Chick Hearn's 100th Birthday Tribute (post memories, Chick-isms, etc.)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Nightbringer
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:48 am    Post subject:

Me, my dad and my sister went to a season game that had to be back in early '96 or before (since it was before Shaq joined the team) which was to be my first and only trip ever to the (Great Western) Forum. I forgot what team we were up against (The Hawks I think? I want to say it was the Hawks because that was the season that they changed from their old Pac-Man logo)

Lakers ended up winning and I remember at the end of the game after most everyone had filtered out, Chick and Stu stayed behind (Stu did a postgame show on the radio) for a bit.

At 8 years old I gave Chick Hearn a high-five from where he sat at the commentator's box and we shouted out to Stu who smiled and waved back at us. One of my greatest Laker memories and one I'll cherish forever.

City_Dawg wrote:
I wish there was clip of when Chick did some voice acing on an early episode of Rugrats. Kind of surreal to see him in animated form.

He also guest-voiced on Garfield!
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:05 am    Post subject:

Lakers Honor Chick Hearn on 100th Anniversary of His Birth

Hearn was the Lakers play-by-play announcer from the start of their radio broadcasts during the 1961 NBA playoffs until his death in 2002.

Quote:
The Los Angeles Lakers marked Sunday's 100th anniversary of the birth of their late longtime broadcaster Chick Hearn with a school supplies drive and presentation of two scholarships to USC broadcasting students.
"He's part of what makes this organization so famous and so loved by fans," Laker coach Luke Walton said before the game against the Atlanta Hawks at Staples Center. "I know he means a lot to a lot of people here in LA."

Source: http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Lakers-Honor-Chick-Hearn-on-100th-Anniversary-of-His-Birth--403304526.html#ixzz4RJArUqiE
CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:52 am    Post subject:

One of my fondest memories of Chick is not a singular one, but rather the way he always kept the telecasts enjoyable when times weren't good after Magic retired in 1991.

Those few seasons between the end of the Magic era and beginning of the Lake Show days, the team wasn't always good, but Chick was ALWAYS GREAT.

Those who were fortunate enough to hear him will never forget him, and those that weren't sadly missed something and someone truly amazing.

14 years gone, time has done nothing to diminish his memory. He was, is, and always will be...The Voice of the Lakers.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:00 am    Post subject:

CabinCreek44 wrote:
One of my fondest memories of Chick is not a singular one, but rather the way he always kept the telecasts enjoyable when times weren't good after Magic retired in 1991.

Those few seasons between the end of the Magic era and beginning of the Lake Show days, the team wasn't always good, but Chick was ALWAYS GREAT.

Those who were fortunate enough to hear him will never forget him, and those that weren't sadly missed something and someone truly amazing.

14 years gone, time has done nothing to diminish his memory. He was, is, and always will be...The Voice of the Lakers.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:46 pm    Post subject:

CabinCreek44 wrote:

I was lucky enough last year to catch and tivo a snippet of Chick on Gilligan's Island in 1967. I was surfing and happened to stop right on his face and I was naturally "wth?!" He was playing his anchorman role. I don't ever recall actually seeing him in person on the show, only his voice on the radio. Like many other things, I still haven't found the time to upload it. The word I'd use to describe Chick in those days is debonair. He was a handsome gent. In that regard, he reminded me a lot of Bob Barker and vice versa. Jovial, smooth, likeable, quick-witted, and seamlessly prepared. Natural gift for being on TV or any other media.
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:

In that regard, he reminded me a lot of Bob Barker and vice versa. Jovial, smooth, likeable, quick-witted, and seamlessly prepared. Natural gift for being on TV or any other media.

Two of my favorite TV/Radio personalities right there. Well described t

My favorite memory was getting to meet Chick in person back at the Forum. Was a kid and parents took us to a game, and of course, we went to look for Chick sitting in his perch pre-game. Found him, and was so nervous, asked him if he was Chick Hearn. His witty self responded "That's what my mother named me, I sure hope I am" and willingly took a photo with me w/o being difficult despite it being a few mins before game time.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject:

"Last touched by a crying Kevin McHale..."

"Magic down the middle... Hookshot at 12... GOOOOOD!!"
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:52 pm    Post subject:

The Nightbringer wrote:

City_Dawg wrote:
I wish there was clip of when Chick did some voice acing on an early episode of Rugrats. Kind of surreal to see him in animated form.

Oh my god, that is fantastic.

!...
Druggas
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:50 am    Post subject:

When Chick died, so did everyone of us who hung on his every word.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:17 pm    Post subject:

He was not just an announcer, he was a teacher too and he taught me most everything I knew about basketball...
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:55 pm    Post subject:

Chick's voice was the soundtrack of my life for decades.
eznoh
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject:

Home from college xmas '65 thinking "This guy is pretty good", they should keep him!

Mike
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject:

Back before the days of DVRs or the ability to watch the entire season we had Chick to make us experience the game just by listening to him on the radio. I still remember days of sitting in friends' garages listening to the game on the radio when the games weren't on TV.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject:

I was a Chick fan before I was a Lakers fan

5 Johnsons...
http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=jl5t75&s=6#.WclWzUp962w

the rebound is off to McAdoo...thank heavens!
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject:

The Nightbringer wrote:
Me, my dad and my sister went to a season game that had to be back in early '96 or before (since it was before Shaq joined the team) which was to be my first and only trip ever to the (Great Western) Forum. I forgot what team we were up against (The Hawks I think? I want to say it was the Hawks because that was the season that they changed from their old Pac-Man logo)

Lakers ended up winning and I remember at the end of the game after most everyone had filtered out, Chick and Stu stayed behind (Stu did a postgame show on the radio) for a bit.

At 8 years old I gave Chick Hearn a high-five from where he sat at the commentator's box and we shouted out to Stu who smiled and waved back at us. One of my greatest Laker memories and one I'll cherish forever.

City_Dawg wrote:

Nice
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject:

I was not an immediate fan of Chick's schtick when he took the Laker mike in Los Angeles. But in the course of a couple or three seasons, he surely and slowly imprinted his rhythm and pace and cornball sayings on me. He really grew on me. Sometime in the late sixties, our whole family was in the fold. We've been a lucky Laker family to have had such an original and enthusiastic voice fill the airwaves for so long. He was the best and last of the great basketball radio play-by-play men to make the transition to TV with no fall-off in entertainment value.

Favorite niche saying: "If Jay Carty moved any slower he'd be a chair."

Favorite popular saying: "Ball into Kareem, the big man dribbles once, fakes right, swings left, shoots right, two points."

The words-eye view, just beautiful stuff. Ah, still miss him, always will.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
Back before the days of DVRs or the ability to watch the entire season we had Chick to make us experience the game just by listening to him on the radio. I still remember days of sitting in friends' garages listening to the game on the radio when the games weren't on TV.

He was great for radio. “The Lakers moving from left to right on your radio dial.”

I posted this before but if the Cardinals hadn’t selected Jack Buck over him for a minor league announcing job, the Lakers might never have gotten him. In my mind the two greatest in their respective sports.
Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject:

Happy Birthday Chicky baby. Love you like my own grandpa. The greatest Laker of all time.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject:

Chick will always remind me of those times as a kid I used to sit and watch Laker games with my Dad (and sometimes my Mom, too). RIP to them all.
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:49 pm    Post subject:

24ways2die wrote:
I would have loved to hear Chicky Baby during the Byron era. He would've at least been entertaining

People would've torn him up on here because he'd be too classy to trash Byron.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject:

Francis Dayle "Chick" Hearn
Born: November 27, 1916
Died: August 5, 2002

Chick Hearn called his first Lakers game in March 1961.
His final game was June 12, 2002 when the Lakers beat the New Jersey Nets 113-107 in the NBA Finals.
JamezAmp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject:

Thank God for the old NBA audio pass back in the 90s. I got to hear Chick like all you lucky bastards did
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:27 pm    Post subject:

Chick loved the game and the people in the game. Of all the games I heard him announce, the one I will never forget was the one the day that Bobby Phills was killed in a car accident. The pain and empathy came through those TV speakers as only Chick could do.
kevin61
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject:

Chick was my all time favorite Laker, there won't be another like him ever. So glad I got to have him for the 30 years I did.
kevin61
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Chick loved the game and the people in the game. Of all the games I heard him announce, the one I will never forget was the one the day that Bobby Phills was killed in a car accident. The pain and empathy came through those TV speakers as only Chick could do.

He sure was great, us older guys were lucky to have him.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: