2017 shooting guard free agents
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HoumanMD
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:26 pm    Post subject: 2017 shooting guard free agents

In the spirit of this weekend, I am grateful for the Lakers season so far.

Now, assuming the Lakers aren't going to trade any of the core and won't have a first round draft pick. Who will they sign on the off season?

https://www.google.com/amp/hoopshype.com/2016/11/01/nba-free-agency-2017-the-top-players/amp/?client=safari

I think their most glaring need is a shooting guard. Out of the top 45 free agents only 8 can be considered shooting guards.

Caldwell-Pope: worth keeping an eye on. Two way player

JJ Reddick: would shoot the lights out

Andre Roberson: young can grow with team

Rudy Gay (although listed at SF): may be the best option for a "star"

Tony Allen: too old

Tyreke Evans

Michael Carter Williams: 6'6 point guard (combo guard) in the mold of position-less players

Dwane Wade. No thank you.

Thoughts?
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:40 pm    Post subject:

Gordon Hayward would be our target if we finish better than the Jazz. KCP would be our RFA target if we decided to go for it, Redick is someone we'll likely test the waters on but I can't see leaving the Clippers.

Roberson is what he will be and not a starting 2 in this league, Evans can't be counted on to stay healthy, Wade I don't think would come here but I wouldn't mind it, MCW would be a great backup 1 in the Livingston role.
Shaolin's Finest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:54 pm    Post subject:

I'm a fan of JJ Redick but he'd likely command too much money. Nick Young on a short term deal would be great. There really isn't much else in free agency this offseason.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:59 pm    Post subject:

That is why I think we add a backup role player or two next offseason.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:12 pm    Post subject:

How much would MCW roughly cost? Nick Young?
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:16 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
How much would MCW roughly cost? Nick Young?

Given the direction his career has gone, and his injury this year, he'd probably cost as much as a guy that's about to fall out of the league.

I'd say 3-5M. Depends if Chicago has any interest in retaining him as an RFA. If Chicago RELEASES him though.. I would most DEFINITELY pick him up on wavers if I was the Lakers if we could. I don't know if we could, we'd likely have to wait till he cleared waivers and then make an attempt. But I wouldn't be against that.
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:19 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Gordon Hayward would be our target if we finish better than the Jazz. KCP would be our RFA target if we decided to go for it, Redick is someone we'll likely test the waters on but I can't see leaving the Clippers.

Roberson is what he will be and not a starting 2 in this league, Evans can't be counted on to stay healthy, Wade I don't think would come here but I wouldn't mind it, MCW would be a great backup 1 in the Livingston role.

no matter where we finish Hayward will be our target. we never play the rfa game so there's that.

MCW being in Livingston role is so misinformed. Livingston is automatic from mid range while MCW cant hit to save his life
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:20 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

Roberson has been starting for two seasons now. In fact, he averaged like 30 minutes in the WCF last year. Roberson's length was a major factor in that epic playoff run they had season. Donovan is a coach who sees the value of defense.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
MJST wrote:

Roberson has been starting for two seasons now. In fact, he averaged like 30 minutes in the WCF last year. Roberson's length was a major factor in that epic playoff run they had season. Donovan is a coach who sees the value of defense.

The factor in the major playoff run was Durant, Westbrook, Ibaka and Adams.

Roberson was an afterthought just like he was throughout the season and just like he is this year.

For what Roberson can do defensively, he can't do offensively which is why a lot of Thunder fans hate the guy and belittle him around every corner.

If he could just be a 37% three point shooter he'd be perfect, but he's not, he's a 30% three point shooter and that's kind of a problem, a major problem.

This is why guys like Avery Bradley are so valuable at the 2 position. Not a superstar, but a two way player because of his defense and ability to shoot from three.
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 shooting guard free agents

HoumanMD wrote:
In the spirit of this weekend, I am grateful for the Lakers season so far.

Now, assuming the Lakers aren't going to trade any of the core and won't have a first round draft pick. Who will they sign on the off season?

https://www.google.com/amp/hoopshype.com/2016/11/01/nba-free-agency-2017-the-top-players/amp/?client=safari

I think their most glaring need is a shooting guard. Out of the top 45 free agents only 8 can be considered shooting guards.

Caldwell-Pope: worth keeping an eye on. Two way player

JJ Reddick: would shoot the lights out

Andre Roberson: young can grow with team

Rudy Gay (although listed at SF): may be the best option for a "star"

Tony Allen: too old

Tyreke Evans

Michael Carter Williams: 6'6 point guard (combo guard) in the mold of position-less players

Dwane Wade. No thank you.

Thoughts?

not at the SG spot but i like couple of names from that list:

Gordon Hayward
Jrue Holiday
Danilo Gallinari
George Hill
Robert Covington
fontana3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:36 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

Not if your OKC because Roberson starts for them.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:38 pm    Post subject:

fontana3d wrote:
MJST wrote:

For this year, OKC passed on his option, so it is likely he is elsewhere next season.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:45 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
MJST wrote:

No, the factor in the major playoff run was Durant, Westbrook, Ibaka and Adams.

Roberson was an afterthought just like he was throughout the season and just like he is this year.

For what Roberson can do defensively, he can't do offensively which is why a lot of Thunder fans hate the guy and belittle him around every corner.

If he could just be a 37% three point shooter he'd be perfect, but he's not, he's a 30% three point shooter and that's kind of a problem, a major problem.

This is why guys like Avery Bradley are so valuable at the 2 position. Not a superstar, but a two way player because of his defense and ability to shoot from three.

Right, so just let's take credit away from him by mentioning all the other names on that squad. That's not a very reasonable argument. Are you even aware that he shot 44% from the three in the WCF last season? Paradoxically, it wasn't his offense that made the difference in the playoffs. The Thunder took the Warriors to 7 games with length and versatility, and Roberson was a big part of that defensive dynamic. His ability to switch and defend all 5 positions was the reason Donovan played him for 30 minutes a game. You say he's not a starter in the league, but he has started and will continue to start for them.

And Thunder fans don't belittle him as much as Singler. That guy will always be their main target. At the very least, they realize Roberson is part of the young core and many aspects of his game are salvageable. He has shown ability to hit that outside shot.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:58 pm    Post subject:

If Jrue can stay healthy...
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:13 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
fontana3d wrote:
MJST wrote:

For this year, OKC passed on his option, so it is likely he is elsewhere next season.

Doesn't this kid shot like 25% from Ft? Scores less than 7 points per game?

There's this guy named Nick that plays for the Lakers that scores close to 14 points per game is an over 90% FT... of course he's getting up an age but going to Roberson is a big drop, I'd say...
Roon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:45 pm    Post subject:

Yes please on Hayward. Will stay on that pipe until it's taken from my cold dead hands.

JJ will be too old/expensive.
Caldwell is RFA
Allen too old
Gay never got me excited

Jrue Holiday/George Hill- I hesitate giving up size here, but these two are the most talented "realistics" on the list. The way last season went they may be commanding a max so that's a little offputting.

Until he gives me a reason not to I'll take signing Nick Young at a reasonable rate/length.

If Nick Young turns to poop or is offered way more from another team I'll take a look and see if Luke and the FO think they could get something out of MCW/Roberson on offense.

If we sign Holiday/Hill the Lakers should probably look to move Clarkson yeah?

Roberson is one way player, maybe...
Yong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:25 pm    Post subject:

Gordon Hayward hands down
Ujah's Goat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:40 pm    Post subject:

Include a list of PG's as well. D'Lo can play both guard spots.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:41 pm    Post subject:

Or just merge to the 2017 FA thread.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:41 pm    Post subject:

We need a backup point guard.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:54 pm    Post subject:

Miss playoffs, get lucky in lotto and get Lonzo Ball?
Yong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:13 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:

Only way we keep our pick is if it is top 3. So Josh Jackson
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:21 pm    Post subject:

Caldwell-Pope is a good option. 16 pts & 10 assists against Clippers tonight. But I think Pistons will max him.

Maybe a 2 year max deal for D.Rose? Him and DLo will be an interesting back court with Lou and JC off the bench.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:45 pm    Post subject:

Yong wrote:
epak wrote:

Only way we keep our pick is if it is top 3. So Josh Jackson

Lakers with another #2 pick: Lonzo Ball
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:05 am    Post subject:

I still think Clarkson ends up as the starting SG long term. Luke just has to figure out different lineups.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: