Chick Hearn's 100th Birthday Tribute (post memories, Chick-isms, etc.)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:39 pm    Post subject: Chick Hearn's 100th Birthday Tribute (post memories, Chick-isms, etc.)

Chick Hearn's 100th Birthday Tribute

Quote:
With a game on Sunday, Nov. 27, 2016, the Lakers pay tribute to legendary broadcaster Chick Hearn, who was born exactly 100 years before this day. Hearn was vital to the Lakers’ popularity beginning in the 1960s, and he forged the sport’s vocabulary by coming up with phrases like “slam dunk” and “triple-double.” Hearn’s legacy still endures 14 years after his death, and he remains revered by those in and around the Lakers. Lakers.com’s Joey Ramirez is joined by current broadcasters Stu Lantz, John Ireland and Bill Macdonald, who recall stories of listening to and working with Chick.

http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/161127-popcorn-machine-chick-hearn

* The Best of Chick Hearn

* https://www.facebook.com/losangeleslakers/photos/pb.144917055340.-2207520000.1480290396./10157873598975341/?type=3&theater

* https://socialfeed.info/we-ve-got-the-hawks-in-town-for-chick-hearn-night-at-6-30-pm-pt-11417236

Last edited by pio2u on Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:02 pm; edited 6 times in total
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:41 pm    Post subject:

His call in the 2002 WCF against the Kings in game 4 when Horry made the shot is one of my favorite calls plus the Magic skyhook.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:42 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
His call in the 2002 WCF against the Kings in game 4 when Horry made the shot is one of my favorite calls plus the Magic skyhook.

Both were fantastic! .... Chick doing Chick, as only he could.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:57 pm    Post subject:

Chick Hearn 3000th Broadcast Ceremony

pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:01 pm    Post subject:

* CHICK-ISMS:

http://www.abbaroo.com/lakers/chick.html

* 20 Best Chick Hearn 'Chickisms' of All Time

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/820103-20-best-chick-hearn-chickisms-of-all-time
Chick-N-Stew
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:35 pm    Post subject:

God Bless Francis.
Daikatana
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:44 pm    Post subject:

*Sigh* I am so blessed to grow up listening to this guy on 570 KLAC, and on KCAL 9...I would tune in to hear him answer calls an hour before the game, and even listen to his post game on the radio. It was great because everything he said you could just really imagine what was going on without seeing it.

The ones I feel sorry for is the next generation that will never get to hear another golden voice like his...

Happy Birthday Chick...
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:01 pm    Post subject:

Too much mustard on the hotdog Kobe!
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:09 pm    Post subject:

!...
irielight
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:37 pm    Post subject:

Daikatana wrote:
*Sigh* I am so blessed to grow up listening to this guy on 570 KLAC, and on KCAL 9...I would tune in to hear him answer calls an hour before the game, and even listen to his post game on the radio. It was great because everything he said you could just really imagine what was going on without seeing it.

The ones I feel sorry for is the next generation that will never get to hear another golden voice like his...

Happy Birthday Chick...

This...

Listening in the car, you could actually picture the action.

In LA, we have been so fortunate... we had the greatest baseball play-by-play man of all-time in Vin Scully (who successfully made the pace of the game intriguing throughout with his stories and insight) and the greatest basketball play-by-play guy of all-time in Chick.

I worry that people are forgetting Chick's greatness as time goes by. It's no small feat that he was able to make such a fast-paced, frenetic game come alive in my mind. I wouldn't call out a specific memory, as many will be justifiably discussed in this thread, but it was his ability to describe the action that I will remember.

Happy Birthday to the greatest ever... Chick Hearn...
RestEasyBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:04 pm    Post subject:

I would have loved to hear Chicky Baby during the Byron era. He would've at least been entertaining
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:28 pm    Post subject:

Daikatana wrote:

Happy Birthday Chick...

Yep! That's my memory as well. Driving around in my gosh Chevrolet Chevette (try not to laugh too hard), listening to Chick on the radio while I'd be going to you know whatever crap job I had at the time, or going to a friends house or sometimes going to the game. And then of course his voice during the game itself... Ah goodtimes...

OH - and a friend of mine told me a funny story about Chick; my friend is a veterinarian and check happen to bring one of his dogs to the veterinary office where my friend was working at that time. And my friend totally recognized him but was trying to be a professional you know. So they go through the whole appointment, doggie is OK, walk back to Chick's car and by that point my friend still had not said anything. So finally Chick turned to him and said "son, don't you know who I am? " at which point my friend sufficiently fanboy-d out and Chick was satisfied with their meeting !!!!!
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject:

SLAAAAAM DUNK!
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:22 pm    Post subject:

Met him once at Sports Chalet. I remember him most for his personality, how much he loved basketball, how much he loved people.
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:24 pm    Post subject:

24ways2die wrote:
I would have loved to hear Chicky Baby during the Byron era. He would've at least been entertaining

Wouldn't have had as many refrigerators to call. And due to nature of comebacks, he would have his share of failed refrigerators. 8 point leads with 2 min left aren't as safe as they were in the past, for example.
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:48 pm    Post subject:

You could listen to Chick call a game on the radio and he was so descriptive you could "see" the game in your mind.

When I was a little kid, on school nights, sometimes my bedtime was before the game was over. So I'd put my clock radio under the bedcovers and pillow and listen to the game with the volume turned low so no one would know. Well, my little sister shared a room with me and could probably hear it but she knew I'd kick her butt if she tattled.

And when I was in college and living in No Cal, I would be driving home to So Cal and if a Laker game was on the radio I would listen. I could always pick up a radio station that had Chick's simulcast. If I lost one station's signal, I could always find another by scanning the channels for Chick's voice. Whether I was driving thru Fresno, Bakersfield, Salinas or Santa Barbara I could always hear Chick calling the game.

Miss you Chick
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:57 pm    Post subject:

"We're high above the western sideline here in Chick's Nest at the Fabulous Forum, the House that Jack built."
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:13 pm    Post subject:

Came across this one from 2001 finals, pregame show when fans called in:

pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:59 pm    Post subject:

Lakers won one tonight for Chick!!
gumby
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:09 pm    Post subject:

Daikatana wrote:

Happy Birthday Chick...

I distinctly remember Chick being frank and upset that the Lakers lost to the Jazz to end the season in the playoffs in mid/late 90s. He said, the team wasn't playing smart. They were not in as precise and disciplined as they were. Most importantly he was taking the post game calls and all the fans were upset. Chick finally broke down and said, what do you want me to say? I am upset and disappointed in the team too. But life goes on.

It was one of the few time I felt the anger and tone from Chick over the air. Not so much about the callers but that he shared the all the callers' sentiment even though he was supposed to be so even keeled and balanced about the Lakers.

Don't know if there is a recording of that but it stuck in my mind.

Bye.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:30 pm    Post subject:

Legend
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:55 pm    Post subject:

Most of the play by play guys that came after Chick have not been very good. Spero Didas was the best so far.
Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:26 pm    Post subject:

Happy birthday to the greatest.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:39 pm    Post subject:

I wish there was clip of when Chick did some voice acing on an early episode of Rugrats. Kind of surreal to see him in animated form.

!...
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: Chick Hearn's 100th Birthday Tribute (post memories, Chick-isms, etc.)

pio2u wrote:

* The Best of Chick Hearn

I made that by the way. This uploader stole it from here and up'd it in piss quality. I will have my revenge!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: