a good fit in the triangle, or who's a good fit to play along side kobe. its who's a good fit mentally in L.A. Most teams all you need is the prior to things to go well and everything is a go. we need all three. but once we find all 3. then we will run off 2 or 3 or more rings in a row.

I loved Fox. He brought it every game. For being a pretty boy he just brought the pain. he sacrificed Soooooooooooo much for us. His ego, his scoring. Thats why when he was embraced this year at staples (62) it made me proud. I wish stuff like that rubbed off on our current players.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject:

One thing Foxy could definitely teach our role players today is how to knock someone on their rear. Our players are too soft and don't step up to knock a player down in the paint or get Kobe's back when he gets mauled by an opposing player. That's one of the reasons Kobe is 2nd in tech's this year. My favorite images of Foxy are of him getting up in the grills of opposing players whenever they tried to mess with anyone else on the team.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject:

The difference was our role players back then had high basketball IQ's. They understood what adjustments needed to be made from game to game, even IN the game.

Fox, Horry, Shaw, Harper, even Fisher, all had physical weaknesses, but made up for it with their intellectual approach to the game. This team is the opposite, it has players who have physical gifts, but low IQ's.

Part of that is due to inexperience. I have faith in maybe 2 or 3 players who might be able to come around and become decent role players in a few years (doesn't include Lamar, because he's already a decent role player).

Plus it was probably easier for those 3-peat role players to adjust to 2 superstars who opened up the offense rather than just one. Right now it's just Kobe and everyone else, and everyone else is trying to get their piece. They need another star who can both compliment Kobe, and also help define the roles of all the other guys. Just one good player to help Kobe out would do so much for this team as a whole (i.e. the role players)
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: